Author Topic: 1800 layout with Trackball boards are coming  (Read 8995 times)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
1800 layout with Trackball boards are coming
« on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 03:51:39 »
I came across these on Reddit and I thought I'd share.

So apparently both Tesoro as well as iOne are coming with a G8*-1800 layout board with trackball.

I'm actually really curious about these boards so I might scoop one up if I come across them.
Anyone else planning on buying these?
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: 1800 layout with Trackball boards are coming
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 04:03:16 »
If they use Cherry or at least Gateron, it might be interesting thing to buy from my POV
But as far as I know Tesoro uses Kailh
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 04:13:44 »
If they use Cherry or at least Gateron, it might be interesting thing to buy from my POV
But as far as I know Tesoro uses Kailh
Kailh would make it less interesting, but if the price is right?
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 04:31:56 »
The Teseoro caps are hideous and the layout is strange, (F keys mashed together, indicator LEDs on the wrong side) but at least the the iOne claims to be Cherry MX and they're offering OEM builds so surely the Tesoro is going to be too?

It's not for me as the spacebar isn't big enough, or maybe just not in the right place...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 05:00:59 »
Woo—it looks like HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 05:11:51 »
Woo—it looks like HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Show Image

Confirmed:

|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 09:32:55 »
If this has non-linear Cherry MX switches, I will probably buy this board and give it a run. G1800 layout is interesting, not the easiest layout to get caps for but not too hard either.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 09:36:42 »
I'd buy it for the novelty and get someone to design a keycap set based on HAL!!

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 12:07:58 »
Great to see Trackball boards making a comeback! The layout and some of the details indicate that this is probably a descendant of iOne's Scorpius-35 model (which has been around for forever), so there's at least a chance that it'll use Cherry switches-- although, at the same time, there are clearly some changes, so I wouldn't put it past them to have opted for Kailh on this version.

I hope we see more experimentation in this direction. As someone who already has a trackball to the right of the keyboard (though, not attached), I wouldn't derive that much of a benefit from this layout, though. I'd like to see manufacturers play around a bit with other ways of integrating a trackball (or other pointing devices), and in particular more investigation of ways of integrating a pointing device into or near the arrow key area. Variations on this sort of idea:

Also, it's a shame that they backlit the keyboard but didn't go for a backlit trackball (meaning, a clear ball with LEDs to make it glow a color). The new illuminated CST L-Tracs look pretty awesome...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 19:10:15 »
a) I hate that profile of trackball body in particular, with the tall, flat sides
b) I had an old Logitech (orbit? ) with a translucent blue ball, that I put an LED in a long time ago.  The glowing ball was awesome.

The modern trackballs use dots inside the (opaque) ball for optical tracking.  Next million-dollar idea: use a frikken LASER like even cheap mice have for the optical tracking and make translucent trackballs again.  With LEDs.

As for the Tesoro board, it's a big meh from me.  The layout is strange.  If you want people to go different, maybe try a little less different.  I prefer the above trackball-with-arrow buttons even with the ancient-beige and bigenter key, to this new offering.
Jesus loves you.

Offline Norman_the_Owl

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 16:55:47 »
But...there were actual 1800s with trackballs...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 17:09:21 »
That trackball looks a bit like the Slimblade

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 17:43:11 »
But...there were actual 1800s with trackballs...
The SkiData boards had them but other than that I don't remember any other ones. If you mean the 11800 and 11900 models, well I wouldn't call them real 1800 boards as they have several keycaps that simply won't fit and have a completely different profile.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 20:29:46 »
Great to see Trackball boards making a comeback! The layout and some of the details indicate that this is probably a descendant of iOne's Scorpius-35 model (which has been around for forever), so there's at least a chance that it'll use Cherry switches-- although, at the same time, there are clearly some changes, so I wouldn't put it past them to have opted for Kailh on this version.

I hope we see more experimentation in this direction. As someone who already has a trackball to the right of the keyboard (though, not attached), I wouldn't derive that much of a benefit from this layout, though. I'd like to see manufacturers play around a bit with other ways of integrating a trackball (or other pointing devices), and in particular more investigation of ways of integrating a pointing device into or near the arrow key area. Variations on this sort of idea:
Show Image

Also, it's a shame that they backlit the keyboard but didn't go for a backlit trackball (meaning, a clear ball with LEDs to make it glow a color). The new illuminated CST L-Tracs look pretty awesome...
Show Image

My L-Trac has all the electronics for backlighting (thru-holes for LEDs, etc.) but the chip is not currently providing power to those solder points. I've emailed CST to see if they have any plans to support DIY-ers who want to add their own backlighting, but it's been over a month without a response.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 02:40:01 »
Are they using the Harry Potter typeface?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 06:02:06 »
Are they using the Harry Potter typeface?

This keyboard will make you a wizard, Harry!

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 07:48:42 »
They need to make it bigger
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 19:02:39 »
I don't like the non standard function row placement, however I'm curious to see what these will be like.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 21:50:08 »
Whats old is new again:

Qtronix KT-30 with vintage MX blues.

Wouldn't be surprised if Tesoro were made by iOne, which used to be Qtronix.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2015, 21:57:05 by engicoder »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 14:06:05 »
I was just about to say that too... just an updated revision of a board that has been made by iOne for just a few decades now. Tesoro is clearly made by iOne OEM, whether they want to admit it or not.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 14:21:47 »
Interesting. But how does the layout feel? Does it work? Or do you prefer a separate trackball.
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 22:42:23 »
If you're going to build it all into a single device, it would make more sense to put the trackball in between the alpha and nav/number clusters.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 10:02:46 »
Fentek's intermediate model with the same retarded bottom-row layout.
Lots of people who press the space bar with their right hand would hit right Alt by mistake.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 11:29:51 »
It has the same layout, because it is 100% the same keyboard PCB.

Now... if they would have made this keyboard trackball model with bluetooth or even old wireless... it could have been a killer for htpc and maybe casual gaming on the sofa.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 22:59:55 »
I'm sorry, I can't do that, Dave.

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 23:08:08 »
PSA:

KAILH AREN'T BAD
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin