Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2359220 times)

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
Re: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F
« Reply #3250 on: Mon, 11 September 2023, 12:47:20 »
Major firmware update:

Please help test the NathanA beta, prerelease firmware (attached) which is expected to be the main firmware for the wcass controllers going forward. 

I hope to submit the F104 and FSSK Round 2 files to the factory for mass firmware loading next week so I hope that folks can do extensive daily driver type testing this week.  The inner assemblies all completed production some time ago and are just waiting for the latest firmware.  (Also the first batch of F104/FSSK/F122 cases completed production at the case factory and will be on its way to the assembly factory this week).

Instead of flashing the specific layout you want, there is one firmware for each type of keyboard.  You flash that firmware and then can configure the board for split backspace, split right shift, etc.  There is expected to be future support to flash the exact firmware you want from the start if you want to save a step (also good for the factory workers as they load these en masse).

These are not yet tested on the beam spring boards so it is just Model F to start with.  Currently it is good on the F62, F77, and F104/FSSK Rounds 1 and 2.

Permalink to the windows utility (the latest mac and linux utilities are not yet ready):  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/pandrew-utility-to-send-xwhatsit-to-bootloader.zip

Some features of the NathanA firmware:

Excellent stability in my testing
Vial support (after flashing this new firmware, you can just go to the web site vial.rocks to configure your board any time you want to change something, without needing to generate custom firmware and then reflash the firmware as with the QMK configurator web site.  It works natively without needing a custom Vial program or web site or json file because the keyboard details are stored in the firmware and read by Vial).  Vial even has a check mark to enable and disable NKRO right from the GUI.
Supports solenoids and LEDs
Supports pandrew's diagnostic utility which has the Signal Level Monitor and Enter Bootloader features (you need to download the latest version which is found in the manual)
And many more features

There are two versions of the latest firmware attached:
The "allpads" version is the way that I prefer, with each pad configurable right away without having to click buttons to reveal pads in Vial.  There is also a helpful bat file for each board (allpads version only).  Once you enter the bootloader, you can run the bat file to automatically update the firmware and restart the keyboard, no need to unplug and re-plug the cable or use Atmel Flip! 
The other file has the source code with a diff file that can be executed on linux to auto build all of the firmware files on your own, if you prefer it.  To run NathanA's bash script build.sh in Ubuntu, copy the folder newfxx-vial-package and all its files, then right click build.sh and select run as program.

This is what I do on a fresh Ubuntu install:
open Terminal program and enter one line at a time:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
sudo apt install python3-pip
sudo python3 -m pip install qmk
echo "PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.local/bin" >> ./.bashrc
sudo apt install git
qmk setup

Offline NathanA

Re: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F
« Reply #3251 on: Sun, 17 September 2023, 06:31:11 »
'lo, all.  I've had an account here for a while, but haven't posted for a while; heh.  I've also been sporadically working over the last couple of years on putting together releases of Vial-enabled firmwares for the Ellipse Model F boards, initially just because *I* wanted to use Vial on mine, but sharing what I'd managed to get working with other fellow New F users who might want the same.

For whatever reason -- mostly just inertia & probably because that's where most of the "action" has been -- I've only been posting these to the DH thread.  But it looks like Ellipse would like to start having his keyboards come with Vial pre-loaded "from the factory" so to speak, which is simultaneously both awesome but (personally) terrifying. :))  ...and if the Vial firmwares I've been building become the new firmware preload moving forward, I should probably be more widely communicative about releases.  In all, though, I'm hoping that this ends up providing a better out-of-the-box experience for New F users...even if the pandrew's QMK (web) Configurator instance does make it easier, it's still far from ideal for the average person to have to re-flash one's keyboard firmware every time one wants to change their keymap!

Given that I have not been made aware of any glaring issues with the prerelease copy posted by Ellipse earlier, I'm ready to announce a Release 4 of my Vial firmwares for the Model F Labs series of F-model keyboards.

I still consider this something of a prerelease, as it is still missing some things packaged with prior releases; most notably, the complete set of preconfigured layouts for the various different board models. I intend to release a more full-featured package in the future that re-adds those things back in, but as the new keyboard models are going to be shipping out soon, I wanted to get this out the door ASAP for everyone's benefit. I guess you could consider it a "release candidate" in modern software release parlance, as I actually just took my "beta 3" and quickly renamed it, stripping the "b3" part out of most things. Or perhaps I will call this the "Release 4 Limited Availability" edition, following IBM's own footsteps with OS/2 2.0 LA. ;D (It's a good story, which you can read here if you are so inclined.)

For the moment, the package with the source code patches & the one with the binaries and flashing scripts remain separate as well, and I intend to also eventually combine those, as well as throw together similar flashing scripts for MacOS to be included. If what you're interested in is just the hex files, you can just grab the "new_model_f-allpads-vial_r4.zip" file; if you want to set up a build environment, get the patch set, and build your own from source, get "newfxx-vial-package_r4b3.7z" (sorry about the confusing names for now).

(Also please note that the attached copies of the updated pandrew debug utility both for Windows and Mac that now supports all of the new keyboard models has been split into a split 7Zip archive, only because the DH forum has an upload limit on post attachments.)

This also doesn't yet include any beamspring board firmwares, either. I hope to do something to properly support those in the coming weeks.

Rough changelog (such as it is):
  • Changes in r4b1 (from r3):
    • Basing patches off of most recent (at time of release) xwhatsit code and keyboard definitions from pandrew's repository.
    • Adds FSSK, FSSKr2, F104, and F104r2.
    • Additional increased stability, by taking a page out of Arkku's book & moving the KEYBOARD_FILENAME (which the pandrew utility uses to determine the exact keyboard model & thus the layout and matrix mapping) into AVR program space, freeing up tens of bytes of precious SRAM. This seems to have eliminated any remaining (likely stack exhaustion/overload related) known stability issues.
    • Vial EEPROM header "magic" ID computation changed, to allow for writing raw keymap definitions directly into EEPROM during MCU programming.
  • Changes in r4b2 (from r4b1):
    • Adds F50, F15 Ergo, and FOrtho(linear) Ergo.
  • Changes in r4b3 (from r4b2):
    • Added "Show Extra Nav Pads" Vial layout toggle to FSSK and F104 models.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3252 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 18:40:59 »
We have new 1.5U size keys added to the order list today, as someone just custom requested them.  Feel free to order on the extra keys page if you are interested.  All keys except 1.75U keys are now $3 each, down from $4 each.  Available in pebble, blue, and dark gray.  They should go out later this year.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3253 on: Sat, 30 September 2023, 19:17:57 »
Custom 3d printed legs for the split ergonomic boards: 

Already there is some development, even before these boards start shipping later this month!  Copying one such project below:

"I set up a GitHub repo, that includes the following files:
-image of an assembled prototype leg that I think should work with the split ortho keyboard (the screw is an M6 size)
-image render of the 3d printed part
-an .stl file for 3d printing
-an .f3d file that can be modified

https://github.com/vanhornlab/Keebs-ModelF_Split_Ortho

Also on the GitHub is a description of the prototype leg. I intend once I have it to make two or three sizes so that the keyboard tents how I like. I have a few other ideas on legs like to make a bracket with a heat inset.
Anyway I hope it helps and I look forward to the keyboard."

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3254 on: Sun, 01 October 2023, 12:35:00 »
The latest air shipment arrived from the factory - some nice items in there!

Rico's Rev3 controllers (I hope to assemble and test it with the F122 prototype)

The first 5 sets of XT quality new production JIS, and a few JIS front print sets (these are now available to order)

3 each of the first new keys in pebble, unprinted (PC AT big enter, Code key, and non-stepped ISO Enter) (these are now available to order) - the factory is still working on the jigs for these new keys as well as for the pad printed keys.

The first batch of new production Round 2 beam modules (now I can assemble and take some photos of the B104 keyboard with the approved/finalized Round 2 case)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3255 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 20:25:10 »
The next NYC Mechanical Keyboard meetup has just been announced and you can now get tickets.  They usually sell out quickly so I recommend getting one soon.  I just ordered my ticket and will see everyone there!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nyc-mechanical-keyboard-meetup-december-2023-tickets-727184567617

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3256 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 19:58:39 »
Model F Dutch Auction Update:

The F50 and F15 (Model M15-style) split ergonomic boards are now open to forum members at the fully discounted auction finish price of $399 and $499, respectively; anyone interested please PM me.  The boards will be on a first come, first served basis.  Soon I will open it up to everyone, likely at the non-discounted price, for any remaining boards.

Soon I may open up the other few remaining models of the F Split Ortho since it has been over a week since the payment deadline.  Please PM or email me if interested in this one.  Some folks mentioned there were some email deliverability issues so I also sent the message by forum PM if they provided their user name in the interest form.

Later this month I will start to mail out all of these 125 keyboards.  I also expect to have one spare True Red F50 case (please PM me if interested).  As always a big thanks to forum member NathanA for updating all of the firmware to allow all of these new boards (among many others) to be Vial-enabled by default.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 October 2023, 21:20:55 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3257 on: Tue, 10 October 2023, 17:10:48 »
Now that auction winners and forum members have had time to finish up, orders are now open to everyone at the same auction finish pricing; no need to reserve your unit.  There are not many left of each so please limit yourself to 1 of each (feel free to ask me if you need an exemption or if you are ordering for two).  As a note I am reserving one F15 for someone with an important reason that they cannot complete the order this week.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/f50-model-f-keyboard-auction-winners/
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/ortholinear-split-ergonomic-model-f-keyboard-auction-winners/
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/split-ergonomic-f15-model-f-keyboard-auction-winners/

Project prototyping update:
I assembled the F122 prototype with Rico's latest Leyden Jar controller that just arrived recently and noticed some things that I want to change regarding the inner assembly tabs and posts and their alignment with the PCB so I will be requesting another sample of the top and bottom inner assembly plates.  We are still waiting on the cases production (as noted earlier the inner assemblies for F104 and FSSK were completely finished a while back and they just need the latest firmware to be loaded and for them to be installed into the cases when they are done).  The factory is still hoping to wrap everything up this year but the one constant is that things take longer than expected!

The updated Round 2 B104 beam prototype is coming along nicely and I hope to wrap things up and post some photos next week.  The press fit washers make things much easier to set up and maintain compared to the glued metal washer originals.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3258 on: Fri, 13 October 2023, 12:46:17 »
Production update:
The initial batch of 900 F122, F104, and FSSK keyboard cases (300 each) has been completed and is being mailed to the assembly factory which will inspect the cases and then assemble them with the inner assemblies.  The first batch just has black color cases, plus some uncoated cases of each type.  As noted earlier the F104 and FSSK inner assemblies were completed a while back while the F122 inner assembly was not approved and a new sample has been ordered.  Next up will be the batch of all remaining cases.  The factory split things for quality control reasons, to make sure everything was being produced according to the requirements.
303100-0
303102-1

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3259 on: Fri, 13 October 2023, 19:50:34 »
The latest blog update has just been posted on the project web site:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/blog/

Below are a few portions of the update:

Production status for the various projects

For the most frequent day-to-day updates on the various keyboard projects please head over to the mechanical keyboard forums such as Deskthority and geekhack (links can be found above by going to About, Forums/Press). I only post on the blog and send out email newsletters on a more limited basis, to summarize what has been going on.

