Author Topic: Spacebar feeling funny after changing key caps...  (Read 2302 times)

Offline jdreamer

Spacebar feeling funny after changing key caps...
« on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 22:17:26 »
Greetings all...

I have recently purchased a new set of PBT blank key caps from eBay but after changing to them on my Filco, my spacebar isn't functioning properly. I have to press it real hard to work...

Can someone tell me whether I have anything silly or missed a step? Pressing it hard in the middle bit seems to work but the side, not at all.
My life for Aiur!

Offline SixtyLife

Re: Spacebar feeling funny after changing key caps...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 23:02:03 »
sounds like your spacebar stabilizer isn't properly set. try taking the spacebar off and re-setting it, this time making sure that you connect the stabilizer properly
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 23:44:18 »
Not sure where did my previous post's gone. Yes, I found out that it's the stabiliser, it keeps coming off. It doesn't stay in place as the holes are a little bit bigger so both the stabiliser will be loosened up everytime I press on it.

Any customed spacebar or suggestions that I can buy? I'm thinking of getting a separate spacebar from imsto directly - http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=99 but also afraid that it will be the same issue..
My life for Aiur!

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 23:53:36 »
try cutting a bit of cling wrap or tape and put it over the stem then connect the spacebar. it will give you a tighter fit.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline SixtyLife

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 00:05:06 »
Oh nice idea, I will give it a go.
My life for Aiur!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 00:53:49 »
Stabilizers are the Devil's work, I swear.

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 01:08:07 »
I tried and it still didn't work.. seems like the length isn't right. Haha.. maybe I didn't get the right size or something... Oh wear, less than 18 bucks for a full tenkeyless PBT set, expected error somewhere. :/

Time to hunt for a nice spacebar. Any suggestion? :D
My life for Aiur!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 05:52:15 »
Filco should have a standard layout.  Can you compare the stems under the new space bar with the original Filco space bar?

I use 1cm square sections of a Woolies plastic shopping bag to good effect when stabiliser inserts won't stay in.

Or a thicker plastic, like JB-HiFi has.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 07:28:12 »
rowdy, did you do it the same way like the reddit link?

My life for Aiur!

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 23:37:22 »
Just tried with cling wrap and it worked wonder!! THANKS!!! :D
My life for Aiur!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 05:49:31 »
rowdy, did you do it the same way like the reddit link?

FWIW no, I turned the keycap upside down, put the little square of plastic over the stem, then pushed the stabiliser insert in.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