Author Topic: Cherry MX brown supplier in Europe  (Read 3868 times)

Offline iveqy

Cherry MX brown supplier in Europe
« on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 16:12:53 »
Hi,
my kinesis advantage has had a problem with a glass of lemonad finding its way down the keyboard and destroying 5-10 switches, they are all sticky.

Now my first plan is to order new ones (or alternative clean the old ones, but I doubt that will be successful). However I can't find any European supplier, the shipping from the US costs more than the actual switch and that seems a bit strange.

Where can I source new cherry mx brown switches for my kinesis advantage?

(does anyone know if they should be with the PCB mounted option or not btw?)

Offline Findecanor

Re: Cherry MX brown supplier in Europe
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 17:09:59 »
Some electronics component vendors also have them. For instance www.reichelt.de.
Shipping will still cost more than the five switches themselves.
You could also check eBay.

Yes, you should get switches with pins for PCB-mounting -- especially if you are replacing a switch for one of the thumb keys. The thumb keys' switches are PCB-mounted. The switches in the key wells are plate-mounted but the flexible circuit boards inside were made for the same type of switches.
Some older models of Kinesis' contoured keyboards did not use pins for PCB-mounting in the key wells but I think all Advantage do.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 December 2017, 17:12:57 by Findecanor »

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 17:58:52 »
If you are going to desolder them anyway, picking up an ultrasonic cleaner would likely be a better long term investment, to be honest. You can get one for like 30 bucks on amazon, but I am not sure about your specific region, but they are generally pretty inexpensive. I use distilled water and 70% alcohol in 50/50 concentration to ultrasonically clean switches.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 02:22:04 »
The Cherry Switch bot on Deskthority is really good. I've bought a few hundred clears from there in the past and never had any complaints.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline iveqy

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 05:43:05 »
What do you mean with cherry switch bot? I thought deskthority was a forum and not a retailer?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 06:01:35 »
What do you mean with cherry switch bot?
katushkin meant this.

I might add, if you can wait weeks to deliver, on Aliexpress there are a lot of shops that sell switches.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 08:25:52 »
katushkin meant this.
BTW, the bot is not actually running on Deskthority:  It is only a user account. Users get private messages forwarded to their email addresses and the bot reacts to emails it receives. Going through the forum this way is a simple way of hiding the actual email address to protect it from spambots, and it also links each order to a user on the forum.