Author Topic: Keycap & Keyboard Photography  (Read 2175948 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: Keycap & Keyboard Photography
« Reply #7100 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 11:12:05 »
Wow, MelGeek that looks cool!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7101 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 11:55:37 »
I'm looking into getting a decent macro set up again and was wondering if anybody had some recommendations. I'm currently looking at the Nikon D7500 and the Tokina at-X PRO M 100mm F2.8 D Macro Lens. Any advice is much appreciated!
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #7102 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 12:59:20 »
I'm looking into getting a decent macro set up again and was wondering if anybody had some recommendations. I'm currently looking at the Nikon D7500 and the Tokina at-X PRO M 100mm F2.8 D Macro Lens. Any advice is much appreciated!

That combo will work fine, if you wanted to save money you could go with some used stuff but that's pretty much it if you're just using it for keyboard stuff.

Should be able to find a nice Nikon Micro 55mm f/3.5 for less than $100 with adapter and an older camera like the Sony a6000 or Fuji X-Pro1 which are still great can be found under $500.

There's a lot of options that will work.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7103 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 15:30:36 »

That combo will work fine, if you wanted to save money you could go with some used stuff but that's pretty much it if you're just using it for keyboard stuff.

Should be able to find a nice Nikon Micro 55mm f/3.5 for less than $100 with adapter and an older camera like the Sony a6000 or Fuji X-Pro1 which are still great can be found under $500.

Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping to get more use out of it than just keyboards but we'll see how that goes.

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #7104 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 18:28:28 »
Great setup, really like how that esc novelty turned out :eek:

Thanks! I was actually planning on having the bros on either side but the set novelty was so nice i decided to put it on the corner instead :cool:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Taeha Types

• Subscribe to me :D
« Reply #7105 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 11:07:39 »
231438-0231440-1231442-2231444-3

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #7106 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 13:38:24 »

Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping to get more use out of it than just keyboards but we'll see how that goes.

Np, I'd recommend getting a shorter focal length then if you're gonna try it out elsewhere too.

A 100mm lens can be a bit inconvenient for snapping photos when you're out around town hangin out etc.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7107 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 16:44:13 »

Np, I'd recommend getting a shorter focal length then if you're gonna try it out elsewhere too.

A 100mm lens can be a bit inconvenient for snapping photos when you're out around town hangin out etc.

That's very good to know, thanks! I was thinking of possibly going with a mirrorless(Sony a7ii?) because I would very much prefer the on-screen display. From what I have read, DSLRs perform better in low light which I would prefer as well. I'll definitely have to do some more reading before I make a final decision.

Offline Rich Carpenter

« Reply #7108 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 02:21:55 »

My Leopold + DCS Valentine R1 with love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #7109 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 13:27:42 »

That's very good to know, thanks! I was thinking of possibly going with a mirrorless(Sony a7ii?) because I would very much prefer the on-screen display. From what I have read, DSLRs perform better in low light which I would prefer as well. I'll definitely have to do some more reading before I make a final decision.

Yeah sure thing, the a7 II is a great camera. That used to be true but mirrorless cameras have advanced so much in the past few years that low light and autofocus performance etc are on par or better than DSLRs. Even some older cameras like the a7 II aren't too shabby in low light which is even less of an issue if you're in a situation where you can use a tripod.

Here's a straight out of camera pic I shot on a Canon T2i in a dark room lit by a dim monitor, 5 second shutter with the 18-55mm kit lens.

After using the the a7 II for a little over 2 years I'd say it's leagues better than the T2i but the low light wasn't bad on the T2i so you should be fine with low light on any modern camera especially if it's full frame. Unless you're like pwade8 and 500% crop zoom on dyesub keycap photos or something like that, then you're bound to find issues with any camera setup.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7110 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 16:55:39 »
More

Yeah sure thing, the a7 II is a great camera. That used to be true but mirrorless cameras have advanced so much in the past few years that low light and autofocus performance etc are on par or better than DSLRs. Even some older cameras like the a7 II aren't too shabby in low light which is even less of an issue if you're in a situation where you can use a tripod.

Here's a straight out of camera pic I shot on a Canon T2i in a dark room lit by a dim monitor, 5 second shutter with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Show Image

After using the the a7 II for a little over 2 years I'd say it's leagues better than the T2i but the low light wasn't bad on the T2i so you should be fine with low light on any modern camera especially if it's full frame. Unless you're like pwade8 and 500% crop zoom on dyesub keycap photos or something like that, then you're bound to find issues with any camera setup.

