Author Topic: Best silent switch  (Read 12956 times)

Offline yajdem

Best silent switch
« on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 03:09:21 »
Dear,

I'm planning to buy a new mechanical keyboard.
I would like to ask for your help in selecting the most suitable switch for me.

I'm currently using a cherry mx red switch with full satisfaction, but I want to change to quieter switches. What would you recommend?
On the market, cherry mx silent red is similar and quiet, but you can surely say an alternative. I would be glad, if the feel of pressing the buttons is similar to that of the red.

Thank you

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
Re: Best silent switch
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 03:54:30 »
Zilent switches (Zeal switches)
Lubricated linear switches (Vintage MX Blacks)
Silent MX Blacks

Those are the 3 that come to mind, there are probably a bunch more out there if you do a quick google search
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 06:12:39 »
I would recommend a keyboard with MX Silent Red.
Gateron also makes Silent Red switches but keyboards with those are not as widely available.
Zeal switches and lubrication are for enthusiasts who build their own keyboards and/or modify their existing ones.

The sound profile of a keyboard depends mostly on the switches, but also on how it is built and on the keycaps.
If you use to flip up the back feet of your keyboard then they should have a piece of rubber — so that there is rubber between the keyboard's case and your desk, otherwise that transmits vibrations into the desk and cause noise.

I would look at Leopold, Ducky and Varmilo. They are brands known to make well-built keyboards.

Don't be fooled by marketing-speak that a keyboard has its mounting plate "made of metal". All mech keyboards have a similar part in them — but the most silent of them have it enclosed in plastic.
Some enthusiast keyboards are made from solid metal (as opposed to sheet metal) but those had cost a lot more to make, and you won't find keyboards of that grade in the store on the corner.

Offline shadowku

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 08:11:38 »
I think it depends on how far you're willing to go for a silent keyboard.

The easiest, as Findecanor said, is to just buy an off-the-shelf keyboard with Silent reds/blacks. Don't need to do anything out of the box, but lubing them would improve it.

If you're willing to buy a more enthusiast board with hot-swap then you can also get Zilents and lube them but would be significantly more costly.

My preference for silent keyboards is actually silenced Topre. My silenced HHKB (Hypersphere) is the quietest keyboard I've ever used, but is now noisier because I've added other mods. A normal HHKB/RF with silence-X or deskey rings would also be very quiet. This would be a significant change from what you're currently using, though.

To make my keyboards quieter, I actually put a piece of foam inside the keyboard, like a neoprene piece or something similar. I also put a mat underneath to further dampen the noise.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline leninade

• Buy cheap OSRS gold
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 08:22:57 »
Orion Spectrum G810 works well for me  :D at least when I'm bossing in path of exile and need super fast reaction times to protect myself from an otherwise lethal attack. I mean, great items bought with poe currency I buy helps too I guess, but top notch keyboard is also a must.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 July 2019, 05:54:47 by leninade »

Offline rxc92

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 11:34:38 »
To make my keyboards quieter, I actually put a piece of foam inside the keyboard, like a neoprene piece or something similar. I also put a mat underneath to further dampen the noise.

How's it affect the feel of the keyboard, by the way? My R2 came with some extra mats and I was wondering if I ought to try them out.

Offline donnghia

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 12:44:11 »
topre HHKB Type-s

Matias Quiet Click - KBP V60

Offline shadowku

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 13:56:26 »
How's it affect the feel of the keyboard, by the way? My R2 came with some extra mats and I was wondering if I ought to try them out.

I recommend trying it for sure if your keyboard came with it. RFs are also very easy to open up. The R1 doesn't even have screws that hold the case together.

It nulls out some of the vibration within the case to give it a more solid feel and sound. After I put the mat into my purple-slider'd lubed HHKB, I noticed a 1-2 decibel difference (I measured).
Not too significant, but it's something. I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll notice in a RF, but in an HHKB, where there's no metal plate, it makes a difference and I recommend it.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 16:26:33 »
Gateron Ink Silent
Zeal Healios

Both are very similar in feel and noise. The Gat Inks have a better spring maybe, a bit more silent by default (with no lube).

Offline yuppie

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 17:38:34 »
Healios are good, but the "best" silent linear is certainly the MX Zilent Black:

- Zeal Housing
- Zeal Spring
- Cherry Silent MX stem
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 17:43:10 »
Healios are good, but the "best" silent linear is certainly the MX Zilent Black:

- Zeal Housing
- Zeal Spring
- Cherry Silent MX stem

Oh Yeah.
Damn.
Damn Boi.
DAMN BOI
HE THICC BOI
THAT'S A THICC ASS BOI

DAMN
BA BAA!

Offline rxc92

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 22:34:22 »

Yuck.. I can't get past that sound, it's just like thick plastic thunking on thick plastic.