Author Topic: [IC] Boston, a compact 120% (open-source; RNDKBD is doing a metal GB)  (Read 183778 times)

Offline JucheCatgirlTS

Re: [IC] Boston, a compact 120% (updated specs, 3D-printed version pics)
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 06 March 2021, 16:18:51 »
So I've got one of the B-stock PCB kits but unfortunately I no longer have access to a 3D printer capable of printing the case for this bad boy. Since ordering a one-off from Shapeways is crazy expensive, will there be any option for ordering just a case during the GB, either metal or printed? I'm eager to build it out and start using it but I'm rather stuck at the moment until I can find a printer or until the GB starts.

Regardless, I'm really impressed with the design and I can't wait to start using mine :-)

Offline Pylon

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 16:08:19 »
Yeah, that'll definitely be an option. Sorry to hear the loss of 3D printer access.

Offline long_qt_pie

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 22:28:15 »
Finally got to building mine, fun board to build!

Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline Virex

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 00:12:32 »

Show Image

Looking Good, watching this space for more updates! You have my support!

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 00:26:33 »

Show Image

Nice, love the space cadet keycaps :)
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline orb

• soft and round
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 16:09:24 »
Ooooh I love this... More keys = more good. Will there be split l-shift support? If so, this is definitely something I'd want to pick up!

Offline Pylon

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 19:05:43 »

Show Image

Nice! Looks awesome!

Will there be split l-shift support? If so, this is definitely something I'd want to pick up!

The current PCB and plate support the UK-style 1.25u left shift and extra > < key, if that's what you're referring to.

Offline LeoneShamoth

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 20:00:34 »
Is there any of the B-stock left? I would like to get a set if possible.

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 20:29:37 »
When is round 2?!?

Offline JucheCatgirlTS

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 14:52:29 »
Yeah, that'll definitely be an option. Sorry to hear the loss of 3D printer access.

Glad to hear it. Yeah my local library has a 3d printer but it's been out of commission recently waiting for some sort of repairs. I was able to get it printed elsewhere though so I'm going to build mine tomorrow - stay tuned! For me this design really has it all, 2u numpad '0', full 2x3 nav cluster, split spacebar and backspace, and all those programmable keys! I'm most excited for the split space though, I find it incredibly useful but it just doesn't seem very popular.

Offline JucheCatgirlTS

« Reply #160 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 02:54:58 »
Just finished mine a little while ago! Built with 62g Boba U4Ts everywhere except F13-F24 and the 3 keys above Print-ScrLck-Pause where I ran out; I used NK Blueberries there instead. I'll share some thoughts once I've been able to use it a bit more but so far I'm really enjoying it :-)

Thanks again Pylon!

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: Sun, 21 March 2021, 03:04:33 by JucheCatgirlTS »

Offline Starius

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 09:55:33 »
I only just discovered this project. I’m definitely gonna follow and keep an eye out for the metal version!  :thumb:

Offline Gaul

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 09:11:32 »
I was missing a full size keyboard, and this one doesn't compromise, can't wait for the 3d printed one :D

Offline LeoneShamoth

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 21:27:55 »
Well, I got my kit and assembled it, check out the video here: https://youtu.be/a4v0BqD0Gjg. Overall the keyboard is very nice and not too bad to put together, although I found balancing it hard. I do have to say that the front is a little tall, but that can be fixed with a wrist rest.

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 14:23:08 »
Alu case still happening?

Offline warbosschoppa

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:30:14 »
As a fellow Mass-hole and Bostonian I need this and made an account just to post this, when is round 2?

Offline derpturtle

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 22:55:22 »
now this is what a keyboard looks like

Offline Volny

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 07:18:19 »
Definitely interested in this. I'm a heavy macro user, and already implement many macros using F13-F24 keys. They don't actually exist on my board, but I get my Stream Decks and programs like Autohotkey to perform various virtual gymnastics and talk to each other by simulating and/or listening for those keys to trigger different things. I started doing this when I ran out of 'real' hotkeys to use  :D Having an extra row of F keys would be just great (whether to map to real F13-F24 keys to make my life easier, or to use in addition to them). I really like the efficient layout too.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 10:14:28 »
Definitely interested in this. I'm a heavy macro user, and already implement many macros using F13-F24 keys. They don't actually exist on my board, but I get my Stream Decks and programs like Autohotkey to perform various virtual gymnastics and talk to each other by simulating and/or listening for those keys to trigger different things. I started doing this when I ran out of 'real' hotkeys to use  :D Having an extra row of F keys would be just great (whether to map to real F13-F24 keys to make my life easier, or to use in addition to them). I really like the efficient layout too.

