Author Topic: Mico mod?  (Read 3173 times)

Offline zig_ziglar

Mico mod?
« on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 20:23:36 »
Hi, I have small hands and have been trying to find a mouse I can use comfortably for a long time. I use a hybrid claw/fingertip grip and have found that the best size is around 95-100mm in length. This really narrows my choices, as most hardware companies seem to think that small = budget.

I have tried the Razer Salmosa ASE which is small enough, but the button shape and high sensitivity resulted in far too many missclicks on the right button. I'm currently using a Kinzu V2 pro, which is a great shape and the sensor is just fine, but it's too big and I'm getting cramps.

I haven't tried the Mico, but shape wise it looks perfect. However, Zowie have not fixed the sensor bug, so I was thinking maybe I could immitate the kinzuadder mod and do a kinzumico?! I'm an electronics noob though, so here I am. Is my proposition viable? I pretty much don't care what sensor I interchange so long as it is optical and not buggy, has no or minimal prediction, no or deactivatable acceleration and at least 1600dpi and 1000hz (although I'd settle with 500hz if I had to).

I've got a Pyra on order to see how I fair with it, but I'm not too hopeful.

Cheers
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Mico mod?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 16:42:59 »
Pyra has very light buttons (except the wheel, which is frankly crap).

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 16:48:06 »
I'm not completely opposed to light buttons. It was the combination of the sensitivity and the shape. Have you seen the Salmosa ASE? I guess it's a Razer thing, but the tips of the buttons curl upwards and because of how small the mouse is, my fingers tend to slide forwards until they rest in the curve at the end and this promotes missclicks for me. Maybe the regular button shape on the Pyra will fix this problem, maybe not. I got it for $25 shipped, so it's worth a shot.

« Last Edit: Thu, 20 March 2014, 16:52:37 by zig_ziglar »

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 23:14:35 »
can you tell me what sensor bug the Mico has? I used one for a while and it isn't performing bad to me. has a tiny bit of prediction but a bug I have not really noticed.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 03:26:00 »
can you tell me what sensor bug the Mico has? I used one for a while and it isn't performing bad to me. has a tiny bit of prediction but a bug I have not really noticed.
When tracking horizontally, it occasionally jumps a couple of cm to the right. The bug seems to affect some more than others, but Zowie have confirmed that they have not produced a Mico that is completely free of the bug.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 10:55:18 »
oh wow okay, that's not something I've noticed with mine. that sounds like a huge issue indeed. what a shame :( I wonder if it has anything to do with surface used. but probably not. admittedly I haven't used it for a long time.

Offline mil0ck

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 11:30:53 »
Just chiming in as another mico owner, I have never seen this bug on mine. I've had the mouse for 7~ months, and have been using it basically every single day since I got it. Probably not enough to change your mind about things, but I can confirm that I've never seen this issue.

One thing though could be that I am using the StarTale edition, which may have some differences in HW (except for the plastic case ofc), but I doubt it.
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S  |
More
6Gv2 (MX Black)

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 11:43:53 »
Yea, both my black and blue Micos do that. If you go to MS Paint and draw vertically for a few minutes, you'll definitely eventually see the pixel skipping bug. The only reason I can't recommend it to anyone. Such a nice mouse otherwise.

Offline mil0ck

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 11:57:26 »
Yea, both my black and blue Micos do that. If you go to MS Paint and draw vertically for a few minutes, you'll definitely eventually see the pixel skipping bug. The only reason I can't recommend it to anyone. Such a nice mouse otherwise.

Huh, is this what you guys are talking about?

HHKB Pro 2 Type-S  |
More
6Gv2 (MX Black)

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 14:15:00 »
I will go find my Mico and see if I can replicate that... that's a bit odd indeed! nothing I noticed when playing FPS games with it.
only reason I didn't use it was because I got cramps for it being too narrow :p and I use fingertip grip only.

Offline zig_ziglar

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 05:13:44 »
If you find the Mico too narrow, but like it's proportions otherwise, try the Pyra. I'm using it right now and it is sculpted in such a way that the sides narrow in towards the middle and the rubber texture essentially allows you to choose where you grip it to suit your hand. I naturally grip it at the narrowest point and am currently finding it pretty comfortable, but my brother who has larger hands and uses fingertip grip holds it at the widest point (more forwards) and finds it comfortable too.

I am probably just paranoid that I'll end up with a Mico that is heavily affected as, like I stated, it varies Mico to Mico how severe the bug is. And also it's kind of a matter of principal: Mico have known about this bug for a long time and have done nothing to fix it. Meanwhile, Steelseries (who have a few mice with the same sensor) have developed a firmware update that fixes the bug and flashed all unsold affected models and implemented the fix into new models. Come on Zowie! You're a major eSports sponsor!

The StarTale edition is equally as likely to be affected by the bug as any other version, I'm afraid - but you could be lucky enough to have one that is affected infrequently with a minor jump. Some jump half an inch and do so quite often, from what I've heard.