Author Topic: What your fav mouse?  (Read 619656 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: What your fav mouse?
« Reply #900 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 21:24:39 »
Thermaltake Volos in White

I've been looking for a new mouse for like a year now... My trusty Logitech MX-518 has been great, I just hate the shape along the right side.  Anyway, I've gone through many candidates and have done a lot of research, but then I stumbled upon this one today, and I think this will be the one.  When it's finally released in the U.S.

(Otherwise my top contenders were Kone Pure Color or Steelseries Sensei--until now).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #901 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 21:40:39 »
Thermaltake Volos in White

Show Image

I've been looking for a new mouse for like a year now... My trusty Logitech MX-518 has been great, I just hate the shape along the right side.  Anyway, I've gone through many candidates and have done a lot of research, but then I stumbled upon this one today, and I think this will be the one.  When it's finally released in the U.S.

(Otherwise my top contenders were Kone Pure Color or Steelseries Sensei--until now).
Oh wow, that might be the funkiest ugly mouse I've seen. With the xbox buttons you'd think it'd have xinput support out of the box, although I very much doubt that, but that'd be a neat feature.

If you do get it I'd very much like to hear your opinion on it.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #902 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 21:48:11 »
That looks hideous. I don't see how the two black keys near the thumb area can be of any practical use.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #903 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 23:30:50 »
Yeah, that could be acquired taste for some.  But it fits certain criteria I have, so it works for me.  :thumb:

Offline synerr

« Reply #904 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 05:43:52 »
I have just received a Kensington Slimblade trackball.  I have arthritic aggravated rsi and the trackball is a marked increase in comfort I haven't experienced since I traded my old generic non mechanical and laptop keyboards for the Kinesis contoured.   However, I also have a trackpad accessible on my left hand side so I can scroll with my right fingers and actuate with the left.  Working surprisingly well that now considering adding the mouse buttons to the actual keyboard surface.
Press any key to continue, any other key to quit.

Offline proxy2gate

« Reply #905 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 05:57:20 »
I can't recommend the CM Storm Spawn enough. It feels amazing in your hand and the sensor is perfect!

Offline ctbear

« Reply #906 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 13:10:43 »
I have just received a Kensington Slimblade trackball.  I have arthritic aggravated rsi and the trackball is a marked increase in comfort I haven't experienced since I traded my old generic non mechanical and laptop keyboards for the Kinesis contoured.   However, I also have a trackpad accessible on my left hand side so I can scroll with my right fingers and actuate with the left.  Working surprisingly well that now considering adding the mouse buttons to the actual keyboard surface.

I've always thought about using a trackball for work but the change scares me. Is it hard to get used to if I am a really heavy mouse user?

Offline synerr

« Reply #907 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 14:00:21 »

I've always thought about using a trackball for work but the change scares me. Is it hard to get used to if I am a really heavy mouse user?

It took me under half an hour to get comfortable with it.  Having said that I repeat that I am doing some of the mouse events (right clicking) on the a separate trackpad as per attached depending on what I'm doing and what feels most comfortable.

Accuracy wise it's up there but I doubt one can ever match the speed and dexterity of a mouse.  My objective however remains to minimise stress on hands.

41167-0

Offline ctbear

« Reply #908 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 14:22:52 »

It took me under half an hour to get comfortable with it.  Having said that I repeat that I am doing some of the mouse events (right clicking) on the a separate trackpad as per attached depending on what I'm doing and what feels most comfortable.

Accuracy wise it's up there but I doubt one can ever match the speed and dexterity of a mouse.  My objective however remains to minimise stress on hands.

(Attachment Link)

That's the main reason I am considering a trackball too.
I want to try it, but the Slimblade goes for about $100 on Amazon, which is kind of steep for an experiment/trial. Do you have any cheaper recommendation?

Offline synerr

« Reply #909 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 14:59:32 »

That's the main reason I am considering a trackball too.
I want to try it, but the Slimblade goes for about $100 on Amazon, which is kind of steep for an experiment/trial. Do you have any cheaper recommendation?

Not really.  I have never used any trackball of any sorts up till 2 days ago.  £65 was very steep for me too.  It was going to be my Christmas present from my wife but paid for it now with some amazon vouchers I got for my employers for my 5 year anniversary on the job.  The horrendously expensive Kinesis left a big dent in my pocket but with wrist pain reaching unbearable levels my ability to work was being affected.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #910 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 19:17:54 »
Yeah, that could be acquired taste for some.  But it fits certain criteria I have, so it works for me.  :thumb:

I know judging it based on a few pictures doesn't really hold any water, but my impression so far is that the mouse was designed by someone who doesn't know the meaning of that word.
Like a marketing guy going through a list; "people play LoL and WoW, and they want a bunch of buttons, right? and xbox is popular, let's add some of that. oh and we need some of that dpi stuff, let's put some buttons for that on there."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #911 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 19:21:26 »
That's okay, everyone's notion of attractive is different.  I find a lot of Razer mice absolutely hideous, like the bulbous Naga series.  Mionix Naos is hideous to me, as is CM Storm Spawn.  Those are all very popular mice.  I like the clean lines of Steelseries and Roccat mice as much as the next person, but I think this one's pretty cool myself.  Perhaps they shouldn't have chosen that weird pink-red backlight color for their promo photos.

Offline Toad1677

« Reply #912 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 19:41:06 »
The Rat 7 by far is the best mouse I've ever used.  :thumb:
QFR MX Blue, Blackbird MX Blue, KBP V60 MX Green, KUL ES-87 MX Green, Pok3r Mx Clear

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #913 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 23:09:15 »
The Razer Naga really is beyond hideous. I own a Lachesis Refresh but at least that one looks nice.

RAT 7 is still my favorite though, in terms of looks and sheer comfort.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #914 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 06:08:02 »
The Razer Naga really is beyond hideous. I own a Lachesis Refresh but at least that one looks nice.

RAT 7 is still my favorite though, in terms of looks and sheer comfort.

Yeah, I love the Naga to bits, but it looks like some sort of bloated ugly spider. Lachesis Refresh is probably one of the best looking mice though, I really like the long wavy sleekness of it.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #915 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:28:48 »
Just recently learned that "Enhance Pointer Precision" option in Windows is actually a setting that introduces acceleration.  It's always been on by default, and I didn't give it much thought.  Learning to use my mouse without it now--feels so strange :(  Hopefully it won't take long to adjust.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #916 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:33:24 »
Just recently learned that "Enhance Pointer Precision" option in Windows is actually a setting that introduces acceleration.  It's always been on by default, and I didn't give it much thought.  Learning to use my mouse without it now--feels so strange :(  Hopefully it won't take long to adjust.
You don't have to work/play without accel, a lot of people think all accel is bad due to all the talk about sensors with accel and stuff, but the problem isn't the acceleration itself, the problem is when you can't control it or disable it if you want.

If you prefer accel I would suggest disabling the Windows one and instead enabling it in the mouse software or game settings, as there you can tweak the accel to your liking.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #917 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:39:51 »
When I tried drawing spirals in Paint as a test, they were a lot more accurate and fluid when acceleration was off than with the "enhance pointer precision" being turned on.  So I figured that was a good indicator.  But it's definitely more difficult to focus on tabs and links to click, as I keep moving just past them.  I don't think there's any specific software for this, as my mouse is pretty old (MX518).

I just can't make fast swiping movements without it.  It's a lot more accurate with slower more gradual motion.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:43:41 by Photoelectric »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #918 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:43:18 »
When I tried drawing spirals in Paint as a test, they were a lot more accurate and fluid when acceleration was off than with the "enhance pointer precision" being turned on.  So I figured that was a good indicator.  But it's definitely more difficult to focus on tabs and links to click, as I keep moving just past them.  I don't think there's any specific software for this, as my mouse is pretty old (MX518).

