Author Topic: Dug out dat PS3  (Read 5384 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Dug out dat PS3
« on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 23:04:58 »
From the basement.

PS3 was way BEFORE Tp4 had calibrated TV,

Games look so much better now.   It's also nice that TVs properly support FULL 0-255 RGB input these days.

Back in the day Tp played with crushed black lvls and messed up highlight detail.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Dug out dat PS3
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 23:43:00 »
Not even low key my fav console.
Neo Geo AES has my heart, but logically I know the PS3 is superior in every way and in every way to most other consoles.
Right off the bat PS3 is basically the king of audio for any console, able to pump out 7.1 uncompressed lossless audio. Take that it can play PS1, PS2(if you got a fat boy,) and PS3 games, is completely region free for PS3 titles so you can pop in that Japan exclusive without doing anything, and to top it all off plays blu rays. I mean come on. The PS4 literally does like half the **** it's predecessor could. Best console ever.

If you wanna max your PS3 quality I recommend getting a Marseille mCable which actually improves anti aliasing and draw distance. I know it sounds insane that a video cable can do this, but it is actual black magic. Then swap in a 1Tb SSD which will noticeably improve boot and some load times as well as giving you much needed storage. And keep it cool, apply new thermal paste to an older one because the factory stuff they used was very cheap and will dead your console if it is dry and gets too hot.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 March 2021, 23:48:24 by noisyturtle »

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 02:20:37 »
i thought the PS3 still had the same analog output as the ps1 and 2? so no hdr or any of that malarkey...
although sony at the time of the ps3 was still rather well reputed in the audio field and their console had a little history of pretty much being the best [generation's media support] player that consumer could buy, by the ps4 that high end audio reputation had mostly faded and the ps4 was no longer best in class either, they cut corners in a major way...
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 05:54:39 »
they were losing their shirts on this machine. 

These heatsinks

So heat pipes.

264297-0
264299-1

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 06:17:11 »
Should Tp buy God of war saga ? worth it ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 06:20:37 »
i thought the PS3 still had the same analog output as the ps1 and 2? so no hdr or any of that malarkey...
although sony at the time of the ps3 was still rather well reputed in the audio field and their console had a little history of pretty much being the best [generation's media support] player that consumer could buy, by the ps4 that high end audio reputation had mostly faded and the ps4 was no longer best in class either, they cut corners in a major way...

In theory, Ps3 is at the point where it has the hookups to do something like HDR (in games, not movies) if they wanted to, but of course they don't want to.

Ps3 supports 1080p xvcolor. Though we don't know if it's 10/12 or 16 bits,  but the 12/16 probably includes alpha channels, so it's most likely 10bit at most.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 10:10:41 »
This sixaxis controller

What a joy to lube.

Counting at least 38 Lubrication points..  Especially the trigger, it needs a huge smoot over.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 14:25:36 »
This sixaxis controller

What a joy to lube.

Counting at least 38 Lubrication points..  Especially the trigger, it needs a huge smoot over.

how do you lube it and what does a lubed Sixaxis feel like?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 14:57:05 »
Lubed, the Trigger becomes smoother, especially good for racing games,  for a fighting game it wouldn't make a difference. 

There's actually quite alot of friction because the surface finish of the steel pin isn't perfect, and it grinds up against the side of the housing a bit as well.

Also the very top of the silicone buttons, you want to lube that, or the plastic part that touches it. Without lube, it pulls down on the button unevenly. In the picture the visible one is L1, the L2 of the trigger is beneath.

You want to lube the top of the silicone buttons for all the of them except start/select/ps

Gotta be careful taking it apart though, very delicate part. especially the ribbons connecting it.

There's a tiny spring on the Thinner clasp side, easy to lose.

Tp usn' 205 grease

264311-0

264313-1

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 15:05:20 »
Lubed, the Trigger becomes smoother, especially good for racing games,  for a fighting game it wouldn't make a difference. 

There's actually quite alot of friction because the surface finish of the steel pin isn't perfect, and it grinds up against the side of the housing a bit as well.

