Author Topic: [IC] KAT Iron- Salvun caps unleashed - GB date August 2nd!!! Pricing added  (Read 60447 times)

Offline fatboycarney

Group Buy thread open. This thread locked now

Salvuns Announced

304 Stainless meticulously machined, finished and beadblasted in Salvuns lair then laser polished to make for the must have companion to your KAT Iron kits of choice
Both R4 and R5 will be available.

Pricing

Hello Geekhack

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these unprecedented times.
This is the IC for my next set but this time I am changing it up and giving KAT a go,  and with that I introduce you to

KAT Iron

Inspiration

Well it seems  I like elements of the periodic table, After finishing up the GMK Copper GB, I played around with some colours for my next set but got pulled back into elements and metal. Iron is extremely interesting, of the utmost importance in human history and since when trying to match its likeness with plastic poses a bit of a problem, which in my mind could be solved using a gradient. This allowed to show either the different colours that iron/steel can appear in varying forms and light. However I love the effect of oxidation,  with optional hints of rust, or a full on rust layout you get what I believe to be a very verstatile, interesting set in a profile that offers a wide range of kits for the wide range of boards available. Continuing to expand on this, I love being able to tie seemingly unrelated things into a overarching theme.  Using influences in Biology, Chemistry, and human history a range of mini-themes emerged under the larger umbrella of a simple, amazing element.
With the kit flexibility that comes with KAT, I wanted to have an alternate alphas that fit the theme, after looking at a few options I came across the Phoenician alphabet, which fit perfetly as its origin came about in the early Iron age of history. It spread throughout the Mediterranean world and was adopted by many cultures. And it just looks amazing IMHO.

Feedback
Feedback is invaluable so putting this IC form up near the top so no one misses. Please take a second to let me know your thoughts.
https://forms.gle/uLRug9bZ3D4jDRPr6

Kits Major updates to the kits are complete

Phoenician Alphas

The making of the Phoenician Alphas
More
The Phoenician Alphas was a collaboration between JSaintS, myself and Manzel, with additional input from konstantin in this thread.  I wanted to provide some
details on the extended thought process by Manzel on filling in the gaps in a number of the letters. Its quite amazing!! thanks so much man!
The ones that had a clear counterpart were just used on that specific key: A, B, D, Z, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q
giml would be C or G. Since it evolved from the greek Γ, I placed it on G. Thus we were missing a C. For this, I used the old symbol, which giml was based on.
For H, there is he and het. Since the former evolved to E, this was used for E. That left het for H
waw was difficult since it evolved to F, U, V, Y, and W. Since it is called waw and also pronounced like that, I used it on W
tet went on to became the greek Θ and cyrillic Ѳ (fita). Thus I used it for F
yod could be I or J. Since there is also sade, which became the cyrillic Џ (pronounced like the beginning of jump), I used sade on J. But since yod starts with a Y, I used it as that.
For I, I modified the yod glyph and removed the tail
For S, there are samek and sin. Since the latter became our S, I used it there. And samek on X
I think, only U and V are missing now. I derived both of these from waw. For V, I just made a V. And for U, I made the top part of the Y (waw) round, which seems to be an actual step in the evolution of that letter

Novelties

Renders by Manzel

Iron180 by Smith + Rune

KBD19X by KBDFans

Iron165 by Smith + Rune

S7 elephant by jacky

ROTR by Polarity Works rendered by panzerstadt
 (IC - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107104.0)

Deskmats

Confirmed Artisan Collabs

Archetype

GSK

latrialum

Sodie Caps

Fraktal Kaps

lividitycaps

sludgekidd

Girlycaps Studios

gothcaps

trmkcaps

Artkey Universe

RADcaps

Vendors

US - TX Keyboards
Canada - Deskhero
Europe - Mykeyboard
Asia - Zfrontier
Oceania - DailyClack
Ukraine,Russia and Belarus - Funkeys

