Author Topic: [IC] Totally Radical Deskmats *REVISIONS AND IC FORM*  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

[IC] Totally Radical Deskmats *REVISIONS AND IC FORM*
« on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 00:51:04 »
Hello everyone! This was something that was brought up as a suggestion in GMK Retrowave, and I wanted to get it out in the open for everyone. This is my first IC, so to be honest, I'm not entirely sure I am doing this right. Please help haha. Without any further muttering...

Here are the Arcade insprired Totally Radical Deskmats! I have recieved feedback in a few places and made minor revisions but really wanted a larger audience to see if this is something that I should continue to pursue!

Ideally I would like to get all of these out and have multiple popular colorways for each design. So send the feedback!

Totes Radical IC Form!

*UPDATED*

Took a few suggestions, and made minor improvements. Firstly, these images should be much more friendly, haha oops. Added a thicker stroke to many of the elements to avoid print issues, decluttered  the first mat a tad, changed the black background from such a deep black to something a tad more realistic.  :)

*WORKING ON*

Different colorways
Better renders

« Last Edit: Sun, 08 November 2020, 18:10:05 by Whiplash_XXIII »

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

Re: [IC] Total Radical Deskmats
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 00:51:30 »
RESERVED

Offline Dazon

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 00:52:31 »
I'm in 100%
edit: saw this in retrowave ic and was super interested. I've heard good things about lastpadawan as a mat vendor too, so maybe look into that!
edit 2: I quite preferred the original muted colors in the one you posted, but also like these here
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 November 2020, 00:55:32 by Dazon »

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 00:58:01 »
I'm in 100%
edit: saw this in retrowave ic and was super interested. I've heard good things about lastpadawan as a mat vendor too, so maybe look into that!
edit 2: I quite preferred the original muted colors in the one you posted, but also like these here
Good to know. Colorways can always be adjusted and I have a ton planned. Vaporwave, Laser, 8008, etc. So a muted style is not off the table.

Offline airyimbin

Re: [IC] Totally Radical Deskmats
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 06:12:03 »
So in for this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline leggoeggoninja

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 08:16:57 »
I love this for me!

Offline CardinalityTV

• CardinalDesign Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 09:10:58 »
Thought I'd chime in with a few questions/thoughts on the deskmats.

1) This is just a personal thing, but I think your first design is very "busy" and quite visually cluttered. I've spent a while looking at it and I think cutting down on the amount of stroked/outlined shapes could reduce that visual noise and make for a more appealing design. (This is just a personal thought though)

2) I've designed/prototyped my own deskmat designs in the past and one of the things I notice here is that some of your lines are VERY thin. This may not translate to print as accurately as you might like, and they could potentially either look blurry or too faint. This is something I'd check with your manufacturer or vendor if you decide to put this into GB.

3) Your black background is VERY black. I don't think I've ever seen a dyed cloth-like material to ever achieve that level of black printing, so I would possibly adjust your design to accommodate a more real-world look, as that what your designs should showcase. Take a look at some other popular deskmat designs with very dark base colours for references.

4) Finally, this could be a big assumption from me so I apologize in advance if it is, but just due to the limited number of posts on your account here I'm curious if you have these designs created in vector format + CMYK colourspace? If you have, awesome, but if not it's something you'll definitely need to do sooner rather than later to save yourself the headache down the road. Another thing is to ensure a sufficient bleed area on your design for printing so that you don't run into prototype issues if the printing margins/alignment is slightly less than a typical 900x400 canvas.

All in all, best of luck with your design!

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 09:18:11 »
Thought I'd chime in with a few questions/thoughts on the deskmats.

1) This is just a personal thing, but I think your first design is very "busy" and quite visually cluttered. I've spent a while looking at it and I think cutting down on the amount of stroked/outlined shapes could reduce that visual noise and make for a more appealing design. (This is just a personal thought though)

2) I've designed/prototyped my own deskmat designs in the past and one of the things I notice here is that some of your lines are VERY thin. This may not translate to print as accurately as you might like, and they could potentially either look blurry or too faint. This is something I'd check with your manufacturer or vendor if you decide to put this into GB.

3) Your black background is VERY black. I don't think I've ever seen a dyed cloth-like material to ever achieve that level of black printing, so I would possibly adjust your design to accommodate a more real-world look, as that what your designs should showcase. Take a look at some other popular deskmat designs with very dark base colours for references.

4) Finally, this could be a big assumption from me so I apologize in advance if it is, but just due to the limited number of posts on your account here I'm curious if you have these designs created in vector format + CMYK colourspace? If you have, awesome, but if not it's something you'll definitely need to do sooner rather than later to save yourself the headache down the road. Another thing is to ensure a sufficient bleed area on your design for printing so that you don't run into prototype issues if the printing margins/alignment is slightly less than a typical 900x400 canvas.

All in all, best of luck with your design!
Hey there! Really appreciate your feedback. I do have these vectored and in CMYK for print. These are just screens from illustrator so the black is just a true black. I do plan to add more realistic renders with a more realistic black. The first one is definitely busy but from prior feedback it was very welcomed. I think filling some of the stroked elements will help 100% though. As this is my first attempt at doing deskmat I wouldn’t have thought twice about stroke weight in some of these but that is something I can definitely address. Really appreciate the response!

Offline Meowsaur

• I don't like that.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 10:10:53 »
Would definitely be interested in one of these.

Offline kapowaz

• kapowaz industries
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 10:15:21 »
Absolutely adore these!

Offline CardinalityTV

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 11:01:54 »
Hey there! Really appreciate your feedback. I do have these vectored and in CMYK for print. These are just screens from illustrator so the black is just a true black. I do plan to add more realistic renders with a more realistic black. The first one is definitely busy but from prior feedback it was very welcomed. I think filling some of the stroked elements will help 100% though. As this is my first attempt at doing deskmat I wouldn’t have thought twice about stroke weight in some of these but that is something I can definitely address. Really appreciate the response!

No worries at all, glad I could help. Seems like you've got good knowledge of physical vs. digital colourspaces so I'm sure these will turn out great if you decide to make them a reality. Best of luck!

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 13:18:53 »
I just want to ask why your images are 20834x11667 x4 and knowing you exported that on purpose just hurts my brain and cpu
1.Opening this page from my phone crashes my browser
2.On my pc it takes a very long time to load
Do you perhaps know someone that is living in the future and has such a monitor or maybe you do yourself ?

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 November 2020, 13:23:53 »
I just want to ask why your images are 20834x11667 x4 and knowing you exported that on purpose just hurts my brain and cpu
1.Opening this page from my phone crashes my browser
2.On my pc it takes a very long time to load
Do you perhaps know someone that is living in the future and has such a monitor or maybe you do yourself ?
Lmao, I’ll get some resized images up. I do have this futuristic tech

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 10:06:45 »
Zack Morris called, he wants his underwear back.

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

Re: [IC] Totally Radical Deskmats *REVISIONS AND NEW IMAGES*
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 11:41:34 »
Small revisions made!

Offline nicoles

• Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 12:04:49 »
Oh golly, I love the second one with the rounded thick lines~ So very in.

Offline CardinalityTV

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 14:27:44 »
Updated mats look great and much less cluttered, very nice.

Offline Whiplash_XXIII

Re: [IC] Totally Radical Deskmats *REVISIONS AND IC FORM*
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 18:10:28 »
IC form added!

Offline BlacktopRT

• none
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 11:26:04 »
Count me in for #2!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline thesagason

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 13:00:19 »
I didn’t know I needed #1 until I saw it. Can’t wait to get this! Awesome job!

Offline Galk

• Send help
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 13:12:28 »
Looking good! :thumb:
Collecting pennies to afford keyboards.

Offline WHAT!?

• WHAT!?
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 10:54:12 »
Oh dang.

These are pretty dope.