Author Topic: [GB] TMOv2 50% keyboard  (Read 88814 times)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: [GB] TMOv2 50% keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 10:31:26 »
Hey guys!

I truly apologize about no updates earlier but IRL responsibilities got me all tired in the evenings. But it's been 3 weeks already (!!!) since sale happened so it's probably best to give a heads up what's happening! Promise that I'll try and update in a timely manner from now on!

We sold out all 130 boards world-wide in about 4 hours! That's extremely impressive and I am truly shocked about it! I hoped that would happen but when it did, I screamed like a little girl. Very thankful for everyone that purchased a TMOv2!

So about the updates:
  • We have put in the order to the factory so case & plate manufacturing is slowly starting. Once there's anything to show, we'll do so!
  • Updated PCB prototypes have been received and Upas confirmed that it's good to go! He's currently working on firmware and will order them this week!
  • Packaging has been thought about and samples are being made.
  • Upas will soon order screws for cases & plates (gathering one big order with other keyboards).
  • I'll be ordering stickers for all orders around holidays but before then I'll make a small poll about colours you'd like to get for one design.
  • As for the clear "Frog on a log" artisan by SPARKLE PONY - we'll be adding them for all clear PC orders as promised. Still thinking what to do with the extras lol but that's strictly decided by the artist himself.

« Last Edit: Mon, 25 November 2019, 10:39:49 by funderburker »
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 11:09:45 »
We sold out all 130 boards world-wide in about 4 hours! That's extremely impressive and I am truly shocked about it

I don't find it surprising at all. It's a pretty unique board which strikes a clever balance between minimalism and functionality unlike anything else out there in the <60% segment.

Offline dexie

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 00:35:22 »
We sold out all 130 boards world-wide in about 4 hours!

Congratulations on amazing buying period!
ISO Life

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 01:04:21 »
I don't find it surprising at all. It's a pretty unique board which strikes a clever balance between minimalism and functionality unlike anything else out there in the <60% segment.

I was getting pessimistic before GB launch because of the slightly quiet GB thread and not seeing a lot of discussion about TMOv2 so I didn't know what to expect. Would it sell out in a few seconds, couple hours or over the weekend? But I gotta agree that TMO is truly a in-between sized board. From using a 40% and 60% boards, TMO strikes a good balance between size and functionality. I really got to build my proto!  :confused:

Congratulations on amazing buying period!

Thanks Dexie!

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 06:07:58 »
Update 20191216

I gotta apologize once again for some silence. I hope to be a bit more frequent once 2020 starts.

So let's get to the small updates:

• All hardware has been sent to the factory.
  • Boards have been ordered, and we are waiting on machining.
  • We have approved packaging samples and will be making an order.
  • I'll make a voting form for sticker designs during holidays. The plan is to order them early to mid-January.

Onto a big one. There's no easy way to put this but we've had to make a compromise regarding polycarbonate TMOv2 cases. Our factory messaged us about their concerns that the polycarbonate cases could be prone to warping if we don't add 4 additional case screws. I had to make the decision that all polycarbonate cases will come with 8 screws while aluminium counterparts will stay unchanged with only 4 case screws, one on each of the case corners.

I understand that some of you (me included) really like the clean angled back without any visible screw holes but it's a compromise both I and also the factory is willing to make to offer a better product in the end for everyone. This change does not change the feel of TMOv2 in any way, only changes the aesthetic of the board when viewed from the back.

One last thing I would like to mention is that due to this, people that have ordered an aluminium version of the board and have ordered polycarbonate bottom as extra will have some inconsistency between the parts - aluminium top will still have 4 case screws on the corners and polycarbonate bottom will have 8 case screws rendering the 4 middle one to be left empty. This, however, won't impact the integrity of the build as the issue mostly stems from polycarbonate top becoming warped and not the bottom.

As we did order prototypes in a timely manner and had them on-hand before GB order was made I can assure that I received a great polycarbonate case that didn't show any issues but keep in mind that it's a one-off and not one of tens of PC boards that will be made during GB so before making multiple it's hard to settle on a fail rate number. We trust in the factory that if they're letting us know early on about a potential issue down the road that it's best to resolve it now before real production has started.

For everyone that has ordered a full PC TMOv2, I am truly sorry but I would like to ship a board that has no structural issues even if it means changing it visually.

Please see model photos underneath:

More

« Last Edit: Mon, 16 December 2019, 06:13:25 by funderburker »

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 06:30:43 »
I think most of us who ordered PC are aware of the additional manufacturing challenges. This seems like a pretty reasonable (and desirable) compromise to me.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 06:38:35 »
I think most of us who ordered PC are aware of the additional manufacturing challenges. This seems like a pretty reasonable (and desirable) compromise to me.

Thank you for your understanding.

Offline Aevyn

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 11:40:09 »
Ah, well. The sacrifices we have to make to have PC.  ;)

Offline sleepy

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 12:22:38 »
understandable have a nice day

Offline wilarseny

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 12:38:27 »

Yep, in for poly and agreed.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 07:28:57 »
Update 20191218

Another update, much quicker than I thought! I'm surprised myself! :p

First of all, thank you for understanding. I got a small holiday treat in the form of some factory photos.

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 07:30:44 »
Update 20191218

Another update, much quicker than I thought! I'm surprised myself! :p

First of all, thank you for understanding. I got a small holiday treat in the form of some factory photos.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Aw yis. Thanks for the update mang.

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline Lormania

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 20:44:41 »
they looking real nice!

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 06:20:14 »
If any of those aluminium ones come off as 'B-stock' because of bumps/scratches/etc I'd be more than happy to buy one un-finished. They look really good in raw metal.

Offline romadee

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 09:02:46 »
Round 2 is an option ?

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 10:36:31 »
Is it still possible to get a poly-carbonate plate anywhere?  :eek:

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 28 December 2019, 14:09:08 »
Round 2 is an option ?

Possibly but we still need to finish R1 first. Possible that there'll be some extras after this round ends.

If any of those aluminium ones come off as 'B-stock' because of bumps/scratches/etc I'd be more than happy to buy one un-finished. They look really good in raw metal.

They really do! But the factory isn't sending out raw metal ones and I believe that anything they let through as B-stock would be redone during manufacturing anyway.

Possibly during extras after GB ends but the plate files will be open-sourced. Should share those but don't know where exactly. QMK repo doesn't seem fitting for that.

Offline VipermanGT2

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 00:44:20 »
Round 2 is an option ?

Possibly but we still need to finish R1 first. Possible that there'll be some extras after this round ends.

They really do! But the factory isn't sending out raw metal ones and I believe that anything they let through as B-stock would be redone during manufacturing anyway.

Possibly during extras after GB ends but the plate files will be open-sourced. Should share those but don't know where exactly. QMK repo doesn't seem fitting for that.

Sign me up for an extra! Take my money. lol. Dying for this layout.

Offline olivavek

• Oliva.us
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 13:39:48 »
So looking forward to this board I already bought the switches and stabilizers from zeal  :-X

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 04:46:38 »
Is anyone else who ordered a polycarb case thinking of ways to add LEDs to show current layer?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 14:52:18 »
Update 20200118

Heya... Apologies for the month-long silence.

• All GB PCBs have been delivered to Upas
  • Case manufacturing is on-schedule and anodization is done. E-white and PC boards are nearing the end of manufacturing as well. No delays up to this point, let's keep it that way! ;D
  • TMOv2 will be VIA compatible and Upas has confirmed that it's very close to being "supported" officially.
  • Plate and weight files are HERE

Also - With the help of RealLaugh (thanks, mate!) I have couple of designs for the "Here we go boys..." sticker. Go HERE to vote on your favourite colourway/-s! I'll keep this open for a month or so.

On a side-note, I'm very thankful for everyone that is waiting for their board/-s. I've been using mine ever since I built it up during Christmas holidays and it's been a treat to use. If anyone is interested in the keymapping I use, here it is.

More

To nathanchere - there's 22 RGB LEDs as underglow so firstly I'd suggest programming those to work as indicators. Could look cool if maybe a bit too much to have them on all the time. :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2020, 14:57:47 by funderburker »

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 08:52:56 »
any updates? I'm *still* working on my preferred layout but hope to have it ready by the time the keeb is in my hands.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 04:07:53 »
any updates? I'm *still* working on my preferred layout but hope to have it ready by the time the keeb is in my hands.

Hey!

Unfortunately not really updates as our factory in China has stalled work until February 17th due to Covid-19.
As far as we know most of the boards have been produced and was about to be QC'd and packed for shipment.
Covid-19 has delayed GB a bit but we're on track with ETA as we added a "safety net" on it from the start.

Also regarding the stickers. I closed the form just now (I forgot about it, my mistake).

So there's a tie between 9009 and Dualshot. I like both of the colourways so it's even harder to chose between them. WoB I is a close second.
Given there's already a "TMO" logo sticker planned in both white and black, I'd prefer to choose one colourway for "Here we go boys...".
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2020, 07:40:21 by funderburker »

Offline CarlQs

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 23:18:32 »
just realized 1.5u 7u 1.5u would have fit on this for a bottom row :( too late, but for next round .o.

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 03:09:35 »
Omg this looks so cute funderburker. Great work!!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 04:22:56 »
Update 2020303

There hasn't been any news from the factories due to SARS-CoV-2 outbreak but they're slowly starting to work in a smaller capacity.

• Most of the anodized boards are done.
  • Some E-white boards still need to be finished but factory out-sources this and their supplier isn't open yet.
  • PC cases are CNC'ed but need to be dyed.
  • Factory contact person is getting back on Wednesday so Upas will find out any further updates regarding the timeline only then.
  • I'm working on getting the stickers made somewhere locally for both vendors as it would be most convenient for them. Final colourways are: 1x black & 1x white TMO logo, 1x 9009 colourway "Here we boys..." sticker.
  • Artisans by Sparkle Pony will soon be shipped to vendors so they have them when it's shipping time.

Offline martensson

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 16:51:29 »
Update 2020303

There hasn't been any news from the factories due to SARS-CoV-2 outbreak but they're slowly starting to work in a smaller capacity.

• Most of the anodized boards are done.
  • Some E-white boards still need to be finished but factory out-sources this and their supplier isn't open yet.
  • PC cases are CNC'ed but need to be dyed.
  • Factory contact person is getting back on Wednesday so Upas will find out any further updates regarding the timeline only then.
  • I'm working on getting the stickers made somewhere locally for both vendors as it would be most convenient for them. Final colourways are: 1x black & 1x white TMO logo, 1x 9009 colourway "Here we boys..." sticker.
  • Artisans by Sparkle Pony will soon be shipped to vendors so they have them when it's shipping time.

Thanks for the update funderburker!

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 04:48:24 »
+1. An update even just to say 'no news' is still a pulse and much appreciated, thanks.

Offline cuongcan2020

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 01:50:13 »
Any updates? Is this one still on track? Thanks.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 15:24:06 »
Update 2020323

We're waiting primarily on the e-white ones to finish - we don't have an ETA, but we hope they'll be done sometime in April, as initially planned.
Stickers have been ordered and artisans for all clear base kit orders will be sent out to vendors sometime this week.

Be safe,
funderburker

Offline of_sam

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 15:13:29 »
TY for update. Obviously nothing you can do and it's unrealistic to not expect delays at this point. I'm sure the TMO's will be well worth the wait!  :thumb:
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 06:45:34 »
TY for update. Obviously nothing you can do and it's unrealistic to not expect delays at this point. I'm sure the TMO's will be well worth the wait!  :thumb:

Thanks for the understanding.  :)

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 17:11:53 »
The Frog on a Log artisans have shipped to their vendors today. I want to apologise for taking so long to ship, things have been crazy at work with this whole Coronavirus thing. They should still arrive before the boards however.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 16:17:13 »
Cannonkeys latest update on timeline:

TMOv2 - Late April to Early May

Not too bad all things considered.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 03:30:21 »
Cannonkeys latest update on timeline:

TMOv2 - Late April to Early May

Not too bad all things considered.

Thanks for this info. As it stands, it was planned that TMOs would ship around late April/early May anyway as we did take into account possible delays (not of this degree though). As it stands now, I think the latest info was that the factory is doing QC but that was a little over a week ago. Given the holidays I need to check in with Upas on the status but it seems promising! :)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 03:06:28 »
Update 2020424

HERE WE GO BOYS...

I've been informed from Upas that factory has QC'd everything, remade a few brass parts that were lost somewhere in-the-process and are about to ship everything out to vendors! I have no information when shipments will reach vendors so keep an eye out on their social channels BUT I'd like to add that please be patient and don't ask them every day where's your TMOv2. :D Slighty joking, slightly serious!

Stickers have been made and patiently awaiting their chance to be put inside your package as well the artisans for clear PC base kit orders. Rooting for a safe and problem-free last steps so y'all can get your TMOs!

More

Be safe,
funderburker
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2020, 03:09:45 by funderburker »

Offline olivavek

• Oliva.us
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 05:14:40 »
Super excited for it  ;D
Will probably have some level of delay due to Covid-19, but it’s over step closer now!

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 11:24:35 »
Update 2020424

HERE WE GO BOYS...

I've been informed from Upas that factory has QC'd everything, remade a few brass parts that were lost somewhere in-the-process and are about to ship everything out to vendors! I have no information when shipments will reach vendors so keep an eye out on their social channels BUT I'd like to add that please be patient and don't ask them every day where's your TMOv2. :D Slighty joking, slightly serious!

Stickers have been made and patiently awaiting their chance to be put inside your package as well the artisans for clear PC base kit orders. Rooting for a safe and problem-free last steps so y'all can get your TMOs!

More
Show Image

Be safe,
funderburker

As an observer, it's been really nice to see the progress of this and how well you've kept your GB participants updated, routinely and with detail.  Runners take note!

Hope to see pics of these soon from the buyers!

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 09:35:39 »
As an observer, it's been really nice to see the progress of this and how well you've kept your GB participants updated, routinely and with detail.  Runners take note!

Hope to see pics of these soon from the buyers!

Thanks for the kind words! I just try to update once there's anything worthy to mention and being transparent on any issues if there's any.
Even a small update once a month seems to be enough just to remind people about this GB.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 09:52:54 »
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_xQtE8Hgpb/?igshid=1n665bi6t3cra

Does this mean NA orders should arrive soon?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline upas

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 10:41:20 »
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_xQtE8Hgpb/?igshid=1n665bi6t3cra

Does this mean NA orders should arrive soon?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NA orders are still in China, they've been shipped but due to COVID-19, shipping has been slow.

If other vendors receive their boards, you can use that as an indicator that the products have shipped, but that's about all.
If we're lucky, we will get them in this week and be able to ship them out! But even the estimates I receive from shipping companies typically fly by and get delayed frequently.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2020, 11:09:43 by upas »

Offline blacksimon

• illuminati.works
    • illuminati.works
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 09:19:41 »
ne red poly avail pls

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 14:41:32 »

Offline zokey.1119

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 02:37:33 »
Extra Clear poly pls :-[

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:04:06 »
are we there yet

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 03:38:07 »
are we there yet

Almost. Just hold it in a bit longer...  :rolleyes:

Offline pace8500

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 03:45:36 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 September 2023, 06:16:32 by pace8500 »

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 03:53:34 »

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline lanyusea

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 21:16:49 »
just received the shipping notification!

does anyone know how much value cannonkeys declare on the package?
HHKB Type-s / 4x KMAC Happy / 3x Duck Viper v1 / 2x Duck Viper v2 / 4x Duck Viper Duck TCV3 / Red Scarf 77 / 2x Infinity 60 / 2x ALF HHKB / LZ-CE / FJELL / Canoe / Canoe PC / Canoe FE / ARES Prototype / 2x Ares / LC-CLSh / TX60 / YODA2 / E6-V2 / E6-V2 FE / CAMP LC60 / 2x EM 7 / 4x Leaf 60 / UHK / Project F / Polaris / 4x Duck Viper v3 / TX60 v2 / Thermal / Matrix Falcon / TX60 v3 / 2x TMO50 / 2x Dolice / Dolphin 65 / Dolphin 60 / Plenty of keycaps

Offline Aevyn

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 00:28:53 »
Just FYI for anyone else modifying or planning on using the plate files, it's scale is x16 so make sure you scale it down x16 before you actually get a plate made.