Author Topic: New Here...Matias Tactile Pro  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Jaydoublem

New Here...Matias Tactile Pro
« on: Tue, 18 March 2008, 23:56:22 »
Hello everybody this is my first post here.

I am currently using an Apple Extended Keyboard II, but I am looking to upgrade to something more recent with USB and such.
I would certainly like to have a Filco, but I am not quite ready to drop 200 on a keyboard even though I am certain that Ill eventually get there.

I was offered a Matias Tactile Pro for 40 bucks. I know that it get mixed reviews everywhere, but I wanted to give it a try since it includes Mac Keys. I was wondering whether 40 bucks is a fair price if it comes in its original box...

Offline zerogravitas

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 00:12:03 »
Welcome :)

Quote from: Jaydoublem;3698

I was offered a Matias Tactile Pro for 40 bucks. I know that it get mixed reviews everywhere, but I wanted to give it a try since it includes Mac Keys. I was wondering whether 40 bucks is a fair price if it comes in its original box...

I personally would probably go for it, assuming everything worked and it was in decent shape. While the Tactile Pros have flaws that many might view as unnaceptable in a $100-$150, they are probably something I could easily live with in one that only cost $40. :)

Offline Jaydoublem

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 00:29:16 »
I forgot to mention that I am talking about the first Matias Tactile. It retailed for $100.

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 02:18:08 »
Yeah, the first Tactile Pro uses Real Alps switches, while the second one uses something else.  I also say go for it.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline madmaxmedia

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 11:33:14 »
For $40 it's hard to go wrong here. If you don't like it you can probably EBay it for that much.

I have a Micro Connectors USB board that I'd be willing to sell for $30 shipped, just to give you another option here. If you read any of the reviews for the MTP, they often mention the Micro Connectors keyboard. It's louder than the Apple Extended, but apparently not as loud as the MTP. Neither the MTP or the Micro Connectors board is equal to the Apple Extended IMO, but I can understand wanting a USB keyboard.

I don't have a ton of posts here, but have a lot of EBay feedback (same user name.)

Offline Jaydoublem

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 11:52:14 »
Right now my only other option besides the MTP, is the Macally Mk96 because it sells NIB for $10 on ebay.
I don't particularly like the Micro Connectors; I think I read about it. It's the one that has good tactile feel, but that just looks awful, right?
I think I have made my mind up, if that selller really comes through for $40, then Ill take it. If not then ill just keep searching for a good board at a cheaper price. I like the SGI AT101, has anyone tried it yet?

Offline alpslover

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 12:39:38 »
Quote from: Jaydoublem;3705
If not then ill just keep searching for a good board at a cheaper price. I like the SGI AT101, has anyone tried it yet?

the sgi doesn't have apple keys and it's not usb....

it uses the castrated (rubber damped) alps switches.

Offline Jaydoublem

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 12:54:49 »
I don't mind a keyboard not having Apple keys, as long as there are no Windows keys. I feel it's really hard to find a good board that has also USB thats why the SGI interested me.
So what you're saying is that black Alp switches aren't any good. I thought they have the same tactile feel as the whites without the noise?
Basically, what everybody is saying is that if don't get the MTP, I should stay with the Apple Extended?

Offline IBI

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 14:47:56 »
Quote from: Jaydoublem;3705
I like the SGI AT101, has anyone tried it yet?

I've got the Dell AT102W which looks identical apart from the UK layout and windows keys and uses black alps and I love it, I haven't tried any other alps boards though. It doesn't have n-key rollover like the apple extended II reportedly does though.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline alpslover

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 14:47:59 »
Quote from: Jaydoublem;3707
I don't mind a keyboard not having Apple keys, as long as there are no Windows keys. I feel it's really hard to find a good board that has also USB thats why the SGI interested me.

you've found a usb sgi keyboard?

So what you're saying is that black Alp switches aren't any good.

i haven't personally seen any sgi keyboards with black alps switches, but i guess it's possible that they may exist.  i wouldn't say the black alps aren't any good, they're just not what i like.  keyboard feel is a personal preference.

I thought they have the same tactile feel as the whites without the noise?

no, the black alps are less tactile and less noisy than the whites.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 18:26:43 »
The Black alps switches aren't bad at all, but I do agree the whites are better feeling than the blacks.

Offline Jaydoublem

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 19:48:08 »
Quote from: alpslover;3709
you've found a usb sgi keyboard?

I meant that since it's hard to find a USB keyboard, i might just go with a PS/2.

I guess I'll just wait for a few weeks, and see what I discover one ebay. I'd love to find a NeXT Extended Keyboard, but they seem to be very rare. I haven't heard back from the MTP seller, so I guess he decided to not sell it online. He said he had local friends who wanted it too.

Offline alpslover

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 21:32:19 »
you could always try looking for a dell at101, ones without windows keys turn up every once in a while.

this one for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Dell-Keyboard-No-Window-Keys-Black-Alps-Sliders_W0QQitemZ290215645233QQihZ019QQcategoryZ51084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Jaydoublem

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 March 2008, 21:40:03 »
yeah i know, i just don't want to have a keyboard sitting on my desk that says Dell. I know it's stupid, but I saw the same model from SGI today that went for less than $25. I also like the granite look of it.

On the other hand, didn't you just say that you don't like it's black Alp switches?

Offline StevieC

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 27 March 2008, 19:03:18 »
FYI, there have been several reports of the Matias Tactile Pro 1 and 2 both having issues with phantom keys. That said, it's probably one of the few USB keyboards out there to have GOOD mechanical keyswitches and fully featured Mac friendly specialized keys. And on the Tactile Pro 1, I absolutely LOVE their choice of location for the Caps-Lock and Num-Lock LED's. That was simply a stroke of genius. All we need now is for someone to make a keyboard with the caps-lock and other lock LED's like that, and the caps-lock key locking down when engaged, a-la the old Apple Extended Keyboard 1 and 2. I would like one of those Tactile Pro 1's for use with one of the few Macs to have USB ports with the extra pin that lets you power them up with that keyboard-mounted power button. I happen to have one but it's a Blue and White G3 which also has the jack for the older Apple mechanical keyboards so I'd rather use the older beige one. It may lack some of the special keys BUT it is built like a tank.