Author Topic: [IC] KAT Refined - GB starts tomorrow!  (Read 191010 times)

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Re: [IC] KAT Refined
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 07:49:34 »
On the Mac Kit would you consider adding more function keys up to F19?
From another Mac user: Please either add those keys to the F-row kit, or not at all.
Sub-TKL builds are way more popular these days. If someone already skips the F-row kit, what would they need F16-19 for? Seems wasteful.

Good point. It does add quite a few extra keys for what seems a very small group.

That could be a good solution, or they could be broken out into a separate kit. It's six additional keys. Since it's Keyreative, there's no MOQ on individual keys or kits, right? I know this would add complexity by adding another SKU but I think it would be cool for some Mac users since it's basically never offered. Another benefit could be for TKL Mac users allowing them to use F13, F14 and F15 rather than Print, Pause and Num Lock since those functions don't exist.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 10:07:31 »
Since we're changing traditions here, on mac keyboards underscore is vertically aligned with + which I think looks excellent and balances the key quite a bit. I bet not many people realise that it is underscore that's above the minus, not vice versa considering that there is a + sign on the right, so I think not going "by the book" with underscore makes a lot of sense.

Show Image

I am a little bit confused about what you are saying, or maybe I am just misinterpreting you.

Having the underscore center height aligned with the plus sign is exactly what makes it hard to understand. Is it a minus symbol or an underscore? GMK/Cherry actually has the underscore in the correct place so not sure why it needs to be less understandable by moving it up? It makes no sense to me, but please correct me if I misunderstood your request  ;)

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #252 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 18:10:55 »

Since we're changing traditions here, on mac keyboards underscore is vertically aligned with + which I think looks excellent and balances the key quite a bit. I bet not many people realise that it is underscore that's above the minus, not vice versa considering that there is a + sign on the right, so I think not going "by the book" with underscore makes a lot of sense.

Show Image

I am a little bit confused about what you are saying, or maybe I am just misinterpreting you.

Having the underscore center height aligned with the plus sign is exactly what makes it hard to understand. Is it a minus symbol or an underscore? GMK/Cherry actually has the underscore in the correct place so not sure why it needs to be less understandable by moving it up? It makes no sense to me, but please correct me if I misunderstood your request  ;)

Hey now. Mac layouts are all about less understandable. Clearly it's what the people want!

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #253 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 23:38:16 »
spacebars kit would be nice

Offline kgorin

• Formerly aka_gk
« Reply #254 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 11:02:46 »

What I mean is that in my opinion no one cares if it's an underscore or a minus there, I for one was for a longest time thinking that the upper symbol was a minus (since plus is also an upper legend). The reason I was not actually bothered by that is I know that it's a dash and it's an underscore when pressed with shift without really looking at legends.

Let's put it bluntly, I am offering to sacrifice "correctness" to visual appearance :)

I understand if no one cares for that, but I gotta try :D GMK legends just don't look good from the aesthetical standpoint IMO

Offline TacoTypes

« Reply #255 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 11:09:53 »
I don't know if you've already come to a conclusion on this but I wish you could make an alpha kit with the f row keys or at least a dual-color f row kit like the one in the render. Imo its seems kinda extra to take the time to make a kit only for the f row... I don't know if I'm just being nooby but it just doesn't seem all that necessary...

Edit: Please tell me if I'm being stupid or just correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 June 2020, 11:14:17 by TacoTypes »

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #256 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 14:07:11 »
I don't know if you've already come to a conclusion on this but I wish you could make an alpha kit with the f row keys or at least a dual-color f row kit like the one in the render. Imo its seems kinda extra to take the time to make a kit only for the f row... I don't know if I'm just being nooby but it just doesn't seem all that necessary...

For KAT, there is a downside to having too many SKUs, but outside of that, breaking out something like an F-row can be a net positive for common keyboard users. 

Adding them to the alphas would increase the price of that kit for everybody, even those who don't use F-keys.  If the designer really needs to decrease total SKU count, they should add the F-rows into one of the sets supporting TKL and other row-staggered layouts.

Most alpha kits that include F-row kits are intended as alternatives to the default alphas, rather than here where there are two true core alpha kits.

Offline Techichi

« Reply #257 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 10:17:19 »
I would be in for the black for sure...maybe both.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #258 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 16:21:58 »

Show Image

Wait, wait, wait... is it NOT an em dash? —  :cool:

Offline loof

« Reply #259 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 12:55:19 »
I would really appreciate an R2 backslash in the international kit for US ISO compatibility. Otherwise I would have to buy the whole ortho kit just for one key.
They did so with modern dolch 2.

Offline glances

« Reply #260 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 13:55:47 »
100% in either way, but I'm really hoping for full icon mods instead of text based for Control, Code, and Alt (and maybe even Fn), since those are already offered in other kits.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 June 2020, 12:36:06 by glances »

Offline TacoTypes

« Reply #261 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 11:29:12 »

For KAT, there is a downside to having too many SKUs, but outside of that, breaking out something like an F-row can be a net positive for common keyboard users. 

Adding them to the alphas would increase the price of that kit for everybody, even those who don't use F-keys.  If the designer really needs to decrease total SKU count, they should add the F-rows into one of the sets supporting TKL and other row-staggered layouts.

Most alpha kits that include F-row kits are intended as alternatives to the default alphas, rather than here where there are two true core alpha kits.

Okay so a second alpha kit with an f row is a no go. But can we get a dual-color f row so that you wouldn't have to buy both f rows just so you can have them set up like the one shown in the renders?

Thanks for any help I know I'm being nooby. :p

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #262 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 12:55:51 »

Okay so a second alpha kit with an f row is a no go. But can we get a dual-color f row so that you wouldn't have to buy both f rows just so you can have them set up like the one shown in the renders?

That is also a no go  ;). The whole point with running dual colorways is that people can mix and match if they want to, not force it on them. The function row kit will likely be pretty cheap so buying both shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise I'd have to offer BoW, WoB and TWO mixed sets (depending on which one u choose for mods). It seems pretty unreasonable imho.

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #263 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 13:06:13 »

Thanks for any help I know I'm being nooby.

That is also a no go  ;). The whole point with running dual colorways is that people can mix and match if they want to, not force it on them. The function row kit will likely be pretty cheap so buying both shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise I'd have to offer BoW, WoB and TWO mixed sets (depending on which one u choose for mods). It seems pretty unreasonable imho.
Nooo! What happened to hhkb kits! C'mon man :(

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline Mekberg

« Reply #264 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 02:58:08 »
Kits look really awesome now. Only thing for me (and I totally get if you don't want this) is it would be nice to have the 1.5u "System" in the basekit, or just anything 1.5u R1 that isn't just Control and Alt. For WKL boards having Ctrl/Alt and Alt/Win is a nice layout, and having just any other label on a single key in the basekit would solve having to buy a whole other kit just for that one different key.

But other than that I can't really complain. Looks like it's easier to make a HHKB layout now and I basically would only have to get the base kit and NorDe to cover most of my existing or planned boards.

Hmm... that said, would you consider breaking out space bars into their own kit? Right now, anyone with any kind of split that isn't ortho would have to get the entire ortho kit just to have spacebar caps. That feels a bit over the top. Yes, again, looking to my own future purchase of the Kendo... :D

Offline pointlessone

« Reply #265 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 15:09:29 »
Please add Ergodox Kit and maybe mac icon modifiers

Offline Lazy_Borzoi

« Reply #266 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 18:51:49 »
Very interesting set but I can't get over the arrow keys. Those offset arrows look ... off.

Offline glances

« Reply #267 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 15:14:18 »
Very interesting set but I can't get over the arrow keys. Those offset arrows look ... off.

You have a GMK set in your signature that also has offset arrows. How do you feel about those?

Offline IvernTheTree

« Reply #268 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 17:42:23 »
This is a noob question cuz I am new to this hobby but how can I get into this Groupbuy?

Offline Techichi

« Reply #269 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 17:59:44 »
This is a noob question cuz I am new to this hobby but how can I get into this Groupbuy?

This is the interest check thread. Eventually they will link us to the group buy thread. From there they will inform us on how to join the group buy.

Offline blaqbern

« Reply #270 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 21:31:32 »
I really like the look of an all WOB board with BOW escape and enter. Would you consider adding an accent kit so folks could add just a few accent keys of the opposite color?
Maybe something like: Esc plus some/all variants of Enter, ISO Enter and numpad Enter.
The kits are really shaping up nicely!

Offline Mekanist

• Archetype
« Reply #271 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 22:14:20 »
Im definitely in for this, but I have to say, the arrow keys seem kinda big.

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #272 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 03:26:27 »
I thought I had already posted this but can't find it in my posts; the numbers on the number row look too small and this looks especially bad next to the tertiary legends and ß in the NorDe kit.

Also, have you made up your mind on if you're going to include Colevrak+?

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #273 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 05:22:48 »
I thought I had already posted this but can't find it in my posts; the numbers on the number row look too small and this looks especially bad next to the tertiary legends and ß in the NorDe kit.

Also, have you made up your mind on if you're going to include Colevrak+?

had to take a look after you pointed it out and now i wish i had never read this comment  :-X

numrow numbers could really use being a little bigger or the other icons on the keys a little smaller, either one would work imo.

Offline esmtll

• scottmitchell.co
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 08:51:43 »
Two for Mac Icon Mods. This would allow an all-icon modifier set with the Icon Mods sets for Mac users (who are more likely to want icon mods on their bottom row).

You don’t even need a second Mac set. I’d be happy to spend the money for both icons and text in the Mac set.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 June 2020, 08:59:25 by esmtll »

Offline LZRD

« Reply #275 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 22:23:49 »
Any chance we'll see an opposite colour tilde key with the alpha kits?

Offline sstadler06

« Reply #276 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 02:45:32 »
Hell yeah, I'm in for a bow set. I feel like I prefer the mods with text and images

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #277 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 02:57:56 »
Two for Mac Icon Mods. This would allow an all-icon modifier set with the Icon Mods sets for Mac users (who are more likely to want icon mods on their bottom row).

You don’t even need a second Mac set. I’d be happy to spend the money for both icons and text in the Mac set.
I second that.

Offline afluffybubble

« Reply #278 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 04:14:22 »
Heya!

For the OCE vendor, would it be possible to see Daily Clack! :D

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #279 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 06:23:15 »

I second that.

Ergo and Mac mod icons are coming. Added in the todo list  ;)

Heya!

Quite possible. Have not looked in to it yet but I will check with them.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #280 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 15:24:30 »
Any chance we'll see an opposite colour tilde key with the alpha kits?

Wouldn't that make more sense as part of a mod kit? That being said, I too would like to see a `~ option, namely in the mod kits.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #281 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 16:39:38 »

I second that.

does this mean we also get icon mods for non-mac users? I believe theres also demand for that, and wouldn't make sense to include only 1 of them
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 June 2020, 08:07:42 by Bl4ck »

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #282 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 08:04:05 »
Heya!

^^

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #283 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 09:23:52 »
Heya!

Heya!

^^

Done  ;)

Offline ISOxSwap

« Reply #284 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 12:35:57 »
I'm so stoked about this kits!

And for desk mats I think your GH Logo would work great in both BoW & WoB!

Offline timescam

• Professional Colevrak Beggar
« Reply #285 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 21:19:25 »
any change for a colevrak kit?
pretty pls

Offline TacoTypes

« Reply #286 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 09:56:06 »

Two more things. Can we get a 1.5u \ key in the alphas? I feel it would be a waste to have to buy a whole separate mod set for one key... And is it possible to get a 6.25u spacebar in the alphas? I'm pretty sure every other KAT kit has had a spacebar in the alphas and I don't see why this set shouldn't have one either.

Please again. Tell me if I've been misled.

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 June 2020, 10:10:31 by TacoTypes »

Offline jubei

« Reply #287 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 13:08:08 »
Can’t wait for GB. Happen to know ETA for release? Thanks

Offline lamonayon

« Reply #288 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 14:02:00 »
Hi All! Do we have an estimate timeline at the moment for the KAT Refined?

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #289 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 15:05:19 »

Two more things. Can we get a 1.5u \ key in the alphas? I feel it would be a waste to have to buy a whole separate mod set for one key... And is it possible to get a 6.25u spacebar in the alphas? I'm pretty sure every other KAT kit has had a spacebar in the alphas and I don't see why this set shouldn't have one either.

KAT Space Cadet doesn't have space in alphas ;)

Thank you for your suggestions though, I will go through the whole thread at a later stage when I am redoing the kits and give this another look. Big update will come later.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #290 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 15:07:18 »

Timings depend a little bit on how the following KAT sets will turn out. I believe we have another one shipping soon. I have a date set already but don't want to communicate it until I know it will happen. It's not too far off though. More on this later.

Offline willyG

« Reply #291 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 15:31:59 »
been waiting for some "high-key" professional looking KAT sets. In for both

Offline CoolMike

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #292 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 15:47:38 »
Would be awesome to see this become a thing and also with some new colorways that are popular..not that I don't like black and white, it's super elegant.

Pretty much a less aggressive KAT form, nice work.

GL

Mike

Offline TacoTypes

« Reply #293 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 10:28:03 »

KAT Space Cadet doesn't have space in alphas ;)

Thank you for your suggestions though, I will go through the whole thread at a later stage when I am redoing the kits and give this another look. Big update will come later.

I see. The only thing that I'm noticing is that the KAT space cadet set had a different color spacebar in the mods. I don't feel like you should put a different color spacebar in the mods because then we would again have one spacebar that some people don't want and would lack the spacebar that they did want. I feel that an addition of a spacebar in the alphas would appeal to many as they wouldn't have to buy an extra spacebar set or mod set just for one key just like the \ key that I mentioned earlier.

Thanks for all of the support and willingness to accept feedback! I honestly just fell in love with the iron180 render that you had made, and would like to attempt to recreate it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2020, 11:55:14 by TacoTypes »

Offline lamonayon

« Reply #294 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 07:02:28 »
Timings depend a little bit on how the following KAT sets will turn out. I believe we have another one shipping soon. I have a date set already but don't want to communicate it until I know it will happen. It's not too far off though. More on this later.

Thanks man!

Will we be able to purchase mixed units?  Bow for modifiers and and WoB for alphas and vice versa?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #295 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 07:43:15 »
Will we be able to purchase mixed units?  Bow for modifiers and and WoB for alphas and vice versa?

Yes, they are kits, so you are free to pick 'n' mix however you please.

Offline Armaguard

« Reply #296 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 00:53:08 »

Big excite now. Thanks for all your work on this set!
Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out when the QC issues with the molds are resolved.
In for ergo + alphas in BoW for sure. Possibly others too.

Offline jubei

« Reply #297 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 14:27:35 »

Nicely planned. Can't wait.

Offline blaqbern

« Reply #298 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 16:08:21 »
Any chance we could see a 1.5 Function in the extra mods kits? This would helpful for filling out the area to right of the spacebar for the Ion Zenith and the Wyvern (probably others too).
Really fantastic work on this so far. Looking forward to the kit updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Keyjus

« Reply #299 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 07:39:38 »
A spacebar kit woule be really nice. Otherwise you would have to buy the whole ortho set just for the split spacebar.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 July 2020, 16:51:48 by Keyjus »