Next steps
- get feedback from everywhere (Geekhack, Discord, Instagram) Got lots!!
- review any following kit changes needed
- provide new kits to Keyreative and work on getting samples
- Add more renders
- Deskmat designs
-Artisans - oh yes!!
- IC Form
- Confirm remaining proxies

Thanks

JSaintS for all the stuff he did to help me on KAT, without his help, feedback and support on the  this set would never have happened. And original run at the Phoenician alphas which I think look amazing
OCM has helped me from the beginning of Copper and hasnt stopped since and look at those novelties  :eek:
Manzel For the amazing renders, and for taking the Phoenician alphas to the next level without me even asking
lbaron for support and providing Iron180 files and making awesome boards!!!
Roche for all the feedback and being open to the ongoing constant harassment of looking at a new render by me
Chowbabyloving feedback on renders and always challenging new ideas!!
popkorn for agreeing to be the vendor for KAT Iron and running TX Keyboards first KAT set
jerrolds for being proxy for KAT Iron in Canada
Braxusz For the amazing Carnival logo surprise out of nowhere!!
Mek For sharing ideas and general discussions, and future collabs
The Carnival Discord for all the support and love!!
The entire community everyone here makes this so much fun!!

Dont forget to provide your

Feedback
Feedback is invaluable so putting this IC form up near the top so no one misses. Please take a second to let me know your thoughts.
https://forms.gle/uLRug9bZ3D4jDRPr6

Also come to the discord and talk with other Carnival fans and discuss, request or critique the set
Join my discord server to stay up to date with the set at the Carnival

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2020, 18:40:49 by fatboycarney »

Re: [IC] KAT Iron
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 00:48:08 »
Very dank 40s support. I'm not normally a fan of gradient sets but I actually love the look of this so might give this one a try. I was a big fan of DSA ferrous and this just seems like a better implementation of that.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2020, 00:51:31 by machine yearning »

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 00:58:02 »
This might be the 1st KAT and gradient set I get in on.  :thumb:

Offline Nothatso

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 01:37:39 »
You had me at Phoenician Alphas  :thumb:

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 01:42:21 »
Porphyrin ring novelty?

Offline chowbabyloving

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 01:56:49 »
I'm looking forward to the collabs.

Offline nettoxx7

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 01:57:37 »
Looks really good with the Iron Fe theme!

Offline bow3i

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 05:38:22 »
I like this! good luck

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 05:40:11 »
Any renders without accents or novelties?

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 07:07:27 »
Ergodox thumb cluster keys should be R2, not R1, with the exception of the 2us (since they are convex).

Likewise the 1.5u verticals needs to be R2.

Additionally, you might want to think about which legends you’re providing in your bottom row versus the thumb cluster. The thing to keep in mind is that you don’t need more than one of a given legend in each of R1 vs. R2.

Don’t just follow prior KAT group buys. They’ve been getting it wrong.

Offline catbus

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 08:22:21 »
I'd love to see a blank Ergo kit if possible  :thumb:

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 09:22:40 »
Pretty nice! Really into the Phoenician Alphas.
BTW, I really don't know anything about the inspiration for this, but would it be possible a Phoenician enter text novelty? That would make me get the novelties kit.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 11:01:40 »
I’d be interested to see “rusted” alphas and “rusted” mods that use the oxidized color. I think that would be pretty sweet.

FBC, I really liked what you did with Copper, but couldn’t swallow the price tag at the time. A KAT set is much easier to pick up as it usually costs half of a GMK core + novelties set. Running a “rusted” alphas/mods set would be a nod back towards copper.

Anyways, thanks for the consideration!

Offline chowbabyloving

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 15:04:09 »
I’d be interested to see “rusted” alphas and “rusted” mods that use the oxidized color. I think that would be pretty sweet.

FBC, I really liked what you did with Copper, but couldn’t swallow the price tag at the time. A KAT set is much easier to pick up as it usually costs half of a GMK core + novelties set. Running a “rusted” alphas/mods set would be a nod back towards copper.

