Author Topic: How to clean GMK keycaps  (Read 13012 times)

Offline Giorgio

How to clean GMK keycaps
« on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 06:02:39 »
How do you clean your GMK abs keycaps when you don't have time to remove them from the keyboard?

Do you use isopropyl alcool, or a less strong disinfectant agent?

According to the attached pdf
http://www.geotechenv.com/Reference_Pages/chemical_compatibility_table.pdf
on ABS plastic you can use:
Isopropyl Alcohol
Hydrogen Peroxide (dilute)
Sodium Hypochlorite 20%

But you can't clean them with Ethyl Alcohol (which is the kind of alcohol that you can drink).

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68721.0
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 September 2016, 06:04:25 by Giorgio »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: How to clean GMK keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 06:43:46 »
You really should always remove caps to clean them.

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 07:10:46 »

But you can't clean them with Ethyl Alcohol (which is the kind of alcohol that you can drink).

So dont drink your vodka near your keyboard, check.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 11:13:23 »
Wait. You actually own GMK keycaps?  :-\

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 11:27:37 »
I use denture tablets in warm water.  Give em a little scrub, and dry thoroughly before putting them back on your board.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 14:34:00 »
Are baby wipes OK?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 14:57:50 »
Wait. You actually own GMK keycaps?  :-\

Do you?

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 14:58:56 »
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 14:58:57 »
i think someone mentioned that rubbing alcohol removed pad printing for gmk caps.  i would stick to a dab of mild dishwashing liquid/hand soap with damp cloth.

but the best way for me is to use a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and throw the caps in with mild soap.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 01:32:26 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 20:44:27 »
Soap and warm water in a bowl. Move them around for 5-10 minutes. Repeat once every 3 months.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 04:00:06 »
You won't be able to get them properly clean without removing them from the keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 07:34:00 »
You won't be able to get them properly clean without removing them from the keyboard.

I agree, but using it at the office, compromises are necessary :-)

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 08:49:33 »

Is it bolted to the desk at work?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 09:36:33 »

Should I take it home to clean it? Or should I close myself in my office with a basin filled with water? Or should I clean it in the main hall, cleaning each key cap with a tooth brush?  :))

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 10:00:12 »

Should I take it home to clean it? Or should I close myself in my office with a basin filled with water? Or should I clean it in the main hall, cleaning each key cap with a tooth brush?  :))
You should take it home to clean it

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 10:22:09 »

I take my board home and clean the caps properly with denture tabs and a soft bristled brush. For quick touch-up at the office, wetwipes usually do fine
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 14:26:11 »
I just carve out the surface and side of the keycaps with my nails and move on
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 14:41:59 »
I just take them off my board and scrub them in some warm soapy water like any other keycap. Why would GMK caps be any different?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 21:04:48 »

Just like removing a computer case and blowing the dust out at work from time to time it necessary, so is removing keycaps and cleaning them.

Although I haven't kept one keyboard here long enough to get dirty, and tend to type with clean hands and thus not make it dirty anyway, I haven't needed to clean my keycaps at work (yet).

Although should I need to, a bowl of warm water placed discreetly at the other end of my desk would not be too far out of place.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 21:24:01 »
Just wash them with dish soap and plenty of water.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 09:47:52 »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 10:28:19 »
Antibacterial!

https://www.amazon.com/Read-Right-KeyWipes-Keyboard-RR1233/dp/B001GXHHNS

premoistened with what? Not necessarily something not dangerous for plastic.

Offline vaughno

Unikorn | Orion v3 | GSKT-00

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 17:16:15 »
Just use ammonia free glass cleaner sprayed on a rag that won't shed real bad & wipe the tops of the keys off for a quick clean. Although as most others recommended if they are really dirty taking the board home, removing the caps, & soaking them in warm water with a denture tab or some mild dish soap, then scrubbing them with a soft toothbrush or soft rag is a much better way to clean them. The best & easiest way is toss them in an ultrasonic cleaner with a denture tab or tiny bit of mild dish soap, although ultrasonic cleaners skyrocket in price with the size of the tub & a cheap one for cleaning jewelry will not hold a quarter of a GMK set in one go.