Author Topic: Is geekhack becoming less popular?  (Read 8951 times)

Offline Benitone

Is geekhack becoming less popular?
« on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 02:38:26 »
It seems to me that the activity on gh has drastically slowed down, and that this is just a drop.com doppelgänger.

All the nice images are posted on Reddit, and all the development is happening on deskthority.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Is geekhack becoming less popular?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 03:09:42 »
mech-key is on the out phase.

it's like yomega,  comes and goes ..

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 06:04:59 »

mechkeebs are a trend for most gamers... they come and go.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 06:26:58 »
Mechanical keyboards are not "out". On the contrary, they have been mainstream among the gaming crowd for some time. Too mainstream for the majority of mech users to hang around on a niche forum such as this.
But a some years ago, yes there was a large influx of new users for a while.

Reddit is for kids with more money than attention span.
I haven't noticed a surge of development activity on Deskthority.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 September 2019, 06:30:24 by Findecanor »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 07:04:10 »

not even close, they're bigger than ever right now.

geekhack is just dated

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 07:37:03 »
For the record, I new post was on display at the spy listing for less than 15 minutes after a bump. These days, a post may stay on display for almost an hour. It is anecdotal but the observation reveals less traffic and posting overall. Maybe a proxy to measure popularity of the site.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 09:38:35 »
Geekhack, it seems to me, is of an earlier time when mechanical keyboards were less well-known, and more of a 'niche' hobby.

You had people getting excited about SP or GMK producing basic sets, and many of the first real good GBs were set up here. GH created a number of things that are taken for granted now, like Moogle kits and so on.

But it's from a time when Cherry switches weren't necessarily considered 'standard,' as many of the keyboard users here had no intention to move away from buckling springs, Topre, Matias, or more obscure keyboards that are no longer made. 'Mechanical Keyboard' on GeekHack meant just that: a mechanical that is just as likely a Model F as a Cherry MX Red.

But mechanical keyboards took off in a big way in the last 5 or so years, and for the huge influx of new users, "mechanical keyboard" means "RGB MX Gaming Keyboard." The explosion of MX and clones enlarged the subgroup of actual Cherry enthusiasts, which is a large part of what the Reddit group represents.

So the new wave is Cherry-inspired, it derives from the popularity of MX and the burgeoning clones. A number of them own BS keyboards for cred, and the hardcore know a lot about the classic designs, but the hobby is really now about customizing Cherry.

So GH belongs to an earlier era, before mechanical keyboards reached mass-market acceptance, when people were still excited they could get Dolch and Olivetti, or modernization keycaps for their old sets.

As someone who became involved in all this a year-ago, it was clear to me that 90% of the action was on Reddit. I still found GH links because they come up when you search for things, but I think most people are going to Reddit to ask their questions. The bulletin-board format is considered outdated compared to Reddit, and now Discord, so it increases the 'niche' aspect of GH.

GH is kind of like a storied old library that contains many interesting texts somewhat forgotten, where people still go to get access to certain materials that aren't found elsewhere. And there's a group of dedicated volunteers (group buys) performing a community service that brings people to the library. And Reddit is a giant bazaar where everyone is going, where people proudly display their keyboards and stuff.

I think it's kind of sad that keyboard discussion is divided up among various websites, but they represent different times at which different groups of people coalesced. And the Reddit group does seem like a place where people mostly post pictures of their keyboards instead of engaging in finer discussion. The discussion of specifics has moved to Discord, where it's become little societies. So that's where it's at right now.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 10:16:59 »
Geekhack, it seems to me, is of an earlier time when mechanical keyboards were less well-known, and more of a 'niche' hobby.

You had people getting excited about SP or GMK producing basic sets, and many of the first real good GBs were set up here. GH created a number of things that are taken for granted now, like Moogle kits and so on.

But it's from a time when Cherry switches weren't necessarily considered 'standard,' as many of the keyboard users here had no intention to move away from buckling springs, Topre, Matias, or more obscure keyboards that are no longer made. 'Mechanical Keyboard' on GeekHack meant just that: a mechanical that is just as likely a Model F as a Cherry MX Red.

But mechanical keyboards took off in a big way in the last 5 or so years, and for the huge influx of new users, "mechanical keyboard" means "RGB MX Gaming Keyboard." The explosion of MX and clones enlarged the subgroup of actual Cherry enthusiasts, which is a large part of what the Reddit group represents.