Also the very top of the silicone buttons, you want to lube that, or the plastic part that touches it. Without lube, it pulls down on the button unevenly. In the picture the visible one is L1, the L2 of the trigger is beneath.

You want to lube the top of the silicone buttons for all the of them except start/select/ps

Gotta be careful taking it apart though, very delicate part. especially the ribbons connecting it.

There's a tiny spring on the Thinner clasp side, easy to lose.

Tp usn' 205 grease

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

gonna give this a try on one of them. I wonder if I can reduce the stick travel as well, one of the issues I always took w/ Sony controllers  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 15:13:36 »
also make sure you guys watch this video,  There's a guy on youtube doing it WRONG. 

This one is correct,  remember the spring goes on the Smaller thinner hook side. and it goes under.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 19:57:55 »
Must have been easy to clean out

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 13 March 2021, 06:33:11 »
Had to take my sweatshirt off, Ps3 generates So Much Heat, 90nm version

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 10:36:19 »
Reminds me, I gotta repaste my PS3.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 11:05:11 »

Just finished doin' mine this mornin'

No wonder they were losing their shirts on the Launch OG Phat ps3.

Engineer, I know how make m0ar xpensive, let's do ROUND, Yeet

264440-0
264442-1
264444-2

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 11:49:12 »

Just finished doin' mine this mornin'

No wonder they were losing their shirts on the Launch OG Phat ps3.

Engineer, I know how make m0ar xpensive, let's do ROUND, Yeet

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
That's some sick cooling right there.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 12:26:27 »
180 watt idle .

~190-215 watt during Ridge Racer (native 1080p game)

~180-200 watt during Ninja Gaiden (not native 1080p despite 1080p output)

Phat ps3 is a furnace.  No wonder they kept xplodn' on people.  What a chonkster

It seems to have a ~380watt powersupply , so they cut it at ~200 to stay within its highest efficiency band.   Makes sense.

So really, ps3 is a terrible AV player, because of how loud it is.. hahahaha

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 16:31:51 »
180 watt idle .

~190-215 watt during Ridge Racer (native 1080p game)

~180-200 watt during Ninja Gaiden (not native 1080p despite 1080p output)

Phat ps3 is a furnace.  No wonder they kept xplodn' on people.  What a chonkster

Show Image

It seems to have a ~380watt powersupply , so they cut it at ~200 to stay within its highest efficiency band.   Makes sense.

So really, ps3 is a terrible AV player, because of how loud it is.. hahahaha

yeah the fat boy is loud and hot

There is a 3rd party fan controller, I got one but never installed it so can't vouch for it yet. The noise on the  fats are an issue though, they can spin REAL high. The Super Slim is the 'silent' model so to speak. Somehow has a smaller fan and runs cooler at the same time.

You COULD run it w/o the cover, we used to do that for testing since the lab turns into a damn oven w/ 30+ fat PS3's humming away.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 March 2021, 16:35:16 by noisyturtle »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 17:29:08 »
Hrrrm... Should  get the Fan controller then ? what if the controller fails. LOL

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 18:16:31 »
Ok, wth, that' fan (accelerator) module costs more than Adding more fans to the PS3 ??

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 18:33:05 »
Ok, wth, that' fan (accelerator) module costs more than Adding more fans to the PS3 ??

this is what it is, you might find one on eBay but it was like $9
https://www.amazon.com/Chill-PS3-Cooling-Fan-Controller-Mod/dp/B00P0LI0ZG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ps3+ez+chill&qid=1615764744&sr=8-1

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 19:36:58 »

this is what it is, you might find one on eBay but it was like $9
https://www.amazon.com/Chill-PS3-Cooling-Fan-Controller-Mod/dp/B00P0LI0ZG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ps3+ez+chill&qid=1615764744&sr=8-1

Yea, they're all from the UK on ebay, and they're $30-35+

Offline yui

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 07:17:24 »

There is a 3rd party fan controller, I got one but never installed it so can't vouch for it yet. The noise on the  fats are an issue though, they can spin REAL high. The Super Slim is the 'silent' model so to speak. Somehow has a smaller fan and runs cooler at the same time.

