Author Topic: IBM Model M + Generic Keyboard For Donor Membrane & USB Controller?  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Matty

I have purchased a broken (Lexmark) Model M off of eBay, and I will need to replace the controller. While I am at it, I would like to convert it to USB.

I looked at an old Lenovo Preferred Pro II, and I noticed that the key spacing looks pretty standard, so I disassembeled the board and checked to see the size of the membrane and the placement of the contacts. It looks like all alphanumeric, navigation and numpad keys line up, it's only the function keys and any keys with stabilizers that dont align.

It looks like the Model M membrane has two contact points for stabalized keys and the function row is higher on the Model M than the more modern Lenovo keyboard.

Does anyone know of generic USB membrane keyboards that would have the same function row height as the Model M? I am hoping that if I can find a keyboard that fits the criteria, it will be a very cheap and easy USB conversion for the Model M. Especially in Aus, as some of the parts I have been looking at are not cheap.

Cheers,

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: IBM Model M + Generic Keyboard For Donor Membrane & USB Controller?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 20:19:59 »
The Key Tronic E036000U2 has a matching layout, right down to the case.

As I happen to have one of these apart, seems the membrane matches up as well.

If you're looking for them, the top of the case looks EXACTLY like an M case (well, M13, it's black).

Sure there are similar models.

Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Matty

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 20:53:48 »
The Key Tronic E036000U2 has a matching layout, right down to the case.

As I happen to have one of these apart, seems the membrane matches up as well.

If you're looking for them, the top of the case looks EXACTLY like an M case (well, M13, it's black).

Sure there are similar models.

Thanks for the reply and apologies for my very late reply :p

I was holding out hope to find one of these, but they are almost rarer than a Model M ironically. If I ever come across one of these, I reckon I'll buy it.

For now I'm going to go down the path of using Soarers Converter on a Pro Micro/equivalent.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 23:53:16 »
For now I'm going to go down the path of using Soarers Converter on a Pro Micro/equivalent.
In the top post you said you'd need a new controller. If this is the case a Soarer's won't work for you. In order for Soarer's to work the controller must be functional.

Soarer's converter ... well ... converts the signals from the original controller to USB. If the original controller isn't working the Soarer's won't have anything to convert from.
REΛLFORCE

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 08:28:50 »
for model parts i think you should ask unicomp, it is likely that their usb controller would work in an old M, if your controller is dead that is, else if you so not wich to reprogram the layout cheap blue dual port ps/2 to usb converters work very well with the M, if you care about reprogramming then hasu's TMK IBM converter or Soarer's would be your best bets
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Matty

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 18:29:25 »
In the top post you said you'd need a new controller. If this is the case a Soarer's won't work for you. In order for Soarer's to work the controller must be functional.

Soarer's converter ... well ... converts the signals from the original controller to USB. If the original controller isn't working the Soarer's won't have anything to convert from.

Yep, you are 100% correct! I should have reread my post before replying.

I beleive my controller may be okay, but I wont know for sure until I have a Pro Micro connected. I'd use PS/2, but I don't have a device with PS/2 any more.

for model parts i think you should ask unicomp, it is likely that their usb controller would work in an old M, if your controller is dead that is, else if you so not wich to reprogram the layout cheap blue dual port ps/2 to usb converters work very well with the M, if you care about reprogramming then hasu's TMK IBM converter or Soarer's would be your best bets

I did look at going down this path, but USD to AUD + GST + Shipping makes buying anything from Unicomp quite cost prohibitive.