I'm hoping for phoenician sublegend alphas.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 15:52:53 »

Would be interested in seeing too. KAT child kits make this a lot easier than GMK...

Offline eas

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 16:54:16 »
Thanks for \| in Ortholinear kit

I'm in.

Offline gminso

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 17:09:08 »
On the alpha kit image, '<' key has only '<' on it but some of the renders have both '<' and ',' on the key.
if the intention is to drop ',' symbol to make alphas uniformly centered with a single symbol, maybe consider doing the same for the num row.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 17:14:17 »
Never been a fan of gradient sets (either side to side or top to bottom), but this really does pop! You got my interest & I have been wanting to get a KAT set, gonna keep an eye on this one. GL with it moving forward!

Offline TurboGrinder

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 17:29:54 »
Just filled out the form. I like that you have Minivan support in the 40s kit right out of the box, and 2 1.5u spacebars in the Ortho kit :thumb: It's a decent looking enough set, based on the renders, but I'm going to hold off on getting more KAT gradient sets until I have Eternal. I'd like to see how they look in person before I jump on any more. I'm guessing that this will run quite a while after Eternal ships though.

The extra spacebar in the alpha kits needs to go. For anyone getting an alpha set plus a 60s/40s set, they'll end up with 3 6.25 spacebars. For people that use smaller 40s boards that don't use anything larger than a 2.75u space (myself included) it seems kind of ridiculous to pay for 18.75u worth of keycap that won't ever be used. My suggestion is to pull the spacebar from the alpha kits and only include, at most, 2 of them in the 60s/40s sets. Or better yet, don't include one in the alphas, only include one in the 60s/40s sets, and instead include one of the other color in the spacebars kit. Take a look at KAT Space Cadet as an example.

Oh, I forgot to add this to the form, but the atomic structure of a iron might be a cool novelty. A clothes iron would be funny tongue-in-cheek one too.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 19:07:41 »
So I’ve spent more time looking at the proposed kits and wanted to offer a few comments/thoughts. Please don’t interpret this as overly harsh criticism! I’ve just been starting at this post for entirely too long and a few things stand out to me.

Why so many 6.25u spacebars? If I buy alphas and mods to fill say a 65%, I’m getting three 6.25u spacebars, two of which appear to be the same color. Can we remove the spacebar from the alphas kit? IMO, spacebars belong with the appropriate mods kit or if you got something snowflakey, then in the spacebars kit.

The 40s kit could use a second glance. Either split the 40s kit up into mods, black spacebars, and rusted spacebars or make the 40s kit only contain the most commonly used spacebars, such as 2x 1u, 1x 2u, 1x 2.25u, and 1x 2.75u. We drop down to 9u total length of spacebars in one color from 40u+ in two colors. I may be off base for what constitutes common 40s spacebars, but I do think there are entirely too many spacebars in the 40s kit.

Once you settle on the lengths for the black spacebars kit, please add a rusted spacebars kit.

Alice style users are missing that second B. Add that to the alphas kits or to the mods kits.

Consider adding an icon mods kit in both 40s and ortho. Similarly, why not add a text ergo kit.

Please add an “up” key in the dark gray to the ortho kit. Some of us preonic users do that.

Thanks for taking some time to read over this FBC. I understand the time and effort it takes to produce these ICs and then adapt to feedback. I look forward to how this all shakes out for Iron!
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2020, 19:10:52 by DrHigsby »

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 19:50:37 »
I'd remove all the brown keys from the main kits and make a single accent kit with all those brown keys... the set already has a lot going on with the gradient, I don't think it looks good with the brown at all. It would probably make the set cheaper for most to move them to some extra kit.

The kits need some work, you get duplicate backtick and backslash keys when you get regular alphas and mods. Why is there an 1u shift in the standard mods kit? The home key next to it probably wants to be an end key. Why is there a bottom row 1u fn key but no bottom row 1.25u fn key? why are there two almost identical backslashes in the ortho kit? why are code, menu, rn, raise, lower and ctrl in the ortho kit colored like they're in the second to lowest row? why does the calc kit have ins and home without del, end, pgup and pgdn? why is the num lock symbol a #?

Some more remarks: The 1.5u backspace in the regular mods schema is 1.75u in size (edit: wrong, I meant the backslash key in that kit), the regular alphas have monolegends on a few symbols, and the render labelled kbd19x is not a kbd19x (though maybe you just mean the layout)
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2020, 05:20:58 by stoffelduss »

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 20:59:43 »
Wow  :eek: Thanks so much for the outpouring of feedback.

To everyone who said positive things about the set, thanks so much appreciate your support.

And for all the input, this is awesome. I will be pouring over everything and looking into updates and changes.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 23:21:26 »
Let me start by saying that I really like the look of the Phoenician monoalphas with the gradient. And, my word, what a way to implement one of my favorite writing systems. Good job! :)

Phoenician Alphas
Show Image

Looks like − and = are using non-shifted legends, while the rest of the punctuation keys are using shifted legends. You might want to change the = to + (the − can stay as is; it could represent an underscore as well as a minus). The question mark sticks out like a sore thumb, though, so maybe consider using / for that key, or even switching to non-shifted legends altogether.

The making of the Phoenician Alphas
The Phoenician Alphas was a collaboration between JSaintS, myself and Manzel. I wanted to provide some
details on the extended thought process by Manzel on filling in the gaps in a number of the letters. Its quite amazing!! thanks so much man!

Writing systems are a particular passion of mine, so I'm glad you included this bit! Overall you guys did a great job, but I have couple of remarks.

The first one is that you could have used the Hebrew keyboard layout as the starting point instead of QWERTY, since the modern Hebrew alphabet has an exact 1:1 correspondence with the Phoenician alphabet (abjad, for the grammatologically inclined among you). In fact, the Hebrew layout is exactly what's used by enthusiasts to type Phoenician, similar to how the Russian layout is used as a basis when writing Old Church Slavonic in old Cyrillic and Glagolitic.

That being said, I totally understand the desire to go with QWERTY, and that's cool. (Also, the Hebrew layout has punctuation in the Q and W spots, which isn't ideal for a e s t h e t i c s.) However, standard QWERTY-based Hebrew layouts also exist (second page in the PDF linked above), so you might want to take a look at that and adjust your design accordingly. It's already good for the most part, but some letters like tsade, tet, šin etc. would have to be moved around (though I do think your positioning is better for some of them, e.g. het).

If you don't want to do that either (which I wouldn't blame you if you didn't), I'd like to go over a few slightly more subtle points as to why I don't agree with some of your positioning, and how it can be made better. Lots of text ahead, but well worth reading:
More
The ones that had a clear counterpart were just used on that specific key: A, B, D, Z, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q
No issues there!

giml would be C or G. Since it evolved from the greek Γ, I placed it on G. Thus we were missing a C. For this, I used the old symbol, which giml was based on.
No contention here either, at least as far as G goes. However, I believe tsade is a more appropriate symbol for C, and I'll get into why in a bit. (By the way, gamma evolved from giml, not the other way around ;))

yod could be I or J. Since there is also sade, which became the cyrillic Џ (pronounced like the beginning of jump), I used sade on J. But since yod starts with a Y, I used it as that.
For I, I modified the yod glyph and removed the tail
Now this is one (or, rather, three) that I have a problem with. As a native user of Џ (yay Serbian) and a writing system nerd, I can tell you that its derivation from tsade is very, very debatable. Although it resembles Ц (which is descended from tsade, via Hebrew צ), Џ itself comes from Ч (che, like the “ch” in “chair”) — a closely related letter and sound. In fact, it is much more likely that Ч and Џ were derived via Ҁ (koppa) from Anc.Greek qoppa and, ultimately, Phoenician qoph. (Notice the similarity in glyphs between Ч and Ҁ, and how they may be written in a similar way.) In South Slavic languages and Romanian (where Џ originated), the Џ/Ч sounds are not very closely related to Ц /ts/, but they are closely related to the /k/ sound of Ҁ. Therefore, while Ц is related to Phoenician tsade, Џ is likely not, and so the “J/jump” association is no good.

What tsade is good for is the C position. Namely, that Latin letter is very often used for transcribing /ts/ sounds in various world languages, including European, Chinese and, indeed, Semitic language families (e.g. Hebrew), which Phoenician is a part of. As a bonus, the Hebrew QWERTY layout also maps C to tsade. Therefore, I suggest using tsade for the C character, instead of the older form of gimel (which, btw, looks exactly like Hebrew waw to me).

As for I and J, the appropriate letter would obviously be yod. I don't think that yod should be used for Y, since Y comes from a different, waw background (more on that below). I suggest using yod for I, and the modified yod (without the tail) for J. That would reflect how J came to be in Latin as well — as a modified version of I. Alternatively, you can do it the other way around and use the tailless yod for I if you'd like. Either way should be fine (although I recommend the former), as long as yod is used for I and J, and not Y.

waw was difficult since it evolved to F, U, V, Y, and W. Since it is called waw and also pronounced like that, I used it on W
tet went on to became the greek Θ and cyrillic Ѳ (fita). Thus I used it for F
I think, only U and V are missing now. I derived both of these from waw. For V, I just made a V. And for U, I made the top part of the Y (waw) round, which seems to be an actual step in the evolution of that letter
Yep, this one was bound to be tough for sure. I agree with using waw for W and tet for F (nice one with the Ѳ throwback). As for U and V, I think U should be a modified (rounded) version of the V glyph, since that's how U came to be in Latin. So how about: keeping W and U as they are (waw and rounded waw), and using the Hebrew waw glyph (, aka. your “older gimel”) for V — which actually corresponds to a /v/ sound in modern Hebrew?

That just leaves us with Y, which isn't yod anymore. For this one, I've got a fun suggestion: make Y also waw, but the way it evolved in Syriac and Arabic: . According to Wikipedia, it evolved from this hieroglyphic: , so you could use that as a reference too.

The rest, like het, samek and šin, I agree with. I think you're missing T in the write-up, but that one falls into the “easy” category :)

So yeah... came for the colored plastic, ended up writing an essay on writing systems. But I hope you find this information useful, and I hope you'll take it into consideration and adjust the legends accordingly. Good job on the set once again :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2020, 11:00:54 by konstantin »

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 23:34:30 »
Any renders without accents or novelties?

Will do this on next render on 60/65 percent board (which i think covers off another request)

Offline manzel

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 04:20:40 »
Writing systems are a particular passion of mine, so I'm glad you included this bit! Overall you guys did a great job, but I have couple of remarks.
I expected you having something to say about this. Ultimately, it is fatboycarney's decision. But I wanted to add a few of my comments.

No contention here either, at least as far as G goes. However, I believe tsade is a more appropriate symbol for C, and I'll get into why in a bit. (By the way, gamma evolved from giml, not the other way around ;))

Noticed later that I worded the bit about giml evolving badly. I meant to say that "it (G) evolved from the greek Γ, I placed it (giml) on G".

Therefore, I suggest using tsade for the C character, instead of the older form of gimel (which, btw, looks exactly like Hebrew waw to me).
Can totally understand your reasoning and think that is a good idea.

As for I and J, the appropriate letter would obviously be yod. I don't think that yod should be used for Y, since Y comes from a different, waw background (more on that below). I suggest using yod for I, and the modified yod (without the tail) for J. That would reflect how J came to be in Latin as well — as a modified version of I. Alternatively, you can do it the other way around and use the tailless yod for I if you'd like. Either way should be fine (although I recommend the former), as long as yod is used for I and J, and not Y.
Again, sounds good to me.

Yep, this one was bound to be tough for sure. I agree with using waw for W and tet for F (nice one with the Ѳ throwback). As for U and V, I think U should be a modified (rounded) version of the V glyph, since that's how U came to be in Latin. So how about: keeping W and U as they are (waw and rounded waw), and using the Hebrew waw glyph (
Show Image
, aka. your “older gimel”) for V
— which actually corresponds to a /v/ sound in modern Hebrew?
I like that version. For sure better than my idea of just arbitrarily (well, almost) modifying glyphs.

That just leaves us with Y, which isn't yod anymore. For this one, I've got a fun suggestion: make Y also waw, but the way it evolved in Syriac and Arabic:
Show Image
. According to Wikipedia, it evolved from this hieroglyphic:
Show Image
, so you could also use that as a reference too.
I think I can come up with something based on Arabic/Syriac waw.

I think you're missing T in the write-up, but that one falls into the “easy” category :)
Dang, originally I wanted to comment on this in relation to tet, but apparently forgot. Nice spot.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 05:05:48 »
Phoenician alphas, split 40s/ortho kit makes this a no brainer for me. I love it!

I would prefer icon over text mods though. Especially for matching the alternative alphas.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 10:51:46 »
Per my earlier reply, this should be of interest:

Recommendations for KAT Ergo kits

You will probably need to tweak the advice in this guide a little since you're dealing with a gradient colorway, but most recommendations still apply.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 21:26:38 »
I expected you having something to say about this. Ultimately, it is fatboycarney's decision. But I wanted to add a few of my comments.

[...]

Heya! Glad to hear you agree with the feedback.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 23:17:08 »

[...]

Heya! Glad to hear you agree with the feedback.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Yes thanks very much for the feedback konstantin, manzel and I discussed and you should see an update soon!  :thumb:

Offline Sneetzle

Re: [IC] KAT Iron - Kit changes/additions being worked on
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 04:18:12 »
I like this! I filled in the form.

Suggestion: leave the atom weight off and center the Fe26 on the key like the rest of the legends.

Also I don't think the Eiffel tower fits the theme well (swords, Phoenicia).
"Tokyo60 with GMK Terminal"

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 07:40:57 »
Phoenician alphas, split 40s/ortho kit makes this a no brainer for me. I love it!

I would prefer icon over text mods though. Especially for matching the alternative alphas.

I have the same feedback as harlekein. I think the Phoenician alphas are awesome, and very unique. But pairing them with the current ortho/40s mods just wouldn't match visually. Therefore, personally I would love to see an Ortho Icon Mods kit, and I think that 40s users would benefit from a similar 40s Icon Mods kit.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 07:46:37 »

I have the same feedback as harlekein. I think the Phoenician alphas are awesome, and very unique. But pairing them with the current ortho/40s mods just wouldn't match visually. Therefore, personally I would love to see an Ortho Icon Mods kit, and I think that 40s users would benefit from a similar 40s Icon Mods kit.

If it's a problem running both kits in text and mods, please make a poll. It could be I'm the minority, but I'd rather see text mods ditched in favor of icon mods.

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 08:32:56 »

If it's a problem running both kits in text and mods, please make a poll. It could be I'm the minority, but I'd rather see text mods ditched in favor of icon mods.

Agreed with you both Icons coming soon  :thumb:  Thanks for the interest and the feedback!

Offline Nim

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 20:41:58 »
Really liking the look of this. The Phoenician alphas sold it for me

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 10:06:10 »

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 10:09:36 »

Would be interested in seeing too. KAT child kits make this a lot easier than GMK...

Thanks for the comments, and yes the kitting makes this much easier. I have done a lot of considering on this and even ran some of my "hack" renders to see what it looks like, it really takes a way from the gradient and looks off from the feeling of the set. I am hesitant to add this but wanted to get a bit more into your thinking, and of course I am a sucker for the callback to Copper.

One question though were you looking to mix and match the kits or did you want a full oxodized kit?

Also feel free to jump into my discord or PM me here if it warrants further offline discussion.

Offline thedavefulton

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 15:34:28 »
Can I just tell you which sets I want now?

Offline hmmmwhatsthis

• no
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 16:36:28 »
Is there going to be a kit without the gradient?

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 11:43:13 »
Is there going to be a kit without the gradient?

Some have requested accent colour to be made available, if that is what you mean then its possible, please fill out the form. If you mean with the greys then no that wont be something that will happen.

Offline bukowski

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 07:20:29 »
The layout and international support ist just amazing, just like the design. I am in.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 21:35:17 »
I gotta wonder why going with an "international" kit, given this set is to be run in the KAT profile, and seems to be mixing what other sets have had as "North" and "South" kits. I've also noticed a few mistakes in this kit and others; what's the exact list of national layouts that is meant to be supported?.

On a slightly subjective note, I noticed that there is some inconsistency in the choosing of just the base typographical symbols in some keys, while going with base+Shift in others.

EDIT: I noticed the international kit is the same as the one in KAT Hyperfuse, down to the same errors. Same flawed source, surely.

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 00:15:06 »
I gotta wonder why going with an "international" kit, given this set is to be run in the KAT profile, and seems to be mixing what other sets have had as "North" and "South" kits. I've also noticed a few mistakes in this kit and others; what's the exact list of national layouts that is meant to be supported?.

On a slightly subjective note, I noticed that there is some inconsistency in the choosing of just the base typographical symbols in some keys, while going with base+Shift in others.

EDIT: I noticed the international kit is the same as the one in KAT Hyperfuse, down to the same errors. Same flawed source, surely.

Let me first say nice to see you comment on my IC  :eek: I didnt get to see you on Copper  :p
Kit updates are definitely happening and JSaintS who is doing KAT Hyperfuse is helping me on the kits, thus the similarity.  Hopefully updates will be coming next week.

I can confirm for sure your second point is being cleaned up (that is all done and just waiting for other kits)

Thanks again for your feedback, hope you can look over the updated kits once posted and provide any additional feedback! 

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 00:18:44 »

Agreed and its coming!!  :thumb:

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 07:31:47 »
Thanks again for your feedback, hope you can look over the updated kits once posted and provide any additional feedback!

Lemme have a look at the updated kits before you post them, so I can whisk out errors before they become public. ;-)

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 20:17:17 »
I like this! I filled in the form.

Suggestion: leave the atom weight off and center the Fe26 on the key like the rest of the legends.

Also I don't think the Eiffel tower fits the theme well (swords, Phoenicia).

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the suggestion to remove the atomic weight to match the rest of the legends better, but I am partial the weight being there and it is sort of sticking with the approach of my last set and not to mention Phosphorous and Carbon.

I appreciate the Eiffel tower doesnt match but it is made out of iron which fits the overall theme and expect more novelties to be released sooon that will add to a more varied approach of themes within a theme. You get to choose the ones you want to use and customize the theme to be your own.

Offline fatboycarney

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 09:23:00 »
All the updates are posted, to numerous to mention in the comments

New kits, new phoenicians, new novelties, new alpha/mod colour, vendor, artisan collabs. WOW! :eek:

Offline catbus

Any chance for ergo blanks?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Offline Sorachi.Ace

• Formerly CaptRobo
  • Co-owner of SodieCaps artisan keycaps
I love the light to dark mono gradient. I'm a sucker for noventies and I think that's a place where this kit really shines. The medieval weaponry and armor is so good.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
I’m very excited about the changes FBC! Can’t wait to see what all the collab material will be too!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
All the updates are posted, to numerous to mention in the comments

New kits, new phoenicians, new novelties, new alpha/mod colour, vendor, artisan collabs. WOW! :eek:

Wooo, new Phoenician alphas, kits and novelties are looking great! Really nice update. I'm thrilled to see you guys decided to use the same icons and legends as Hyperfuse. :) And that R3 Up key is a good idea actually; maybe it should find its way to HF too.