So the new wave is Cherry-inspired, it derives from the popularity of MX and the burgeoning clones. A number of them own BS keyboards for cred, and the hardcore know a lot about the classic designs, but the hobby is really now about customizing Cherry.

So GH belongs to an earlier era, before mechanical keyboards reached mass-market acceptance, when people were still excited they could get Dolch and Olivetti, or modernization keycaps for their old sets.

As someone who became involved in all this a year-ago, it was clear to me that 90% of the action was on Reddit. I still found GH links because they come up when you search for things, but I think most people are going to Reddit to ask their questions. The bulletin-board format is considered outdated compared to Reddit, and now Discord, so it increases the 'niche' aspect of GH.

GH is kind of like a storied old library that contains many interesting texts somewhat forgotten, where people still go to get access to certain materials that aren't found elsewhere. And there's a group of dedicated volunteers (group buys) performing a community service that brings people to the library. And Reddit is a giant bazaar where everyone is going, where people proudly display their keyboards and stuff.

I think it's kind of sad that keyboard discussion is divided up among various websites, but they represent different times at which different groups of people coalesced. And the Reddit group does seem like a place where people mostly post pictures of their keyboards instead of engaging in finer discussion. The discussion of specifics has moved to Discord, where it's become little societies. So that's where it's at right now.

Discord is the weirdest thing to me. It's basically just the modern incarnation of the chatroom. Because of the instant message nature of the platform, it's very hard to follow conversations, and it's also hard to keep track of the multiple servers with multiple channels therein, not to mention you have to find the link to the server somewhere to begin with.

Reddit is nice for pictures, but I hate that everything is gone within a day, so no real conversation happens.

I also wonder how much the mass exodus from the Massdrop takeover affected things. A lot of people left over that for some reason. Keebtalk.com is a result of that, as if we needed even more fracturing of the community. I really don't feel like checking three forums (GH, DT, and KT), Reddit, and multiple Discord channels to keep up with everything.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 10:22:36 »
I love them all

Geekhack for the tracked conversation, and all the crazy DIY like the datahand build.
Reddits for the pics, products news, idea that people give me…
Deskthority for the old boards, and the fantastic information that you can get about « This strange switch that I have harvested on a russian IRM in a abandonned hospital »
Discord for the instant chat. If you want to get fast info and have a real feedback about your code / questions this is perfect.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 14:20:07 »
Fortunately for some of us. We are almost approaching the ultimate personal keeb, the end game that will allow us to let all this KB's noise behind. Right?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 14:20:45 »
A hobby with limited options regarding switches, keysets, keyboards etc. our community would do experiments with the switches, lubes, stickers etc. just to try new stuff out and keep things intresting. I remember reading the jailhouse blue threads, watching SpamRay and tp4 promoting the ergo clear and ergodox. Starting GB's for the community, not for a vendor.

As soon as there can be money made on a hobby the community ceases to exist. Even though GH gained a lot of members from 2016-2017 etc. it was due to the hobby commercializing and the GH community dying. These last few years we mostly get members just wanting to join artisan stuff or GBs.
Very busy with studies atm.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 14:33:41 »
A hobby with limited options regarding switches, keysets, keyboards etc. our community would do experiments with the switches, lubes, stickers etc. just to try new stuff out and keep things intresting. I remember reading the jailhouse blue threads, watching SpamRay and tp4 promoting the ergo clear and ergodox. Starting GB's for the community, not for a vendor.

As soon as there can be money made on a hobby the community ceases to exist. Even though GH gained a lot of members from 2016-2017 etc. it was due to the hobby commercializing and the GH community dying. These last few years we mostly get members just wanting to join artisan stuff or GBs.

There's also the fact that we've been unsuccessful in attracting a female audience. 

Fewer peeps want to come to a party with all dudz.

Offline Benitone

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 15:35:10 »
Looking at old gh messages I can see that in the past years there was no evolution in gh. Group buys became more expensive, and the efforts to build a keyboard remained just a solitary exercise. There was no community effort after gh60, so the community didn't grow.

Talking of Reddit, high quality post (and I've seen some in the last days), get buried, because reddit is just a glorified Instagram. There is no shared knowledge, and nobody learns something useful.

Furthermore on gh people seem interested only in obscure layouts, and 100% and tkl aren't more available today than they were five years ago, and this lack of evolution probably upset some users. In the end it's frustrating to waste your time looking for super expensive group buys.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 September 2019, 15:39:29 by Benitone »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 16:07:45 »
the Reddit community is a bunch of [expletive deleted] babies wagging their [expletive deleted].

