Author Topic: First of two builds  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Chann3l

• 3D Art Portfolio
First of two builds
« on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 10:55:03 »
I have been using mechanical keyboards for many years but recently decided to do a couple DIY builds. I've never soldered before but did some research and went into it with confidence. This is the first of two boards and is now completely short of the custom cable that I am waiting on.

Satan GH60 PCB
Gateron Browns
Aluminum case from KBDFans
Standard stabilizers
DSA PBT blanks from SP

Pics of in progress and completed board:

Soldered

In the case and ready for caps

I haven't had a chance to program it yet as I am also in the middle of a new PC build but I tested the default layout on my Mac and all the keys function properly so I am declaring this a success. Stay tuned for the dz60 build.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2018, 10:59:23 by Chann3l »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: First of two builds
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 11:10:38 »
I have to be honest and say that's not the best soldering job (quite a few pins could do with more solder as the pads aren't covered) but if it works and you're happy to get the iron out when/if problems arise it's a good first try. 

Most importantly the finished build looks great - enjoy :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 11:58:32 »
I have to be honest and say that's not the best soldering job (quite a few pins could do with more solder as the pads aren't covered) but if it works and you're happy to get the iron out when/if problems arise it's a good first try. 

It's not often we recommend to add more solder, usually there are small mountains there! For reference, this is about right.

Anyway, this looks like the first build I should've done, so enjoy it :p

Offline Chann3l

• 3D Art Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 12:23:22 »

It's not often we recommend to add more solder, usually there are small mountains there! For reference, this is about right.

Show Image

Haha, I agree, I didn't do the best job, started to get better as it went on but I also don't mind resoldering if necessary. Second board should look a lot nicer.

I will definitely add more solder with the second board. Didn't want to overdo it and it was secure but it's good to have a reference image for what the joints should look like, cheers :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2018, 12:27:50 by Chann3l »

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 12:30:43 »

Show Image

Haha, I agree, I didn't do the best job, started to get better as it went on but I also don't mind resoldering if necessary. Second board should look a lot nicer.

I will definitely add more solder with the second board.

The build does look really good OP & honestly not using enough solder is the lesser of two evils VS using too much solder. If you run into any issues in the future with this build most likely all that'll need done to fix it, is to touch up & add some solder to the joints you went light on. Overall you did a good job on it though, all the switches look properly aligned so no caps are askew, & most importantly it is working. Just remeber to be less stingy with the solder on your next build & your golden! :)

Offline Chann3l

• 3D Art Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 13:38:39 »

Show Image

I will definitely add more solder with the second board.

The build does look really good OP & honestly not using enough solder is the lesser of two evils VS using too much solder. If you run into any issues in the future with this build most likely all that'll need done to fix it, is to touch up & add some solder to the joints you went light on. Overall you did a good job on it though, all the switches look properly aligned so no caps are askew, & most importantly it is working. Just remeber to be less stingy with the solder on your next build & your golden! :)

Thanks a lot! I was very careful about ensuring that the switches were straight. I've seen pictures of some builds with slightly crooked switches and it's incredibly obvious. Actually, one of the alt keys was slightly off and I had to reheat the solder and twist the switch ever so slightly. Would have kept me up at night lol.