Author Topic: [IC] GMK WoB Colevrak  (Read 32482 times)

Offline forumusername

Re: [IC] GMK WoB Colevrak
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 07:36:08 »
Hi jagger this is a really awesome kit and I would like to see it succeed in the GB stage. My idea: so I'm running a GMK set that uses the same colours as this and if you want I think we can arrange with GMK to produce the 2 set in parallel and get the moq for this set lowered to 100 (maybe even lower) instead of the standard 150 units ;) the set is going to GB in 2 weeks from now

what do you think?
Hell yeah

Offline Obamas Mama

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 10:34:20 »
I think that would be a fantastic idea

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 13:54:32 »
BTW, did anyone realize the GMK Pulse has a Colevrak kit with Mod DH support? It’s on Drop for another few days if anyone’s interested.

I bought in and it’s not cheap. You have been warned.

Offline pheonix991

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 23:12:17 »
If it didn't look like Dell keycaps, I'd be down...

Offline MinaDarsh

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 15:05:22 »
Very, very interested in this as well!

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 22:36:33 »
Finna flex this with that fire rama WoB artisan

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 07:00:07 »
I saw that the wob hiragana GB started yesterday. Was there any luck in getting this kit run at the same time?

Offline briano1905

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 21:54:05 »
I saw that the wob hiragana GB started yesterday. Was there any luck in getting this kit run at the same time?

No unfortunately I haven't heard anything from the GB runner :(

Offline MinaDarsh

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 06:41:53 »
Hmm, it's been quiet for a while with this project. Any news whatsoever?

This is on hold for now. I haven't found a vendor and don't want to run it myself. I would definitely add as much exotic layout support as possible, so keep the suggestions coming!

Have you messaged yet to vendors like https://novelkeys.xyz/ (North America), https://mykeyboard.eu/ (Europe) and https://dailyclack.com/ (Asia / Oceanic)? (Yes, copied this from Hiragana, but it's nice to have them available world-wide.)

Edit: keyclack.com might also be an option.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 August 2019, 06:57:54 by MinaDarsh »

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 10:18:33 »

Oh ****! Please please please run this. Don't wait for my permission!

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 12:07:36 »

Oh ****! Please please please run this. Don't wait for my permission!
Mad respect  :thumb: :thumb: colemak bois looking out for each other in this world of qwerty

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 22:42:26 »
A summary of layouts covered by some of the expanded Colevrak kits, sometimes called Colevrak+ or Typist.

Images of each layout covered by this Non-QWERTY kit:

More
- QWERTY

More
- Dvorak

More
- programmer's Dvorak

More
- Colemak

More
- Colemak DH

More
- Colemak DHm

More
- Workman

More
- Norman

More
- Carpalx QGMLWY

More
- QWPR

More
RH + LH Dvorak support requires 20 additional unique keycaps.  Way too many.

- Why aren't RH & LH Dvorak included in this Non-QWERTY kit?

29 September 2019 edit: added Colevrak vs Colevrak+ image
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2019, 17:42:23 by dvorcol »

Offline harlekein

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 03:21:55 »
Excellent overview dvorcol! You're a hero!

So, the default QWERTY keys no one needs are:

R2: E I O
R3: F J L ;
R4: N

To be honest, I expect this to be a few more. These are 8 keys in total.

For the Colevrak kit, we could consider the Pulse GMK Colevrak kit, which is getting made. This means we have the molds for 33 keys already. The only layout not yet covered by that is Carpalx QGMLWY. I believe that one would require one more standard and one more homing key, but I could be wrong.

A regular alphas kit contains 47 keys.

If we produce a comprehensive Colevrak alphas kit we would need 47 - 8 + 33 = 88 keys in total. This is not taking into account multiple homing key versions.

I would love go get a quote and MOQ on such a kit from GMK on this in several neutral colors, such as WOB, BOW, N9/U9.

Personally I would definitely go for N9/U9 and/or BOW.

