Author Topic: [IC] Cherry Profile Spacebars for VE.A, Golbat-40%, Clueboard, Van44, CP-SQ, etc  (Read 99850 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
litster I think it's a great idea to get custom molds done, matt3o might be able to help with the vendors. As said earlier, I'm too busy to keep working on this, so if someone wants to make this happen, I would be really happy. Do give me a heads up if you do get a GB going, would like to get a few pairs irrespective of color for myself.

Offline need

The original idea wasn't to make actual spacebar molds. it was just to get blanks in those sizes, so basically the two shift keys except blank(2.25 and 2.75)

nah, we need a true R4 mold 2u and 2.75u. not sure what is needed for plank/other layouts

Getting front row blanks is only half way there.  I would like to see if we could go all the way and get new molds made for short spacebars that has a spacebar shape.  It could also be beneficial to other custom keyboard projects.
This has been my dream for so long, having proper spacebars is such an urgent matter in my opinion. News sets are keep making this compromise, and it's painful to watch  :-\

What's worst is that they even kid themselves into thinking flipping "spacebars" (if you could call that...) solves all the problems... Someone even once said "honestly you should find another profile if you find flipping spacebars isn't comfortable." LOL I thought enthusiasts will have higher expectations than that...
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 07:19:41 by need »

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Sent a message to Matt3o.  We will see what he says.

Offline menuhin

The original idea wasn't to make actual spacebar molds. it was just to get blanks in those sizes, so basically the two shift keys except blank(2.25 and 2.75)

nah, we need a true R4 mold 2u and 2.75u. not sure what is needed for plank/other layouts

Getting front row blanks is only half way there.  I would like to see if we could go all the way and get new molds made for short spacebars that has a spacebar shape.  It could also be beneficial to other custom keyboard projects.
This has been my dream for so long, having proper spacebars is such an urgent matter in my opinion. News sets are keep making this compromise, and it's painful to watch  :-\

This is exactly what needs to be done.
Space bar should be in space bar profile, no matter it is split or not.

Split space bar is getting more and more popular now, hope a kit can be created with new space bar profile mold for all the possible split space bar combinations.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline lunr

Definitely interested. Hope this go through.

Offline loar

That would be pretty nice! Interested too.

Offline dyoungc

Not sure if there has been any progress on this IC, but I would definitely join in. With 2 upcoming GB's for 60% split spacebar boards in 2.75/2.25 sizes, I would anticipate much more interest in the near future.

Offline litster

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
yeah, I think the two 2.5 will work

Offline megaforce

A couple 1u R4c thrown in would be awesome too!!
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline litster

A couple 1u R4c thrown in would be awesome too!!

The Ergo kit has those, for another $99!!!   :eek:

Offline OneNightFriend

Would love to buy a kit like this! Especially if you can color match to GMK Skeletor's Cyan / Purple, but also would love to get regular colors as well.

This is an awesome idea!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
moz, you ready to pick this back up yet? seems like there is interest, esp if you include 2u spherical that gmk is making now as well as centers stem

Offline stoic-lemon

Hope this gets going at some point.

Offline krisst

Would the spacebar kit in this set work for VE.A?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-zambumon-gmk-nautilus-custom-keycap-set

Show Image

This question might be off the topic for this thread. However, yes this kit would fit a VE.A. 2u and 2.75u spacebar required.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Anyone want to run this? I definitely can not as I've got a metric ton of load at work but would love to see this done.

Offline need

Yes this needs to be done. It's painful to watch new sets only made 2u to be convex, and kept on pumping out space bars with the wrong profile. Those are gonna be worthless when correct ones come out.

Offline cynviloq

UPDATE

Hi all - I'm helping take this over for MOZ.

Spoke to GMK, MOQ is 150 still per set of 3 colors.

R4 profile is available in all three sizes, however Space Bar mold in those sizes is not being considered by GMK until late fall / winter if they even decide to move forward.

Current lead time is about 3.5-4 months - so we sit here at a quandary because if we move forward with the R4 profile, we may get those keys shipped at the same time a new Space Bar mold is announced. On the other hand, if we wait and they do not announce a new Space Bar mold... then the queue may run a bit longer.

Any thoughts or opinions? I understand that IF a SB mold were to happen, that would be ideal, but it's currently only in a pondering stage.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 July 2017, 12:51:56 by cynviloq »

Offline litster

cynviloq, thanks for looking into this.  I would wait and hope DMK will make new shorter SB mold soon.  For the time being, the Nautilus spacebar kit on Massdrop happening now will tie us over until then. 

Offline Saiph

I would love a new SB mold, but I'd also be satisfied with R4 spacebars.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.

The R4 set I got for Carbon works fine for my purposes, and the SB add-ons for Yuri, Solarized Dark and Nautilus also went with R4.

Offline cynviloq

cynviloq, thanks for looking into this.  I would wait and hope DMK will make new shorter SB mold soon.  For the time being, the Nautilus spacebar kit on Massdrop happening now will tie us over until then.

The R4 kit would probably ship around the same time as Nautilus...

My thought is that we could run R4 kit (but would we even have enough interest to reach 150 MOQ on either colorway?) get that by end of the year (hopeful) and then run SB kit at the start of 2018 (and who knows what the lead time is then!)

Offline litster

150 seems like an achievable number.  We could have minimum of 2 or 3 spacebars per order. 

Offline cynviloq

150 seems like an achievable number.  We could have minimum of 2 or 3 spacebars per order.

Sorry it's 150 per color pack... so 150 * 3 sets = 450 sets of spacebar colors ordered per color pack as a minimum.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
I would like 1.25u space for use with several up and coming split layouts like the banana split. Although, it could prove difficult to hit MOQ on an individual color especially considering the prevalence of custom gmk colors these days.  Might be able to do it with N9 or CC or TU2 though.
keyboards.

Offline cynviloq

I would like 1.25u space for use with several up and coming split layouts like the banana split. Although, it could prove difficult to hit MOQ on an individual color especially considering the prevalence of custom gmk colors these days.  Might be able to do it with N9 or CC or TU2 though.

I'm not sure a 1.25u space bar mold will be in the future... if you wanted it even across the 2.75/2.25/1.25, you're likely better served if we moved forward with the R4 profile.

Offline cynviloq

With the lack of response - I think the decision is to wait until the fall (Oct-Nov) to see what molds they'll be providing in Spacebar profile!