I set mine up to have there layers for the upper F-keys. I use the three extra keys above the lock keys to switch between them and the RGB led as the layer indicator. For now I have them as F13-24 , cntrl+F13-24 and alt+F13-24
So far I have only used a couple of them, but I figure I'll find more uses as time goes on.
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline JucheCatgirlTS

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 17:53:18 »
A few thoughts on the Boston:

Love having the split space on a larger board, although I exclusively use my left thumb for space and would prefer the larger spacekey on the left. I'd love to hear what other split-space users think. I'm guessing allowing for both orientations would create a swiss-cheese PCB.

The sound of the 3-D case board is soooo nice, kinda reminds me of vintage keyboards with those giant plastic enclosures. I put Boba U4ts in mine and it's one of the best-sounding boards I have IMO, it really makes these switches sound great.

Another user mentioned the front of the case seeming a bit tall. I was about to respectfully disagree, but I just compared to the...uh....4 other keyboards within arms' reach (!) and it is indeed a bit taller than any of those. This board definitely has an imposing presence on my desk, although in day-to-day use it doesn't feel particularly tall to me. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Offline spikedsynapse

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 18:06:24 »
How does one go about obtaining one of these beautiful monstrosities?? :D

Offline Inner-Ear

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 20:21:35 »
Here's mine:

Offline StreetMeat

• none
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 22:20:12 »
Oh man, I'm about to move back to Ohio, but I would love to pick this board up as a little (or huge) reminder of my time spent in Boston.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Pylon

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 23:25:24 »
Nice work JucheCatgirlTS, Inner-Ear, and LeoneShamoth! Also really appreciate the build video you did LeoneShamoth!

I've been selling B-stock PCBs, plates, and hardware kits - the people you see in this thread who are posting have 3D printed their own cases.  Unfortunately haven't done a formal GB for either the 3D-printed or the metal versions yet. I'm still working on both of them. I apologize for how long this is taking (it's approaching a year since I posted the IC).

I do owe all of you a longer update, which and I'll have something more detailed probably this weekend. I've been spending the past month trying to figure out FCC regulations around selling keyboard kits, and figuring out whether I need to run this keyboard through EMI/RFI compliance testing (which would entail significant cost and likely entail some changes to the project, including probably another redesign and some changes to the supported features and options). So far the regulations, FCC guidance, and past FCC rulings appear to be contradictory, and it's probably fine if I'm selling/running a GB for kits of the current design without testing if they require a substantial amount of assembly, but I'm still trying to figure out what I should do regarding this moving forward, as it might still be best if I get the board through FCC testing. These regulations also have broad implications upon the broader custom keyboard hobby. Again I'll do a more detailed post in a couple of days explaining these regulations and what I'm thinking about moving forward. 

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 05:58:00 »
Nice work JucheCatgirlTS, Inner-Ear, and LeoneShamoth! Also really appreciate the build video you did LeoneShamoth!

I've been selling B-stock PCBs, plates, and hardware kits - the people you see in this thread who are posting have 3D printed their own cases.  Unfortunately haven't done a formal GB for either the 3D-printed or the metal versions yet. I'm still working on both of them. I apologize for how long this is taking (it's approaching a year since I posted the IC).

I do owe all of you a longer update, which and I'll have something more detailed probably this weekend. I've been spending the past month trying to figure out FCC regulations around selling keyboard kits, and figuring out whether I need to run this keyboard through EMI/RFI compliance testing (which would entail significant cost and likely entail some changes to the project, including probably another redesign and some changes to the supported features and options). So far the regulations, FCC guidance, and past FCC rulings appear to be contradictory, and it's probably fine if I'm selling/running a GB for kits of the current design without testing if they require a substantial amount of assembly, but I'm still trying to figure out what I should do regarding this moving forward, as it might still be best if I get the board through FCC testing. These regulations also have broad implications upon the broader custom keyboard hobby. Again I'll do a more detailed post in a couple of days explaining these regulations and what I'm thinking about moving forward.

I always thought that GB has been run and done! My interest has been re-piqued. Good luck with the regulations there.

Offline Volny

« Reply #175 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 07:09:17 »
Yeah, the more I look at this (and the more I realise the dearth of fullsize+ keyboards on the market) the more I think this is going to be my next keyboard!  :thumb:

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 08:50:22 »
I am drooling!

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 21:12:00 »
If there is any more B stock or another round, message me and I’m in. Looks like this would be a great work keyboard for me.

Offline jkongers

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 21:16:55 »
+1 for a B stock barebones kit if you can ship to Canada!

Offline Volny

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 23:33:29 »
Now that I'm increasingly interested in this, I've taken a closer look and have a few questions.