The reason I prefer this over just an addon kit is that it really frees us up to use a full alpha set on a combination of modifiers.

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 08:43:13 »
had this idea the other day. wondering if it's as much of a trouble for gmk to swap the colorway as the key molds or if it's significantly easier. do they need to clean or adjust the molds for the keys colorway to colorway?

bc if not, wouldn't it make sense to try and running multiple colorways while the machine is prepped for a colevrak run. offer a colevrak kit for a lot of popular sets that didn't offer one or didn't reach moq? then instead of trying to hit something like 50 or 100 of BoW colevrak sets we could try and hit 300-500 colevrak kits across a dozen or so colorways; treating them all as one pooled set. maybe make sure theres at least like 20 or so requests for a specific colorway.

what do you guys think of that? could you ask gmk if that would work?

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 09:26:04 »
Would also love a colevrak kit for 9009. I've asked the IC runner but it doesn't look good.

Offline Nvmbra

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 10:15:12 »
had this idea the other day. wondering if it's as much of a trouble for gmk to swap the colorway as the key molds or if it's significantly easier. do they need to clean or adjust the molds for the keys colorway to colorway?

bc if not, wouldn't it make sense to try and running multiple colorways while the machine is prepped for a colevrak run. offer a colevrak kit for a lot of popular sets that didn't offer one or didn't reach moq? then instead of trying to hit something like 50 or 100 of BoW colevrak sets we could try and hit 300-500 colevrak kits across a dozen or so colorways; treating them all as one pooled set. maybe make sure theres at least like 20 or so requests for a specific colorway.

what do you guys think of that? could you ask gmk if that would work?

That would be extremely inefficient and the sets would cost a lot, like a lot more than they normally would.

The MOQ of 150/250 covers the quote, setup cost and packaging for a set in one colorway besides the keycaps.
There's a reason the price only gets reduced when more sets of the same colorway get sold. By your logic every set that uses the same molds again(i.e. Alphas) should get cheaper for every new GMK set that is made.
I asked them about something similar and they told me they can do lower MOQs but the production cost will be distributed evenly on the amount of sets that are going to be made. Even if you used the same molds these production costs would need to paid again for each colorway.

Additionally hitting 300-500 sets seems unrealistic when Colevrak sets struggle to hit MOQ almost every time and it's often the same people buying them. Offering more colorways would probably lower the number of each set even further because you could simply get the colorways you like instead of those more likely to hit MOQ and actually get made.
And I don't see ten people willing to pay for one set that would basically cost 25 sets for a Colevrak set in custom colors when they could just pay for 25 sets and get 25 sets instead.

So sadly, no  :(

Maybe in the future. The hobby is growing and GMK will probably accomodate for that, they're currently working on new tooling to be released next year  ;)

Offline equalunique

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 11:34:37 »
Would also love a colevrak kit for 9009. I've asked the IC runner but it doesn't look good.
I too have been hoping for a Colevrak kit that's 9009-compatible/retro CR black on L9 beige

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 20:56:31 »
Any status on this? My pockets are gettin heavy xD

Offline MinaDarsh

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 06:13:27 »
Any status on this? My pockets are gettin heavy xD

Wondering this as well, actually really hoping for this so, anything the OP can tell us? ;D

(Any luck with finding proxies?)

Offline psxndc

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 10:48:06 »
GMK WoB is back up on Drop but I can't justify getting it until I know this IC will become a reality. Any update?
Ortho. Always.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 10:59:50 »
GMK WoB is back up on Drop but I can't justify getting it until I know this IC will become a reality. Any update?

Here is my post from 2 months ago when drop ran GMK WoB last: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100325.msg2783288#msg2783288

I guess my point I'm trying to make is that you can sit out on the drop GMK WoB because it will probably run again before this gb ever becomes a thing, if it ever becomes a thing.

Offline nuclear_wizard

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 12:03:29 »

Here is my post from 2 months ago when drop ran GMK WoB last: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100325.msg2783288#msg2783288

I guess my point I'm trying to make is that you can sit out on the drop GMK WoB because it will probably run again before this gb ever becomes a thing, if it ever becomes a thing.

Yeah, I'm thinking it might be a good idea for someone a bit more active in the community (i.e. involved in running GBs) to reach out to the designer to see if they mind someone else taking it over. I think the best shot this had at running was missed when briano was willing to let this set jump on with his WoB set GB, and I'm more than a little salty that opportunity was missed.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 03:13:36 »
I am still more interested in a full alphas kit in something like N9 or BoW. I could start a poll or something.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 03:19:49 »
I'd be interested in a BoW set if it also had Colevrak. N9 is not my jam.
Ortho. Always.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 07:18:49 »
I am still more interested in a full alphas kit in something like N9 or BoW. I could start a poll or something.
Check out the new DDolch IC. I'd link you to it, but Tapatalk messes up links. It has N9 alphas.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline harlekein

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 06:42:54 »
Check out the new DDolch IC. I'd link you to it, but Tapatalk messes up links. It has N9 alphas.
But no Colevrak, so that doesn't really help.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 21:29:46 »

Yeah, I'm thinking it might be a good idea for someone a bit more active in the community (i.e. involved in running GBs) to reach out to the designer to see if they mind someone else taking it over. I think the best shot this had at running was missed when briano was willing to let this set jump on with his WoB set GB, and I'm more than a little salty that opportunity was missed.

I wasn't aware of this. Got a link re: missed opportunity?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 21:41:51 »

I wasn't aware of this. Got a link re: missed opportunity?

I think this is what you are looking for:

Hi jagger this is a really awesome kit and I would like to see it succeed in the GB stage. My idea: so I'm running a GMK set that uses the same colours as this and if you want I think we can arrange with GMK to produce the 2 set in parallel and get the moq for this set lowered to 100 (maybe even lower) instead of the standard 150 units ;) the set is going to GB in 2 weeks from now

what do you think?

I think the subject GB was briano1905's GMK WoB Hiragana.

Offline Obamas Mama

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 07:15:49 »
Ya... Does anybody know anybody that will actually run this? I'm sick of waiting 5 months for no answer.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 10:35:18 »
I'd be interested in trying to run BoW full alpha Colevrak kit. That way you could use it with a number of sets.

If there is interested, OP is cool with it, I can start a new thread and get a quote from GMK.

I have no experience running a GB, but would seek help with experienced runners and proxies.

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 11:02:13 »
There have been a lot of add on sets recently for WoB, BoW, 9009. I would be interested in Colevrak sets for for more than just WoB. Perhaps you can gauge interest via a poll that would help determine if it would be beneficial to run multiple color options at once.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 11:35:30 »
I'd be interested in trying to run BoW full alpha Colevrak kit. That way you could use it with a number of sets.

There have been a lot of add on sets recently for WoB, BoW, 9009. I would be interested in Colevrak sets for for more than just WoB. Perhaps you can gauge interest via a poll that would help determine if it would be beneficial to run multiple color options at once.

I personally would be fine with either a full Colevrak alpha set of BoW or a GB with Colevrak in multiple color sets. Not having a Colevrak option pretty much guarantees I won't buy a GMK set, which is a shame because there's been a couple that I really liked but couldn't justify, e.g., Crimson Cadet, 8008. The tough part is picking which color sets to run.
Ortho. Always.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 12:26:12 »

I personally would be fine with either a full Colevrak alpha set of BoW or a GB with Colevrak in multiple color sets. Not having a Colevrak option pretty much guarantees I won't buy a GMK set, which is a shame because there's been a couple that I really liked but couldn't justify, e.g., Crimson Cadet, 8008. The tough part is picking which color sets to run.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. It sucks, but it also saves me some money for sure lol. I'm at the point where I buy every gmk set that has colemak, and never buy a gmk set if it doesn't

Offline psxndc

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 12:39:04 »
I know - I called you out in the GMK Toxic IC for *not* asking for a Colevrak option.  :p
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2019, 12:40:39 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 12:46:29 »
i think like wob/bow korean we run two colors and more down the line depending on how it goes, but i think running L9/CR over bow is smarter bc more ppl have 9009 that minimal, i think.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 14:40:30 »
Personally I just don't like WoB because it looks like a generic Logitech keyboard. But yeah, we can run a poll and contact GMK for quotes and MOQ on both.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 15:16:43 »
I'd also like to see it in L9/CR but I understand why WoB is also a decent choice.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 21:09:33 »
I'd also like to see it in L9/CR but I understand why WoB is also a decent choice.
I'm all for L9/CR, and 9009 R3 is in GB right now, so it might prompt me to get a set.

But maybe someone should start another IC/GB thread for that...?

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 22:24:28 »
I'm all for L9/CR, and 9009 R3 is in GB right now, so it might prompt me to get a set.

The OP is showing WoB: light legends (WS1) on dark base (CR).  Does L9/CR mean dark legends (CR) on light base (L9)?

Offline harlekein

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 02:12:17 »
CR on L9 would be good for me as well.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 02:52:21 »
I know it's just my opinion, but CR on L9 couldn't be more boring to me. WoB colevrak was pushing it as is (the person saying it looks like a Dell isn't wrong), but I was willing to support it because it's Colevrak. CR on L9 is a bridge too far - reminds me of my 1995 Gateway 2000 computer and that's not where I'm at today. Sorry if that's ****ish.
Ortho. Always.

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 09:25:34 »
Would also be in for CR on L9 to go with currently running 9009 GB.

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 12:00:03 »
i messaged the person running the WoB 40s kit, and he seems open to running our WoB colevrak kit. If he runs it and it goes well perhaps we could talk him into doing a CR/L9 colevrak kit. And a stand-alone alpha kit would be cool, but i'd have to be a colorway that compliments multiple sets and neutral colors seem to be the only way to go.

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 12:59:28 »
he's agreed to add the WoB colevrak kit to his gb!!! We in business bois!!!!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102335.0
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 September 2019, 13:02:38 by CodeMayhem »

Offline harlekein

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 16:59:59 »

Very cool. Will this mean full alpha kit or require WoB base?

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #95 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 19:54:01 »

Very cool. Will this mean full alpha kit or require WoB base?

I told him the to use the colevrak kit from the gmk pulse kit, it has full coverage for all alt layouts, he said he was gonna update his ic late tonight or tomorrow. If we do try to organize a full alpha kit I think it should be something like cr/2b v1/L9 or v4/cp something with some pop but still neutral.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 10:21:58 »
Anyone interested in running the Colevrak+ kit in dvorcol's summary for other SA keysets? E.g. for SA Yuri, whose GB is about to open.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2019, 10:24:42 by hhkbp2 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 11:21:02 »
You should want to run a poll to get a feeling on demand. Yet, only actual buy may get the actual number.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 06:06:43 »
CR on L9 would be good for me as well.

Would also be in for CR on L9 to go with currently running 9009 GB.

I've voiced support for CR an L9 Colevrak before & will do it again.  ;D Need to 'fix' my 9009 kits.

Anyone interested in running the Colevrak+ kit in dvorcol's summary for other SA keysets? E.g. for SA Yuri, whose GB is about to open.

Colevrak for SA Yuri would be amazing. Kinda wish it was offered since that GB already has some other very-niche kits. Not sure if I could run a GB since I've never done it before, although I do have a shipping/recieving storage unit that could be pretty handy for sorting boxes.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 06:13:46 »

Honestly, I was going to get Cosmos kit if it was Cyrillic instead of dual legend. IMO it doesn't even look good and automatically excludes alternative layouts.

The fact that there is no Colevrak kit at all while it's running on Drop just shows Tombery has no interest catering to alternative layouts. For non Drop GB's, especially GMK, I comletely understand not including it, but when it runs on Drop there's really no reason not to.

No way am I going to support that.