Author Topic: IBM Model F Nut Size  (Read 3131 times)

Offline GeorgeK

IBM Model F Nut Size
« on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 11:20:16 »
Does anyone know what size nuts are in the back of the Model F?  I have found a couple of results suggesting 7.5mm (9/32") but can't find a definite result.  It's definitely not 5.5mm as I have a 5.5mm nut driver and it doesn't fit...  I also can't seem to find any 7.5mm nut drivers anywhere in the UK which makes me think that it might actually be 7mm not 7.5mm...  Typically I have a 7mm bit in a little set but it's too fat to fit down the holes  >:D

Thanks in advance

GK

Edit:  I have one of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/wiha-t-handle-nut-drivers for my Model M and it's perfect.  They don't appear to make a 7.5mm which is what is making me think that it's a 7mm instead.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 May 2015, 11:23:33 by GeorgeK »
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM Model F Nut Size
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 11:22:45 »
Yes, it is 9/32" and the 7.5mm will work.

If it is a 122-key terminal, there are a few more inside at 1/4" and/or 7/32" if I remember correctly.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 11:25:08 »

If it is a 122-key terminal, there are a few more inside at 1/4" and/or 7/32" if I remember correctly.

Damn - best carry on searching for a 7.5mm one then.  It's not - it's a PC/AT - I'm only taking it apart to clean it rather than do anything more drastic :thumb:
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 11:36:48 »

Damn - best carry on searching for a 7.5mm one then.  It's not - it's a PC/AT - I'm only taking it apart to clean it rather than do anything more drastic :thumb:

Could be worse.  Could be Whitworth!  I had a '63 Triumph Tiger Cub and had to make or modify spanners to fit *some* of the dang hardware.

Two spanners, both nominal size 5/8"...

Compared to that, 9/32" is a breeze to find, even in Jolly Olde!

- Ron | samwisekoi
Auto-typed by my JD45 keyboard.

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline fanpeople

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 18:32:59 »

Interior is 1/4. I just take the nut-driver bit out of my screwdriver to get those.

Of course some model F have clips instead of nuts internally. The 104-key "unsaver" for the CAD terminals is one.

Yeah finding 9/32 can be difficult even in the US. Not a common size at all. I couldn't get any locally and had to look online (the ones I got are actually rated for imapact wrenches, and barely fit)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 18:52:32 »
I bought this from ebay (US) and it works well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wiha-26556-7-32-x-60mm-Precision-Nut-Driver-/161702122128?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a6329290

That is the size for a Model M.

Auto parts stores are your best bet for "long, thin-walled" sockets.

Nut drivers will usually have to be ordered from ebay, and are cheap, if you can wait.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline jayeye

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 19:08:09 »
It's been a while since I've seen a Type F, but IIRC the hex-cap screws are the same as the type M; they are 7/32''. Unlikely you'll find them in England; I've found it harder to get inch tools in Europe than metric tools in the USA.

Something to watch out for is that there is very little clearance between the hex head and the screw well; ordinary nut drivers, of the sort of thing that come in a kit won't fit.

Anyway, amazon.com delivers to the UK even if amazon.co.uk doesn't have what you need.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 19:30:38 »
It's been a while since I've seen a Type F, but IIRC the hex-cap screws are the same as the type M; they are 7/32''. Unlikely you'll find them in England; I've found it harder to get inch tools in Europe than metric tools in the USA.

Something to watch out for is that there is very little clearance between the hex head and the screw well; ordinary nut drivers, of the sort of thing that come in a kit won't fit.

Anyway, amazon.com delivers to the UK even if amazon.co.uk doesn't have what you need.
Everywhere in Europe it's all metric units, yeah, but here in the UK it's actually mostly retard units actually. Don't forget this is where it came from in the first place :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 19:43:35 »
These particular equivalents work perfectly:

5.5mm for 7/32"
7.5mm for 9/32"

The originals were surely Imperial measure but that does not matter. The narrow throat requiring automotive-style sockets is the larger problem.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 19:45:23 »
As Fohat.digs said, it's 7/32 for the M and 9/32 for the F. Yeah Metric bolts and such are not too uncommon here. Even without all the foreign cars, lots of things follow Metric here. Computer case screws for example.

That said, while I can roll down to the local auto parts store and get a 5.0mm nutdriver, they wouldn't have a 5.5mm. They might have a 7/32 but usually not.

I do recommend a thinwall ,like you said, but the model F has a little more clearance, so the not-very-thin Impact wrench nutdrivers i have still fit.

For the Model M though I strongly recommend the Wiha picofinish 265P thinwall 5.5mm nutdriver, though my cheap chinese set probably gets more use.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 06:17:38 »
Haha I'm such an idiot on two different fronts...

#1 - I had another look this morning and the bolts have grooves cut into them so you can just use a regular slot head screwdriver...

#2 - I have a cheapy toolkit that came free with a magazine subscription - the screwdriver 'handle' fits the bolts and is also small enough to fit down the holes in the back of the model f...

Thanks for all the help anyway!

Offline kmnov2017

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 10:20:39 »
I can confirm that for the F122, one needs a 7mm nut driver. Even though folks have mentioned 7.5mm, the 7mm driver WILL work. The chance to finding a 7.5mm in Europe is very very difficult.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 10:38:43 »
5 year old thread necro!  :D
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!