Author Topic: [IC] MX Winkeyless and HHKB top plates(colors, materials)  (Read 26091 times)

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
Re: [IC] JD designed HHKB top plates MX or ALPS
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:37:04 »
If there were a source for 7u Costar stab wires, I would love to redesign the plate for 1.5/7u.

What are people in alps party who bought the hhkb plate doing for a stab wire? Is that the same layout?

I would also be interested in a plate.

More
I have a little wire bender ( some cheap one after seeing listers video on it ), I could maybe buy some wire and see if I could do some 7u costar? If anyone knows the thickness of the wire I could grab some and see if I can make some stab wires. Although I am not sure if I would want to bend a bunch on a little thing like that, may be a bit time consuming :P.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:48:53 by nickheller »

Offline E3E

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:40:31 »
E3E,

Those Alps plate designs in the OP have a 1.25/6.25 bottom row. Because 6.25 wires are the only ones I can get for Costar stabs. If there were a source for 7u Costar stab wires, I would love to redesign the plate for 1.5/7u.

Do you think there is any case for making the plate in 6u or 7u instead of 6.25u?

Oh, derp. I should've realized that with the spacing on the HHKB-styled plate, but I didn't notice the 1.25u spacing of the mods. Well, the only arguments I can pose for 7u is that most classic Alps boards have 7u wire, and while many have Alps stabs, I've seen quite a few with Costar stabilizers too. Barring that, I'd argue that the act of buying a plate and customizing a board is far enough into the realm of DIY territory for people to bend their own wire.

Should the plates instead have support for Alps stabs and wire as opposed to Costar? What's the idea behind using Costar? AFAIK (and I could be wrong here), the plates from the Alps Party GB used Alps stab mounts.

EDIT: I just realized though. The notches on the MX plate will work just fine for Alps. I know specs say that Alps plates are thinner than MX plates, but I've had no issues on the Infinity keyboard or in the 60% universal plates I've used with Alps.

Couldn't that just be a cover-all plate design, since it uses costar as well? Er, wait... those slots are a little wider. That might be Cherry then. :-X Jeez, sorry for the ramble in anycase.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 December 2015, 10:47:49 by E3E »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:12:19 »
E3E,

Those Alps plate designs in the OP have a 1.25/6.25 bottom row. Because 6.25 wires are the only ones I can get for Costar stabs. If there were a source for 7u Costar stab wires, I would love to redesign the plate for 1.5/7u.

Do you think there is any case for making the plate in 6u or 7u instead of 6.25u?

Oh, derp. I should've realized that with the spacing on the HHKB-styled plate, but I didn't notice the 1.25u spacing of the mods. Well, the only arguments I can pose for 7u is that most classic Alps boards have 7u wire, and while many have Alps stabs, I've seen quite a few with Costar stabilizers too. Barring that, I'd argue that the act of buying a plate and customizing a board is far enough into the realm of DIY territory for people to bend their own wire.

Should the plates instead have support for Alps stabs and wire as opposed to Costar? What's the idea behind using Costar? AFAIK (and I could be wrong here), the plates from the Alps Party GB used Alps stab mounts.

EDIT: I just realized though. The notches on the MX plate will work just fine for Alps. I know specs say that Alps plates are thinner than MX plates, but I've had no issues on the Infinity keyboard or in the 60% universal plates I've used with Alps.

Couldn't that just be a cover-all plate design, since it uses costar as well? Er, wait... those slots are a little wider. That might be Cherry then. :-X Jeez, sorry for the ramble in anycase.

Yeah, the MX plate would have Alps compatibility, if I redesigned the stabilizer holes to use plate mount instead of PCB mount stabs.

The Alps Party stabs were regular Alps stab holes, and stabs were sourced from Matias. I guess I should wait until I get those to decide what to do about the stabs on this one? I went with 6.25 initially, because spacebars from AT101Ws and even new keycap sets like those Tai Hao from MD include 6.25, while 7u might be harder to source. And again, the new caps use Cherry-style stab mounts, which is why I went with the Costar-style holes.

