Author Topic: Can Topre switches be customized with lubrication or other related methods?  (Read 3204 times)

Offline fateswarm

I wonder if the technology while good, lacks the customization of MX switches. e.g. I despise how browns sound like searching in a LEGO bag when mashed, but lubing them with high viscosity oils they become more 'thock'y.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
They don't need lubrication. Essentially, MX switches spend their lives trying to attain the level of oneness that Topre switches inherently already have.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
The left ctrl on every RF board I've ever owned has been lubed.  It feels exactly the same as all the other switches on the board (that is smooth as ish).
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
I wonder if the technology while good, lacks the customization of MX switches. e.g. I despise how browns sound like searching in a LEGO bag when mashed, but lubing them with high viscosity oils they become more 'thock'y.

Why would you mess with perfection? 

Now, if you want the ultimate "thock", get a keyboard with silenced Topre switches, especially a plate mounted RealForce.  The best "thock" in the world is found on the RF 87U variable silent.  Be forewarned however, that you may never want to go near an MX brown switch again, after experiencing it.

If you want the best 65% keyboard with great "thock", then get an HHKB Pro 2 Type-S.

If you want the greatest bargain Topre keyboard of all time, get the Leopold FC660 (if you can find one).  However, with the FC660, you will not get silenced Topre switches, just "regular" Topre switches.  Which are still awesome.  However, you will not get the ultimate thock.  You get the "thock-click" of the unsilenced Topre switches, which is still better than any MX switch.  And I like MX switches, don't get me wrong, it's just that Topre are better.  And silenced Topre switches are better still.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline fateswarm

Why would you mess with perfection? 

Now, if you want the ultimate "thock", get a keyboard with silenced Topre switches, especially a plate mounted RealForce.  The best "thock" in the world is found on the RF 87U variable silent.  Be forewarned however, that you may never want to go near an MX brown switch again, after experiencing it.

If you want the best 65% keyboard with great "thock", then get an HHKB Pro 2 Type-S.

If you want the greatest bargain Topre keyboard of all time, get the Leopold FC660 (if you can find one).  However, with the FC660, you will not get silenced Topre switches, just "regular" Topre switches.  Which are still awesome.  However, you will not get the ultimate thock.  You get the "thock-click" of the unsilenced Topre switches, which is still better than any MX switch.  And I like MX switches, don't get me wrong, it's just that Topre are better.  And silenced Topre switches are better still.
But why do I find Leopold FC660 always sounding better in all youtube videos? It's always a deeper stronger sound.

Though I guess, it could be a matter of not being irritated yet by it from long term use.

Or the recording/playback technologies may not reflect realities.

I doubt its easy to reproduce steel plate vibrations.