You COULD run it w/o the cover, we used to do that for testing since the lab turns into a damn oven w/ 30+ fat PS3's humming away.
the original fat PS3 is the only PS3 that have full hardware for PS1 and 2 games as far as i know, all the others are only emulating in software. so you are running a ps1, a ps2 and a ps3 all at once, could explain the power, and noise.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 07:26:53 »
That' can't be how it works ?

Ps1 is a simulation within a simulation ?

Offline yui

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 07:41:04 »
so i read a bit more and depending on the version, some used a full ps2 hardware, Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer, while some only have the Graphics Synthesizer with an emulated EE, and a 3rd category had neither, and i am only talking for the fat PS3, the slim never had any ps2 compatibility from what i read.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 08:59:51 »

the original fat PS3 is the only PS3 that have full hardware for PS1 and 2 games as far as i know, all the others are only emulating in software. so you are running a ps1, a ps2 and a ps3 all at once, could explain the power, and noise.
Actually to further clarify, only the Fat 60 and 80GB models had backwards compatibility, the 20 and 40 were not able to play older physical disc titles.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 10:02:00 »
You know, actually think Sony may have already increased the PS3 fat's default fan speed.   It seems (Louder) than I remember.    I know it's definitely not from wear/tear, because i really didn't play it all that much, it's very low hours in the low 300-400s hundreds.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 10:05:09 »

Actually to further clarify, only the Fat 60 and 80GB models had backwards compatibility, the 20 and 40 were not able to play older physical disc titles.

My ps3 is the 90nm launch fat 20gb, it has the full ps2 chip.

Later revisions removed it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 16:10:33 »

All PS3 models can play PS1 discs. All have the software to run PS2 games, which is why you can digital dl them, but lack the correct cd drive to play them. It was the multi cd eyes that were very expensive to produce, and Sony saw no point in continuing to support a dead system. PS1 games cost them nothing because the cd type can be read by any cd player eye so they left both software capabilities on all future models. So they can all emulate PS2 w/ software, just not read the discs.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 March 2021, 16:15:19 by noisyturtle »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 19:54:12 »
Team Ninja blatently lied about 1080p 60fps on Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

The upscale looks like trash compared to output in native 720p. Everything's all blurred out

Native 720p
264493-0

1080p Output
264495-1

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 08:02:00 »

All PS3 models can play PS1 discs. All have the software to run PS2 games, which is why you can digital dl them, but lack the correct cd drive to play them. It was the multi cd eyes that were very expensive to produce, and Sony saw no point in continuing to support a dead system. PS1 games cost them nothing because the cd type can be read by any cd player eye so they left both software capabilities on all future models. So they can all emulate PS2 w/ software, just not read the discs.

Guess you missed my "Physical Disc" statement.  I never said they couldn't play digital downloads of the titles.

Offline yui

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 08:23:10 »
from what i read yesterday it actually is the 20 and 60GB that had the capability to read the ps2 disk, and the 60GB lost it after an update, as i never owned a ps3 because of all the backward incompatibility malarkey, i can only say from 2nd hand information, never tried a ps2 disk on a 80GB ps3, or 20GB

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 08:55:31 »
I never noticed if I ever lost it on my 60GB when I had it, but I was pissed about losing the dual boot option we had that Sony decided that no one needed after years of having it.  Also once it got closer to the launch of the PS4 my 60GB decided to YLOD on me - so I ended up selling it off for $150 (the guy who bought repaired the issue as well).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 09:07:19 »
I never noticed if I ever lost it on my 60GB when I had it, but I was pissed about losing the dual boot option we had that Sony decided that no one needed after years of having it.  Also once it got closer to the launch of the PS4 my 60GB decided to YLOD on me - so I ended up selling it off for $150 (the guy who bought repaired the issue as well).

YLOD's no biggie, capacitor swap.

But people say fan mod can prevent it ?,  but imho, because they're electrolytic caps, YLOD is inevitable, so meh..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 09:23:06 »
Good News,

Ps3 outputs  proper 4:4:4 chroma in both 720p and 1080p mode.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 10:17:39 »

YLOD's no biggie, capacitor swap.

But people say fan mod can prevent it ?,  but imho, because they're electrolytic caps, YLOD is inevitable, so meh..

In the case of mine it wasn't a cap issue at that time, ended up being a re-paste and it was good.  But at that time I was more invested in my desktops and PS4, I'm sure I can find one of my slims to play some God o' War goodness (Even though I love the last one played on my PS4 Pro - I do not plan on ditching this one).  I do need to dig out my JP Dreamcast (region locked to Japan).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 13:53:25 »
Good News,

Ps3 outputs  proper 4:4:4 chroma in both 720p and 1080p mode.

I'd be interested to see tp review an M-cable and your thoughts on the differences it makes visually

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 14:24:25 »
I think the Mcable does a good job overall.   

It alter saturation and contrast to achieve that wow effect for the buyers.  For purists this would be considered distortion, you're re-coloring the game.   

For a more native approach, you'd do the post processing AA, but ONLY apply gamma correction, leaving the rest of it untouched.

Have they made a version where it's got user tuning options ?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 14:32:56 »
I think the Mcable does a good job overall.   

It alter saturation and contrast to achieve that wow effect for the buyers.  For purists this would be considered distortion, you're re-coloring the game.   

For a more native approach, you'd do the post processing AA, but ONLY apply gamma correction, leaving the rest of it untouched.

Have they made a version where it's got user tuning options ?

hmm I've tested it side-by-side with other units not using it and the color saturation doesn't change at all and only seems to affect shadows, lighting, sharpness, and draw distance. It doesn't affect color from what I can see.

I asked them once if they ever plan on improving their current version but they said not at the time. The main issue is it drops signals when it thinks the device powers off, so any game with extended black screens or when you first boot it up, you'll need to reseat the USB part of the cable which is annoying.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 14:39:09 »
hmm I've tested it side-by-side with other units not using it and the color saturation doesn't change at all and only seems to affect shadows, lighting, sharpness, and draw distance. It doesn't affect color from what I can see.

I asked them once if they ever plan on improving their current version but they said not at the time. The main issue is it drops signals when it thinks the device powers off, so any game with extended black screens or when you first boot it up, you'll need to reseat the USB part of the cable which is annoying.

If you're into post,  There's the Lumagen, and also the upcoming highly anticipated Madvr Envy.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 15:26:20 »
Ps3 also haz Initial D to give you that JDM feels.

264539-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 23:02:16 »
Playing ID at home, you realize how ridiculously P2Win the arcade version is..

Basically:

You see the peeps at the arcade, they look like they're way better drivers, NOT REALLY, their cars just have way better handling-upgrades than the stock cars without paying for the initial d cards.   The stock cars basically are gliding on ice.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 10:36:34 »

(Attachment Link)

I think I still have that and the phone/keyfob as well.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 10:39:39 »

(Attachment Link)

I think I still have that and the phone/keyfob as well.

Yea, got it from playasia , holy crap, 13 years ago.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 11:13:53 »
I got a sealed copy from eBay about the same time frame (there was no store where I was living to get it at the time - on an island 30miles off Cape Cod, MA)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 19 March 2021, 21:31:48 »
Got god'o'war saga.

It's weird, 1 and 2 seems to render in a (windowboxed) black border box, sooooo is it reallllly 1080p

GDI is this that stupid sony cheater scaling again ? 

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 00:34:51 »
Got god'o'war saga.

It's weird, 1 and 2 seems to render in a (windowboxed) black border box, sooooo is it reallllly 1080p

GDI is this that stupid sony cheater scaling again ? 

Show Image

because 1and2 are just upscaled PS2 games, not remakes or remasters

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 06:50:41 »
because 1and2 are just upscaled PS2 games, not remakes or remasters

upscaled from 480p ? so it's running 480 ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 09:11:28 »
Kratos, not a very nice guy. Hrrrmrmmm..

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 20 March 2021, 09:18:56 »
Kratos, not a very nice guy. Hrrrmrmmm..
No? Was he supposed to be? :D