Author Topic: Hua-Jie AK-CN2 Alps clones - Is there a way to salvage these things?  (Read 849 times)

Offline Kevadu

So I recently acquired a new old stock SIIG MiniTouch off eBay.  Being new in its box there was really know way to know if it had the Monterey switches I was obviously hoping for or ivory Hua-Jie AK-CN2 switches as the keyboard was made with both.  Unfortunately I got the latter.

God these things are awful.

OK they're not completely without merits.  They have good tactility and decent sound, and the actuation is well-coordinated with the click.  There is really just one problem: they are stiff as hell.  My daily driver and the keyboard I am by far the mos used to is a Model M which doesn't exactly have a reputation for being light but this is on a whole different level.  I literally cannot touch type on this keyboard as I constantly miss letters because I'm not hitting the keys hard enough.  And if I do hit the keys hard enough it's literally painful for my fingers after a while.

Which brings me to my question: Is there any way to salvage these switches?  Does anyone have experience modding them?  Would it be enough to just put in a lighter spring or something?