The KLE pic is inaccurate when it comes to the gap between the top 2 rows and bottom 5 rows. The KLE shows the gap as being 0.5u, while the prototype pics show it as being 0.75u (I measured in Photoshop). Given there's an extra top row to reach, could the gap be shortened to be more like the KLE? Or even shorter? (On the Corsair K100 I'm using at the moment, the gap seems to be ~0.2u)

Does the detailed Boston city map engraving add to the production cost? If so, can it be made optional? It looks pretty cool, and would be awesome for people who have an emotional attachment to that city, but that's bound to be a minority, and it's also visually busy. No matter what, this beautiful behemoth will cost an arm and a leg, so I'd rather pay for features I'll actually benefit from (or even just for an increased profit margin for you) than for an engraving that will just lie forgotten collecting grime on the underside.

The screws on the front - they're pretty ugly. And I can imagine thumbs occasionally bumping into them as they rest or slide across the keyboard. Could they at least be made flush with the case surface?

What color will the plate for the plastic version be? There's a lot of reflection coming off it in some of the prototype pics, suggesting it's metal or perhaps white. Any chance there'll be a dark/black option?

What does "single-color LED backlight support" mean exactly? Does it mean that every key can have an LED, but their brightness/on/off state can't be controlled independently? Or does it mean that there'll be some LEDs dotted around the PCB independent of the keys, providing a general glow? If it's the former, then will color be changeable in some way (as a single 121-key group, not per-key) or will the color be set in stone by the physical color of the installed LEDs?

Thanks

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 12:35:07 »
It does seem that it would be just as easy to screw it together from the backside as from the top (thus hiding the screws). Or, countersinking the screw holes would look better. In any case, getting rid of the pan head screws would seem to be a plus.

I like that the case isn't anodized. It would be easy/inexpensive to get it coated locally and makes for a nice customization option for people.

My guess is that if you want to start selling kits, you could get cases, plates, and PCBs, foam, etc, put it on a website, people will buy it. I'd lean towards adding any and all options, QMK, VIA, USB, RGB, ABC, etc. - this looks like a board that people would want to use every day, not just add to their collection.

I agree with the previous comment that the Boston graphic likely doesn't add to many people's interest in this board as few people have any connection to Boston - 0.2% of Americans live there. It wouldn't stop me from buying it though. I would prefer a barebones kit, even to do my own anodizing seems like a fun customization option. Most cities have places that will anodize for people who don't want to DIY. You could also offer anodizing for a fee and probably make a very good margin on it (DIY anodizing isn't for everyone, most people don't have buckets of acid laying around, and you can get it done in batches much more economically, and make money on it...

Anyway, I want in the GB... I PM'd... will PM my contact info since I don't login here very often.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 11:06:54 »

The KLE pic is inaccurate when it comes to the gap between the top 2 rows and bottom 5 rows. The KLE shows the gap as being 0.5u, while the prototype pics show it as being 0.75u (I measured in Photoshop). Given there's an extra top row to reach, could the gap be shortened to be more like the KLE? Or even shorter? (On the Corsair K100 I'm using at the moment, the gap seems to be ~0.2u)

It's a 0.5u gap on the 3D-printed version and on the newer metal version. The metal version pictures are of an older prototype with a larger gap. The KLE is also meant purely for displaying compatible layouts and is not meant to be representative of the gaps between clusters, though it happens to be accurate for that as of now.

Does the detailed Boston city map engraving add to the production cost? If so, can it be made optional? It looks pretty cool, and would be awesome for people who have an emotional attachment to that city, but that's bound to be a minority, and it's also visually busy. No matter what, this beautiful behemoth will cost an arm and a leg, so I'd rather pay for features I'll actually benefit from (or even just for an increased profit margin for you) than for an engraving that will just lie forgotten collecting grime on the underside.

The map does not add any cost on the 3D-printed version as it's made as a PCB. Solder mask, copper, and silkscreen are free on PCBs. I don't intend on offering a bottom panel without the map on that version. The metal version will not have the map, as I'll have to either silkscreen print it, engrave it, or laser etch it, which adds cost and results in another item to QC.

The screws on the front - they're pretty ugly. And I can imagine thumbs occasionally bumping into them as they rest or slide across the keyboard. Could they at least be made flush with the case surface?

I've thought about switching to countersunk screws, but I have concerns over how well countersinks will 3D print in the current orientation I print it in. I've also thought about switching from top mount to bottom mount to try to move the screws to the bottom, which is a possibility. If I have to do a redesign to get this FCC certified I will probably implement this.

What color will the plate for the plastic version be? There's a lot of reflection coming off it in some of the prototype pics, suggesting it's metal or perhaps white. Any chance there'll be a dark/black option?