DT are good people though, and very knowledgeable
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 September 2019, 16:25:39 by trizkut »

Offline pnkpanther65

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 16:48:36 »
Yeah, RIP.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 16:49:59 »
This time of year is always a lull.
Look back in the archives this comes up every year at this time.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline yuppie

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 16:54:27 »
Lots of good points being made here.

I think the overall answer is "Yes". GeekHack is becoming less and less popular as time goes on.

The internet is changing and message board forums have been considered "old and slow" for some time.

Why wait for updates on a thread when I can have a conversation in real-time? Why post pictures here when the audience on Reddit and Instagram is much larger?

The culture around media and communication is changing rapidly. Discord and Slack are killing Email and it's arguable that the message board died long ago.

We've been living in an instant gratification paradigm for a while now and it's become the norm.

I think that GH is still important. Not only does it preserve the history but it also provides an alternative venue for those of us whom prefer more long-winded conversations.

I think I'll always prefer the GBs that happen here over handing my money to (Mass)Drop.

Reddit took over the trading marketplace. Instagram took over the media marketplace. Discord and Slack took over the communications. These other platforms do a better job at delivering these specific services.

All that being said, I have no intention of "leaving" geekhack or checking in less often. Interesting things still happen here and this platform is still valid for various reasons. It's just not flash or glamorous or the "hot" thing.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 17:09:01 »
Agree with many of the points posted.

I still prefer geekhack for its more permanent conversations and the archival of cool moments -- the depth of having to think what you are about to write and hit that red REPLY button -- whether they be community projects or just following a DIYer's tinkering job, or an artist's growing work, as much as deskthority has served its purpose with its immensely rich wiki.

Chat services have many conveniences when speaking "live" with somebody and sharing media, but as has been mentioned, it's just ephemeral and easy to forget. Good for a few minutes or so at a time, making quick arrangements, and even automating certain processes.

Despite people participating in the more popular channels for particular reasons (buy/sell/trade, marketing/exposure, quick share), I appreciate it when they come back to GH to post their photos, share their build logs and tutorials. When it's organized in long form that you then digest in parts, slowly and carefully. When they comment on what they've done, how, and why. That's the good stuff, to me at least. I like this hobby the most when people put meaning into what they've made, collected, or constructed, and then shared for others to see in full detail.

The amount of activity is less important to me than the quality of the content being shared, and of course, the people behind said content.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 September 2019, 17:12:22 by LightningXI »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 18:13:14 »

Reddit took over the trading marketplace. Instagram took over the media marketplace. Discord and Slack took over the communications. These other platforms do a better job at delivering these specific services.

I completely agree that this forum is ancient tech, approaching BBS and Angelfire levels of outmoddedness. But that is why many people love it, and it remains semi-relevant while still being nostalgic. I think GH has a much tighter-knit group, and people who stick around for a while become like a regular coming into the bar which is a huge part of the appeal for me - people actually have room to be themselves here and grow into the community.

There could certainly be technical and quality-of-life improvements made to GH, but that would ruin part of it's charm.

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 18:25:04 »

I completely agree that this forum is ancient tech, approaching BBS and Angelfire levels of outmoddedness. But that is why many people love it, and it remains semi-relevant while still being nostalgic. I think GH has a much tighter-knit group, and people who stick around for a while become like a regular coming into the bar which is a huge part of the appeal for me - people actually have room to be themselves here and grow into the community.

There could certainly be technical and quality-of-life improvements made to GH, but that would ruin part of it's charm.

This is part of the reason I made a GH account in the first place. I saw it as a way to potentially find some community and engage with people more than is possible on reddit and discord, both of which I echo the previous sentiments made about them.

Feel like I came to the party a bit to late, but always worth a shot :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 18:35:33 »

This is part of the reason I made a GH account in the first place. I saw it as a way to potentially find some community and engage with people more than is possible on reddit and discord, both of which I echo the previous sentiments made about them.

Feel like I came to the party a bit to late, but always worth a shot :)

Yeah the heyday did seem to be 4 or 5 years ago. One issue is that a lot of the more popular OG members have left or gone MIA. Some members sales would always drive up GH traffic by like 400% and afterwards there would always be a few new people who wind up staying, but without those huge headliner sales the new member rate has slown down a fair bit.

Ironically some of them left because GH was getting more popular, whether they would admit that or not.

