Author Topic: Has anyone bought milky Gateron yellow switches recently?  (Read 16875 times)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
Has anyone bought milky Gateron yellow switches recently?
« on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 13:48:48 »
I keep reading that Gateron milky switches are prone to binding with thick keycaps.

Are they still "Gen 2" switches or have they been updated? Are they still being produced? At the moment, the only place I can find them is KBDfans store.

The milky samples I got (not from KBDfans) don't seem to have this problem. The yellow variant is audibly less scratchy than the others. I prefer the sound and feel of the milky housing (specifically this smoother yellow), but wonder if it's worth the risk over the cleartop version.

Here is a recent account (3 months ago) of possibly faulty milky switched from KBDfans:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/dhdzgy/please_help_massive_key_binding_using_lubed_milky/

Any info or feedback on the milky Gat yellows is appreciated. Thanks!

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 February 2020, 18:06:42 by voodoo6k »

Offline equalunique

Re: Has anyone bought milky Gateron yellow switches recently?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 22:54:47 »
I have this problem with the 100+ milky gateron yellows I ordered from 1upkeyboarsds last fall.

It could just be that they're old stock.

Happens with both GMK and SA stems. Haven't tested any others.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 23:33:47 »
I get rubbing of keycap stems on housing top openings with all gateron milky switches, including Tangerines, FEI, Giant and Punchy recolored switches.  I will never buy another Gateron switch with a milky top.  Unfortunately I own several hundred that I'll probably never use.

Bought a bag of milky Gateron blacks a few months ago.  They were horrible.

Thank God for Durock.  You have to use switch films with their housings, but they are my go-to for linears now.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 05:16:30 »
I keep reading that Gateron milky switches are prone to binding with thick keycaps.

Are they still "Gen 2" switches or have they been updated? Are they still being produced? At the moment, the only place I can find them is KBDfans store.

The milky samples I got (not from KBDfans) don't seem to have this problem. The yellow variant is audibly less scratchy than the others. I prefer the sound and feel of the milky housing (specifically this smoother yellow), but wonder if it's worth the risk over the cleartop version.

Here is a recent account (3 months ago) of possibly faulty milky switched from KBDfans:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/dhdzgy/please_help_massive_key_binding_using_lubed_milky/

Any info or feedback on the milky Gat yellows is appreciated. Thanks!

The milks suck beside yellow
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 February 2020, 12:26:15 by Sintpinty »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 11:26:53 »
I get rubbing of keycap stems on housing top openings with all gateron milky switches, including Tangerines, FEI, Giant and Punchy recolored switches.  I will never buy another Gateron switch with a milky top.  Unfortunately I own several hundred that I'll probably never use.

Bought a bag of milky Gateron blacks a few months ago.  They were horrible.

Thank God for Durock.  You have to use switch films with their housings, but they are my go-to for linears now.

I have this problem with the 100+ milky gateron yellows I ordered from 1upkeyboarsds last fall.

It could just be that they're old stock.

Happens with both GMK and SA stems. Haven't tested any others.

Wow, okay. That's pretty bad... doesn't seem to be worth it.

Still waiting on a positive review.

The milks suck

Milky yellows feel amazing. Though I think I got a golden sample; no binding and no friction.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 16:49:18 »
I never had issues the ones i bought from KBDFans. GMK,EPBT,JTK 0 problems. Weird to see this problem arise again when it was fixed. We don't know if people found gen 2 stock for cheap and are selling those or that Gaterons new batch of milky yellows have issues. Also there seems to be a bind problem as well as for the new milky ones with black bottom and milky top from what i have seen.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020