Alps is confusing, but fun.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline E3E

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:30:01 »
E3E,

Yeah, the MX plate would have Alps compatibility, if I redesigned the stabilizer holes to use plate mount instead of PCB mount stabs.

The Alps Party stabs were regular Alps stab holes, and stabs were sourced from Matias. I guess I should wait until I get those to decide what to do about the stabs on this one? I went with 6.25 initially, because spacebars from AT101Ws and even new keycap sets like those Tai Hao from MD include 6.25, while 7u might be harder to source. And again, the new caps use Cherry-style stab mounts, which is why I went with the Costar-style holes.

I'm not sure if people would be happy using plate mount stabs for Cherry switches. It seems that PCB is usually preferred, but is that just because of universal layouts or is there a significant difference otherwise?

I'm down for a plate that can take both Alps and Cherry switches + Costar and Cherry stabs. :) Yeah, I think waiting might be a good idea to see how the plates from Alps party turn out. If the dedicated Alps plates do get made though, I don't see much of an issue with using Alps stab mounting. The Alps party buy was very successful, so I think having similar plates available would sell well!

Does the AT101W use costar instead of Alps like the original AT101s? The nice thing about the Cherry stab mounts is that old Alps stabs can STILL be used with them, but that will either require some custom bent wire or the Matias stab wire that's supposed to work for both Alps and Costar (I think?)

Alps boards tend to have huge identity crises, from a plethora of different switch types in ONE model (lookin' at you Chicony 5161), to some boards using costar (with MX stab mount stems on the caps), some using alps w/ those cylindrical peg stabilizers, and some even using actual cherry stabs back in the day (my FAME straight up uses plate mount cherry stabs for the 7u space bar).

A very strange thing I've noticed is the stem spacing for 7u bars. DCS and vintage Alps 7u bars seem to have the same spacing, but Cherry-profile caps have a wider spacing. I ran into this issue a few times, but the first was on my FAME. I tried replacing the wire for an extra 7u wire I had and found that it was too long, while 6.25u was too short.

For my Duck build, the 7u space bars I originally tried (sourced from costar Alps boards) did not line up properly with the stabilizers, so I had to sacrifice some Cherry profile space bars to get that to work.

Anyway, this is a little irrelevant to the plates, sorry!

« Last Edit: Mon, 07 December 2015, 11:32:52 by E3E »

Offline axtran

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 12:42:01 »
I'm in for a plate as long as it is compatible with the lovely hasu Alps PCB. :)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 12:46:48 »
Yeah, it's probably best to hold off on the "blank corner" Alps plate for now. The full bottom row one is still good, for those who want basically a "Infinity Standard" layout (as opposed to the other Infinity design, the "HHKB3").
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline E3E

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 12:51:58 »
Yeah, it's probably best to hold off on the "blank corner" Alps plate for now. The full bottom row one is still good, for those who want basically a "Infinity Standard" layout (as opposed to the other Infinity design, the "HHKB3").

Erring on the side of caution is always a good route to take until something is more proven.  :thumb:

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 12:57:14 »
Why isn't this live yet?

Factory packed with orders until Christmas. My personal GB ++.

After my GB is done, i want to do a super fast 1 week order time GB for these.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 13:55:26 »
How about a pre-order before your one-week order GB?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 13:58:28 »
How about a pre-order before your one-week order GB?

That is an option, however if i get more orders than i ordered first + money

Offline U47

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 00:41:24 »

I think those of us in on Alps Party daring to attempt Proper™ HHKBs with 6-U space are just grinning, bearing, and bending our own (from what we get from the Matias pack).

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 16:13:28 »

I think those of us in on Alps Party daring to attempt Proper™ HHKBs with 6-U space are just grinning, bearing, and bending our own (from what we get from the Matias pack).

Yep not looking forward to this part of the build very much

Offline E3E

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 16:48:00 »

Oh, you'll be fine! :) Just use paper clips as trial runs for the right kind of bends you'll need, then get some piano wire of the right diameter and have at it!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 19:02:11 »

Oh, you'll be fine! :) Just use paper clips as trial runs for the right kind of bends you'll need, then get some piano wire of the right diameter and have at it!

Sweet thanks man!

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 14:32:43 »
I have recently become interested in a 60% Alps-switch keyboard with the HHKB layout. It would be nice if the design could support a 6.00x spacebar like it is in the actual HHKB Pro 2, but I think that 6.25x or 7.00x would be more compatible. For me, the shorter the spacebar the better (within reasonable limits). It would be fun to get a case that fills in the blank spaces on the bottom row, such as the case for the Duck Viper keyboard.

It would also be nice if the plate and PCB could support Monterey Blue switches, but this might be too difficult to make compatible with regular Alps.

I am also interested in mx -- specifically, Purple Zealio switches.

Offline E3E

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 15:52:32 »
I have recently become interested in a 60% Alps-switch keyboard with the HHKB layout. It would be nice if the design could support a 6.00x spacebar like it is in the actual HHKB Pro 2, but I think that 6.25x or 7.00x would be more compatible. For me, the shorter the spacebar the better (within reasonable limits). It would be fun to get a case that fills in the blank spaces on the bottom row, such as the case for the Duck Viper keyboard.

It would also be nice if the plate and PCB could support Monterey Blue switches, but this might be too difficult to make compatible with regular Alps.

I am also interested in mx -- specifically, Purple Zealio switches.

They were available in the Alps Party 60% buy! You can always see if anyone is willing to sell their HHKB plate. For a case design, I'd personally commission Inanis for her awesome woodworking skills and get a case made with the filled in spaces ala an HHKB. The design would have to be thought out a bit since that plate does not have those two areas cut away. You could always try and mill off those bits though, then that'd make a custom case a lot easier. 

That is, if you want a high profile case; if not, you can always get one of the acrylic options available, or buy an aluminum/poly housing from GON. 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 15:59:23 »
They were available in the Alps Party 60% buy! You can always see if anyone is willing to sell their HHKB plate. For a case design, I'd personally commission Inanis for her awesome woodworking skills and get a case made with the filled in spaces ala an HHKB. The design would have to be thought out a bit since that plate does not have those two areas cut away. You could always try and mill off those bits though, then that'd make a custom case a lot easier. 

That is, if you want a high profile case; if not, you can always get one of the acrylic options available, or buy an aluminum/poly housing from GON. 

Or 3D print a case, like MrRooks did for me with a JD45 case:

Photo credit: MrRooks
Case design: Wilba
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 December 2015, 16:01:31 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline E3E

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 16:26:18 »

Show Image

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I was definitely thinking of Ziptyze's sweet cases as another option. He has mentioned before that he might try an HHKB-style case. Very sweet custom case, JD.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 23:31:24 »
Why isn't this live yet?

Factory packed with orders until Christmas. My personal GB ++.

+1 Totally down for one of these beauties!  :thumb:
Just hoping I wont miss the 1 week order time somehow...  ;)

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 12:27:59 »

Show Image

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I was definitely thinking of Ziptyze's sweet cases as another option. He has mentioned before that he might try an HHKB-style case. Very sweet custom case, JD.

I would totally buy one from Ziptyze. Especially if it comes with feet.
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 13:18:34 »
You may consider support for:

1. Full size 2u backspace.
2. Right shift 2.75u.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 13:44:57 »
There is also going to be winkeyless 60% plates available. ISO or ANSI.

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 00:47:38 »
Totally in for this GB, I wonder where to grab a PCB though

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:57:35 »

Same here! 
For the PCB im probably going with one of GONs or one of the Winkeyless.kr ones that LeandreN also did a GB for. :)
Still need to hunt for another case tho! xD

Was there any info yet on the plates being available as (anodized) aluminum btw, or will it be steel only this time?

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 08:03:38 »

Same here! 
For the PCB im probably going with one of GONs or one of the Winkeyless.kr ones that LeandreN also did a GB for. :)
Still need to hunt for another case tho! xD

Was there any info yet on the plates being available as (anodized) aluminum btw, or will it be steel only this time?

Anodized alu in 3-4 different colors.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:51:29 »

Awesome! :D

Thx for the info LeandreN! <3

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 12:52:16 »

Awesome! :D

Thx for the info LeandreN! <3
No problems mate.

Offline Lobosmoose

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 19:43:16 »
Is red going to be an option for an aluminum color? if so will it match the TEX 60% aluminum case? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=626

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 23:38:11 »
Does anyone know if the PCB for KC60 support smaller right shift with an Fn key? Was wondering if I could re-program it :)

Doesn't seem to be the case :(
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2015, 23:40:20 by apolotary »

Offline Hako

Re: [IC] Winkeyless and HHKB top plates
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 02:07:09 »
What happened to the Alps plates? I was interested in buying one
I'm also interested in the HHKB MX one too, though

Offline Tachi

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 10:37:46 »
If you use standoffs with these plates could you hand wire and still fit in a standard 60% case? Oh how it sucks to be saving money =(

Offline shoostep

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 18:40:47 »
I am excited about this buy.  I hope to pick up a HHKB layout in blue.

Offline Jumie

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 05:24:28 »
In for sure :)

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 20:44:52 »
This is a godsent. I was hoping winkeyless would bring back the all acrylic cases, but now they just have the aluminium and acrylic cases, which are way more. Glad I can do this instead  :thumb:

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 03:40:14 »
What happened to the Alps plates? I was interested in buying one
I'm also interested in the HHKB MX one too, though

I want to make sure we do everything correct so i want to do the Alps plates seperate later.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
Re: [IC] MX Winkeyless and HHKB top plates(colors, materials)
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 03:44:40 »
Okay.

HHKB and Winkeyless plates for first round here. PCB mounted stabilisers(or plate, i'll see how that works out).

HHKB plates
Color/material 1
Color/material 2
Color/material 3

Winkeyless plates
Orange/aluminium
Color/material 2
Color/material 3

Offline SJHL

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 10:35:34 »
Im interested in a blue plate if its offered for HHKB

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 03:19:43 »
This won't happen until 14th of February. Stay tuned.

Offline skaloola

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:51:44 »
just wondering why 7x was chosen over 6.25x?  (I get not using 6.0x..).  seems that 6.25x would be the more logical choice, so wanted to see what the reasoning behind it was.

also: pink (light / baby blue is my second choice) for plate / housing colors please=)

would love to make a pink hhkb.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 20:48:55 »
just wondering why 7x was chosen over 6.25x?  (I get not using 6.0x..).  seems that 6.25x would be the more logical choice, so wanted to see what the reasoning behind it was.

also: pink (light / baby blue is my second choice) for plate / housing colors please=)

symmetry

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 20:59:38 »

7x rocks, there is no need for a reason.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:02:08 »
Any chance to make the right shift optional for 2.75u and 1.75u?

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 14:05:53 »
Can't wait for the 14th :DDDD I hope it comes in purple. Love me some purple. I saw there is going to be Orange and that is my second favorite color so that works tooooo  :thumb: can't wait :D gonna put some 78g zealios in this.
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 14:55:57 »

This +1
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 14:57:53 »

This +1
1,75 + 1u only to make the switches fit nicely is first priority.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 14:59:51 »

This +1
1,75 + 1u only to make the switches fit nicely is first priority.

Actually, my plan is to get it the layout of 1.75 + 1u but it would be nice if we had a choice in case we might swap it in the future.
But it's all good :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 15:01:21 »
Do the MX Winkeyless support HHKB layout as standard? If so, I'd be down for a plate and PCB with the SMD, controller etc work done

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 15:03:55 »
Do the MX Winkeyless support HHKB layout as standard? If so, I'd be down for a plate and PCB with the SMD, controller etc work done
Hi pexon!

It will be one winkeyless and one HHKB ;)

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 15:04:05 »

From the mockup it does seems like it.
You can fill in the IC here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79244.0 :D

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 15:34:19 »
Filled in.

Very interested to see what a case and PCB in HHKB layout will cost, seems to be a damn good price from the IC form