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 18:38:34 »
Gotta keep things hip by bailing when it gets too hot

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 18:50:43 »
Meh, I still come here. 

I don't do discord or slack or Instagram.

I use reddit occasionally to buy and sell things.

I rarely go to DT.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Offline fpazos

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 21:07:08 »
I'm one of the "new" users. I'have been around since a year and a half and I also came here when I was looking for a good keyboard having the only reference of gamming keebs on shops. At some point of the research I found something about custom keyboards and foung gh.

As I'm a programmer more than a gamer I felt in love with the community, the custom keebs and the most with the "making stuff together" thread.

One detail is that I never used Reddit until someday less than a year ago when I started to feel that I was missing important news and things of the community that you could find previously (few months before) on gh (for example the group buys).

Another point is that there isn't too much innovation now as if the keebs had reached its peak development. Now I see the new custom keebs or keykaps and I see them as some variation of something that I have already seen before.

Also, unfortunatelly most of the people can't spend thousands of dollars on several custom keebs (indeed I only have one diy under 150, have been working one year on a second one, and maybe someday I'll join a gb or buy a gmk set).

For me the important thing is that you can solve almost any doubt or curiosity you'll have searching gh. You have amazing info, build logs and other really interesting things. And the most important thing for me is:

You'll always find amazing people willing to help you, listen to you and give you their very well formed opinions (not mine hahaha) if you need it. Just as right now. So for me it's not death.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 03:39:07 »

People need to be careful with those other systems, they do not archive info as well or the same way and are usually managed by companies just out for the money.

Yes, you get a faster conversation, but the data has almost zero value, it's here today, gone tomorrow. This leads to a bigger issue, the same questions keep coming up over ad over again and if people have no investment they too are here today gone tomorrow. You can say people don't care about that, but at the same time, that's exactly the point, they don't care. They don't care to stick around, they don't care if the site sticks around and once the users leave, the company who owns will also nit stick around. Is anyone archiving the Reddit boards? How about Facebook? Google Groups? If those companies dump that system do you honestly think there is a chance in hell you could get them to turn over the data?

Sure, this place could also shut down, same with Deskthority and other forums, but odds are someone could get the data, and much of the important stuff is on people's drives and could be recreated if nothing else. Which I guess is the big thing to remember, sites like this are primarily about long term discussion, chat in off topic is just a byproduct. By comparison social media is more about chat, or the here and now. If Twitter died tomorrow the world would forget about it within 24 hours, meanwhile people would lament the loss the information hosted here here because it contained valuable information.

Yes, I know Reddit also has valuable info, but pinning a page of links is a hack to work around an overwhelmed search system. All of those other systems are based on chat and people are just manipulating it to handle the real data, ultimately it's a system never designed for it.  As a result, as soon as the op forgets to update it or leaves that set of links and pages get confined to the dustbin because the site contains just entirely too much meaningless info to so sift through, most of which doesn't even pertain to the topic.

Will chat forums die? Eventually, but I wouldn't count on it being Reddit or a chat system or social media that does it, at least not in current form.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 03:46:04 »
Leslieann should sign up more of her female friends for GH.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 10:56:36 »
Fortunately for some of us. We are almost approaching the ultimate personal keeb, the end game that will allow us to let all this KB's noise behind. Right?

Speakers should be added in mechanical keyboards keyboards that way i can annoy the hell out of the library besides putting "math is fun" in the "fiction" section.

Offline fpazos

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 11:00:29 »

Speakers should be added in mechanical keyboards keyboards that way i can annoy the hell out of the library besides putting "math is fun" in the "fiction" section.
Don't let gamers know this

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 13:57:37 »

I kinda do want a kb with a speaker that calls out every letter you type in a loud annoying voice

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 14:01:00 »
This thread is sucking the lifeblood out of Geekhack ...

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 14 September 2019, 14:11:21 »
GH had a bit of a resurgence last year when Clack came back. Seems like, after that, it started going down a bit. I miss the days when GH was the go-to.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 22:32:32 »
I'm still trying to build my endgame keyboard lulz
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 23:57:42 »
Lots of good points being made here.

I think the overall answer is "Yes". GeekHack is becoming less and less popular as time goes on.

The internet is changing and message board forums have been considered "old and slow" for some time.

Why wait for updates on a thread when I can have a conversation in real-time? Why post pictures here when the audience on Reddit and Instagram is much larger?

The culture around media and communication is changing rapidly. Discord and Slack are killing Email and it's arguable that the message board died long ago.