Actually it seems like the current Logitech Gaming Software supports the MX518, but I'm not sure if it will let you tweak the accel. Currently I only have my G600 plugged in, and with that I just have a checkbox to toggle it on or off, I can't tweak it :/

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #919 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 17:45:04 »
That's good to know.  This mouse has been on a "to be replaced" status for ages now, and hopefully it will actually be replaced soon.  In which case I'll play around with my new mouse carefully.  Just thought it'd be interesting to get used to not using acceleration in Windows to see the difference.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #920 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 21:57:32 »
I always keep that off. The MX518 is a legend of a mouse, I have one as well. Been going strong for 10 years or so. The sweet spot for me is the DPI speed, I usually have it set at 4000 on my Lachesis, 4200 on my RAT 7 and of course, 1800 on the MX518, which is the max speed.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #921 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 21:59:40 »
I actually had it set to second-to-highest DPI setting from the beginning but with Windows acceleration on and sensitivity slider right in the middle (6/11).  Now without acceleration, I had to bump up to the highest DPI to stay at the 6/11 sensitivity setting.  Still feels weird, but it's slowly growing on me.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #922 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 22:13:00 »
I actually had it set to second-to-highest DPI setting from the beginning but with Windows acceleration on and sensitivity slider right in the middle (6/11).  Now without acceleration, I had to bump up to the highest DPI to stay at the 6/11 sensitivity setting.  Still feels weird, but it's slowly growing on me.

The MX518 sensor still has prediction/angle snapping though.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #923 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 22:23:36 »
I'm not seeing it in MS paint, drawing straight lines and spirals.  Maybe very slight angle-snapping.  I never installed any logitech software, however, just plug-and-play.

41634-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 October 2013, 22:25:51 by Photoelectric »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #924 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 06:03:23 »
I'm not seeing it in MS paint, drawing straight lines and spirals.  Maybe very slight angle-snapping.  I never installed any logitech software, however, just plug-and-play.

(Attachment Link)

The snapping is in the sensor itself, not in any software.
And yeah, looking at your lines there's clearly angle snapping.

Although again, it's not something that's inherently bad, the bad part is that you can't control it.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #925 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 13:44:18 »
This is with acceleration turned on--a lot less control (thought you probably can't tell by those spirals, but I can tell drawing them) and looks like prediction for straight lines

41745-0

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #926 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 15:05:12 »
Got 3 new mice:

Ozone Radon Opto: Hideous bloody thing. Awful shape (I suppose it was designed to be only Palm but failed horribly at it), crap side buttons, low quality plastic and some terrible software. The only good thing about it is its sensor, AVAGO 3090. 4/10

Razer Naga Molden: A rather "love it or hate it" shape, but somehow it really does fits nice on my hand, but I see why Razer modified its shape on the 2014 Edition. Anyways, software isn't even 1/10 as good as the marketing and its fanboys say, having a numpad is really interesting for playing MMORPG games, but somehow I just don't find it all that nice for FPS. Plus, its sensor is a bit weird, a few times the mouse just moved itself up while shaking after I made some movements... 7/10.

Still haven't used the CM Storm Spawn much, but I've really liked its external components and internals... Best scroll of them by far, awesome shape (though I do admit that not everyone likes that ring-finger rest on its right side), bad software and the side buttons would be far better were they not so short, but it's still good. 8.5/10.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #927 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 00:18:47 »
Well... after having tried a bunch of different mice: G400, G700s, G9x, Razer Deathadder, Razer Taipan, Razer Imperator, Razer Abyssus, Razer Lachesis, Steel Series Sensei, and Mionix Avior (which came out just recently)...

I'm going to have to pick the Razer Taipan as my favorite (of course, this is just my personal favorite; everyone's opinions are different). Now, is it the PERFECT mouse? No. There is obviously potential for a better mouse to come out in the future, but for now, the Taipan is my personal favorite.

To me, the shape is the most important thing, and I just really, really like the Taipan's slim and narrow shape. It just feels better to me to have that narrow form factor, while I'm gaming and moving the mouse all over the pad, than having a bigger, filled-out mouse like the Deathadder (although the Deathadder comes a close 2nd or 3rd among my list of mice). The narrower, and slim form factor allows me to change, and have flexibility over, my grip while the mouse is moving.

