Author Topic: Adopt a Keycap Legend with Cherry Replica Font! (Cherry font, not some other font)  (Read 166791 times)

Offline Zehkul

Wasn’t some GPL stuff already brought up somewhere?
I think that would be a cool solution, if SP allows it that is. Additions to the Cherry font (other languages, whatever else there may be) can be used by anyone. That’s the only thing that would really be a **** move, use this font, add stuff to it and not allow its usage.

There’s absolutely no reason to prevent Cherry font sets from being sold at e.g. techkeys, really. And who else is there? There are no evil big companies ordering from SP and selling to us nerds. What’s the worst that could happen? SP Cherry font sets appearing on ebay? I’d like that. :P The more color options there are the better for the GH consumer, indeed!
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 March 2013, 11:40:17 by Zehkul »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
I think that would be a cool solution, if SP allows it that is. Additions to the Cherry font (other languages, whatever else there may be) can be used by anyone. That’s the only thing that would really be a **** move, use this font, add stuff to it and not allow its usage.

There’s absolutely no reason to prevent Cherry font sets from being sold at e.g. techkeys, really. And who else is there? There are no evil big companies ordering from SP and selling to us nerds. What’s the worst that could happen? SP Cherry font sets appearing on ebay? I’d like that. :P The more color options there are the better for the GH consumer, indeed!
Because the GH community is donating a ton of time and effort into the project, and we don't want vendors to take advantage of this project and profit from it.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.

Because the GH community is donating a ton of time and effort into the project, and we don't want vendors to take advantage of this project and profit from it.
Honestly though it would be the same profits they would get off of WYSE font or any other font available to them. I can't really see people paying a premium for any set with Cherry font once the legend costs are covered. It would be near impossible for vendors to pay back legend fees to those that have purchased Cherry replica sets and the like. Also anyone can now take the Cherry font files released and make their own SVGs. I don't care either way if vendors get access, just playing Devil's advocate and throwing stuff out there.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
Yeah like, a few days ago I was thinking of doing them all myself, paying for them all upfront and showing people completed legends, then marketing that as a new feature to draw people to a set. At the time I thought this plan had mostly died out. Then I found this thread again and how everything is so close to being done and was like "eff that plan, I'm just going to help where I can here and everyone can use them." I think that anyone who is willing to go through the PITA that is a group buy should have the freedom to give the group buy participants what they want, but unless the guys that paid for the cherry replica sets are fine with it just being a free for all, some rule should be made where the organizer is giving back to the community. A donation to GH sorta works, so would offering up a couple extra sets to GH for a new charity auction. Either of those only benefit the community so much though. There are probably some better ideas out there too, this community is way more creative than I am.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy

I don't understand this sentiment.  What have you contributed that is so valuable??  I don't care how it get's done, or who profits, just give me a way to buy it.  Sheesh!

Imagine if the linux community insisted that no company ever profit from their efforts.  Linux would be about as useful as Hurd right now.  And they would never have benefited from the substantial contributions of Red Hat, IBM, and others.

Continuing my mission to squash commies...

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Communism is bad. Marxism good, but that's a different thread. :P

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is

Honestly though it would be the same profits they would get off of WYSE font or any other font available to them. I can't really see people paying a premium for any set with Cherry font once the legend costs are covered. It would be near impossible for vendors to pay back legend fees to those that have purchased Cherry replica sets and the like. Also anyone can now take the Cherry font files released and make their own SVGs. I don't care either way if vendors get access, just playing Devil's advocate and throwing stuff out there.

Yes but the standard WYSE font was always there.  The community didn't come up with the money and spend the time creating the svg's for that.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Yes but the standard WYSE font was always there.  The community didn't come up with the money and spend the time creating the svg's for that.
Right but a font is a font. What does it matter that one came from the community? If a vendor can sell a set of WYSE font keycaps for $80 and make a $15 profit or a set of Cherry font keycaps for $80 and make a $15 profit it doesn't matter. People will only pay so much for a set of keycaps so if Cherry font is available to ALL vendors then the limiting factor just becomes the price of the caps themselves, and people will only pay so much for a set of caps.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce

I don't understand this sentiment.  What have you contributed that is so valuable??  I don't care how it get's done, or who profits, just give me a way to buy it.  Sheesh!

Imagine if the linux community insisted that no company ever profit from their efforts.  Linux would be about as useful as Hurd right now.  And they would never have benefited from the substantial contributions of Red Hat, IBM, and others.

Continuing my mission to squash commies...
Firstly, Was it really necessary to attack his credentials? Why does it matter if he himself made the cherry font or not? That's just low and contributes exactly 0 to this discussion. I implore you to refrain from personal attacks like that.

Many companies profit from their own ADDITIONS to linux. Not linux itself. There is a huge difference here. Apples and Oranges I'm afraid. The font on the keys is basically the kernel, for all intents and purposes. So yeah, I care if someone takes it and uses it as-is for profit. Secondly, many linux purists do not like the redhat linux foundation, just like they dislike Oracle and what they are doing to MySQL. Seriously, as soon as something becomes about money, it loses a lot of its luster in my eyes.

Right but a font is a font. What does it matter that one came from the community? If a vendor can sell a set of WYSE font keycaps for $80 and make a $15 profit or a set of Cherry font keycaps for $80 and make a $15 profit it doesn't matter. People will only pay so much for a set of keycaps so if Cherry font is available to ALL vendors then the limiting factor just becomes the price of the caps themselves, and people will only pay so much for a set of caps.

I think we should take more pride in this community and what it creates than that, dan. The idea of other people, whom doing nothing to contribute would mean more $$$ for them, rubs me the wrong way entirely.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline Zehkul

This. I think not giving away your stuff to others when you don’t have any disadvantages and in fact have a lot of advantages (more options where to buy from) is just childish. Sure, others are making profit, but how does this hurt us in any way? It doesn’t, it’s good for us. And it could be even better if everyone is forced to let us use their additions to the set as well. Just what linux does.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Apples and Oranges I'm afraid.
Cheers,
AppleJewces and OrangeJewces my dear, dear OrangeJewce.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
I think we should take more pride in this community and what it creates than that, dan. The idea of other people, whom doing nothing to contribute would mean more $$$ for them, rubs me the wrong way entirely.

Cheers,
I think we take plenty of pride in the community, and the vendors who would use the Cherry font come from the community (feng, techkeys.us, keypop, originative, rag, etc). It isn't like Thermaltake will suddenly start sourcing it's keycaps from Signature Plastics with the geekhack Cherry replica legends. Cherry font doesn't automagically mean more money for vendors though since they could sell the exact same color set with WYSE font for the exact same amount of money. The people will decide what they are willing to pay for sets, and if Cherry replica is available for everyone there is no reason for vendors to charge a premium for it. Now if a vendor develops their own Cherry svgs and pays the legend fees then the community that has already paid once for these legends NOW will have to pay a premium again to vendors.

Either way I prefer group buy prices to vendor premiums because I am patient and willing to wait for cheaper keys to arrive. If vendors were allowed to use Cherry font just attach a stipulation where they need to thank the community who developed the legends, donate to geekhack or a fund for the next new font legends project or both. Then the funding and work of the community leads to more "free" fonts being available in the future.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Firstly, Was it really necessary to attack his credentials? Why does it matter if he himself made the cherry font or not? That's just low and contributes exactly 0 to this discussion. I implore you to refrain from personal attacks like that.

Many companies profit from their own ADDITIONS to linux. Not linux itself. There is a huge difference here. Apples and Oranges I'm afraid. The font on the keys is basically the kernel, for all intents and purposes. So yeah, I care if someone takes it and uses it as-is for profit. Secondly, many linux purists do not like the redhat linux foundation, just like they dislike Oracle and what they are doing to MySQL. Seriously, as soon as something becomes about money, it loses a lot of its luster in my eyes.

Wow Jewce, you are so wrong in so many ways... Can I even address them all?
First, who's credentials did I attack?  Are you talking about my asking what is so valuable?  That is not an ad hominem attack and it is relevant.  Secondly, lots of companies profit directly from linux itself, what on earth are you talking about?  Want a simple example?  Every linux-based linksys wifi router.  There are literally thousands more.

Finally let's not get confused about what's going on here.  The clear, stated goal is to directly copy Cherry's font.  That's Cherry's work, it sure doesn't belong to anyone here.  Get off your high horse man.  Just because you are turned off by money shouldn't change how everyone can play together.  You are making the classic mistake of confusing "free" as in libre with "free" as in gratis.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce

Wow Jewce, you are so wrong in so many ways... Can I even address them all?
First, who's credentials did I attack?  Are you talking about my asking what is so valuable?  That is not an ad hominem attack and it is relevant.  Secondly, lots of companies profit directly from linux itself, what on earth are you talking about?  Want a simple example?  Every linux-based linksys wifi router.  There are literally thousands more.

Finally let's not get confused about what's going on here.  The clear, stated goal is to directly copy Cherry's font.  That's Cherry's work, it sure doesn't belong to anyone here.  Get off your high horse man.  Just because you are turned off by money shouldn't change how everyone can play together.  You are making the classic mistake of confusing "free" as in libre with "free" as in gratis.

I quoted you directly
What have you contributed that is so valuable??
{Added Emphasis}  It's obviously targeted at Mkultra. And the statement is relevant because...why? We're not debating what each of us has done for the replica project.

No company profits by selling the linux kernel, because they can't legally do so. Companies profit by taking the linux kernels and distros, using them as a component of a completely different product (aka your example being a router) and then selling that completely new product. In my eyes that is distinctly different than me taking the linux kernel, calling it "OJ's kernel" and attempting to sell it.

I think that vendors appropriating the cherry font replica, slapping a new color on it and selling it is no different than the later scenario. You appear to think it's like the former. Is this interpretation incorrect?

I'm not going to argue "fair use" with you in this thread, especially with regards to typesetting. I have strong suspicion that "cherry font" is actually not a copyrighted product of Cherry Corp. If it was, SP would not allow this project to move forward. One example is Exocet is a font that is used in the Diablo games and is commonly called "Diablo font" although it is in reality something different, and it is a typesetting in the public realm. I don't know if "Cherry font" is the same way, but as I believe it is. That deserves its own thread as well.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
I quoted you directly
What have you contributed that is so valuable??
{Added Emphasis}  It's obviously targeted at Mkultra. And the statement is relevant because...why? We're not debating what each of us has done for the replica project.

It's relevant because of what I said above.  Cherry font, not Geekhack font!  How is this not obvious?

No company profits by selling the linux kernel, because they can't legally do so. Companies profit by taking the linux kernels and distros, using them as a component of a completely different product (aka your example being a router) and then selling that completely new product. In my eyes that is distinctly different than me taking the linux kernel, calling it "OJ's kernel" and attempting to sell it.
Ok... and we aren't talking about turning over copyright to any one.  We're talking about incorporating legends into a "completely different product", to use your words.   That product being physical pieces of plastic.  Take a step back dude; think about what you're saying before you keep on with this metaphor.

I think that vendors appropriating the cherry font replica, slapping a new color on it and selling it is no different than the later scenario. You appear to think it's like the former. Is this interpretation incorrect?
I'm too tired to explain this any more.  I started the linux metaphor, but it has gone way too far.  Let's just stop.

I'm not going to argue "fair use" with you in this thread, especially with regards to typesetting. I have strong suspicion that "cherry font" is actually not a copyrighted product of Cherry Corp. If it was, SP would not allow this project to move forward. One example is Exocet is a font that is used in the Diablo games and is commonly called "Diablo font" although it is in reality something different, and it is a typesetting in the public realm. I don't know if "Cherry font" is the same way, but as I believe it is. That deserves its own thread as well.
Thanks for proving my point!  If they don't own it, we don't own it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2013, 14:20:01 by metalliqaz »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
I just think it is wrong for vendors to take the font that the GH community took time and donated money/effort to make it usable by SP, and turn that into a profit for them.  The vendors know how well sets with the Cherry legends will sell, and can easily scout the IC/GB forums for ideas on keysets that we want, and essentially kill GB's.

Look that's just my $.02, if nobody else cares that vendors will be profiting off the donated effort and money of GH members then let them use it.

Sorry for starting such a commotion.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Ultimately, it looks like litster and Hashbaz did all the leg work, so it's really up to them I would think.  They are very capable to make good decisions, I'm sure, and I won't complain (too much :p ) whatever they do.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
Ultimately, it looks like litster and Hashbaz did all the leg work, so it's really up to them I would think.  They are very capable to make good decisions, I'm sure, and I won't complain (too much :p ) whatever they do.
There are a lot of people who also donated money who should have a say.  But yeah I trust them to make whatever decision they see fit.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
The only reason they have done the legwork is because they wouldn't accept help. It is still up to them though, and I think they realize they were a bit protective, and there is a chance they may still be overdoing it.

There are a lot of people who also donated money who should have a say.  But yeah I trust them to make whatever decision they see fit.
Money was pledged but I'm not sure how much, if any, was given freely as donations. I believe a lot of the money that has been covered so far was from selling the white on red, and black on red replica sets. I don't know if the information has been released as general knowledge so I admit I'm going on what I've seen in a couple threads.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Any chance we could get a status like "X out of Y" svgs are done?

Like "11 of 104 svgs are completed" I am unsure of how many legends you are trying to make.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Hello everyone, there's been some activity wrt Cherry legends, as you've probably noticed in other threads.  i3oilermaker has been helping me polish and standardize the legends.  The alpha and function SVGs are now ready to go.  Boiler is working on finishing the number row now, and I'm on the tenkey and navcluster keys.  Our goal is to have them all ready by the end of the week.

We currently have 83 legends left to cut for the standard 104 set.  I have $3270 in my Paypal.  So that leaves 83 x $45 - $3270 = $465 left to raise, at a bare minimum.  We'll also need $300 to get a full proof set made, and probably a few recuts of individual keys.  All in all I think $1000 will be enough to make this finally happen.  There are a couple of funding efforts going currently, plus the Red Cherry GB extras which I will put up for sale shortly.

The plan is to get all the SVGs ready, then deliver them to SP in one batch for cutting.  We'll get a single prototype set made for proofing and make any adjustments necessary.  Then we'll be good to go for the first replica GB.  After the first GB, I'll let Melissa know that anyone is free to use these legends.  Including other forums, including vendors.  I'll also post the SVGs at that point.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2013, 01:27:14 by hashbaz »

Offline leesofi

• super lurking

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline Sai

nice !! finally its not that far from getting this done. :)
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
you shall have about 500 from me very soon

with special thanks to a couple of contributors
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
you shall have about 500 from me very soon

with special thanks to a couple of contributors
Wow.

Offline stoic-lemon

I don't understand completely how this all works svgs etc., but it's incredible that you guys are doing this. I hope I can contribute to fundraising in some way.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
I don't understand completely how this all works svgs etc., but it's incredible that you guys are doing this. I hope I can contribute to fundraising in some way.

you can just make a donation
you can buy a geekhack april backspace from techkeys
you can bid on items in my auction http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42698.0
you can commission me to make a key in a one off color of your choice for a nice donation to the fund

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Wait...I can commission a custom cap from you Bunny??? YOU'RE GETTING A PM SOON

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
Wait...I can commission a custom cap from you Bunny??? YOU'RE GETTING A PM SOON

of course

i wont be doing many as id like to keep them as limited as possible and i will only do 1 of each color combo but as long as im raising money im happy to put in the time

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
While waiting for my toxic set to come in, I can't help but note (with considerable consternation) that everybody is so hung up on Cherry font.

While Cherry does look nice and I mean no disrespect to the guys who have worked so hard to give us the Cherry replica font, it's not so special that we have to spend months on this. I personally think the DSA REtro set (which I missed and which has a colour I didn't like anyway) has a far nicer looking font. Those huge, gorgeous letters are so classical, they are begging me to type on them. The rounded profiles say: touch me! Put your fingers on me!

I really hope we will see more DSA Retro set groupbuys!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I mean no disrespect to the guys who have worked so hard to give us the Cherry replica font, it's not so special that we have to spend months on this.

No disrespect to you but why would you post here if this is the thread helping to get support Cherry Font. How does this help? And how does prefacing your comment by saying "no disrepect" help?

/TrollOff

There should be a Orange Crush Madness (White on Orange) and Retro R2 with White on Blue coming up soon. And TechKeys will have leftovers from the Retro R1 DSA buy.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
DSA just uses the standard SP Wyse legends, does it not?
Russ

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
DSA just uses the standard SP Wyse legends, does it not?

Yes, that's correct.

While waiting for my toxic set to come in, I can't help but note (with considerable consternation) that everybody is so hung up on Cherry font.

While Cherry does look nice and I mean no disrespect to the guys who have worked so hard to give us the Cherry replica font, it's not so special that we have to spend months on this. I personally think the DSA REtro set (which I missed and which has a colour I didn't like anyway) has a far nicer looking font. Those huge, gorgeous letters are so classical, they are begging me to type on them. The rounded profiles say: touch me! Put your fingers on me!

If you have a problem with the length of time a certain group buy is ongoing/on hold, you really should take it up with the organizer. Questions you might ask are:
  • Why is this GB on hold?
  • How long before the GB will proceed?
  • Why did you change the parameters of the GB after you had already taken orders?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
please use the stickied thread to talk about the cherry legends from here. repost if you need to

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.