Author Topic: How did you remap the missing windows key?  (Read 2839 times)

Offline emisar

How did you remap the missing windows key?
« on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 06:02:13 »
Hey guys I'm a new member, long time lurker.
I am looking into this keyboard kit right now: https://kbdfans.com/collections/maja/products/coming-soon-vulcan-x-kbdfans-maja-mechanical-keyboard-diy-kit
But I use linux with awesomeWM and my modkey is currently set to the winkey on my Anne Pro 2 and I use it for more than 50 shortcuts.
Nonetheless as so many others, I am in love with the Alice layout. Can you tell me how you remapped the windows key or what else I can do to live without it.

Also, is the link above the only option for an Alice style keyboard kit right now? I'm a newbie to customs, only had retail mechs before and I'm using the Anne Pro 2 currently.

Thanks

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: How did you remap the missing windows key?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 04:53:17 »
Linux made a change that makes it a bit more difficult to remap keys (it reverts each update), may want to check the D.E. and see if it provides an easier method, I know KDE and Cinnamon do. Otherwise you need to a script to keep remapping on boot. I'm also not sure what key you would swap it to, alt most likely.

Since the board runs QMK, if you want to get REALLY into it, you could actually remove that block off plate and add the extra switch but that's pretty hardcore to do.
You also may want to look around, there is a LOT of ergo options at the moment through smaller sellers. A dig through QMK's list gives a bunch, find where one is sold and you start turning up more and more of them. Right now it's probably the most common use of QMK and easiest keyboard to get as mainstream stuff is sold out at the moment. https://www.littlekeyboards.com is a good start. I'm not trying to talk you out of this, just offering options that may or may not work better for you.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 06:31:19 »
I map Ctrl on Caps Lock, and Super (a.k.a. "Windows") on Ctrl. I'm doing this for years now, and I can't live without it.

setxkbmap us -option ctrl:swap_lwin_lctl caps:ctrl_modifier
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline WholesomeDucky

• lemme get uhhhhhhhhhhhhh bread
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 09:02:45 »
On typical WKL boards, I use RAlt, since I've never used it for anything else.

On Alice Layout, I use the thumb button next to LSpace.

12 years of spending money on typing

"Name checks out" -Kustoms, 2020

Discord:wholesomeducky
Inbox always open, for whatever reason.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 17:45:28 »
I use a lot of random old keyboards which usually do not have a Windows key. I refuse to remap keyboards to something weird because I use so many of them.

I use some of these when I'm using those particular boards:

You map it by flashing the nand, so whatever you set it to will follow the pedal. I set mine up with the Windows utility, but a review on Amazon suggests you use this for Linux: rgerganov /
footswitch