Author Topic: Keyboard of the month is here! Nominations for December please!  (Read 8472 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
Keyboard of the month is here! Nominations for December please!
« on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:35:32 »
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, today is the day you’ve all been waiting for. There have been literally a single thread about this before, and I have taken it upon myself, with some help from Hoffmanmyster, to create;

THE FIRST MONTHLY KEYBOARD OF THE MONTH THREAD!

I have no idea what I’m doing as standard, so I’m going to be learning this as I go along, developing and improving the process until everyone is satisfied with how it runs. I have a basic idea of how it will all work, so we will use it as a foundation, and go from there.

So.

1.   A nomination thread will go up for the last two weeks of every month. You can nominate anybody you like, (even yourself) and any person can have any number of nominations every month. This is going to be the nomination thread for December.

a.   These boards should be ones you are drawn to, ones that stand out for one reason or another. Keysets, modifications, whatever you fancy. I don’t want to have to post guidelines or restrictions on the boards, but I may change this depending on the types of submissions we get over the first few months. Please also say a little bit about each board you nominate, as to the reasons why you think it deserves to be up for KOTM.

b.   The board must have been posted to the forums since the start of the calendar month. It can have been posted before then, but you must provide a link to the images that were posted after the first day of the calendar month.

c.   Keyboards may be resubmitted in subsequent months, but they must have had a picture or progress posted within the calendar month that they are nominated for.

d.   NO THEMES RIGHT NOW. These may or may not follow in the coming months. This also may or may not tie in with the calendar that may or may not happen at the end of next year.

2.   However, after the initial two week period of nominations, a user will only have ONE board get through to the final public voting process. The final three nominees will be selected by myself from the most nominated and praised board in the nomination thread. E.G. If one board is posted and has the most +1s, quotes or references  by other users in said thread, that will be chosen as one of the final three. Essentially, there is a crowd unofficial voting before the public voting. The final three are not up to me, they are up to you.

3.   PLEASE post some good quality photos of the board you are nominating. I’m not looking for Macro lenses and DSLRs, but maybe more than one, top down, blurry shot would be nice. I realise if it isn’t your board there isn’t much you can do about it, but just pick a couple that aren’t terrible from an album or post.

4.   On the 1st of every month, a poll thread will go up. This will consist of three finalists. Again, a user will only have one of their boards get through to this stage during any particular month. You can of course be nominated on another month. There will be one vote per person, and the results will remain anonymous until the voting closes.

5.   After a period of one week, the voting will be closed and a winner will be announced. The winner will be posted both on that month's voting thread, and the following month's nominations thread. I’m not sure if there will be a prize every month, but if there is then I will sort it out and backdate it if I come up with one in a few months time.

6.   The winner of each monthly process will go through to the ANNUAL KEYBOARD OF THE YEAR process, and the winner of the will DEFINITELY win a prize which I will work out in a year’s time.

DISCLAIMER: This process is open to change. If there are any concerns about the process, please post in the KOTM feedback thread in the Off Topic section of the forums.  If anybody wants to help out or contribute anything at any point, feel free to shoot me a PM or post there.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 December 2014, 10:25:21 by katushkin »
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
Re: Keyboard of the month is here! Nominations for December please!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:35:49 »
Nominations for December will last until 00:00 GMT on the morning of the 1st of January

Below is a rough example of how nominations should be laid out, as well as it being my actual nomination for KOTM for December.

My nomination:

Link: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61198.msg1554311#msg1554311

Bianco’s Lightsaver with Nuclear Data SA set

Reasons why: This is the first time I have seen this board. It was posted in the Nuclear Group Buy thread, and I think it just looks great with the uniformity of row 3 SA, and with the tight layout of the board.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:59:48 by katushkin »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:56:21 »
Damn I screwed that up, the board was from November.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:02:28 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:05:30 »
It's actually happening!

Offline Jixr

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:07:54 »
BOOOOO OCN DID IT FIRST!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:11:05 »
Nominating Booper's Poker : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33155.msg1551312#msg1551312

Nominating my favourite keyboard, the 360c [photos of the entire keyboard in the link in that post] : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35864.msg1557138#msg1557138

Nominating billnye's viper : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35864.msg1560935#msg1560935

Will dig up more. These are just the first that came to mind.  There's a bunch I wish I could nominate, but they're from November.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:16:49 »
BOOOOO OCN DID IT FIRST!

But we have better boards... ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:18:45 »
Yay!  Glad to see it come to fruition.  :)  I don't have anything to nominate at this point; I'm just here for the ride (and the pictures!).

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:20:46 »
Dang, wish we could post boards from a little back for this first one... Well, once I get the Xerox all patched up :thumb:
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:24:26 »
(now) Melvang's Bigfootish IBM: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66780.0

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:32:36 »
Lastpilot here too. Sexiest board ever probably.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43865.msg1561057#msg1561057
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:43:13 »
First nomination is Photekq's Corsa: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35864.msg1557138#msg1557138

(full album) https://www.flickr.com/photos/115722906@N08/sets/72157648098547719/:)

I'll think of some more and edit my post later
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:45:10 by billnye »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:44:02 »
First nomination is Photekq's Corsa: https://flic.kr/p/pzn4aD

I'll think of some more and edit my post later :)
+1

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:45:21 »
First nomination is Photekq's Corsa: https://flic.kr/p/pzn4aD

I'll think of some more and edit my post later :)
+1
+1

Offline Elocutive

LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 21:52:03 »
Yes to both Photekq and Last.  Those boards are drool-worthy.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 22:20:23 »
Yes to both Photekq and Last.  Those boards are drool-worthy.

Wellp.  Looks like we're done here.  See you all next month!

:P

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 05:26:42 »
Only six nominations so far! Still a week to go until the vote begins on the most popular three, so get your nominations in!