Author Topic: Has anyone tried converting replacement notebook keyboards into PC?  (Read 2456 times)

Offline dante

ebay has a ton of thinkpad scissor switch replacement keyboards for laptops and was curious if anyone thought about converting these for PC use?

Offline Findecanor

Re: Has anyone tried converting replacement notebook keyboards into PC?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 09:22:40 »
It is certainly possible, but you need to reverse-engineer the matrix and use your own keyboard controller. On laptops, the controller is usually on the motherboard -- not included in the keyboard.

By the way, there are lots of cheap low-profile keyboards at very low price out there with USB. There have even been standalone Thinkpad keyboards available for desktop PCs.

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 09:48:37 »
Yes.  I'm actually ordering one of those this weekend.  But I've heard that it doesn't 'feel' like a real thinkpad.  I've read recommendations of putting dynamat on the inside and adding a full rubber mat on the bottom.

So yeah ... I guess I could dig up some specs to see how those keyboards are wired out and then steal a controller out of a dead unit or a $2 rubberdome.

Offline Halvar

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 11:02:57 »
You can only use an existing controller from a cheap keyboard if your thinkpad keyboard has exactly the same matrix logically.

Membrane keyboards can't be rewired like mech keyboards to build some other matrix that a controller requires. If you want to reuse the membrane from the thinkpad keyboard, then in most cases you'll need a programmable controller like a teensy.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 03:57:51 »
The only thing I like laptop keyboards for is donor plastic. It fixes broken Model M barrel frames quite well. I wonder what else I can fix with them...

Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 05:49:40 »
As a long-term user of several laptops - I had to due to life style - I assure you, you don't want the "technology" of laptop keyboards to infiltrate desktops, especially those new flat ones.

In fact I have developed the idea of the 'mobile desktop'; it's basically a notebook without a mousepad and a keyboard with a perhaps shorter but thicker front so one can also put an external keyboard closer to it. [without the crippled technology of tablets]

Yeah.. I don't believe there's a point in not connecting a mouse and a keyboard to a laptop. And actually using a laptop on the road is quite a niche for the majority of people. Most of the time it's not used as a laptop but as a mobile desktop. [and the weight of a keyboard and mouse is negligible and they fit in a carrying case easily]
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 05:54:37 by fateswarm »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:55:38 »
Logitech sells scissor switch keyboards, look into the Illuminated.

I kind of agree with Fateswarm.
Chicklet style is terrible, as is the overall flatness, but the bigger issue is durability. Those switches, while durable long term time-wise, are extremely fragile if anything is dropped on them or simply hitting them hard. I work on lots of laptops and I see busted keys constantly.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion