Author Topic: Plate material differences with a linear switch?  (Read 36448 times)

Offline rafamundez

Plate material differences with a linear switch?
« on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 04:50:01 »
Hey peeps.

Looking for the community's input on how various full plates affect the sound of keyboard + linear switch used. I think currently the popular trend is to have the "thockiest" or deepest sound maybe? I'm looking to decide what type of plate would help to enable that for my kbd8x that's on it's way over.

I'm going to be using one of the following switches: NK Creams, C³ Tangerines, or Yellow Inks v2 as the switch. I haven't decided which one to go with. All switches will of course be lubed and the NK ones will be spring swapped (possibly the Yellow Inks as well).

The plate options are: Aluminum plate, Brass plate, Carbon fiber plate, FR4 (fiberglass) plate, Polycarbonate plate, and POM plate.

Would love people's thoughts on this!

Extra details:
The plate will be a full sized one since the PCB has 2 relief cuts; if you go with a half plate, you will run into some rather extreme flex. In addition to this, I'll be getting a muting kit as well. The case is also full aluminum with a brass weight (I didn't get the polycarb version).

Offline Findecanor

Re: Plate material differences with a linear switch?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 06:18:19 »
JCKeyboards on Youtube has made many sound-comparison videos, that I find useful.
Here's en aluminium tray-mount case and linear switch with different plates:

Offline dibstern

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 October 2020, 17:48:30 »
JCKeyboards on Youtube has made many sound-comparison videos, that I find useful.
Here's en aluminium tray-mount case and linear switch with different plates:

Agh it’s so difficult to tell the difference when the switches are unlubed and so damn scratchy.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 11:57:14 »
Hey peeps.

Looking for the community's input on how various full plates affect the sound of keyboard + linear switch used. I think currently the popular trend is to have the "thockiest" or deepest sound maybe? I'm looking to decide what type of plate would help to enable that for my kbd8x that's on it's way over.

I'm going to be using one of the following switches: NK Creams, C³ Tangerines, or Yellow Inks v2 as the switch. I haven't decided which one to go with. All switches will of course be lubed and the NK ones will be spring swapped (possibly the Yellow Inks as well).

The plate options are: Aluminum plate, Brass plate, Carbon fiber plate, FR4 (fiberglass) plate, Polycarbonate plate, and POM plate.

Would love people's thoughts on this!

Extra details:
The plate will be a full sized one since the PCB has 2 relief cuts; if you go with a half plate, you will run into some rather extreme flex. In addition to this, I'll be getting a muting kit as well. The case is also full aluminum with a brass weight (I didn't get the polycarb version).

Deepest sounding will be POM . it gives kind of a full sound
PC is good for flexibility
Fr4 is good for sturdiness but still a little flex
Carbon fiber is hard  and gives a taut sound
Alu  plate is very nice . medium , full sound.  awesome
brass plate is high pitch and musical .

You will want yellow ink v2 on pom
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 11:57:49 »
Ehh I forgot to mention that Kbd8x is pretty horrible sounding.

since you are using kbd8x then I'd use cf plate with c3 tangerine
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!