Author Topic: [GB] LZ GH V2 : [Completed]  (Read 101184 times)

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
Re: [GB] LZ GH V2 : [Completed]
« Reply #400 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 16:06:19 »
remember to update the firmware before you do anything else

if the problem still persists it's probably the same hardware issue that's been plaguing TX87s for the last year or so

I currently have 5+ tkls with TKL87 L3 PCBS (white and black versions) and there's no issue that is plaguing anything that I've noticed over two years.

What seems to be the plague issue you speak of? It also has nothing to do with a TX87, a aluminum housing that kin designs and sells.

If you go through all the TKL GB threads that use the PCB there are always a few people complaining of issues, and I've heard of more on slack.

Personally I've never had any problems with the TKL L3. It's not limited to any specific version as far as I can tell. Something to do with the voltage regulation chip.

Most of it seems like user error or lack of information, aside from the whole chip thing. Never had a single problem with one of these PCBs except when I borked the bootloader on one trying to follow kins instructions on how to solder rgb LEDs over the arrow cluster.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 October 2018, 16:08:12 by wholypantalones »

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #401 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 20:51:00 »
FINAL UPDATE:

Hello everyone. I was having a huge amount of issues with the L3 PCB and the JigOn software.

I was not in the original GB, and got the board already built. I do not know if the PCB was flashed before building and fiddling with the layout, so i can't say if that had any influence on my experiences. What i can say though is that i upon recieving the board was able to change layout no problem.

I started out having a problem where the LED's would light up when plugged in to my computer, which was turned off. I tried turning them off in JigOn, which did nothing to sort the problem out. After a couple of tries and a bit of fiddling with the software i was unable to use the board, and about 3 of the backside LED's was permanently turned on. I could not flash the firmware due to communications error and JigOn would crash when trying to connect. All this would not change when trying different USB ports and cables and even PC's.

I have now managed to get the board in a working condition though. What worked for me was to remove the device from windows and redownload JigOn 170419. Then i would open this newly downloaded version of JigOn and then connect the board to a USB2.0 port. After this i was able to turn off the LED's and even able to connect the board and change the layout. I have not tried to flash the firmware, but it works now and i'm scared of ruining it now, so i wont bother to try.

What went wrong i don't know, but it kind of sorted itself out. I hope my experiences can help someone else out with their problems.

Now that actually makes sense. My money says the entry for the USB device in the registry was locked or corrupted.
Deleting it from the device manager is likely what did the trick.
It's probably worth adding that tidbit the the Jigon thread.

Using in-switch LEDs would definitely give me pause - the voltage issue Puddsy mentioned.
That's how I corrupted the bootloader on my LZ Ergo.
RGB backlights seem OK though - less power draw.

I think this analysis (registry corruption fixed via device manager fiddling) is right on.
Also ditto on correlation between bootloader corruption and LEDs/RGBs related power flux.  One incident I had was with RGB.
LEDs/RGBs components failure seems to be more frequent than before.  No hard data on this, just based on anecdotal count of reports.

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #402 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 16:16:47 »
Finally getting around to building my v2 today. I've noticed that the holes on the pcb for pcb mount switches are rather tight. This is my first leeku pcb, did anyone else have a similar issue? I'm just gonna file the holes slightly to fix the issue - I assume this is the best method, yes?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #403 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 16:29:59 »
Finally getting around to building my v2 today. I've noticed that the holes on the pcb for pcb mount switches are rather tight. This is my first leeku pcb, did anyone else have a similar issue? I'm just gonna file the holes slightly to fix the issue - I assume this is the best method, yes?

known issue on leeku pcbs

if you push hard it should work

pcbs are more durable than you'd think
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #404 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 17:07:18 »

Apply liberal amounts of 3204 on the pegs when you doin the lube and slide those babies in there real nice like.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #405 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 17:16:54 »

Apply liberal amounts of 3204 on the pegs when you doin the lube and slide those babies in there real nice like.

oh wow i wouldn't even think to do that

makes a lot of sense
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #406 on: Sun, 02 December 2018, 17:32:29 »

oh wow i wouldn't even think to do that

makes a lot of sense
Can't be wasting 3204 for that. I'll whip out the KY ;) thanks for the tips guys!

Offline Wongstongs

« Reply #407 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 10:26:23 »

I straight up just squished the pegs on the switches with a pair of pliers

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #408 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 11:22:43 »

So you made them oblong and serrated? Did it work?

Offline Wongstongs

« Reply #409 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 11:55:56 »

Yeah it worked really well actually. I squished once, then turned it 90 degrees and squished again. This was for Tealios.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #410 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 13:08:31 »

Yeah it worked really well actually. I squished once, then turned it 90 degrees and squished again. This was for Tealios.

Those little tealio bastards have big pegs. Mine is still sitting waiting for me to get the rest of my switches springs swapped, switch filmed and lubed. Hopefully by January..

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #411 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 13:12:56 »
For the record, the big pegs have been fixed on the zeal V2 switches

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #412 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 02:04:48 »
The V1 Zealios I put in my GH V2 were also very tight. Required a bit of force to get the place and PCB lined up properly.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #413 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 13:30:11 »
Finally got mine put together today. Awesome keyboard. Thanks again LZ!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #414 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 14:02:55 »

Show Image

Show Image

So gorgeous. Looks amazing.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #415 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 14:59:38 »

Show Image

Show Image

Very nice!
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #416 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 15:15:54 »

Show Image

Show Image

Looking good!

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #417 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 20:06:15 »

Show Image

Show Image

Wow  :thumb:

Love that color.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #418 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 20:13:09 »
Has anyone been able to reflash the bootloader that would be willing to help me out with a how to?  I'm not having any luck and this keyboard is no good as a brick :-\

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #419 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 20:29:04 »
Has anyone been able to reflash the bootloader that would be willing to help me out with a how to?  I'm not having any luck and this keyboard is no good as a brick :-\

There's two posts linked at the bottom of this thread I put together I used to reflash the bootloader on a bricked PCB.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97623.msg2666583#msg2666583

Offline Wongstongs

« Reply #420 on: Mon, 31 December 2018, 18:55:21 »

Typing test with tealios if anyone is interested. Space bar seems a bit loud, but other than that it sounds amazing.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #421 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 18:29:50 »

There's two posts linked at the bottom of this thread I put together I used to reflash the bootloader on a bricked PCB.

thanks,

There's been a few people stating they did it with a teensy and this instruction guide
https://docs.qmk.fm/#/isp_flashing_guide

Since I had a Teensy laying around I figured I would give it a go, but kept getting invalid device signature errors, which I don't know what that means  :))

I guess I will order a isp flasher from ebay and learn Korean in the mean time.

(guy I talked to about it who fixed his own and someone elses said that 4 people PMd him in the past month about bricked L3s)

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #422 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 20:46:26 »
Yep. Same.  Bricked here. So frustrating.

Offline pandemic123

« Reply #423 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 03:46:06 »
there is a pretty big design flaw for people who got the version with the diffuser, the brass bottom is not polished along the sides, normally the bottom is flush with the housing but in the case of the diffuser version, the sides of the brass bottom are exposed. on mine they look terrible, a pretty big oversight for such a pricey board with a reputable name behind it (LZ).

Offline LifeZ

• LifeZone
« Reply #424 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 04:59:54 »
there is a pretty big design flaw for people who got the version with the diffuser, the brass bottom is not polished along the sides, normally the bottom is flush with the housing but in the case of the diffuser version, the sides of the brass bottom are exposed. on mine they look terrible, a pretty big oversight for such a pricey board with a reputable name behind it (LZ).

Yes, it is added in the middle of the project, Please look pretty.  :cool:
LZ Limited

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #425 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 05:16:10 »

thanks,

There's been a few people stating they did it with a teensy and this instruction guide
https://docs.qmk.fm/#/isp_flashing_guide

Since I had a Teensy laying around I figured I would give it a go, but kept getting invalid device signature errors, which I don't know what that means  :))

I guess I will order a isp flasher from ebay and learn Korean in the mean time.

(guy I talked to about it who fixed his own and someone elses said that 4 people PMd him in the past month about bricked L3s)

Instead of learning Korean, Google translates the page for you..

Offline pandemic123

« Reply #426 on: Fri, 25 January 2019, 01:19:26 »
also the side of the my bottom brass weight, the ciruclar rod part is not polished and is black basically.

for this price point and the famous name of Lz I am a bit shocked. overall the board has a lot of nice things I've gotta say but the bottom brass piece really kills the look. when you look it at from the side all you see is unpolished brass.

Offline bujorc

« Reply #427 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 07:22:11 »
Are there Alps compatible PCBs&plates for this? Thanks

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #428 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 15:24:22 »
If anyone bought a ton of plates and wants to part with one HMU  :)

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #429 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 15:24:58 »
Iirc tootall had a carbon fiber plate for sale. Forgot if half or full plate.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #430 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 17:23:41 »

Have you asked LZ if he has some spares?
(The CLS, MP and GHv2 use the same switch plate)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #431 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 17:25:50 »

Have you asked LZ if he has some spares?
(The CLS, MP and GHv2 use the same switch plate)
Oh I didn't know the MP uses the same plate, I might ask about it if that's the case. Thanks!

Offline ranonranonarat

« Reply #432 on: Sat, 06 July 2019, 11:16:09 »
Well, I hope someone finds this useful but I was working on the Leeku PCB today and then had some problems with it. The 3 LEDs would light up but none of the keys would register. Running Jigon and trying to connect the to it would cause Jigon to crash. Not sure why it worked but I went to Keyboard > Update > All and it seemed to solve the problem. I'm able to map keys through the Jigon GUI now. So putting this out here just in case someone runs into the same problem and might want to give this a try.

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #433 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 12:35:54 »
Well, I hope someone finds this useful but I was working on the Leeku PCB today and then had some problems with it. The 3 LEDs would light up but none of the keys would register. Running Jigon and trying to connect the to it would cause Jigon to crash. Not sure why it worked but I went to Keyboard > Update > All and it seemed to solve the problem. I'm able to map keys through the Jigon GUI now. So putting this out here just in case someone runs into the same problem and might want to give this a try.

I've tried to put together a collection of experiences over at KT, https://www.keebtalk.com/t/leeku-pcbs/3683.

Offline wholypantalones

« Reply #434 on: Sun, 07 July 2019, 15:42:52 »

I've tried to put together a collection of experiences over at KT, https://www.keebtalk.com/t/leeku-pcbs/3683.

Same same. Even linked to your keebplace post.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97623.0