Author Topic: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO  (Read 893875 times)

Offline Soarer

Re: XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO
« Reply #1000 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 21:14:08 »
Hah, great!

Must be something bad about that Vcc and/or GND pin then - maybe a broken track, or a bad joint on the header pin. If you feel like it sometime, measure some voltages and resistances between the Vcc and GND pins on the Teensy to see if you can find the answer! (resistances when powered off, naturally). But I totally understand if you're sick of it by now!

Some remappings for sure... a layer is what you need :D

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #1001 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 23:47:26 »
Yeah, definitely curious as to what may be the deal. I know when I measure voltage between the two pins I had it on before, it is 5V, when no draw, but then drops after keyboard is connected.

Oh, I definitely want to do a layer. Figure have Capslock be function. Function Shift for Capslock. Function F1 for F11 and Function F2 for F12. Some other random keys for rest of the F keys.

Any idea why Control and Alt wouldn't work out of the box? Tried on 3 machines (Win7, a *nix box, and one running OS X), and they didn't seem do anything. Even key testing programs didn't register anything.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1002 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 04:35:21 »
No idea - they should just work even with no config at all. You said the F-keys were media keys... what config have you got loaded at the moment?

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #1003 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 07:05:20 »
I had tried fooling with configs, I think the last was wcass's, but I had uploaded the firmware several times after that so I figured the config had been overwritten. I just made the empty config into a binary and wrote that onto the teensy, and function keys act like normal, and control works.

Seems like I have to really mash on the key to get alt to work now, so I am thinking it is an issue with the XT keyboard. Same goes with capslock and numpad 0
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 November 2013, 07:06:56 by Hellmark »

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1004 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 10:16:49 »
The Teensy loader doesn't blank the EEPROM, so the config remains. (Other non-Teensy loaders can blank it). I try to keep compatibiliity so that a later firmware works with an earlier config :)

Often there's no damage to the springs, and reseating the keycaps (maybe a few times!) can sort them out.

If a hammer has been dislodged or some dirt has got in, it might need disassembling to clean it out - a bit fiddly, but not too hard. Just remember to take all the keycaps EXCEPT the spacebar off first, or the hammers will fly out! There's a trick to getting it back together - use a bit of fishing line or similar to hold the spacebar hammer in place.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #1005 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 11:57:39 »
The spring looks like it should be ok. When I've seen dislodged hammers on my M's, the springs are off at a different angle. I'll try reseating those keys a few times, and see if that'll help.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1006 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 08:35:07 »
Sorry if this is a repetitive post, but I am attempting to run hid_listen so I can determine the key codes for my keyboard for remapping, but I cannot get the hid_listen program to even work.

I went to the Prjc website and followed their instructions for hid_listen, and read some posts in this thread, but nothing seems to happen.  Help please?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1007 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 08:59:48 »
If hid_listen just says "Waiting for device:......" (is that what you mean by nothing?) and keeps printing dots it means that either the converter .hex file hasn't been loaded, or that the device is in bootloader mode. (Pressing the reset button on the Teensy (are you using a Teensy?) takes it into bootloader mode; it doesn't run the loaded .hex).

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1008 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 09:25:31 »
If hid_listen just says "Waiting for device:......" (is that what you mean by nothing?) and keeps printing dots it means that either the converter .hex file hasn't been loaded, or that the device is in bootloader mode. (Pressing the reset button on the Teensy (are you using a Teensy?) takes it into bootloader mode; it doesn't run the loaded .hex).

What I mean by nothing is I have Terminal open in Mac and I cannot get anything but this screen:

44495-0

I am way off.  I do not even know how to get hid_listen to say "waiting for device" or hid_listen to simply work as the prjc website instructs.

I am pretty sure that I am not in Bootloader mode because I have been using this Teensy converter for a couple weeks and everything works fine.

Is the Teensy loader application somehow involved in this hid_listen process?

Is there some step-by-step instructions on how to use hid_listen somewhere?

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1009 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 10:19:02 »
OK, I just tried the process out from scratch...

1. Right click hid_listen.mac and save to Downloads.
2. Open Terminal and enter the following commands:
3. mv Downloads/hid_listen.mac .
4. chmod 755 hid_listen.mac
5. ./hid_listen.mac

Note the '.' on the end of the command in step 3, with a space before it.

(If I didn't save to Downloads I got a file named hid_listen.pnt instead of hid_listen.mac (I used Safari), so the PJRC instructions might need updating).

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1010 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 13:20:27 »
OK, I just tried the process out from scratch...

1. Right click hid_listen.mac and save to Downloads.
2. Open Terminal and enter the following commands:
3. mv Downloads/hid_listen.mac .
4. chmod 755 hid_listen.mac
5. ./hid_listen.mac

Note the '.' on the end of the command in step 3, with a space before it.

(If I didn't save to Downloads I got a file named hid_listen.pnt instead of hid_listen.mac (I used Safari), so the PJRC instructions might need updating).

Ok, thanks.  That's what I needed to relieve my cluelessness.  I got things working and I think that I can figure out the remapping now that I will know what each key is doing. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 November 2013, 13:32:32 by prdlm2009 »

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1011 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 14:04:47 »
Excellent. Now, if you copy it to your desktop (using Finder or whatever) and remove the extension by renaming it to hid_listen, it will start by double-clicking on it :D

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1012 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 22:28:44 »
Ok, so I am trying to get into remapping and ifselect and layers and all that.  I am familiar with the instructions from wcass.  However, I am having trouble saving a document with a ".sc" extension.  I am using the basic text editor in Mac OS.    Any advice?

Also, I am assuming a dos prompt is the Terminal?

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1013 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 08:01:23 »
Yes, Terminal is the equivalent to Windows dos prompt.

You'll need to change TextEdit Preferences to stop it appending '.txt', see here. Also, the format must be changed to plain text - either just for the current file using the Format menu, or as a default for all new files in the Preferences.

In fact, my tools don't actually care what extension is used, as long as the config file is plain text, but it helps to use a distinct extension to distinguish them :)

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #1014 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 08:04:52 »
If you're on a Mac, then you want to use Terminal. It isn't a DOS prompt. May look similar, but very very different.

Edit the file with any text editor, then use the scas tool to convert it to a format that can be used directly on the Teensy (the converted file will need the extension .scb). After you convert it, use scwr to send the converted configuration to the teensy.

If you're starting from scratch (a new, blank file, that you're picking the name for), and using TextEdit, when hitting Save, select Plain Text as the file format, and have the filename include the .sc at the end.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1015 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 08:10:32 »
That sounds easier :D I hadn't opened TextEdit until a few moments ago - I normally just use 'vi' from the command line :-\

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #1016 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 11:25:17 »
Hey all,

I asked a question here and user 'damorgue' pointed me to Soarer's teensy thinggy:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52158.0

and suggested that I'd post my question here after reading this whole thread (which I did but it's so big already that I may have missed quite a few things).

Could this thing be used to, in addition to "XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB", also do "USB to USB"? Basically I'd like the remapping (on my HHKB) to be done at a lower-level than the OSes (Linux, OpenBSD, Windows, OS X, whatever) so that the OS has clearly no say about which key I did physically press.

For example I'd like to have one modifier key (not the HHBK's 'fn' key, which I find poorly located), say the key physically at the left of the spacebar, act as a modifier and have that "modifier + ijkl" send arrow keys. But from the OS's point of view I want it to be exactly as if a real arrow key was pressed, with no way whatsoever for the OS to detect that I didn't really press an arrow key.

I know that "PS/2 to USB" adapters do exist (for example I've got several "blue cubes"), but I don't even know if "USB to PS/2" adapters exists. If they do, could I simply do "HHKB  -> USB-to-PS/2  ->  Soarer's teensy ->  USB" and plug that to my computers?

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1017 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 15:30:45 »
This doesn't support USB in, and there are no active USB-to-PS/2 converters afaik.

There's a thread on DT about USB-to-USB 'converters' for adding in custom functionality, and a couple of choices for firmware, but I'm not sure whether any have seen development in the last year or so.

A better solution is hasu's replacement HHKB controller, either with custom PCB or with Teensy 2.0 or ++ (more pics). The mod is fully reversible; it just plugs in. With this you'd be able to use the Fn key for something, which you couldn't with a USB-to-USB step.

You'd have to customize source code for any of these options.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 December 2013, 15:34:33 by Soarer »

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #1018 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 16:07:49 »
The mod is fully reversible; it just plugs in. With this you'd be able to use the Fn key for something, which you couldn't with a USB-to-USB step.

thanks a lot Soarer, will look into that !

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1019 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 13:49:12 »
OK, I got my first model F yesterday, and even if I can't use for real yet, I am in love with the way it feels! Makes my filco feels cheap when comparing both side by side. Except for the F spacebar that is quite stiff, but I read that it can be mod.

So I am now in a desperate need for a soarer converter!. Since I want to leave my F pretty much untouched, I would like to build an external converter. My F is an XT 5150 (I am pretty sure, not opened yet, but the pictures correspond and it has the round din connector. But since I am new to this kind of things, even after reading most of this thread, I would appreciate some tips on the parts to get. From what I understand, I would need a teensy (or similar variant, someone posted a 5$ thing recently, just can't find it now), a female din plug, a box to put it in, and some wire with bread board to put it all together, with the usb cable (already have one). So it would be super nice if someone could give me some recommendations!

Also, well I would like to mod the spacebar to be lighter. I tried to search on the forum, but the search feature is not giving me what I want. And even if it's build like a thank, I am sure I would manage to break something. Finally, if someone has other tips to restore an F it would be appreciated!

Thx all  :thumb:
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1020 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 15:46:27 »
There are several ways to accomplish this. I built a box and a variety of adapters for different connections. The most challenging was the one commonly called "RJ45" that I showed in post #901.

For some reason project boxes cost a lot more in black than in beige. This is really cheap, but shipping will be 2-3 weeks from China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301037216227?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 December 2013, 15:51:05 by fohat.digs »
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1021 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 17:44:44 »
The XT spacebar mods in much the same way as the AT mod.

Offline JPG

« Reply #1022 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 18:31:43 »
The XT spacebar mods in much the same way as the AT mod.

Hum, so the mod is to change the F spacebar with one from a M? But I like this 10x spacebar! And I kind off think that the layout is not as bad as people think it is on my XT. Haven't used in real typing situations, but it seems ok to me and relatively compact too! The worse key seems to be then enter, but I could get used to it!

Well, I will see if I have the guts to take it apart, with no replacement parts. I will probably try to give a look at least and see if I could maybe lube the spacebar stabs or the likes. I think I will start with making the converter so I can use it for real and see from there. Thx for all the info!

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1023 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 18:39:10 »
Oh, wait, not that one! There was one somewhere about making the spacebar less strong...

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #1024 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 18:47:28 »
There's one about changing the bend in the wire over at deskthority:

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/model-f-improvement-dis-assembly-tips-and-space-bar-mod-t6982.html
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1025 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 18:58:55 »
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. For some reason I thought it was about the AT. Anyway, they both have the same kind of spring in them.

Offline JPG

« Reply #1026 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 19:31:26 »
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. For some reason I thought it was about the AT. Anyway, they both have the same kind of spring in them.

Thx a lot. Looks much harder than I would have liked lol. Maybe I will grow some thumb muscles for now and see once I have my converter built!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1027 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 20:34:47 »
Looks much harder than I would have liked lol.

Cracking a Model F completely open and putting it back together is not for the faint of heart, but it does create an opportunity for a very thorough (and usually much needed) cleaning.

That complicated undercarriage stabilizer system on the small Fs is a real piece of work.

Think of using a weighted thread when you put it back together.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline lukabuz

« Reply #1028 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 11:55:10 »
 Hello, I recently bough an IBM Model M that has an rj-45 connector. But, the cables on the connector do not match the picture you have given for the rj-45 connector. The colors of the cables are: blank, metal, white, yellow, red, black, blank, blank

Can you help me identify what cables are for what(vcc, data, clock, gnd, PE)?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1029 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 12:41:27 »
You should not trust colors. I made an adapter to go to a standard plug in post #901
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1030 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 12:42:06 »
It does match, but perhaps the colours aren't what you expected! Silly IBM. The metal one is PE, which is the shielding ground.

Offline lukabuz

« Reply #1031 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 12:49:17 »
It does match, but perhaps the colours aren't what you expected! Silly IBM. The metal one is PE, which is the shielding ground.
Yes, but when you look at both my connector and your picture the same angle, in my picture, there are two blanks on the right and one blank on the left, while on your picture its the other way around

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1032 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:01:26 »
Yes, but when you look at both my connector and your picture the same angle, in my picture, there are two blanks on the right and one blank on the left, while on your picture its the other way around

48180-0

Problem solved!  :cool:

Offline lukabuz

« Reply #1033 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:04:53 »

(Attachment Link)

Problem solved!  :cool:
is that a joke or is it really how that should be?
Also, is there any way I could use an arduino leonardo instead of a teensy?(they have the same chip)

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1034 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:28:29 »
No joke - the socket diagrams are looking IN to the socket, and that's how the plug lines up to it.

