Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Launches June 4th 2019 on Drop.com  (Read 295580 times)

Offline Krakyn

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 06:22:54 »
I've been waiting for this set for a while. It's a shame I'll have to wait a little longer still (late Q2 2019). In for a Monochrome Base kit!

Have you considered designing/producing a deskpad?

Offline Gati

« Reply #201 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 06:30:55 »
I am now pondering how to solve the 'Monochrome Mods separate pls'-issue. If I counted correctly, that would be a 38 key kit, which is pretty good. More people being merged into the Git Base Kit could also lead to another price break of that, which could be 10-20$. So at higher MOQ's, I could see the Git Base being 119$ or even 109$, and with Monochrome Modifiers on their own for 60$ or so be a solid 180$ish price. My main beef with this however remains that you won't be able to buy just Monochrome Modifiers + Hagoromo Alphas, as you would have to buy the Git Base just for the TKL nav keys (arrows, del/insert/pgup/pgdn/function row etc).
Idk how realistic this seems but would it be cheaper to merge monochrome modifiers + horogomo alphas instead of making it separate kits? I’m curious to see if there’s an overlap...

Edit: since this is running through Massdrop there shouldn’t be issues hitting MOQ on those (hopefully)
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 06:32:31 by Gati »

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #202 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 06:34:17 »
Yes please!  I'll definately be in for a base kit.

I know you said that the "Git Gud" key was not included because it would cost alot more to get the molds created, but would you consider to add that as a "Git Gud" kit like how GMK Carbon did for the Salt kit?  Have multiple color options for "Git Gud" as a separate kit.  The salt kit was one of the 3 kits that met MOQ so I feel like if a Git Gud kit could make MOQ as well.

I need a way to tell my friends to "Git Gud".

There are other kits I'd rather introduce over a meme kit, such as VIM or tenkeyless.asm. I haven't written it off completely, just not sure yet if pricing allows for it.

Oh no, why Massdrop, cool set anyhow

Because they do great GB's in my opinion. You get low prices due to wide exposure, if something is wrong, they will refund you or send out a replacement - speaking from personal experience. I really like working with various proxies around the world, and I will continue to create sets with them in the future. But for the bigger projects, I am going with Massdrop as I have more creative freedom there due to the higher volumes.

Could you elaborate what that would be for? It's always easier to listen to suggestions when we know what the purpose of that change is.

It was for a few of the boardwalk layouts in my case, so I understand how incredibly unlikely of a request it is.

Yeah, as far as I understand, the default Boardwalk layout is covered with Assembly and Spacekeys.

4 pages already. I thought it was a dead post lol

IC canceled, trying again 2020.

This is probably already too far in development, but would you be able to somehow separate git mods, for Round 1-ers so they dont have to buy an extra set?

Ah well, that's just how the way things are. Money will be spent... Again. Thanks Oblotzky.

- Happy owner of R1 GMK Oblivion, SA Oblivion, GMK Space Cadet, and was almost tempted to get calm depths.

I don't want to put Git Mods out on their own, with tooling cost they would start at 99$ for 100 units or so, while the full base kit will cost 119$ most likely at 500 units. I don't want them to end up being super hard to get afterwards.

I was in the original GMK Oblivion group buy and to be honest I think that having the sets split between two different base kits was a big problem.

Neither set made MOQ on their own (I don't remember the exact final numbers) but were produced thanks to jchan filling in the difference. Obviously we don't want a GMK Carbon R2 situation either where there are just a *ton* of child kits, but wouldn't it be better to have a single base kit (probably the git version) and then have the monochrome mods as an additional kit?

In any case I'm glad to see this getting a re-run and I will be in for a base kit and Hagoromo kits.

Gray Base made MOQ by itself easily, while White Base was shy 30 units or so. It did need some pushing with updates and reddit posts, but in the end we achieved solid numbers before jchan picked up extras.

Is Crimson Cadet cancelled? :/ I was hoping for cc in q1

I don't see how you interpret this IC as all other projects of mine canceled  :confused:

I know Colevrak is a maybe at this point, but could you consider adding mod DH support please - the latest mt3 kit has the necessary keys - it's only a few more.

It's always cited as something that'll be hard to hit MOQ, but this might just be the most popular GMK set we've had in a while, if not now, then when?

I'd buy at least 2 sets if it's offered.

I don't see it as wise to add a niche on what is already a niche of a niche.

What are the 1.75u blanks for in the Assembly kit? Seems like you could probably replace those with extra 1.5u and 1.25u R3 keys for full Pearl and pretty much any other 40s compat.

Split spacebars, various 40% layouts use em.

I've been waiting for this set for a while. It's a shame I'll have to wait a little longer still (late Q2 2019). In for a Monochrome Base kit!

Have you considered designing/producing a deskpad?

I am working on various collabs. Stay tuned.

Offline avid

« Reply #203 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 06:39:27 »
So now ISO users have to buy a $60 kit for basic compatability? I'm a ISO user myself, but usually never buy the norde kit because the prices are always outrageous.

ISO only need 4 keycaps: r3, r4, 1.25 shift and ISO enter. Why not just include those four keys and have colored/extra ISO keys in the nordekit?

If you still feel the need to cut down on cost on base here is a few suggestion (to fit x4 ISO compatability)
-blue ansi enter
-1.75 function key
-1.5 super/meta
-1u meta
-1u hyper
-blue numpad enter/esc

Same with white alphas, to make it work with ISO we just need the r3/r4 key.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #204 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 06:49:43 »
I know the Assembly kit is, well, assembly, but I feel like it would be apropos here to slap the Git mods into the Assembly kit, in lieu of the assembly instructions.

Normally you have debate over which key is Shift, Ctrl, Fn, etc... but in this run, they're all novelties anyway. I assume we can expect many more Assembly kits from you, but this will be one of the few sets that already has a programming theme. No reason not to run with the existing theme, IMO. If you really want to use different legends, there is plenty of Git functionality left to decorate keys with (cherry-pick, rebase, reflog, etc.) -- but I assume reusing custom legends from the Git kit can cut the cost down even further on the Assembly kit.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #205 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:04:37 »
I know the Assembly kit is, well, assembly, but I feel like it would be apropos here to slap the Git mods into the Assembly kit, in lieu of the assembly instructions.

Normally you have debate over which key is Shift, Ctrl, Fn, etc... but in this run, they're all novelties anyway. I assume we can expect many more Assembly kits from you, but this will be one of the few sets that already has a programming theme. No reason not to run with the existing theme, IMO. If you really want to use different legends, there is plenty of Git functionality left to decorate keys with (cherry-pick, rebase, reflog, etc.) -- but I assume reusing custom legends from the Git kit can cut the cost down even further on the Assembly kit.

Existing legend plates (tooling) can only be used across the same key size. Additionally, 1u keys fit 5 letters at most, making it impossible to fill that many keys with various legends, and dropping many important ones in the process due to their length. Thirdly, Assembly legends have already been made so there is no extra tooling cost. I'd have to go back to zero pretty much, have two kits like in Space Cadet.

Also, "but this will be one of the few sets that already has a programming theme. No reason not to run with the existing theme, IMO." - I fail to see how Assembly Instructions are NOT fit for a programming themed set?
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:18:21 by Oblotzky »

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #206 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:11:17 »

Existing legend plates (tooling) can only be used across the same key size. Additionally, 1u keys fit 5 letters at most, making it impossible to fill that many keys with various legends, and dropping many important ones in the process due to their length. Thirdly, Assembly legends have already been made so there is no extra tooling cost. I'd have to go back to zero pretty much, have two kits like in Space Cadet.

Makes sense, thanks for taking a look.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:33:16 »
Sorry to double post

ne minivan support :(

I know Minivan is kind of a meme (and some people here have personal grievances against Evan), but Assembly is a single 1.75u R2 key short of supporting what is probably the 2nd most popular sub-60% keyboard (after the Planck). You can even advertise it on Massdrop as having full Minivan support (without having to buy a base kit), which I think could attract at least a few potential new buyers.

Furthermore, having that key in existence in a popular set opens up keyboard design in general to additional options. A 1.75u R2 key could be useful in a Katana60-like board, for instance, or even something with a layout like EM7/Alice.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:35:50 by tex_live_utility »

Offline Fabi

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:40:26 »

... but Assembly is a single 1.75u R2 key short of supporting what is probably the 2nd most popular sub-60% keyboard (after the Planck).

Would also very ... very much like a second 1.75u R2 key :)

Really ...

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #209 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:44:21 »
From reading through the comments, it's great to hear that you are focusing on keeping costs down for those of us new to V2. With that being said, I think that it allows those of us wanting specialty sets a bit more wiggle room to pick them up. If you can make it happen, definitely in for Colevrak and VIM kits.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:46:01 by D3LTA »

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #210 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:47:36 »
Any thought about consolidating haragomo alphas into mono mods and make that the mono base kit? This case we have 2 completely different base kits (and not just the different mods like what we are having now). People who want just haragomo alphas sure will end up paying a little bit extra, but they also get some brand new mono mods. People who want both git mods and mono mods will then have an extra kit of haragomo alphas, instead of a duplicate gray alphas kit. Kind of a win-win for me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:49:35 by otanishock »

Offline omjak

« Reply #211 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:51:55 »
In for a kit, possibly two, depending how it's structured. (Definitely in for Git Base Kit)

I'm also in support of bringing back the colored standard modifiers (Oblivion modifiers), whether part of the 2nd base kit or its own separate kit; partly because the color scheme is so unbelievably pleasing to the eyes, while the Monochromes are... shall we say, bland in comparison.  Also I would imagine the Oblivion modifiers (colored standard mods) ought to be more universally appealing to more users (as opposed to Git), since everyone types, but not everyone codes. 

If we were to extrapolate data from SA Oblivion sales chart (from massdrop,) the Oblivion mods were almost 1.5 times more popular than Git mods, and almost twice as popular than Monochrome mods. Overall the "colored" mods (Oblivion and Git together) were almost 3 times more popular than Monochromes.  Where as Git mods only marginally surpassed Monochromes despite Git's lower price.  (Monochrome mods don't stand out that much, lose the essence of the oblivion color scheme, and depending on how they're paired with the alphas, they end up looking similar to other sets (ie. Modern Dolch or Honeywell.))  The Git mods look really awesome, and happy with the main Git base kit.

While the SA Oblivion alphas were about 1.5 times more popular than SA Hagoromo alphas, the SA Hagoromo still sold a very decent volume, suggesting a healthy demand; and I think it should continue to be included at least as its own kit (or part of 2nd base, if 2 base kits end up being offered.)  The R1 GMK Oblivion Hagoromo looked absolutely stunning! 

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #212 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 07:57:14 »
With that, I also felt comfortable merging the ISO parts of the Base Kit into the NorDeUK kit, as there's now just 3 ISO returns left instead of 4. This should also increase the likelihood of that kit happening, as people can't cheap out for physical ISO support via the Base Kits now. It's all or nothing now, with less burden on the ANSI folks.

Oh snap, that's a pretty big move. If I were an ISO user I'd find the nearest Norde person to split the cost and work out shipping with each other. And vice versa. Or just straight up sell what I don't need on mechmarket.

My main beef with this however remains that you won't be able to buy just Monochrome Modifiers + Hagoromo Alphas, as you would have to buy the Git Base just for the TKL nav keys (arrows, del/insert/pgup/pgdn/function row etc).

Ah, dang that's right. Just like people wanting just Blocknet and Gaijin or Hiragana. To get the extra TKL keys you needed a base kit. At least arrows (accents) could be had through the Laser novelties.

Any thought about consolidating haragomo alphas into mono mods and make that the mono base kit? This case we have 2 completely different base kits (and not just the different mods like what we are having now). People who want just haragomo alphas sure will end up paying a little bit extra, but they also get some brand new mono mods. People who want both git mods and mono mods will then have an extra kit of haragomo alphas, instead of a duplicate gray alphas kit. Kind of a win-win for me.

I like this for myself, but the idea of spending $218-$270 just to get hagoromo alphas with git mods is probably a little off-putting for anyone that doesn't care for monochrome.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:04:49 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline Mello

« Reply #213 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:02:00 »
Count me in for Oblivion (:

Offline orim23

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:03:33 »
In for a kit, possibly two.

Would love to see colored standard mods on the "monochrome base kit"!