We've been living in an instant gratification paradigm for a while now and it's become the norm.

I think that GH is still important. Not only does it preserve the history but it also provides an alternative venue for those of us whom prefer more long-winded conversations.

I think I'll always prefer the GBs that happen here over handing my money to (Mass)Drop.

All that being said, I have no intention of "leaving" geekhack or checking in less often. Interesting things still happen here and this platform is still valid for various reasons. It's just not flash or glamorous or the "hot" thing.

Well said! I agree 100% Reddit is wonderful for Mechmarket.  IG is great for media. Discord/ Slack is amazing for fast chat. Geekhack is still my favorite though and its wonderful for archiving and GBs. I do love posting images here. Me and Diego are the only ones it seems.... lol Ill always love the orange and black theme. If it ever went away Id be depressed...
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 September 2019, 17:02:30 by dustinhxc »

Offline woodruff

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 09:05:40 »
A new community effort can save GH from the oblivion, I would suggest to embark on the GH80: a TKL by geekhack

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102444.0

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 09:55:35 »
Probably

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 11:55:51 »
Did anyone bother looking at the number of people on the site? Not members, how many are currently viewing...

The site's not dying.
Also mechanical keyboards are hot right now, best time in history, there would need to be something massively wrong with the site for a casual observer to notice a large drop in people.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline woodruff

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 12:51:14 »
226393-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 September 2019, 12:56:45 by woodruff »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 17:09:12 »

Offline woodruff

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 03:58:23 »
Today unicomp showed a new ssk, designed and made by them, this is THE news for buckling spring aficionados, it's a thing that has been discussed for decades.

number of gh comments: 5?
number of reddit comments: 80 or more

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 07:38:56 »
Today unicomp showed a new ssk, designed and made by them, this is THE news for buckling spring aficionados, it's a thing that has been discussed for decades.

Any link? I found nothing at Unicomp site.

Offline woodruff

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 07:42:23 »

Somewhere it was told that it was on unicomp's facebook? I can't check right now :-(

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 12:16:45 »

well sure, Reddit has a much more active throwaway base. I imagine someone will post an in-depth review with loads of comments once it's released here.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 13:03:29 »

Somewhere it was told that it was on unicomp's facebook? I can't check right now :-(

This might help: https://www.facebook.com/PCKeyboard/

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 15:05:47 »

I don't even see the SSK on that page though.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do remember when they posted an announcement on April 1st, 2013 (or 2014?) that they had something in the works.  Hardly surprised that there isn't a ton of fanfare over something that many assumed must have been a joke...

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 15:07:17 »

I don't even see the SSK on that page though.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do remember when they posted an announcement on April 1st, 2013 (or 2014?) that they had something in the works.  Hardly surprised that there isn't a ton of fanfare over something that many assumed must have been a joke...

Ha; wow. I saw that photo, saw the large wall of text, and kept scrolling. I totally missed the SSK.

(Hoff, it's next to the lady.)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 15:12:53 »
Ha; wow. I saw that photo, saw the large wall of text, and kept scrolling. I totally missed the SSK.

(Hoff, it's next to the lady.)

Haha!  Yeah, I did the same.  And now that I've read the text, I can confirm that it doesn't even mention the SSK.  :))  Why wouldn't they make an announcement and a little more of a to do about it??  Must not be finished?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 15:38:25 »
Probably because the demand for SSK is low compared to the demand of known full size keyboards?  How many schools or offices you think might order SSKs in bulk?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 16:36:59 »
Probably because the demand for SSK is low compared to the demand of known full size keyboards?  How many schools or offices you think might order SSKs in bulk?

Very true, but I think they know of the demand for the SSK in the hobbyist community here.  Would be worth a mention and a bit of an announcement, no?

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 16:39:21 »
One other consideration: categorized forums are becoming less popular as a means for hobbyists to congregate. It’s especially noticeable for all the phpbb forums (like this one) that haven’t updated to the latest software with mobile browser support.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 16:45:18 »

Very true, but I think they know of the demand for the SSK in the hobbyist community here.  Would be worth a mention and a bit of an announcement, no?

Maybe they're thinking a picture of an actual SSK is worth a thousand words?  I'm surprised that someone hasn't called/emailed Unicomp for confirmation.

edit - I guess I was technically correct :-[ https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102458.msg2811410#msg2811410

tl;dr - Unicomp is working on it, but not ready to announce anything regarding the SSK just yet.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 17:33:19 by csmertx »