Purchase tickets at keycon.info

Host City
Salt Lake City, Utah - Downtown

Venue
Venue 6SIX9

Date/Time
Saturday April 27th, 2024 / 10AM-5PM

The Return of KeyCon

2020 happened, meetups went away for a while, and now that they’ve most definitely returned… Many are wondering “where is KeyCon??”. Well, after a break for a few years it's returning (with a few changes)!

Meetups of this size have become too large financially and logistically for individuals to shoulder, so JacobsMirror (who coordinated it for the past few years) approached us (NovelKeys) about taking over the yearly management of KeyCon. We love this community and feel it would be a sad loss if this event ceased to exist, so we are happily taking it on!

So this is a vendor run event now? How does this affect the vibe?
In short? It shouldn’t. We (NovelKeys) have our own annual meetup (The Keyboard Meetup) that is hosted at our HQ, and centered around showing off new/upcoming products. KeyCon won’t be an extension of that. Our aim is still to keep KeyCon about the community and allowing any vendor or maker to have equal representation.

But why?
Venues for large crowds are expensive, signage is expensive, planning is time consuming, and liability causes anxiety. In order for KeyCon to continue on, it made the most sense for it to have some financial backing beyond someone’s personal accounts.

Will NovelKeys be making money off this?
Not at all. Managing and putting on this event will be an operational loss for us. Any ticket sales go directly towards offsetting the various costs incurred to have this event.

Why Salt Lake City, why only 500 tickets, why was there no location voting like in the past?
As mentioned above, hosting an event like this takes a lot of work. With this being the first one under our wing we need to use it as a gauge moving forward. Salt Lake City is my hometown, which will help immensely in planning and logistics. It is also very close to a major airport, benefiting those flying in. If all goes well, we would love to bring back location voting in some aspect.

BREAKOUT SESSIONS - We are planning a variety of breakout sessions during the event. Info on that TBD.

VENDORS/MAKERS - We will have a dedicated site coming shortly that will allow you to reach out for a spot.

SEE YA THERE!

jacobsmirror:
Thank you guys for carrying the torch. Going to be an awesome event!

reggalicious:
So excited to see this coming back, even more excited that it will be in my home town! Can't wait to see everyone there!

LightningXI:
Excited for this; great to see KeyCon back after 4-5 years!

Is the meetup date fixed and set in stone? While I surely expected meetup dates to collide among different regions, I've also heard that one of a significant size is being held in Dallas, TX on the same date. I know this might have a lot of people torn about which one to attend, as I'm sure there'd be people interested in attending both if possible.

In any case, SLC sounds like a great meetup location -- at least for me, who hasn't visited Utah for long before.

mgsickler:

--- Quote from: LightningXI on Tue, 31 October 2023, 11:32:07 ---Excited for this; great to see KeyCon back after 4-5 years!

Is the meetup date fixed and set in stone? While I surely expected meetup dates to collide among different regions, I've also heard that one of a significant size is being held in Dallas, TX on the same date. I know this might have a lot of people torn about which one to attend, as I'm sure there'd be people interested in attending both if possible.

In any case, SLC sounds like a great meetup location -- at least for me, who hasn't visited Utah for long before.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately the date can't be changed. Lots of planning in the background on this, and it was unfortunate that is the same date as another meetup. I do think, though, that there is a good amount of a local scene for both areas though!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version