Author Topic: Goldtouch Ergo.  (Read 6530 times)

Offline lam47

Goldtouch Ergo.
« on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 19:38:03 »
Just won one on ebay.
Will write a review once it gets here (in the week I hope)
Anyone got one of these or tried it?
I read that its rubber dome with tactile feedback, so a spring?
Looks pretty good anyway.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline dougy

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 20:13:19 »
MicroCenter has them on sale right now (Mac version). Let us know how it feels.

Offline alexlzl

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 21:07:01 »
I have used Goldtouch for almost four years, starting with the old PS/2 model with good layout (Home/End/PageUp/PagDown on the left side). Overall I love this keyboard a lot since it soothed my RSI. However the rubber dome switch doesn't feel very well (I don't feel tactile, but still better than other keyboards), after couple years of using, the wrist/finger pain came back recently. Guess I become too picky now.

Too bad there is so few ergo keyboards with mechanic switch, wish Japanese vendors can make one some day.
Using: Kinesis Contoured (Cherry Brown)
Own:  Realforce 86UK
Wish: Ergo layout Realforce

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 21:10:25 »

Offline alexlzl

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 22:44:28 »
Thanks for the tip. Wow! that is a weird layout. The spacebar is way too small, and they re-arranged so many keys (like {, }, backspace). Also, 55K Yen! :confused: That is more than twice of HHKB Pro or Realforce!

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 23:02:33 »
I've used a GoldTouch for a few minutes, it was just an average rubber dome.

KeyOvation really needs to put Cherry browns and/or blues in the things.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 23:22:50 »
Quote from: alexlzl;14818
Thanks for the tip. Wow! that is a weird layout. The spacebar is way too small, and they re-arranged so many keys (like {, }, backspace). Also, 55K Yen! :confused: That is more than twice of HHKB Pro or Realforce!

There is also the NEC PK-KB015 with ALPS switches:
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/image/pkkb.htm

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 December 2008, 05:29:02 »
Quote from: Chloe;14822
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~hisao/image/pkkb.htm

That looks awesome.

Offline xyzzy

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 December 2008, 05:58:13 »
Quote from: Chloe;14822

Really really nice!

Looks like its price was around 30.000 Yen 10 years ago: http://www.express.nec.co.jp/products/kiki/Keyboard/ergokb/

So I guess it's going to be 3x or 4x now, assuming a second hand one can be found in good condition :(

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline alexlzl

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 December 2008, 12:55:05 »
After trying Realforce 86UK for couple of days, my RSI pain starts killing me again. Guess my wrist can't stand the flat layout anymore. I just switched back to Goldtouch split layout. Come back to think about it, its membrane key switch feels not bad at all.

Offline lam47

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 December 2008, 17:56:51 »
Quote from: alexlzl;15017
After trying Realforce 86UK for couple of days, my RSI pain starts killing me again. Guess my wrist can't stand the flat layout anymore. I just switched back to Goldtouch split layout. Come back to think about it, its membrane key switch feels not bad at all.

I look forward to trying it out :)
If you dont think you will be able to use the realforce would you consider selling or trading it?
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline fkeidjn

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 December 2008, 19:06:18 »
Thanks for the tip. Wow! that is a weird layout. The spacebar is way too small, and they re-arranged so many keys (like {, }, backspace).!

I think one can get used to the weird layout.  I don't know who presses the spacebar with their left thumb though.

Perhaps this keyboard is more awkward looking at first sight.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 December 2008, 20:51:56 »
Quote from: fkeidjn;15057
I don't know who presses the spacebar with their left thumb though.

I do. :)

Perhaps this keyboard is more awkward looking at first sight.

That looks uncomfortable. I don't think I'd ever use the keys placed in between the two vertical parts, it seems like a design afterthought to put them there.

In the Cornell study they were using a vertical wrist rest which doesn't appear to have been added to the production model:
http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/pub/hfpresentations/vkhfes99.pdf

Offline alexlzl

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 December 2008, 22:42:52 »
Quote from: lam47;15054
I look forward to trying it out :)
If you dont think you will be able to use the realforce would you consider selling or trading it?

Yeah, that Realforce 86UK (Korean black version with red ESC key) will probably show up in ebay soon. I am constantly looking for a Cherry ErgoPlus in the meantime. Right now just let my wife enjoy it for a while, she really loves it however can't stand the price tag. :)

Offline FKSSR

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 09:08:42 »
Totally sweet steampunk mod of an IBM M15!  I'm not really into steampunk (the look is cool but it's too much trouble and too much money to commit to such radical fashion ideas just based off looks), but these keyboards are pretty awesome.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline itlnstln

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 09:12:20 »
We had a thread about that mod.  It's very well done, but I am disappointed that they sacrificed a rare M15 for it.  In the process, they stripped it of some of the most important functonality it had in that it is no longer adjustable.

Offline FKSSR

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 09:14:17 »
Oh, I should have figured there was already a thread on this one.  That's what I get for not searching first... I did see a thread for a different mod they did which was pretty cool, before.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline itlnstln

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 09:17:05 »
Don't worry about reposting stuff.  Threads get buried pretty fast around here. :)

Offline MANISH7

Goldtouch Ergo.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 March 2009, 10:04:08 »

Yes, I too would like to know what drugs they were taking when doing the layout and pricing. I am also interested in a an ergonomic layout with either brown cherries, Topre key switches, or buckling springs with springs that are 45 g. All for less than $250 (that's a reasonable price range), a sensible ergo layout, and USB.