It is matte black solder mask as of now. The early prototypes were done with silver (bare HASL-Leadfree), but the finish was kind of poor so I switched to black solder mask.

What does "single-color LED backlight support" mean exactly? Does it mean that every key can have an LED, but their brightness/on/off state can't be controlled independently? Or does it mean that there'll be some LEDs dotted around the PCB independent of the keys, providing a general glow? If it's the former, then will color be changeable in some way (as a single 121-key group, not per-key) or will the color be set in stone by the physical color of the installed LEDs?

The entire backlight is controlled as an entire block. You cannot turn individual keys on/off. Color is determined by the LED you solder in.

I like that the case isn't anodized. It would be easy/inexpensive to get it coated locally and makes for a nice customization option for people.

I plan on offering the metal version anodized, though raw aluminum may be offered as an option. The prototypes aren't anodized since I didn't want to pay for anodization on the prototype (I also personally like  raw aluminum).

Also, I still owe an update on the FCC situation. It's taking me a while to write - apologies for the delays there.

« Last Edit: Fri, 30 April 2021, 11:08:26 by Pylon »

Offline lllchevy350lll

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 09:53:07 »
got my boston built last night. so much fun to build. what size knob do we need for this?

Offline Muad_Keeb

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 10:08:20 »
Oh my! I didn't realize there were plates available. I've got a large-format 3D printer and a dream, how does one get in on a beta?

Offline lllchevy350lll

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 03 May 2021, 10:51:15 »
Oh my! I didn't realize there were plates available. I've got a large-format 3D printer and a dream, how does one get in on a beta?

ask pylon if he has any more barebones kits

Offline pepo2181

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 07:08:28 »
Finally got the time to finish mine.
Put JTK Toxic to use...
sorry for the potato picture
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 May 2021, 07:11:23 by pepo2181 »

Offline Muad_Keeb

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 07:52:59 »
So I've got one of the B-stock PCB kits but unfortunately I no longer have access to a 3D printer capable of printing the case for this bad boy. Since ordering a one-off from Shapeways is crazy expensive, will there be any option for ordering just a case during the GB, either metal or printed? I'm eager to build it out and start using it but I'm rather stuck at the moment until I can find a printer or until the GB starts.

Regardless, I'm really impressed with the design and I can't wait to start using mine :-)

Not sure if you got this done yet, but I'm happy to print and ship you one at cost.

Offline xavierlh

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 09:36:35 »
will this ever run again?

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 10:15:00 »
will this ever run again?

It hasn't even officially started yet.

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 23:05:12 »
~snip~

Where did you get that encoder knob? It would go perfectly with mine.

Offline pepo2181

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 20:44:42 »
~snip~
That is beyond rad! Thank you!

Offline LaserCrafter

• reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 22:22:36 »
any plans for gb date?
Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline Pylon

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 22:38:06 »
Sorry for the lack of update still - I'm busy this week trying to finish up my taxes. No GB date yet - sorry.

Also admittedly I have been distracted a fair amount in the past month making and publishing force curves for switches, though I also believe that's been a more pressing need for the community as a whole, but I am going to pivot back to this project this week after I finish my taxes.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2021, 23:38:33 by Pylon »

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 11:41:12 »
Just learned about this project, and it sounds and looks great!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline 1MachineElf

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 12:07:25 »
This project is AWESOME!!!

I love the map of Boston on the back FR4 plate - this seems to be THE end-game keyboard for playing Fallout 4.

Your assembly guide is impressively (!!!) detailed: https://github.com/bluepylons/Boston/blob/master/Boston%20-%20Current%20design/3D-printed%20case%20-%20parts/Draft%20instructions%20(barebones%20kit).pdf

Just today I learned about this keyboard from the DSS Late Harvest renders posted by NoPunIn10Did on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboardsUK/comments/n4ovcr/gb_dss_late_harvest_ukiso_in_base_kit_est/

Offline thicthock

« Reply #196 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 15:25:12 »
the first time my best friends actually likes a board.  :D

Offline eibbun

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 22:02:01 »
oh the gb never happened... here's to hoping it still happens one day :thumb:

Offline Kuki

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 02:51:38 »
Really looking forward to this one! (alu)
I'm not really a fan of those "dinky" <80% boards, so this really is a welcome change!
Should go nicely with the KAT Space Dust i just preordered  ;D
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 May 2021, 02:59:38 by Kuki »

Offline Hamptonn

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 06:34:49 »
Are the files still and b sides still available? I'd love to knock one of these together. Totally agree we need more 96+ boards.
Filco Majestouch 2 Convertible, Zeal v2 62g lubed & filmed, Modded stabs, SA Snowcap