Offline typischt

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:04:25 »
I know the chances are pretty much zero for this, but I still wanted to mention it: I‘d really like to see the macro.asm set that was in the SA drop (mainly for my TC-V3 but also because they are nice placeholders for unusual layouts).

About moving basic ISO completely to the NorDeUK kit: While I‘d much rather have it in the main set (since most of the time I‘m ok with just UK ISO), I can understand the decision and I think it makes sense. But that would mean, that if the NorDeUK set doesn‘t hit MOQ, there wouldn‘t be any ISO support at all (not even basic UK), right?

Looking forward to this set!

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #216 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:09:06 »
I know the chances are pretty much zero for this, but I still wanted to mention it: I‘d really like to see the macro.asm set that was in the SA drop (mainly for my TC-V3 but also because they are nice placeholders for unusual layouts).

About moving basic ISO completely to the NorDeUK kit: While I‘d much rather have it in the main set (since most of the time I‘m ok with just UK ISO), I can understand the decision and I think it makes sense. But that would mean, that if the NorDeUK set doesn‘t hit MOQ, there wouldn‘t be any ISO support at all (not even basic UK), right?

Looking forward to this set!

When it's a MD drop I am confident the Nordeuk kit will come to life.. I like we get a bonus with the dif ISO enters, cadet support, Git support. This is a killer Nordeuk kit.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #217 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:09:43 »

I like this for myself, but the idea of spending $218-$270 just to get hagoromo alphas with git mods is probably a little off-putting for anyone that doesn't care for monochrome.

Right, but if you think about it, Haragomo alphas as a standalone kit would be in the neighborhood of $80 to $90 whereas a base kit is around $130 to $140. You're only spending about $50 more but you get a full set of fresh, brand new mono mods. That alone is worth a lot more than $50.

Offline thearctican

« Reply #218 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:19:49 »

Right, but if you think about it, Haragomo alphas as a standalone kit would be in the neighborhood of $80 to $90 whereas a base kit is around $130 to $140. You're only spending about $50 more but you get a full set of fresh, brand new mono mods. That alone is worth a lot more than $50.
I managed to grab hagoromo as the full kit on V1. If the price is low enough, I'd go for it again, but the grey alphas look better having owned both.

I guess I'll be getting my 3rd and maybe 4th sets of Oblivion!

Edit: Hooray for mobile formatting.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:35:54 by thearctican »

Offline mimalik

« Reply #219 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:22:02 »
While we are still in IC state, if Git Base mods alone option is no go how about another kit of git base with hagoromo alphas instead of grey? For lot of us who participated in SC, getting additional grey alphas is a redunduncy.
If cost is a issue in offering git base mods alone, and its cheaper to get whole set instead, I will prefer it with harogomo alphas. atleast there is variation and solves our probelm to buy basekit + harogomo alphas cost issue.

This will add nother kit to drop, but I doubt this will have same issues as Carbon R2 as its cost prevented few to join the drop due to R0 and R5 keys.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:24:19 »
I removed the red accents from Monochrome Base Kit. They were overlapping with GMK Honeywell too much.

Awe, man :( but Honeywell has a completely different alpha color

Great news that you're considering a monochrome mod set though ^_^
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:33:39 by Ensaum »

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:34:41 »
Smol update. Mainly, I removed the red accents from Monochrome Base Kit. They were overlapping with GMK Honeywell too much.

Any chance of adding the custom beige colour keys with dark grey legends as extra modifiers, then?

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:44:32 »

I think it comes down to the wants of the "typical" Round 2 buyer. $200 for base kit + hagoromo alphas is like originative after taxes and shipping prices; a price that is a deterrent to someone just wanting hagoromo alphas and git mods, but not unreasonable or unprecedented. Bumping that up to the $250 range for a monochrome kit is a great value for what you get, but I can see that extra cost being even more of a deterrent. I'm all for it though, since that is still a really nice value. I imagine selling off monochrome mods you don't need would be significantly more economical, considering jchan was charging, what? $90 for monochrome mods?

While we are still in IC state, if Git Base mods alone option is no go how about another kit of git base with hagoromo alphas instead of grey? For lot of us who participated in SC, getting additional grey alphas is a redunduncy.

I brought up Round 1 Oblivion earlier, so I imagine this rule probably extends to prior group buys like space cadet:

I must focus on having a smooth round 2 buy, and the best way to do that is ignore that round 1 exists.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:51:46 by fatpolomanjr »
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline hokietux

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 08:58:01 »
So should these kits end up in the GB, consider this your only chance to ever buy a GMK Oblivion set with Colevrak/NorDeUK support. Sorry if that sounds like a threat or so, but you are an endangered species. Thank you.

Just here to say that including a Colevrak kit means I will buy at least 2x full sets on my own.

Being in this hobby as a Colevrak user can be rough, and it can be pretty difficult to find kits. GBs that actually include Colevrak kits are pretty much automatic buys for me, now. Thanks for your consideration in offering a kit for us!   :D

Offline harlekein

« Reply #224 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 09:12:19 »
I don't see it as wise to add a niche on what is already a niche of a niche.

I get what you are saying but it would increase compatibility for a very small overhead if the kit makes it in the first place.

Offline BserLarry

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 09:33:49 »
In for a set!

May I suggest the removal of the numpad from the base kit into a separate kit?
I think that there are not many full sized keebs given the popularity of other form factors.
I think this would help to bring the cost down even if it’s just by a bit and attract more buyers and hence bump up the numbers which may result in higher tiers of price savings.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 09:36:45 »
In for a set!

I think that there are not many full sized keebs given the popularity of other form factors.
I think this would help to bring the cost down even if it’s just by a bit and attract more buyers and hence bump up the numbers which may result in higher tiers of price savings.

Terrible, horrible idea. Just because you don't use a full size keyboard, it doesn't mean others don't. Base kits should have enough compatibility to fill a full size keyboard, regardless of other form factors. It's called a base for a reason.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 10:00:07 »
In for a set!

You mustn't forget that this is not a Geekhack GB where 95% of people run a TKL or smaller. SA Oblivion had a ratio of about 1:3 for Numpad to respective Alpha color (957 Oblivion Alphas to 345 Oblivion Numpads). That's just as good of a ratio of specialties to regular modifiers, so you could argue the same for all the non-standard caps. I believe Numpad should remain in the Base Kit for GMK, as they strive from having big consolidated kits.

Regarding the whole 2nd base/separate mono mods issue, I will go over this many times and try to find the best solution. During that process, I will prioritize the average buyer, which I believe to be a person that wants to equip a single keyboard with one of the 4 possible colorways (Git + Oblivion Alphas, Git + Hagoromo Alphas, Monochrome + Oblivion Alphas or Monochrome + Hagoromo Alphas). People that want to go ham and equip 4 boards, while I applaud the enthusiasm and am very thankful for the commitment, are at the end of the day a minority. It's like the big lesson I learned from SA Green Screen. I offered a modifier kit inclusive of all specialties, but this turned away most customers as the price for just Alphas + Mods was almost 160$. This lead to way lower quantities overall and thus lower breakpoints. Had I split off the Specialties like it is usually done, we probably would have ended up with even cheaper prices for those that bought the equivalent of a GMK base kit, while at the same time the majority of people got it way cheaper had they only have to buy a Alpha + TKL kit for their WASD/Poker etc. And the same could happen here, yes those that want to pick up 3 colorways at once will be at a disadvantage, but due to more volume generated via affordable base kit this extra cost could be alleviated.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #228 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 10:04:06 »
Sorry for this silly question, but if I wanted to get a sort of generic 40% with split space support, would I be getting base + assembly + space bar kit?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 10:05:47 »
Sorry for this silly question, but if I wanted to get a sort of generic 40% with split space support, would I be getting base + assembly + space bar kit?

Just Assembly kit, no Base. The Assembly kit covers Ergodox, Planck/Preonic and a variety of 40% keyboards. The Spacekeys kit would be optional for those that prefer alpha colored spacekeys, but should not be fundamentally required to gain physical coverage.

Offline kolyz

« Reply #230 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 10:34:30 »
Personally, I think having the Hagomoro alphas in a separate kit works very well, but I am being biased. Myself, I plan on using the keycaps on 1 keyboard, I will buy the git base kit and hagomoro alphas so that I can swap the alphas once in a while.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #231 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 10:49:57 »
Personally, I think having the Hagomoro alphas in a separate kit works very well, but I am being biased. Myself, I plan on using the keycaps on 1 keyboard, I will buy the git base kit and hagomoro alphas so that I can swap the alphas once in a while.