You've been a tremendous help. Thank you very much for your input!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7111 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 00:08:03 »
built my dumb ass a tofu hhkb with og cherry wob + gmk wob mods and and my set of custom vintage linears (gateron bottom housing, vintage black sliders and top housing, 62g springs, lubed and stickered). threw in some temporary foam damping while i wait for mkultra foam. originally built it with lubed 62g zilent v2s but couldn't stand them - waiting on some 67g springs before i put them up for sale... i just don't get why people like tactile mx... also tried some thinner bandaids and heat-shrink on the stab wires and the stabs sound and feel incredible now.

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7112 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 00:33:09 »
built my dumb ass a tofu hhkb with og cherry wob + gmk wob mods and and my set of custom vintage linears (gateron bottom housing, vintage black sliders and top housing, 62g springs, lubed and stickered). threw in some temporary foam damping while i wait for mkultra foam. originally built it with lubed 62g zilent v2s but couldn't stand them - waiting on some 67g springs before i put them up for sale... i just don't get why people like tactile mx... also tried some thinner bandaids and heat-shrink on the stab wires and the stabs sound and feel incredible now.
Show Image

Show Image

nice
I love Elzy

Offline zslane

« Reply #7113 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 12:26:37 »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7114 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 20:31:31 »
Show Image

Show Image

nice

:-*
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline vegs

« Reply #7115 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 01:50:33 »
Show Image

Show Image

Clean! Tofu hhkb seems like a real bang for the buck board.
Did you put heat-shrink on the end of the stabilizer wires?
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7116 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 16:22:10 »
Show Image

Show Image

Clean! Tofu hhkb seems like a real bang for the buck board.
Did you put heat-shrink on the end of the stabilizer wires?

not quite on the ends - a few mm before the bend so it fits into the stab housing, and then left about .5ish mm at the end so it could fit into the keycap attachment. i basically did everything shown here except for adding foam to the stabilized keys, since i don't have foam or a good foam cutting tool. https://rama.works/silencing-stabilisers
i could see that potentially helping the spacebar but i don't think it would be necessary on the shift/enter keys.

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #7117 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 16:32:03 »
Unless you're like pwade8 and 500% crop zoom on dyesub keycap photos or something like that, then you're bound to find issues with any camera setup.

Destroyed

Offline MMKB

« Reply #7118 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 18:04:41 »
Show Image

Show Image

Nice. I had a Tofu HHKB once. Almost perfect except for the echo from the metal case but that should be fixed by dampening sheets. And on mine the edges were as sharp as a knife. Not bad if sanded and cerakoted for sure.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7119 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 19:00:18 »
Show Image

Show Image

Nice. I had a Tofu HHKB once. Almost perfect except for the echo from the metal case but that should be fixed by dampening sheets. And on mine the edges were as sharp as a knife. Not bad if sanded and cerakoted for sure.

i like it sharp - it's one of the main reasons I went with the tofu over a tokyo60 etc :) but i also use a griffiti rest and try to keep my wrists up while typing, so i don't really ever feel the edges of the keyboard.

with a bit of padding below the pcb it sounds awesome with linear switches. super thocky, almost like a crisper/higher-pitched hhkb.

Offline pnlo

« Reply #7120 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 03:54:16 »
232360-0
232362-1

Fjell
Brass Plate
YOK Red Holy Pandas with 3204
3000 SAD

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #7121 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 04:13:49 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Fjell
Brass Plate
YOK Red Holy Pandas with 3204
3000 SAD

damn, looking nice.  :thumb:

Offline melgeek

• MelGeek-Keyboards and Peripherals Manufacture
    • MelGeek
« Reply #7122 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 19:45:43 »
MelGeek- aim to bring the joy of using a mechanical keyboard to everyone.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #7123 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 21:13:28 »
234283-0
234285-1
234287-2

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #7124 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 09:22:24 »

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7127 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 23:07:48 »
I love filco
I love Elzy

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #7128 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 00:02:51 »

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #7129 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 02:55:22 »
Just came in last night:)

9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Smoff

• 817 785
    • Youtube
« Reply #7130 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 12:59:05 »

Lyn Whale, GMK Griseann alphas + WoB mods + GMK stock colors
Current boards: Matrix 1.2 OG | Matrix 8xv2.0 | Cherry g80-1000 | Cherry g80-3000 | Matrix 2.0add | Matrix Noah