As I always say, we are at the mercy of the factories for such low volume production, especially around the timeline. It is truly a miracle and a great sign of today’s manufacturing advances that such complicated projects to bring back these great old style keyboards can proceed today given the limited economies of scale and even though production volume is significantly limited compared to most mass market products and we are far from top priority clients for that reason.

Here is the status by keyboard type:

Classic Case F104 and FSSK: inner assemblies are complete, first batch of cases is 900 complete, still need to complete the balance of the cases (see below for additional details).

F122: some errors with the prototype inner assembly plates; I have ordered a new sample of the top and bottom inner assembly plates. I assembled the F122 prototype with Rico’s latest Leyden Jar controller that just arrived recently and noticed some things that I want to change regarding the inner assembly tabs and posts and their alignment with the PCB so I will be requesting another sample of the top and bottom inner assembly plates.

Beam Spring Round 2: The factory is working on the new case tooling. I am working on finishing up a prototype of the Round 2 keyboard with the final production case design and new modules (the Round 2 keyboard had a working prototype a while back, just with an older case design and modules that were changed to be about 1mm taller to allow for the newly introduced top layer of inner foam above the key modules but below the top inner assembly, just like with the IBM beam spring originals). Two of the plastic module parts are currently in mass production (the beam barrel part A and B). The beam flippers finished production some time ago. The two metal parts will be entering production soon (they are retooling the metal part for beam flipper).

Here is a photo showing the assembly process of the second Round 2 B104 sample. The inner assembly is attached upside down to the bottom case so that it does not slip out of place. One can see that the flipper factory improved the color of the flippers – they are more of a deep black color compared to the dark gray color of the originals. There is no functional difference and no one can see this inside of the keyboard, but the black color is closer to the IBM originals.

303106-0
The factory is still looking to wrap things up around year end, which means that the keyboards should start going out early next year. Please keep reading for more details on each of the parts.

Drop-in replacement PCB assemblies now available for F62, F77, compact F104, and compact FSSK

I have a bunch of presoldered controller+ribbon cable+large capacitive PCBs that can serve as drop-in replacements for these keyboards in case they are needed. Anyone who needs one or wants a spare please email me for details. It is always good to have a spare that you don’t have to mess around with desoldering and resoldering.

Beam spring production process

After the sample order was assembled and tested back around the end of July, the updated beam barrels (part A and B) for Round 2 were approved for full production and I placed the order. These took a while to get right but I am glad everything is good now. Production is just about done: the modules are still in production, expected to finish around month end, and then they need to be assembled. The press-fit design is going to be saving a lot of assembly time compared to the older glued on washer design.

I also ordered the capacitive PCBs for all 8 beam spring variants and the F122, as well as the Leyden Jar version 3 controller for testing.

The 8 beam spring variants: B62 Split Shift and Regular Backspace, B62 Split Shift and Split Backspace, BSSK ANSI, BSSK ISO, B104 ANSI, B104 ISO, B122 ANSI, B122 ISO

The factory is also preparing the tooling to bend the aluminum cases. Then they will produce a full working sample keyboard of each design for verification, and then the case and inner assembly plates production can start. Then these need to be assembled and sent out on the container ship. The factory already completed a prototype of the new case and inner assembly design earlier this year and it has no issues, but to be safe I want to confirm that the new tooling makes things right for all the parts.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3260 on: Tue, 17 October 2023, 15:19:24 »
Firmware update:

Rico has released the latest Leyden Jar beta firmware (links below to the firmware and to the PCB).  I have tested the firmware with the F122 prototype and everything is working perfectly.  As a reminder this controller has the extra 2 columns needed for the F122 and B122.
 There was an issue with two keys giving some trouble (the Home key has a higher resting number of 392 compared to ~380 for most others) but it seems to have been resolved after adding in a second bin, replacing the spring, and reseating the key.  The firmware has an adjustable bin count (factory default is tentatively set to 2 bins given the unpressed voltage variations).  The bins separate the keys into groups based on their unpressed numbers.  The downside to more bins is a reduced scanning rate (though I don't think it can be noticed in practice!).

https://github.com/mymakercorner/vial-qmk/tree/leyden_jar
https://github.com/mymakercorner/Leyden_Jar

There is also a terrific new utility that Rico has created (screenshot below) that allows signal level monitoring, entering the bootloader, and monitoring keypresses, among other functions and informational displays.  Not shown in the screenshot is the device list and its menu with the signal level monitor, keypress monitor, and enter bootloader buttons, which appear when you click the Device List button.
303160-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 October 2023, 15:21:50 by Ellipse »

Offline reavy

« Reply #3261 on: Tue, 17 October 2023, 15:20:38 »
So the Ultra Compact F104 and Ultra Compact FSSK are in stock and can ship quickly? What about the Classic Style F104 and Classic Style FSSK? Are those in stock, or are they still being produced overseas? Are the metal badges in stock or still being produced?

I'm interested in buying some more keyboards but would like to organize my orders (and mega $$$ spending) to try to get in-stock things sooner if possible.

Thanks!

Edit: I think the latest blog update answers my questions.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 October 2023, 15:23:19 by reavy »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3262 on: Tue, 17 October 2023, 15:44:10 »
The compact cases are in stock and the classic case F and beam spring keyboards are in production, along with the badges.  Of course all F62 and F77 are in stock.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3263 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 18:57:31 »
Here is a great original IBM 4700 system guide book linked to by sharktastica on a DT thread:

https://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/4700/GC31-2018-3_Finance_Communication_System_Installation_Planning_upd198311.pdf

It includes some photos and expected specifications of the keyboards. 

And here is a great thread by Sneaky Robb including original IBM keyboard prototype switches and a comprehensive article on the development of the Model F from **** Harris:

https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28325
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 October 2023, 19:03:58 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3264 on: Wed, 25 October 2023, 11:44:05 »
Today a great review of the new Model F keyboard (Ultra Compact F77 variation) was posted on EuroGamer:

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2023-model-f-labs-f77-ultra-compact-review-a-keyboard-from-a-by-gone-age

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3265 on: Thu, 26 October 2023, 16:14:29 »
The Model F has made it to the PC World Best Mechanical Keyboards of 2023 list!  A nice honor for the project.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1966306/best-mechanical-keyboards.html

With permission I am sharing the first photos of a new Model F setup with the F50!  The new project keyboards started going out this month but there are still many more to ship of each of the three types of keyboards. 

303517-0
303519-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 October 2023, 19:14:57 by Ellipse »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3266 on: Sun, 29 October 2023, 12:22:54 »
Posting (with permission) a nice red F50 and off-white/beige F77 setup.  "I use it with REWASD and plane black keys to give me more key options and macros per application."
303603-0

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3267 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 22:36:45 »
Screw specifications and spare screws available:

This is not listed on the project site but if anyone needs spare screws / bolts please let me know as I have plenty of them.  The zinc case boards use 6-32 x 1/2" thread screws with philips heads.  Some of the total screws in each set may have the wrong quantity number so please double check.

As noted earlier the project's T8 M2.5 metric screws were custom molded for this project with various lengths.  Below are the metric screw lengths for everyone's reference.  Please email me if you need additional sets of screws.

Controller ground screws for all keyboards (2 per keyboard) are 6-32 x 3/16" (keyboards with P clips use these same screws).

The Round 2 keyboards use different screws, primarily those with hex heads or torx heads, specifications to follow later.
303865-0

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3268 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 21:23:29 »
Sharing with permission another F50 customization.  This one is interesting because some flippers were removed to allow for 2U vertical keys to be placed (one can't just remove the spring as the stabilizer insert would not have enough room to be seated inside the barrel fully).

Also the number pad has some reversed parts compared to the IBM right-sided number pad block design.  I don't recall seeing such a mod before - is this common with left-handed number pad keyboards?
303894-0

Offline Absinthe

• Atreusaurus rex
« Reply #3269 on: Sat, 04 November 2023, 18:55:09 »
Here are the first photos of the completed and tested M Style FSSK sample; it is configured with the HHKB Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace. Since the ~ ` key is left of the 1 ! key, I was not sure which key to place in the rightmost key of the block, so I selected a blank key. Any ideas on how folks plan on configuring their FSSK layout with such a configuration?

For the M Style case keyboards, wcass has ingeniously updated the PCB design to allow for the same PCB to support both HHKB style split right shift and regular right shift, to cut down on the number of PCB variations.

As noted earlier, these are the rejected sample cases that have defects (casting defects, they did not drill all of the mounts and screws correctly so the inner assembly has sunk inside the keyboard, etc.). Fortunately the keyboard is fully functional in my testing with QMK today.

The case bottoms have 4 holes for optional screw-on bumpers, plus 2 holes to mount a solenoid. The case tops have two internal posts, one to mount a solenoid and one for the P clip (USB cable strain relief).

You can also notice the changes to the interconnections between top and bottom inner assembly
1. They now have additional tabs between the first two rows, just like the IBM F122 and F104 originals. I believe this was done to keep the plates as tight as possible, to allow for the snappiest of clicks upon actuation of each key. The Round 1 compact style F104 and FSSKs do not have these extra tabs. I can tell that the Round 2 boards have some extra clickiness/snappiness to them compared to the Round 1 boards, though both have sufficient clickiness/snappiness.
2. The controller tabs have been modified slightly on the M Style boards to make them simpler and a bit less flexible. Sometimes when unscrewing the controller and adjusting an old bottom inner assembly, the old tabs would move out of position which would require some pliers to move them back into position. They are also slightly taller, to allow for more room between the controller and BIA.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

This looks phenomenal! As for the spare key, I'd program it to open File Explorer. I've a similar 'spare' key on my B.Mini programmed this same way, and it's very convenient.

I need to do some research on how beam spring boards feel to use compared to the tactile switches I have on my boards...
Francium Pro : MX Brown || B.Mini : Zealio 65 & Zealencios || Atreus62 : Zealio 65 & Zealencios

SA Carbon || SA Dasher || SA Symbiosis 2.0 || SA Retro

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3270 on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 18:53:33 »
Final sale on the out of production keyboards (F62 / F77 / Round 1 F104 FSSK B104 and BSSK)

Currently the keyboards are discounted about 50% or more and some now sell for less than $200.  If you have been holding off joining the project due to lack of funds or because these boards were not affordable now is the time to get a new Model F or beam spring!  A lot of folks who have a new Model F are picking up a spare to use at another computer or to keep for future usage.

After 8 years (doesn't time fly!  Does 2015 seem a long time ago to everyone here?) these earlier projects are finally winding down.  Now is the last chance to get these keyboards.  Currently all variations are in stock and expected to ship within 1-4 weeks as I move through the backlog.

Once most of the stock sells out over the coming months, pricing is expected to go back up for those who want any of the final remaining boards.  So far more than 4,600 Brand New Model F and Beam Spring keyboards have shipped, with many more in the queue as we wait for the factory to wrap up production.

I also have a number of factory soldered controllers+ribbon cables+capacitive PCBs for the F62 and F77 models.  If you are looking to upgrade your keyboard to have the latest USB-C controller or if you want to pick up a drop-in spare replacement please feel free to order the controller plus 30 units of the store item $1 increments which includes the PCB and factory labor costs.

And now for something completely different - a production photo I just came across of the various bottom inner assemblies for all but the Round 2 Model F boards.
304090-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 November 2023, 21:17:24 by Ellipse »

Offline funkmon

« Reply #3271 on: Mon, 13 November 2023, 05:45:38 »
Final sale on the out of production keyboards (F62 / F77 / Round 1 F104 FSSK B104 and BSSK)

Currently the keyboards are discounted about 50% or more and some now sell for less than $200.  If you have been holding off joining the project due to lack of funds or because these boards were not affordable now is the time to get a new Model F or beam spring!  A lot of folks who have a new Model F are picking up a spare to use at another computer or to keep for future usage.

After 8 years (doesn't time fly!  Does 2015 seem a long time ago to everyone here?) these earlier projects are finally winding down.  Now is the last chance to get these keyboards.  Currently all variations are in stock and expected to ship within 1-4 weeks as I move through the backlog.

Once most of the stock sells out over the coming months, pricing is expected to go back up for those who want any of the final remaining boards.  So far more than 4,600 Brand New Model F and Beam Spring keyboards have shipped, with many more in the queue as we wait for the factory to wrap up production.

I also have a number of factory soldered controllers+ribbon cables+capacitive PCBs for the F62 and F77 models.  If you are looking to upgrade your keyboard to have the latest USB-C controller or if you want to pick up a drop-in spare replacement please feel free to order the controller plus 30 units of the store item $1 increments which includes the PCB and factory labor costs.

And now for something completely different - a production photo I just came across of the various bottom inner assemblies for all but the Round 2 Model F boards.
(Attachment Link)

I now own I think 5 of these, and I just set up the two I picked up as a result of the sale with the solenoid. I mixed Unicomp and Ellipse grey keys to create kind of a dolch look I don't know if I've seen anybody else do.

I'll probably stupidly pick up another F77 compact to add to the all black unit I have.

So what is that, 6 XTs, 2 ATs, 1 F107, 2 F122s, and I think 5 remakes (I know at least 4 but I'll have to check my storage unit).

I will say...the solenoid adds quite a lot to the experience. I like it a lot.

However, my units, which are older, came with QMK which sucks balls. I have in the past reinstalled Capsense and the old firmware, which I like, but I think this Via stuff is actually really swell and I flashed the new firmware (the guide didn't work for me; I muddled through and flashed using the QMK tool). I like it. Good move, ellipse.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 November 2023, 05:50:13 by funkmon »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3272 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 20:55:34 »
Nice photos!  Glad to see some unique key setups.  Speaking of pad printing:

As an update the corrected pad printing jig was just completed and the factory is now able to move to the next step to further adjust the custom-made pad printing machine for this pad printing.  The process has taken far longer than expected.  The first jig had some errors and had to be redesigned.  As always please do sign the interest form to reserve your pad printed set.  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1873Q9wJFyNvJ4-TEBN6P9JbzaVxErbNd-h4XtN1DfNk

We are still not decided on UV coating vs uncoated for the pad printing.  I think the uncoated looks nicer and closer to the IBM originals but the UV coating may add some extra longevity to the keys which of course wear down with usage.

Offline clay

« Reply #3273 on: Thu, 16 November 2023, 02:39:30 »

(Attachment Link)

2015 is indeed a long time ago, I was still in high school choosing which university to go to. I mainly used an iPad back then with a chiclet bluetooth keyboard and though that this is as good keyboards get. Not that I cared much keyboards then.

If I may ask, why the decision to stop producing them all in all, instead of making it a readily available product indefinitely? I am not questioning any your decision making, I am just curious. I think the 'limited' production is also enticing.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #3274 on: Thu, 16 November 2023, 06:17:14 »
Nice photos!  Glad to see some unique key setups.  Speaking of pad printing:

As an update the corrected pad printing jig was just completed and the factory is now able to move to the next step to further adjust the custom-made pad printing machine for this pad printing.  The process has taken far longer than expected.  The first jig had some errors and had to be redesigned.  As always please do sign the interest form to reserve your pad printed set.  https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1873Q9wJFyNvJ4-TEBN6P9JbzaVxErbNd-h4XtN1DfNk

We are still not decided on UV coating vs uncoated for the pad printing.  I think the uncoated looks nicer and closer to the IBM originals but the UV coating may add some extra longevity to the keys which of course wear down with usage.

It's probably a good idea to do the UV coating. Very few people have ever used the original IBM pad printed keys, and the Unicomp ones which I use are already rarer than hen's teeth. Indeed, the keys you've produced are different to both my M13 keys and the Unicomp keys in how the black plastic looks. A subtle difference is fine - people are comparing them to keys now 30 years old. Longevity should be a primary motivator in my opinion.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3275 on: Fri, 24 November 2023, 22:06:58 »
Update on the boxes:  for the next batch of keyboards (M Style Model F and Beam Spring Round 2) I am considering the tab lock style boxes, which are more authentic to the original IBM Model F retail boxes.  Same artwork as the other style, standard brown boxes - not the white and gray boxes of the originals.

Example:  https://www.packagingprice.com/tab-locking-mailers.html

From my collection:  https://flickr.com/photos/modelfkeyboards/51941436172/in/dateposted-public/

IBM Keyboard Photos by Model F Keyboards, on Flickr

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3276 on: Mon, 27 November 2023, 20:58:39 »
Major project milestone:

Today the project passed $3 million in orders!  It is great to know there has been so much interest in the old beam spring and Model F keyboards.

For those who have ordered in stock items recently, please note that I am still moving through the backlog but the backlog has grown significantly in recent weeks due to much higher order volume of in stock items.  Currently I am working on wrapping up the remaining small project orders (split ergo F15, ortho, and F50) and other orders. 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3277 on: Sun, 03 December 2023, 20:58:59 »
Nice seeing everyone at today's meetup!  There was a great turnout and a good amount of enthusiasm for the old style keyboards.
 Always nice to put the faces to the user names of some GH, reddit, and DT forum members. 

I brought the Round 2 B104, Round 2 F104, Round 1 Beam 104, and Classic Case F77 to the meetup where folks got to try them out and compare them with other keyboards the people brought.

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #3278 on: Mon, 04 December 2023, 02:13:30 »
So can anyone who was there say anything about how the boards feel?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3279 on: Fri, 08 December 2023, 21:10:16 »
Today the project was featured in Hypebeast!

A design studio and retailer company, JJJJound, purchased some F62 keyboards with a custom keycap design with the intention of reselling.  They posted the product today on their blog and everything sold out within one day.  (n.b., I still have stock of F62 and F77!). 

https://hypebeast.com/2023/12/jjjjound-vintage-mechanical-keyboard

https://www.jjjjound.com/en-jp/blogs/projects/jjjjound-mechanical-keyboard

https://www.jjjjound.com/collections/all/products/jjjjound-mechanical-keyboard-off-white-beige

I have been in talks with other companies to resell / distribute the new Model F keyboards (for example, to have some inventory stock in Europe for faster shipping) but so far no one else has taken this on.

ItIsWritten feel free to check out the many new Model F reviews, some of which are gathered here:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/brand-new-model-f-keyboards-may-update/

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #3280 on: Sat, 09 December 2023, 02:53:12 »
Yes, but I'm interested in the new beam spring, especially compared to the other boards. I assume at the meet they could even compare to the actual beam spring? It's not a biggie, since I already ordered.  :D

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3281 on: Sat, 09 December 2023, 12:25:57 »
The new beam spring keyboard has been reviewed already a few times in the link above, as well as on the About - Forums/Press page of the project web site.  The Round 2 boards use the same modules as the Round 1, except the molds have been remade and the module top parts are 1mm taller to account for the addition of inner foam (the effective travel length and other properties are unchanged).

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3282 on: Thu, 14 December 2023, 21:39:11 »
It is a great honor for the New Model F to have been shown in the Linus Tech Tips tech upgrade video posted today!

Alex from LTT had the Brand New Ultra Compact F104 keyboard custom finished at an automotive paint shop and the result looks nice!  It is great to see folks customizing their Model F keyboards!

Direct link to the keyboard portion of the video:  https://youtu.be/b5hZVDoifHo?si=BCAgG5l1mYC9Out2&t=1200

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3283 on: Fri, 15 December 2023, 20:12:01 »
The additional keys (code, non-stepped ISO Enter, and PC AT Enter) are finishing up production this month, after much delay.  Here are photos from this first production batch:
304925-0
304927-1

Offline ipilcher

« Reply #3284 on: Thu, 28 December 2023, 08:49:36 »
@Ellipse -

Any chance of an update on the classic F104s?  AFAICT, the last update was in September, and you thought that they might be starting to ship out around this time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 December 2023, 08:54:35 by ipilcher »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3285 on: Thu, 28 December 2023, 11:19:58 »
Please see the update posts over the past few months on this thread and over on the Deskthority project thread.  These keyboards should be finishing production and assembly over the coming months; unfortunately they have been delayed.  The factory is finishing production of the cases and then needs to do assembly for FSSK and F104.  The F122 needs an updated top and bottom inner assembly which the factory is working on before starting production.

« Reply #3286 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 08:27:53 »
since DT went down yesterday, what will happen to the resources that were previously on DT?
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 January 2024, 14:06:33 by ExcruciatinglyOrdinary »
What should I do today?

Offline NathanA

« Reply #3287 on: Wed, 31 January 2024, 01:40:02 »
Here is release 5 of the Vial firmware, covering all Model F Labs keyboard models released to-date.

Flashing scripts for both Windows and Mac (+ Linux, if you supply your own dfu-programmer) are found in 'flash-scripts/', grouped by keyboard model.

Change log:

• Changes in r4 (from r4b3):
    • rename & distribute > r4 release candidate
  • Changes in r4b4 / r5b1 (from r4b3):
    • Num Lock based layer select feature (intended for split boards and F77 right-side block)
    • Added Bourne shell flashing scripts for our *NIX-using friends, and included MacOS-compatible dfu-programmer binary (if you want to use with e.g. Linux you will need to replace 'flash-util/dfu-programmer' with an appropriate binary, or symlink it to one)
  • Changes in r4b5 / r5b2 (from r4b4 / r5b1):
    • For split keyboards that use the Num Lock shared layer select feature, turn host Num Lock off automatically at keyboard initialization
  • Changes in r5 (from r5b2):
    • Add support for select Beamspring models: B104r1, BSSKr1, BSSKr2, B62 (B104r2 and B122 matrices are too large for / incompatible with xwhatsit and are not supported)
    • Re-introduced separate keyboard layout and keymap options that are installable at flash-time...you can once again select from many common layout options during flash instead of flashing & manually reconfiguring
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 February 2024, 08:05:28 by NathanA »

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3288 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 18:09:11 »
I have just updated the zip file in the manual on the project web site with all of the NathanA firmware files.  This one zip file includes all of the NathanA vial files, the old QMK files, the source code and build files, and the pandrew utility for Windows and Mac.

The batch files have been renamed and reorganized to replace abbreviations with language that more closely matches that of the project web site keyboard configuration.  Once again a major thanks to NathanA for this enormous undertaking.

As always please do review the manual for instructions before doing any firmware flashing or you'll likely run into errors.

