Author Topic: What are the worst controls/controllers you've ever used for a video game?  (Read 15803 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: What are the worst controls/controllers you've ever used for a video game?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 20:48:57 »
Nes max not my thing tbh

I don't think it is anybody's thing. People have modded them with modern analogue sticks, sans the proper mechanical bits of course, to make them somewhat usable, otherwise they're basically gimmicky garbage.

So I got a Steam Controller, and as it turns out not having two sticks makes it unusable for like 70% of games. And the ones it does work with, it works with poorly.

It's strange because it works perfectly on the desktop, but once you try to use it in a game it gets all wonkey. Also not having a right stick - HUGE drawback. Most games don't know what to make of the touchpad.

ctrl + f "steam controller".

Same here, good idea in theory but terrible for games. Having to turn up the sensitivity and not having it do anything and then "flinging" your right thumb to turn is really, really fun.

I haven't used a Steam controller long, although I have one brand new in the box still, but while awkward at first, I did feel like I could get accustomed to it. Whether or not it could ever compete with just a regular controller I couldn't be sure of. It does sort of boggle the mind that Valve would take trackpads, one of the single most hated computer peripherals for gaming, and slap them onto a controller, but I imagine they felt they needed something to try to stand out instead of just being another Xbox clone controller.

Its comfortable but not for everybody

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 16:20:39 »
Its comfortable but not for everybody

This is probably by far the best explanation of the controller.

I bought one for an ex, who proceeded to use it to replace every possible controller she could get her hands on, I never expected in my wildest dreams it'd get that much use out of anyone.

I just like them, enough to use them every so often, usually for platformers, rarely for anything else.

But I do get why everyone doesn't care for them, they are strange, the quality isn't absolutely top notch, and "flinging thumbs" is a huge problem of it.

I do wish more of Steams "Game on Linux" push went through, not that it hasn't helped a ton, but I can only imagine how the world would be now if they had just a little more might to push behind it with.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Larken

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 20:21:11 »

I haven't used a Steam controller long, although I have one brand new in the box still, but while awkward at first, I did feel like I could get accustomed to it. Whether or not it could ever compete with just a regular controller I couldn't be sure of. It does sort of boggle the mind that Valve would take trackpads, one of the single most hated computer peripherals for gaming, and slap them onto a controller, but I imagine they felt they needed something to try to stand out instead of just being another Xbox clone controller.

It's great for certain types of games. Especially great for stuff like shooters, or sandbox games with shooting elements.

I bought one a year back and struggled to like it, despite trying my best to. The biggest hurdle is probably the need to tweak and customize your settings for each game, which is also the SC's best feature; not something that you can plug in and jump into a game immediately. Being able to import community config is nice and all, but some of those are so heavily customized that it can be confusing to learn them. I've found a standard gamepad configuration with gyro activation (on right touchpad), and remapped back-paddles to be the simplest way to start off.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 16:02:42 »
Getting new controllers because keyboard only is pain

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 10:54:03 »

That depends on the genre, and the developers. GTA V's weapon/radio wheel is pretty clunky on pc, but most of the other controls are pretty good. Flight controls are even fairly nice once you get used to them, though analogue sticks are obviously nice for motorized transportation in any game. A lot of the console ports, especially Japanese ones, can be almost unplayable with a M&KB without some heavy remapping, but you can't beat a mouse for FPS, or RTS/grand strategy games. Some games do benefit from having more keys available for individual inputs than a controller can normally provide as well.

For me, gaming without a controller literally did cause muscle aches, but if you fight through the pain for a week or two, it becomes more natural. Now I can't go back unless the game is unplayable otherwise, controllers feel like toys to me.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 05:39:02 »

That depends on the genre, and the developers. GTA V's weapon/radio wheel is pretty clunky on pc, but most of the other controls are pretty good. Flight controls are even fairly nice once you get used to them, though analogue sticks are obviously nice for motorized transportation in any game. A lot of the console ports, especially Japanese ones, can be almost unplayable with a M&KB without some heavy remapping, but you can't beat a mouse for FPS, or RTS/grand strategy games. Some games do benefit from having more keys available for individual inputs than a controller can normally provide as well.

For me, gaming without a controller literally did cause muscle aches, but if you fight through the pain for a week or two, it becomes more natural. Now I can't go back unless the game is unplayable otherwise, controllers feel like toys to me.

The controls are wasd and f to fire , j for torpedo. Its fine for platforming.

Should i map torpedo to g?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 07:19:31 »
Show Image

What game is it? You should map it however you like. I do like to keep my games bone stock though unless some of the controls are abnormal to begin with. Then almost every game has the same controls, since there have been unofficial standards for many years.

g is often grenade, so I could see g making sense for a torpedo. I wonder why they would map j at all, that key's too far from the main gaming keys to make any sense ergonomically, unless you're playing with two hands on the keyboard instead of one on the mouse.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 11:37:26 »
Show Image

What game is it? You should map it however you like. I do like to keep my games bone stock though unless some of the controls are abnormal to begin with. Then almost every game has the same controls, since there have been unofficial standards for many years.

g is often grenade, so I could see g making sense for a torpedo. I wonder why they would map j at all, that key's too far from the main gaming keys to make any sense ergonomically, unless you're playing with two hands on the keyboard instead of one on the mouse.
LSW the complete saga

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:19:30 »
LSW the complete saga

Oh, yeah, those are console ports of fairly old games. No wonder.

Offline el_murdoque

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 06:56:05 »
I remember playing on a C64 with a controller of an older Atari console that fitted the sub-D socket. That Atari Joystick was the mushiest thing one can possibly imagine. There was absolutely no feedback whatsoever and every other input was wrong. Frustrating.

And I distinctly remember playing one of the first FIFA titles on the PS1 with a set of wireless infrared PS1 controllers.
Those were the absolute worst. They had no analog sticks and the direction buttons were buggy as hell. Playing FIFA against each other was as much a matter of luck as it was of skill since you never know when the IR system hiccuped and your commands would stop registering.

Offline mariopepper

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 06:58:28 »
I don't like NES controllers. They are so uncomfortable

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 10:13:31 »
I don't like NES controllers. They are so uncomfortable

Dogbone is a lifesaver