Author Topic: [IC] E1-2049 TS V1  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Recmvp

[IC] E1-2049 TS V1
« on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 02:50:51 »
Edit: I received some feedback from some people and they suggested that this was more fit for "making stuff together" rather than IC. I will take this design and run with it, but it is clear that I have a few more things to finish up before I can consider it an IC. Because of this please disregard the thread. Once I am able to get some pcb compatibility and workarounds done I will edit this post showing the new results.

Hi guys!

SO, this is my second keyboard design and I wanted to see if I could get some community feedback and possibly some help with bringing this design to life. I finished the base, backplate, and top designs already and I am currently looking for some guidance/ help with designing the pcb and with power/ usb type-c capabilities. If you guys have any questions about it and or would possibly like seeing this get made I would love to hear feedback. Anyways, here are some pictures of E1-2049 TS V1, I hope you all like it!

- Greg "Recmvp"

The key layout is a modified WKL TKL with prt, scroll lock, and pause removed and replaced with the 2x3 below. The space that was once occupied by the 2x3 is now housing a 2.8" touch screen lcd which can be programmed to add multikey function, display data, or art (thats why im worried about power capabilities, with optional removal for a aluminum/brass/PC plack with logo, design, or engraving...

On the back of the board I have 3 locations for usb-c connections with an aluminum or brass back insert to cover the other ports.

Keyboard Angle : 7 degrees

Layout: Modified WKL/TKL

Materials: Ideally 6061 and or 7075, with PC and Brass optional inserts for accents/ weights/ and lcd cover

Connection Type: USB Type-C

Thanks again!!!
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2021, 08:26:56 by Recmvp »

Offline Dr_Bond

Re: [IC] E1-2049 TS V1
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 03:26:53 »
Personally I think it would look better if you just had the top three nav cluster keys as normal and then the lcd screen occupying where the other 6 normally are below it. When you start having too many different bezel sizes it takes away aesthetically and becomes visually messy imo. Looks nice otherwise!
TGR Alice | TGR Matrix 8x V2.0 | Iron165 FE | Prophet

Offline vi0till

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 04:10:28 »
Yeah, second this. Please do consider unified daughterboard for the usb-C.

Personally I think it would look better if you just had the top three nav cluster keys as normal and then the lcd screen occupying where the other 6 normally are below it. When you start having too many different bezel sizes it takes away aesthetically and becomes visually messy imo. Looks nice otherwise!

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 04:24:39 »
This is not an interest check.

Your design is far from being finished and is certainly not going into production like this.
For an interest check the design should be as fleshed out as possible and ideally you would have a prototype on hand.

And before you start thinking about things like what materials the board is made out of or even fancy stuff like multiple USB ports or a touchscreen (how are you even going to implement this? QMK certainly doesn't have support for this and I doubt you are going to write your own firmware for a keyboard) you should figure out the basic things like the overall plate design, mounting style and how the case is assembled.
Right now your board has a basic swillkb plate with apparently no mounting style at all and it's not really clear how the case halves are screwed together.

This thread would fit better in the "Making stuff together" section.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2021, 04:31:14 by elmo »

Offline MoltenKhor

• www.khor.store
    • Khor Store
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 05:14:42 »
This is not the first time I see a display proposal in a keyboard but none of them have never gone to a final product.

Before designing a case I would recommend you to research how to implement this. Power is not a big problem, since this display can't be controlled by QMK you'll need something like a raspberry pi zero that's not power hungry, programming some sort of software with a touch friendly UI for the pi zero and a server-side software for PC that receives inputs from the pi zero and send it to the OS as a keyboard emulator or just basic HID commands. This solution if you'll use a rPi with wifi and use wifi connection, otherwise a usb HUB should be implemented in the keyboard to let both keeb and rPi to be recognised as separate devices.

Also, I see you already designed the display hole on the case, I would probably suggest to scrap this and redo the design when you have a more definitive selection of hardware since there are cables and controllers to keep in mind.

Offline Recmvp

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 08:07:37 »
This is not an interest check.

Your design is far from being finished and is certainly not going into production like this.
For an interest check the design should be as fleshed out as possible and ideally you would have a prototype on hand.

And before you start thinking about things like what materials the board is made out of or even fancy stuff like multiple USB ports or a touchscreen (how are you even going to implement this? QMK certainly doesn't have support for this and I doubt you are going to write your own firmware for a keyboard) you should figure out the basic things like the overall plate design, mounting style and how the case is assembled.
Right now your board has a basic swillkb plate with apparently no mounting style at all and it's not really clear how the case halves are screwed together.

This thread would fit better in the "Making stuff together" section.
My bad Molten and all,

First time posting on this forum and must have gotten a little too excited. QMK compatibility with regards to external features, like a touch screen, is something that I wasn't aware of. I tried reaching out to some other people as to how they design this pcb and didn't receive word back, this is why I thought I would try posting to the forms. As for how the case is screwed together, on the base of the keyboard is 6 tapped holes for T10 screws. As for plate mounting, since I haven't yet designed the pcb I thought I could wait on this. The other keyboard that I designed and built used standoffs to act as supports, however, I didn't design that pcb and bought it from kbdfans. I then later designed the case around the pcb. I'm glad others responded with comments on how to implement a second screen as I can now do more research into how best to implement this feature. Regardless of my apparent features or not, I see that I have to get a prototype finished before I can issue a interest check. Ill work on getting my school cnc running and hopefully will be able to cut one within the next month, assuming I am able to work out the connections issues. In the meantime I will close this thread and delete it!

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 10:06:27 »
broketh images

edit: oof
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2021, 10:17:13 by iinko_mk »
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]