Please do share feedback here after testing this firmware!

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/QMK-layout-files.zip

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #3289 on: Tue, 20 February 2024, 18:31:42 »
As an update I have posted the latest blog entry which rounds up all of the postings of recent months.  Apologies this one came out later than it should have.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/blog/

For ease of reference here is a portion of the beginning of the blog, summarizing the current statuses of the various aspects of the projects:

Production Status – when are my orders arriving!

The Round 2 Model F and Beam Spring boards should be wrapping up production and assembly over the next few months and arriving to me around mid-year, a delay from the original expectation of being completed around this current time. All these Round 2 boards should be going out at the same time once they arrive on the container ship, so if someone decides to order an additional board and they have two boards on order then they usually get to skip the additional line and have both boards go out in the same shipment and at the same point in line as their first board.

After assembly and packing is completed, we then have 6-8 weeks for the container shipment and arranging local delivery to me. As I always say, we are at the mercy of the factories for their production timeframes. This low volume project is far from the highest priority but I am thankful that the project can exist without economies of scale.

The factories all understand that the quality control is very important for all these parts so we prefer that they get things right even if it delays things.

A few folks have asked me to switch them to in-stock round 1 boards, such as the ultra compact F104, ultra compact FSSK, ultra compact B104, and ultra compact BSSK, if they prefer not to wait. If interested, please email me as I still have some of these boards left but stock is low and they will not be made again.

Model F specific production status details

Round 2 Model F classic style cases: They made the batch of black cases but we still need to finish the other cases and finish assembly. The factory needs to confirm the finalized case colors and texture before powdercoating can start.

Inner assembly (all F104 and FSSK inner assemblies have been produced and assembled, including the barrels, flippers, PCB, inner foam, and clear mylar sheet).

F122: the F122 sample inner assembly still needs to be approved before F122 TIA and BIA production can start. I am currently evaluating the latest F122 keyboard. So far I see no errors with the inner assemblies.

Keycaps: in preparation for the new boards, I ordered several thousand extra key sets and miscellaneous extra keys which were all completed and are currently on hand, so we do not need to wait for keycap production for the new Model F keyboard designs.

Boxes: the new folding style boxes have been approved for production for all Model F and beam spring boards; the artwork remains the same as before. More details on these boxes are below.

Outside protective foam: has been approved for production. These will be end cap pieces similar to those of the latest classic style F77.

While this does not hold up any Model F production, unfortunately there were production issues with the small batch of new keys for ISO Enter, Code, and PC AT Big Enter. The factory is working on remaking this batch (photos shown below). They will be available in pebble, ISSK Blue, black, and dark gray. As always everyone interested in reserving one of these keys (alone or as part of a set) please sign the Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vsamkl_jOqp6wAEfZGeivQZ8ZaibpoT0WQkDG39r08Q/

If anyone prefers not to wait and wants to switch to a Round 1 Model F board please let me know by email as I still have some units remaining.

Beam spring production status details

The Round 2 boards still need to finish production and assembly, so I hope that they can arrive to me later this year, around mid-year. As mentioned before things have been delayed from the original hope that they be completed earlier. Like with the Brand New Model F Keyboards project, no one aspect has bottlenecked the project and caused the delay but a number of aspects have taken longer than expected. The factory has their new year break for the next few weeks so things will continue after then.

Same as with the Model F noted above: If anyone prefers not to wait and wants to switch to a Round 1 beam spring board please let me know by email as I still have some units remaining.

Beam modules parts A and B:
Recently completed, but there was an error with part B discovered just before the new year break for the factories, so these parts need to be remade. These took over one year to produce, much longer than expected. Over a hundred thousand parts of each type were produced.

Beam module part B’s (the white part’s) assembly with its metal part has been improved for a nicer looking rounded assembly finish on the nub that is below the metal part. The factory has made thousands of these as part of the updated beam modules (all the ones with the press fit washers on top) and they are nice.

Metal parts for the modules:
The new modules from this February batch now sound great and were just approved for production yesterday, so we are just waiting on part B to be remade. A month earlier I noted this: The new modules using the older metal part for beam flipper sound great and are very close to the IBM originals. The tooling for the metal part for the beam flipper was updated last year but the updated tooling designed to get things even closer needs some work to get the modules as good sounding as possible.

The updated press fit washer mold for the beam modules:
Has been completed and approved, and I believe the factory has finished production of these parts if I remember correctly. This is an update over the original glued metal washer design; it allows for quick and toolless disassembly and repair of the beam modules.

Cases:
All but the beige and industrial gray case colors were approved (I want the colors to be even more accurate to the IBM originals so I rejected those two samples). The paint texture finish is not yet finalized.

Capacitive and controller PCBs:
wcass and Rico have finished the PCBs for the various beam spring models and I ordered the updated samples a few days ago. Rico’s Leyden Jar Rev 3 controller is so far working flawlessly in my testing and these will be the default controllers for the B104 and B122 (plus the F122), though the controllers will hopefully have firmware for all the various Model F and Beam Spring models in the future. As mentioned before, after the ATMEGA32’s run out I expect everything to have the Leyden Jar as the factory-installed controller.

Keys:
The PBT double shot keys and wcass xwhatsit controllers were completed last year.

Boxes:
The box designs have been finalized. The art will be just about the same as the Round 1 boxes shown on the project web site, but the boxes themselves will switch to a tab locking foldable design similar to the boxes IBM used for the original IBM Model F XT and AT keyboards (more details below). I have approved the box designs for production.

The outside protective foam:
Will be similar to the end cap style used on the final production round classic F77 Model F keyboards; after the keyboard samples are approved then they can make the cutting tool for this foam.

Inner foam:
The inner foam that goes between the tops of the modules and the top inner assembly will be evaluated with the forthcoming samples.

Working sample status:
The factory still needs to produce fully working samples of each beam spring keyboard model for my approval, and then mass production and assembly of the remaining case parts can start. The tooling for these cases took months longer than expected to complete. The sample cases and their TIA/BIA’s are completed and are now waiting to be powdercoated and assembled.

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #3290 on: Thu, 22 February 2024, 08:53:13 »
Thank you for the updates.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 February 2024, 11:02:55 by Tempest790 »

Offline NathanA

« Reply #3291 on: Wed, 28 February 2024, 07:37:06 »
I've gone ahead and taken the time to throw together a very basic web page for my version of the Vial firmwares, and will be distributing future versions from there.  I will continue to announce new releases on the forum(s) whenever they are ready, but I only plan to host the actual files on this new server moving forward, and won't be uploading attachments to them here, just linking to them on the new site.

I'll plan to maintain these fixed URLs where the most recent version will always be available for download (at least until I change my mind  :) ):

Offline Ellipse

Major project milestone:

Today the 5,000th Brand New Model F / Beam Spring Keyboard shipped!  This is the combined total of all new Model F and Beam Spring keyboards that have been mailed out.

Offline Ellipse

As the factory continues round 2 production this year and we wait for things to wrap up in the coming months, here is a round up of various photos, reviews, and postings from recent months:

A review and photo of the new Model F Ergo board from someone who can type over 100 WPM!
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/18a59ed/my_model_f_ergodox_finally_arrived/

Is there any feedback on the Model F ergo boards from folks who have been using them? 

Here's a photo and mini-review of the compact F104 in true red with blue keys:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1899ku6/because_sometimes_you_just_want_different_things/

And from the same poster, the compact f77 in true red with dark gray keys:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/177gl1o/we_need_more_77_key_layouts_like_this/

Here's a recent posting of a classic F62 with HHKB style split right shift:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1904d9z/finally_done_setting_up_my_new_model_f_quite/
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 March 2024, 04:18:21 by Ellipse »

Offline masteraleph

Haven't been using the ergo board but I have been using the F15. Absolutely love it. Needed to make some adjustments when I first got it- the entire interior of the board was set slightly too high up in the case, such that the number row keys couldn't fit next to the metal piece between the number rows and the F keys; managed to make it work. I have the Large bumpers on the interior sides and the small square ones on the exterior, so there's a total rise of 7/8" from outside to inside- just about perfect for me. Debating getting another one for work, but I use a mac at work and would presumably need to install Karabiner due to the weird Mac stuff with split keyboards (for those who haven't followed on Deskthority, Macs treat modifier keys from different keyboards completely separately, so Shift on the left keyboard + a letter on the right keyboard still gives a lower case letter and vice versa). I probably could do that, just trying to figure out how I feel about it. I'll likely pick up a separate numberpad for the rare occasions I need one, but the F50 is complete overkill for my use case so I'll be looking elsewhere for that.

Offline Ellipse

Haven't been using the ergo board but I have been using the F15. Absolutely love it. Needed to make some adjustments when I first got it- the entire interior of the board was set slightly too high up in the case, such that the number row keys couldn't fit next to the metal piece between the number rows and the F keys; managed to make it work. I have the Large bumpers on the interior sides and the small square ones on the exterior, so there's a total rise of 7/8" from outside to inside- just about perfect for me. Debating getting another one for work, but I use a mac at work and would presumably need to install Karabiner due to the weird Mac stuff with split keyboards (for those who haven't followed on Deskthority, Macs treat modifier keys from different keyboards completely separately, so Shift on the left keyboard + a letter on the right keyboard still gives a lower case letter and vice versa). I probably could do that, just trying to figure out how I feel about it. I'll likely pick up a separate numberpad for the rare occasions I need one, but the F50 is complete overkill for my use case so I'll be looking elsewhere for that.

Thanks for the feedback masteraleph.  My thinking is that somehow the interior bottom inner assembly legs were slightly out of position or that bar on the case was slightly bent out of position but I am glad you were able to get it working (how'd you end up solving the issue?).

Offline masteraleph

Opened it up, bent the things (legs?) inside slightly to move everything down, closed it up. Also bent the bar up slightly as well.

Offline Ellipse

Here is a nice review on the new Model F F77 keyboard:

Offline Ellipse

As with the previous meetups, I will be attending the NYC Mechanical Keyboard meetup on 4/6 - hope to see everyone there! 

I will be bringing some of the new Model F and new Beam Spring boards.  Currently there is a waitlist as all tickets have sold out.  These meetups are in a nice space and they have been well-attended.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nyc-mechanical-keyboard-meetup-april-2024-tickets-849144813997?aff=oddtdtcreator

Offline Ellipse

Pad print update:

The artwork file had to be created (repositioning Zed's legends for the new file) for the new pad print jig, which has a different arrangement of keys compared to the dye sublimation jigs.  The US art has been completed and confirmed, with the additional sets to follow.  Next the factory has to create the physical artwork from the file and then start testing the machine with this artwork, both to confirm the alignment for each key within one key set is consistent (artwork distance from top and left edges of the key top surface), and the alignment among various key sets can be done consistently.  This process has taken a very long time but we are getting closer to having pad printed buckling spring keys once more!

Additional keys update (ISO Enter non-stepped, PC AT Big Enter, Code key):

The mold needed to be adjusted as the key quality was not good enough.  The factory reports that the mold has been updated and they sent some samples to the sublimation factory for evaluation.  After they evaluate, they will send some samples my way for evaluation.  If approved, then this batch of keys will hopefully be completed, sublimated, and sent to me.