Leonardo should work fine. Use Arduino pin D3 for PD0, and pin D2 for PD1.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1035 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:29:22 »
thanks, Soarer

this is your arena

- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline lukabuz

« Reply #1036 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:32:38 »
yes but how do I load the program onto the arduino itself? Can you tell me which cables go to which pins?
Sorry to bother you with these questions, I don't really know much about this.

Offline lukabuz

« Reply #1037 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:09:15 »
 Never mind, I have managed to make the converter work with arduino and it works very well. Thank you very much for your help! I am loving my model m so far :)

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1038 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:24:57 »
Ah, good! Because to be honest I can't remember how to get a .hex onto a Leonardo, it's been so long! :))

Offline lukabuz

« Reply #1039 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:51:33 »
 I used arduinobuilder. Which key is escape?

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1040 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:30:17 »
Top-left key of the numpad by default. You can remap it, of course. You might find configs\Halvar.sc a good starting point for making your own config :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1041 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:11:30 »
how do I load the program onto the arduino itself?

I used arduinobuilder.

I have ordered one of these "Leonardo Pro Micro ATmega32U4 Arduino" too.

Can you explain your process for me? I am much better with drills and hammers than I am with software.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Halvar

« Reply #1042 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:22:23 »
@fohat.digs: urbancamo described how to do it on DT lately:

http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/ibm-model-m-1395764-with-curious-graphic-legends-1989-t6407.html#p135750

I haven't tried it yet (my Pro Micro clone is still in the mail).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1043 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:11:14 »
@fohat.digs: urbancamo described how to do it on DT lately:

I haven't tried it yet (my Pro Micro clone is still in the mail).

Thank you. I downloaded it, but Avast made it very difficult, convinced that it was bad, I suppose.

Mine is also in the mail, but I hope to get it soon.
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline JPG

« Reply #1044 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 18:38:35 »
Ordered a "Leonardo Pro Micro ATmega32U4 Arduino" for my converter, and some stuff to build it!

Wait time now!

Offline sjbeck86

« Reply #1045 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 22:30:47 »
Hello all. I recently took an old keyboard that was going to be thrown away. I want to  use Soarer's teensy converter on it and gift it to a friend who I think would really enjoy it. My only problem is that I have no idea what the pinout is. I can find very little information about it on the internet. What I do know is it is a Cherry G80-1080 and appear to use a 4P4C. Because of the common connector and having no idea what it goes to I can't figure out how to correctly wire it. I'm fairly sure trial and error would not have good results  :p Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1046 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 23:51:51 »
Welcome! :D

That's a pretty unusual keyboard; I don't know whether I've seen that layout before on a Cherry.-branded 'board, or any with a 4P4C connector. It's somewhat similar to the WYSE 3161 keyboard in layout, in the connector, and some of the legends seem to match it as well. So I'm not sure if this converter will handle it... but I'm also working on a WYSE converter :cool:

Some pics of the insides, and/or the markings on the chips, might help identify it. Following the PCB tracks from where the cable connects should identify power and ground fairly easily. Do you have a multimeter?

Here's the WYSE 3161 keyboard for comparison:

48380-0

And then there's a more original IBM keyboard, which lacks F13 to F16, but has the same extra markings on the numpad as the WYSE 3161.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2013, 00:17:10 by Soarer »

Offline sjbeck86

« Reply #1047 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 21:44:10 »
Here are some more shots of the board that might help in identifying it. While I had it apart yesterday I hadn't thought to take a picture of the back. I do have a multimeter, although I'm pretty new to working on electronics. I just wanted to thank you for your help!

Offline Soarer

« Reply #1048 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 05:56:39 »
Ah good, it will be easier with a multimeter than tracing tracks by eye! Just by the components present, a PS/2 type of interface is looking like a possibility. If your multimeter has a continuity setting that beeps when the probes are shorted together that's all we need, if it doesn't then use a resistance range and the display.

First we're looking for which wires connect to power and ground, and the easiest place to find those is on the smaller logic chips, pins 14 and 7:

Then it's time to attach it to a Teensy (or Arduino Leonardo, or...) using pins PD0 and PD1 and run the logic analyzer hex to see if the other two wires are outputting data, and if so, what format it is in. If you're really lucky, it's PS/2 and the wiring will be correct to try the converter hex (50% chance that clock and data would need to be swapped, so perhaps make those connections temporary at one end since it's easy to damage the tracks on a Teensy when removing a wire).

Offline lukabuz

« Reply #1049 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 09:44:24 »
 Which key is num lock?