There in lies the conundrum, for those of us who already have GMK Dolch and/or GMK Space Cadet (I am sure there are plenty of us out there), we already have grey alphas. I personally have both and already got 2 set of grey alphas and not looking for 3rd. As it appears that mods alone may or may not happen, and in that case if the additional base kit was offered with git base mods+hagoromo alphas it will make drop more attractive and easy on wallet, hence a plea for accommodation. Oblotzky gets to decide as there are other factors besides our want which impacts overall drop, but one can hope.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #232 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 11:22:11 »

... but Assembly is a single 1.75u R2 key short of supporting what is probably the 2nd most popular sub-60% keyboard (after the Planck).

Would also very ... very much like a second 1.75u R2 key :)

Really ...

Wait, what keyboard needs two of those??

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #233 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 11:44:48 »

There in lies the conundrum, for those of us who already have GMK Dolch and/or GMK Space Cadet (I am sure there are plenty of us out there), we already have grey alphas. I personally have both and already got 2 set of grey alphas and not looking for 3rd. As it appears that mods alone may or may not happen, and in that case if the additional base kit was offered with git base mods+hagoromo alphas it will make drop more attractive and easy on wallet, hence a plea for accommodation. Oblotzky gets to decide as there are other factors besides our want which impacts overall drop, but one can hope.

I am now pondering how to solve the 'Monochrome Mods separate pls'-issue. If I counted correctly, that would be a 38 key kit, which is pretty good. More people being merged into the Git Base Kit could also lead to another price break of that, which could be 10-20$. So at higher MOQ's, I could see the Git Base being 119$ or even 109$, and with Monochrome Modifiers on their own for 60$ or so be a solid 180$ish price. My main beef with this however remains that you won't be able to buy just Monochrome Modifiers + Hagoromo Alphas, as you would have to buy the Git Base just for the TKL nav keys (arrows, del/insert/pgup/pgdn/function row etc).

Regarding the whole 2nd base/separate mono mods issue, I will go over this many times and try to find the best solution. During that process, I will prioritize the average buyer, which I believe to be a person that wants to equip a single keyboard with one of the 4 possible colorways (Git + Oblivion Alphas, Git + Hagoromo Alphas, Monochrome + Oblivion Alphas or Monochrome + Hagoromo Alphas). People that want to go ham and equip 4 boards, while I applaud the enthusiasm and am very thankful for the commitment, are at the end of the day a minority. It's like the big lesson I learned from SA Green Screen. I offered a modifier kit inclusive of all specialties, but this turned away most customers as the price for just Alphas + Mods was almost 160$. This lead to way lower quantities overall and thus lower breakpoints. Had I split off the Specialties like it is usually done, we probably would have ended up with even cheaper prices for those that bought the equivalent of a GMK base kit, while at the same time the majority of people got it way cheaper had they only have to buy a Alpha + TKL kit for their WASD/Poker etc. And the same could happen here, yes those that want to pick up 3 colorways at once will be at a disadvantage, but due to more volume generated via affordable base kit this extra cost could be alleviated.

IF the solution ultimately becomes offering different smaller kits, I'd personally support having another TKL nav cluster included in the mod kit, or as a separate tiny kit.

If both bases have oblivion alphas, reselling the duplicate alphas seems difficult, since everyone will already have oblivion alphas (compounded by existing sets like SC, Modern Dolch, etc).
If the base kits had different alphas, reselling the unwanted parts (mods or alphas) seems easier, as you'd have a target market in the buyers for the other base kit.
However, I understand that the resell market might not be a primary concern here with something as big as Massdrop's customer pool.

And just to chime in on the discussion about git legends - I don't have anything to do with programming, nor was I expecting to like them, but I do find them charming and synergistic to the colored legends.  It also makes the mono mods more attractive and disctinctive imo as the "regular" mods. 

Offline Fabi

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 12:07:16 »
Wait, what keyboard needs two of those??

JD40 or JD45 ...