With something bigger like the Deathadder, and the worst, the G9x (with its fatter grip), I'm kind of always forced to have one specific grip the entire time I hold the mouse. Luckily, the Deathadder has nice curves so it doesn't cause much fatigue, but with something like the G9x (with fat grip), my grip just gets tired and worn out over time. In fact, fatigue and getting worn out seems to be a theme for me (although it may be different with other people) with all the Logitech mice, such as the G700s and G400.

Which is unfortunate, because Logitech has made amazingly comfortable mice before, such as the M500. It is still in production, but it unfortunately doesn't have DPI adjustment, which is why I don't use it.

That said, yes, I understand the Taipan has that laser sensor with hardware acceleration built-in, but... I've always secretly believed it really isn't that big of a deal. I see pros use mice with the laser hardware-accel sensor all the time, such as the Sensei and the G9x, so I have to assume it really isn't that big of a deal. I really won't make judgments against the acceleration built into the sensor, until I really see and feel the affects of it in-game. But to this day, I haven't yet, so it's not something I'm going to consciously avoid.

Also, I do think the dual sensor system used by Razer for the Taipan mouse makes the mouse movement a little smoother for a laser mouse (this has nothing to do with acceleration; I'm just mentioning the smoothness in this paragraph). As I understand it, optical sensors and laser sensors inherently feel different on screen, but for some reason the Razer Taipan's laser sensor seems smoother than other mice that use the same laser 8200 DPI sensor, such as the G700s, Steel Series Sensei MLG Edition, and the Mionix Avior 8200. I just used the Mionix Avior a week ago, and I immediately noticed the difference when I switched over to the Taipan.

Again, this probably doesn't have anything to do with the acceleration, but when talking about the overall smoothness of the cursor movement on the screen. The Taipan seemed to be smoother compared to other mice using the same laser 8200 DPI sensor, and I think it has something to do with the dual sensor system by Razer. IIRC, the dual sensor system employs an optical sensor in conjunction with the 8200 DPI laser sensor, and I think that is somehow helping smooth out the movement.

That's it for my opinions on the Taipan for now. If there had to be a perfect mouse for me, it would have a shape similar to that of the Taipan, but more "ergonomic". It would have to be just as narrow and slim, but also have curves at the same time for comfort. So, maybe something like a hybrid of the Deathadder and the Taipan.

Interestingly, the M500 by Logitech comes really close to that shape. All Logitech would need to do is add a DPI adjustment to that mouse, and they would have a pretty decent mouse on their hands to sell to the public. But, no... it seems they are only interested in making mice with wonky shapes (G9x, G700s) to mark-up and overprice as "specialty gaming mice". Then again, you could say that about every other "gaming" mouse manufacturer out there, including Steel Series, Razer, and Mionix.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 00:23:01 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #928 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 01:31:25 »
Logitech M510 Fits in my hand perfect and works flawlessly. But Id like something just a tad longer.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #929 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 02:17:53 »
Logitech M510 Fits in my hand perfect and works flawlessly. But Id like something just a tad longer.

That's what she said.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #930 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 02:20:22 »

That's what she said.

:)) :)) :)) :))

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #931 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 07:38:34 »
snip

Actually, despite all their other flaws, twin-eye sensors don't have acceleration.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #932 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 07:47:34 »
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #933 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:43:34 »
snip

Actually, despite all their other flaws, twin-eye sensors don't have acceleration.

If I'm understanding things correctly, though, the dual sensor system Razer uses for their Taipan doesn't actually use the PTE, and instead uses one of the Avago 8200 DPI laser sensors (http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/razer-taipan-ambidextrous-gaming-mouse-review/11658/3/). Hence, my comparison with other mice that use the Avago laser sensor (G700s, Sensei MLG Edition, and Mionix Avior 8200), and the comments about acceleration.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:49:10 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #934 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:49:01 »
snip

If I'm understanding things correctly, though, the dual sensor system Razer uses for their Taipan doesn't actually use the PTE, and instead uses one of the Avago 8200 DPI laser sensors. Hence, my comparison with other mice that use the Avago laser sensor, and the comments about acceleration.

Yeah, I'm a bit unsure about the newer dual-sensor systems, but what the PTE is is basically an optical and a laser sensor from what I understand, so I assume that it is possible to use more than just one model of laser sensor for dual systems(if the original PTE used an Avago laser, and not some other model).

I'm not 100% sure how Razer's new system works, I just assumed they fiddled with a PTE system. It could have accel, although I can't say for sure since I can't say I notice the accel inherent in the laser sensors.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #935 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:51:31 »
Nope. I think you have the two things confused. The dual sensor system used in the Taipan is completely, 100% different than the PTE, which is the Philips Twin-Eye sensor. The laser sensor used in the Taipan is from Avago. I think you may think they are the same because of the "dual" in their monikers, but they are different. Check the link I posted above (http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/razer-taipan-ambidextrous-gaming-mouse-review/11658/3/), and here: http://www.esreality.com/wiki/Hardware:Mice_Sensors
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:53:32 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #936 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 12:00:04 »
Nope. I think you have the two things confused. The dual sensor system used in the Taipan is completely, 100% different than the PTE, which is the Philips Twin-Eye sensor. The laser sensor used in the Taipan is from Avago. I think you may think they are the same because of the "dual" in their monikers, but they are different. Check the link I posted above (http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/razer-taipan-ambidextrous-gaming-mouse-review/11658/3/), and here: http://www.esreality.com/wiki/Hardware:Mice_Sensors
Ah, I just assumed that the PTE combined a normal laser and optical sensor in some weird way, and that what Razer did was just move the sensors around, but a quick read-up on what the PTE actually does did help to clear things up.

Seems like Razer's current dual sensor system is just there for surface calibration and lift-off distance, although personally I've found the surface calibration to cause trouble for no noticeable benefit, and you don't need two sensors to adjust lift-off distance. But hey, marketing.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #937 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 12:07:41 »
Yea... I also do think the pad calibration is unnecessary, and I have certainly seen LOD adjustment features on single sensor mice (Mionix Avior/Sensei)...

But I do think the dual sensor system in the Taipan does help a bit with the smoothness, though. As mentioned in that long post about the Taipan, even though the Taipan uses a variant of the Avago sensor used in other mice, such as the G700s, Sensei MLG Edition, and the Mionix Avior 8200, it is significantly smoother. So I have to assume it's the dual sensor system helping with the smoothness... but, I can't be for sure.

That said, yea, it still inherits the acceleration of all Avago laser sensors, unfortunately.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #938 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 12:49:15 »
Yea... I also do think the pad calibration is unnecessary, and I have certainly seen LOD adjustment features on single sensor mice (Mionix Avior/Sensei)...

But I do think the dual sensor system in the Taipan does help a bit with the smoothness, though. As mentioned in that long post about the Taipan, even though the Taipan uses a variant of the Avago sensor used in other mice, such as the G700s, Sensei MLG Edition, and the Mionix Avior 8200, it is significantly smoother. So I have to assume it's the dual sensor system helping with the smoothness... but, I can't be for sure.

That said, yea, it still inherits the acceleration of all Avago laser sensors, unfortunately.

Huh, you might be right, the only mouse I have that uses the new dual sensor system is the Ouroboros, but that's so riddled with issues that the tracking wasn't something I paid much attention to.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #939 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 22:28:39 »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #940 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 01:00:55 »
Yea... so... do people remember the long write-up I had about the Taipan? Well, just a couple of days ago the sensor completely died. This was within two weeks of purchasing it. This is the third Taipan I've ran into quality control issues with - yes, I should known better after the last two failures, but I figured the quality control couldn't be THAT bad. Well, I don't know how I feel about the Taipan, now. I didn't get a replacement, that's for sure.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #941 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 01:31:26 »
Well, just a couple of days ago the sensor completely died. This was within two weeks of purchasing it. This is the third Taipan I've ran into quality control issues with - yes, I should known better after the last two failures, but I figured the quality control couldn't be THAT bad.

Yes, we have all been there with Razer.  In the end better to go elsewhere and find something better (which is easier to do now).  I just gave up on any Razer product because they're the worst exponents in ultra poor quality control, yet will not change their behaviour.  Maybe in the US if there was a Class-action law suit they may change their shoddy disgust towards customers but it looks like it's the same old thing occurring again and again.

Besides there are heaps of other manufacturers that have superb design and quality compared to Razer.  Only difference with them they don't pour money into cheap propaganda to promote their rubbish, like what Razer spends.

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #942 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 01:25:22 »
My mouse purchasing addiction precedes my keyboard addiction.

I have more than I care to admit, and the current top choice is:

#1 Steelseries KanaV2
#2 Razer Deathadder 3.5g
#3 Scorpion - Zealot jr

All optical with outstanding performance.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown with Ducky thick PBT white/grey

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #943 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 01:47:54 »

#3 Scorpion - Zealot jr

My cousin has a TEAM Scorpion Zealot Gaming laser mouse and he loves it.  Have yet to see it so I can't compare quality to anything made by Logitech or Razer (although no one can make anything worse than what Razer can).

Nice to see a no-name company kicking the big-fat, lazy arses of large corporations when it comes to input products  :thumb: .

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #944 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 03:13:58 »

#3 Scorpion - Zealot jr

My cousin has a TEAM Scorpion Zealot Gaming laser mouse and he loves it.  Have yet to see it so I can't compare quality to anything made by Logitech or Razer (although no one can make anything worse than what Razer can).

Nice to see a no-name company kicking the big-fat, lazy arses of large corporations when it comes to input products  :thumb: .

The "senior" model has a rather subpar sensor in it unfortunately. The 3090 in the Zealot Jr is 90% of the reason it's on my list.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown with Ducky thick PBT white/grey

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #945 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 03:47:40 »
The "senior" model has a rather subpar sensor in it unfortunately. The 3090 in the Zealot Jr is 90% of the reason it's on my list.

Yeah the lamented Avago 9500 series.  Still it never stopped the G9x from gaining top cudos from all the so-called professionals on the web, go figure  ;) .

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #946 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 03:48:21 »
Abyssus, I've been through a lot of mice and this one is just the one for me
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #947 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 05:37:48 »

Yeah the lamented Avago 9500 series.  Still it never stopped the G9x from gaining top cudos from all the so-called professionals on the web, go figure  ;) .

Just shows how little the sensor actually matters, although the 9500 has never been a problematic sensor with the exception of the Naos 5k, so "lamented" isn't really the right word to use. It has been well implemented for the most part, the inherent accel is really irrelevant for the uses of the majority of the market.
Shape is #1 factor in a mouse, if the shape doesn't suit you then how good the sensor is matters ****-all, but on the flip-side; if the shape is just right, then sensor is largely irrelevant(just look at the RAT7 for instance. Half-assed implementation of a shoddy sensor, and yet it has some of the most dedicated owners I've seen).

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #948 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 06:21:32 »
Half-assed implementation of a shoddy sensor, and yet it has some of the most dedicated owners I've seen).

Yeah, I ended up ordering a RAT-3, so soon as it comes in I'll see what all the fuss is about.  Just a weird looking rodent that reminds me of a splattered rat, with it's guts hanging out - so neat  :thumb: .

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #949 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 06:26:56 »
Half-assed implementation of a shoddy sensor, and yet it has some of the most dedicated owners I've seen).

Yeah, I ended up ordering a RAT-3, so soon as it comes in I'll see what all the fuss is about.  Just a weird looking rodent that reminds me of a splattered rat, with it's guts hanging out - so neat  :thumb: .

The 3 is somewhat lacking. While you can adjust the palm rest, you don't get the option to swap any of the bits, although you do get a sensor that isn't terrible so there's that I guess. I couldn't replace my 7 with a 3 since it lacks quite a bit of what I love about the 7 though.