Boards on the way: Duck Orion v2.5 | Matrix Falcon

Previous boards: BOK.CP | Duck Orion v3 | Mech27v2 | HHKB pro2 x3 | Cherry g80-11800 | NIU mini | Klippe r1 | Brutal60 | Duck Unicorn x Legend | Duck jetfire | Cherry g80-1800 | IDB60 | PC Salamander | Lin Whale r2 | LZ Physix | Duck Viper v3 |

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #7131 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 15:17:06 »
Show Image

Lyn Whale, GMK Griseann alphas + WoB mods + GMK stock colors

I ****ing LOVE this color on the board!  :thumb:

Offline kelvinhall05

• LinusTechTips
« Reply #7132 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 21:14:25 »
Got these sick keycaps from a video editing ADK as well as my Cherry (Tipro) RC128BM today. Would appreciate some help with programming the Tipro, but for now I'm just enjoying the view :D

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7133 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 05:22:25 »

My dad managed to find this at the Hyper X Esports arena in Las Vegas.

Offline zslane

« Reply #7134 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 11:47:46 »
That is absolutely horrific.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #7135 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 17:42:01 »
I feel like I need to rinse out my eyes
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #7136 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 13:51:40 »
Found a bit of time today to take some macro shots (not really macro as it's 1:2 but as good as I'm going to get)

Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #7137 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 14:28:26 »
Found a bit of time today to take some macro shots (not really macro as it's 1:2 but as good as I'm going to get)

Show Image

Show Image

Yes!!! These are superb! That BBv1.... oh my.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #7138 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 15:33:16 »
I totally do not understand the hype around those silly caps...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline zslane

« Reply #7139 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 12:46:57 »
I totally do not understand the hype around those silly caps...

Me neither. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Smoff

• 817 785
    • Youtube
« Reply #7140 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 06:26:17 »
Smol collection pic
Current boards: Matrix 1.2 OG | Matrix 8xv2.0 | Cherry g80-1000 | Cherry g80-3000 | Matrix 2.0add | Matrix Noah

Boards on the way: Duck Orion v2.5 | Matrix Falcon

Previous boards: BOK.CP | Duck Orion v3 | Mech27v2 | HHKB pro2 x3 | Cherry g80-11800 | NIU mini | Klippe r1 | Brutal60 | Duck Unicorn x Legend | Duck jetfire | Cherry g80-1800 | IDB60 | PC Salamander | Lin Whale r2 | LZ Physix | Duck Viper v3 |

Offline sourmk

« Reply #7141 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 04:16:29 »
Oblivion Mono, Sirius, Motif deskmat

Some Work: GMK Wasabi | GMK Pono | GMK Dandy | ePBT DuO | GMK Hooty | Petals Sixty

Some Collabs: ePBT Ivory | GMK Deep Navy | GMK Fundamentals | GMK Polybius | GMK Blurple | GMK Deepwell | GMK Fuji | GMK Pacific

Some Boards: Daji Seis Cinco, Ocho Quattro, Seis Cero | MatrixLab 2.0 ADD + CP, 2.0 Xmas + CP, 1.2OG | Keycult 1/60 | Hiney Ladybird | QXP | Noxary 268.2

Discord - https://discord.gg/j3PxfJ4rBC | Instagram - https://instagram.com/sourmk | Web - https://www.sourmk.com/

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #7142 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 07:09:14 »
A few of the best keeb shots I made so far :)

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7143 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 15:37:45 »
GMK 8008 mods w/ alphas from GMK DMG.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #7144 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 15:47:34 »
A few of the best keeb shots I made so far :)

Your HB-85 is love at first sight for me.

Stunning keyboard.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #7145 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 20:15:22 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Those sets pair so well together.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #7146 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 12:14:57 »
something I've been working on: 
iKBC New Poker II Type C, desoldered the stock MX-Browns, lubed stabs and bandaid modded
Lubed Gateron Ink Black v1's (Krytox 205g0), Lubed Gateron Yellow v1 (Krytox 205g0) for L & R Shift and Space
Painted Case w/ Montana Gold Acrylic based spray paints
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:08:35 by Darthbaggins »

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #7147 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 06:05:00 »

[td colspan=2]
Show Image
[td colspan=2]
Show Image
[td colspan=2]
Show Image
[td colspan=2]
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
[td colspan=2]
Show Image
That's such a lovely pairing. The Bot looks great too.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #7148 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 12:43:09 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Those sets pair so well together.

Yeah, I didn't even realize it was mix matched 🤣

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #7149 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 00:00:36 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image