OK, technically they don't need it I guess. You could also have a 1.75u and a 2u or something. Maybe it's just my keyboard that needs it xD
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 12:10:33 by Fabi »

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #235 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 12:12:59 »
I personally like the current base kit setup because the way I see it it priorities people into the following groups. 1 and 2 are highest priority since the current base kit caters to their interest.

1. Oblivion Alphas + monochrome mods
2. Oblivion Alphas + chromatic git mods
3. Hagoromo alphas + monochrome/git mods (since you have to buy an extra alpha kit)
4. Anyone interested in multiple mods with 1 set of alphas
5. Any alphas + chromatic mods (non git)

This makes a lot of sense to me if that's the intended groups.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline hoctor

« Reply #237 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 12:49:30 »
100% in for the Monochrome Base Kit...possibly even Git Base Kit & Alphas to boot. Such great looking sets, can't wait. :D

Offline cooperred

« Reply #238 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 12:50:54 »
at last, the first custom keycap set I wanted since joining the keeb community! Words do not describe how excited I am for R2 of oblivion. 100% in on the monochrome set at the minimum

I'd also really like to have base mods with normal legends...

soooo the monochrome kit?

No, the base mods in different colors, but with regular legends rather than git commands.

Show Image

+1 for this please! (Base mods in different colors, regular (non-Git) legends)

Another vote for colored base mods!

+1

Offline trg1234

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 12:57:54 »
I don't know if I am in the minority or not, but one of the main reasons I like Oblivion was because of the colored git mods so the initial kit that oblotzky posted is exactly perfect for me.

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #240 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 13:05:36 »
Same. That’s the main appeal of the set for me.  I feel like there are other GMK monochrome options if all you want is black/white/gray

Offline temp0321

« Reply #241 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 13:07:17 »
I'm definitely in for Git Base, and I would also get hagoromo + monochrome mods if this becomes available.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #242 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 13:10:27 »
If funds allow, I'll be in for a monochrome set along with the white alphas and maybe cadet alphas
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline enrique.aliaga

[IC] GMK Oblivion V2
« Reply #243 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 13:28:29 »
I don't know if I am in the minority or not, but one of the main reasons I like Oblivion was because of the colored git mods so the initial kit that oblotzky posted is exactly perfect for me.

I second this. Base kit is pretty much perfect! Being GMK Oblivion based on the Oblivion color scheme for programmer text editors, the colourful Git legends make perfect sense. They really pop on the dark background, and is the most faithful representation of Oblivion on a keycap set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 13:37:00 by enrique.aliaga »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 13:31:56 »

I second this. Base kit is pretty much perfect! Being GMK Oblivion based on the Oblivion color scheme for programmer text editors, the colourful Git legends make perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, please keep everything as is shown in the original post!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 13:36:55 »
@Oblotzky You haven't replied to my question regarding adding R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn (extended 65% support) to the base kits. That's the only thing I would change.

It'd be best if you could straight up just add them to the kits, but if space is tight, maybe consider dropping R3 Code/Hyper in favor of R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn? The only staggered board that uses that key as far as I'm aware is Uniqey C70 (but that board also uses R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn in its default layout).
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 13:44:18 by constexpr »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 13:59:14 »
@Oblotzky You haven't replied to my question regarding adding R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn (extended 65% support) to the base kits. That's the only thing I would change.

It'd be best if you could straight up just add them to the kits, but if space is tight, maybe consider dropping R3 Code/Hyper in favor of R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn? The only staggered board that uses that key as far as I'm aware is Uniqey C70 (but that board also uses R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn in its default layout).

I have it on my checklist, decision still pending. I don't value default layouts too much when the PCB is programmable.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 14:06:40 »
I have it on my checklist, decision still pending. I don't value default layouts too much when the PCB is programmable.

Yeah, default layouts are hardly an argument, but the fact is that R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn are popular on 65%/75% boards, esp. those with split Backspace (people align Delete with Backspace, then have PgUp and PgDn below that). I think every third or fourth 65% I see uses those keys. I'd say they're more popular than split Num+, loosely speaking.

Thanks for considering it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 14:16:04 by constexpr »

Offline quaddepos

« Reply #248 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 14:12:52 »
When you just not wait on round 2 to drop  :p

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #249 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 14:22:06 »
I hope we can get the RED ISO Enter back in the Nordeuk kit  :confused: