Author Topic: [GB] Octagon 75% Kustom Keyboard  (Read 220682 times)

Offline Data

Re: [GB] Octagon 75% Kustom Keyboard
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 13:09:11 »
Still 3 more days left.  :P

I hope they ship soon but I'm preparing myself for a delay.  Can't have a group buy without delays, it's just not proper.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #301 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 18:48:52 »
Hey guys, these will ship early next week. Say...by Wednesday hopefully!

Next will be a TKL....... :thumb:

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 18:53:05 »

Offline elton5354

« Reply #303 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 18:58:50 »
Oh and duck just sent me these acrylic. Maybe we can include this next time around.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #304 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:04:49 »

Orion V2?
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline tuantruong

« Reply #305 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:07:50 »

Offline elton5354

« Reply #306 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:09:58 »

Orion V2?

That`s right. I believe it will be half acrylic/pc with aluminium top. Around half the cost of the V1.

Something like this?  Not 100% sure yet as I haven't seen the pictures  for the V2.

Don't quote me on this though...might be full acrylic for all i know!

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #307 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:10:25 »
But I'm already broke as sh8 from all my duck boards T_T

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #308 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:15:03 »
But I'm already broke as sh8 from all my duck boards T_T

Shhh. shhhhhhh.....shhhh it's all ogre now.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #309 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 20:11:40 »
Damn, just when I want an aluminum TKL everything becomes acrylic :(

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #310 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 20:43:19 »
Wooo Duck TKL!!

Offline Data

« Reply #311 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 20:59:19 »

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #312 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 20:48:53 »
Very excited to get my first Keyboard kit from geekhack... I am such a noob that I have no idea what TKL is... tenkeyless?

Just to be sure... this is what I have gotten in addition to the Octagon GB:

Cherry MX Green switches x 100 or so
Micro USB Cable... (hoping that is right)
Ducky Cherry Keyset
A few stabilizers and the little white things that go on the stabilizers
And of course I already have a soldering kit / solder, as well as keypull tool

Anything I am missing?  Should I buy LED if I want them or do they come with the kit?

Thanks for any answers, as I said.. first timer here stepping up from just replacing keys to a full kb.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 January 2015, 20:52:20 by whizzard »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #313 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 20:49:21 »
Very excited to get my first Keyboard kit from geekhack... I am such a noob that I have no idea what TKL is... tenkeyless?

Correct.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #314 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 21:38:55 »

Ducky Cherry Keyset

Anything I am missing?  Should I buy LED if I want them or do they come with the kit?

Thanks for any answers, as I said.. first timer here stepping up from just replacing keys to a full kb.

You'll need a mini usb cable, not micro.
You would also need to purchase PCB mount Cherry stabilizers, not Costar ones. The plate doesn't support plate mount / Costar stabs.
Switch LEDs are not included either, so you'll need to source some of those.

---

Elton: I recall you said something about customizing the metallic sticker for the octagon. Was there a form we were supposed to fill out? Or did duck end up just using an "X"? Hopefully it's not just the username of the order.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 January 2015, 21:40:44 by Zeal »

Offline Data

« Reply #315 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 22:54:24 »

Ducky Cherry Keyset

You would also need to purchase PCB mount Cherry stabilizers, not Costar ones. The plate doesn't support plate mount / Costar stabs.

---

Elton: I recall you said something about customizing the metallic sticker for the octagon. Was there a form we were supposed to fill out? Or did duck end up just using an "X"? Hopefully it's not just the username of the order.

I did not know this about the plate.

Thankfully I haven't purchased stabs yet...

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
« Reply #316 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 00:07:51 »
I still need to source switches and LEDS. I've been slacking.

Also need a key set to rock with this. The dream is a GMK classic beige, but I've already got GMK Dolch, and that GMK Hyperfuse is also tempting me.  Any opinions from my fellow GB member to go with the blue grey case?

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #317 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 01:10:24 »

Ducky Cherry Keyset

---

In a pm to me Elton said by default they were going to include metal stickers with our usernames on it unless specified otherwise.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #318 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 01:14:04 »
he said to PM him if you wanted to customize the sticker. i did it around 2 weeks ago, no idea if it's too late now

whizzard, other optional parts you can get are custom weight springs and lube for springs/stabs/switches.

Also need a key set to rock with this. The dream is a GMK classic beige, but I've already got GMK Dolch, and that GMK Hyperfuse is also tempting me.  Any opinions from my fellow GB member to go with the blue grey case?
i'm waiting for GMK TA, my personal favorite colorscheme. dark teal and blue grey should be a decent match, but in my head i actually think Hyperfuse would fit the blue grey case most. Classic Beige i'm not a fan of, and it's much more picky with case colors than Hyperfuse or TA.

those are the currently known GH options, there will be even more as the year progresses. tons GMK sets being produced on Chinese forums as well, but i know nothing about those
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 February 2015, 01:16:45 by whentheclouds »

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #319 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 01:44:13 »

Orion V2?

That`s right. I believe it will be half acrylic/pc with aluminium top. Around half the cost of the V1.

Something like this?  Not 100% sure yet as I haven't seen the pictures  for the V2.

Show Image

hmmm, if this is true, i'm in!

For those who don't know, this is the unicorn x2 where it uses alu top and pc btm instead of pc top in unicorn x1.

please make the x2 buy a success :3

Offline Digitize

« Reply #320 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 02:40:52 »

Ducky Cherry Keyset

---

In a pm to me Elton said by default they were going to include metal stickers with our usernames on it unless specified otherwise.

luckily i find to like my default username.  :))

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #321 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 22:24:38 »

Orion V2?

Show Image

Unicorn X2 please please please!
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #322 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 00:37:40 »

Orion V2?

Show Image

Unicorn X2 please please please!

Yes yes!

Big god so diao want to buy how many unit?

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #323 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 01:08:05 »
Thanks a million for the tips everyone.  I got myself the right USB cable and PCB mount stabilizers.  I have taken one of my switches apart just to see what it was like... do the LEDs go right in the little two hole seat inside the switch?  Or do you mount the LEDs to the board?  With most electronics modding it is self explanatory when you look at the board you are working with, but I am just excited and thinking ahead.  Try to remember the first time you got a keyboard PCB, and that's where I am at. 

I ordered both the flat type and the standard diode type, Red in color along with 130ohm resistors... I might not even light the board up, but they were cheap enough to add it into the kit... I am just hoping I don't destroy the beautiful PCB I have on the way when I go to put it all together!  I will take it slow and ask before I act.  There are some wonderful tutorials and guides on this forum I will be relying on.. thanks again.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #324 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 01:26:20 »

Orion V2?
Show Image

Will you offer Plate + PCB separately as well? I want some extras to play with. Provided they fit the V1 of course. :D
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #325 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 01:32:30 »
Thanks a million for the tips everyone.  I got myself the right USB cable and PCB mount stabilizers.  I have taken one of my switches apart just to see what it was like... do the LEDs go right in the little two hole seat inside the switch?  Or do you mount the LEDs to the board?  With most electronics modding it is self explanatory when you look at the board you are working with, but I am just excited and thinking ahead.  Try to remember the first time you got a keyboard PCB, and that's where I am at. 

I ordered both the flat type and the standard diode type, Red in color along with 130ohm resistors... I might not even light the board up, but they were cheap enough to add it into the kit... I am just hoping I don't destroy the beautiful PCB I have on the way when I go to put it all together!  I will take it slow and ask before I act.  There are some wonderful tutorials and guides on this forum I will be relying on.. thanks again.

The LEDs sit ontop of the switch housing. You insert the legs into the little slit, and it'll pass through the two holes inside and into the PCB. Just make sure you get your polarity right when soldering!

The board also already comes with factory pre-soldered surface mount resistors. For most LEDs, it's not necessary to swap out the resistors unless you want to be super picky about brightness. If you got through-hole resistors, then you won't be able to use them on this PCB. ;)

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #326 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 02:03:39 »

The LEDs sit ontop of the switch housing. You insert the legs into the little slit, and it'll pass through the two holes inside and into the PCB. Just make sure you get your polarity right when soldering!

The board also already comes with factory pre-soldered surface mount resistors. For most LEDs, it's not necessary to swap out the resistors unless you want to be super picky about brightness. If you got through-hole resistors, then you won't be able to use them on this PCB. ;)

AAhhh interesting... thanks.  I was wondering if the resistors were completely necessary.  I am just hoping I get this worked out how I have it in my mind without any huge mistakes... I am the type that would get every switch soldered in and find out after that I did it upside-down or something foolish.  :-[ 

I have never done a GB before and I am sure it will be well worth the wait.   I was thinking it came all put together at first, (embarrassing) but the fact that I can really make it mine makes it that much better.  I selected the Octagon because it looked extremely nice and well made along with how many key layouts it offered.  Being new I wonder what would you experienced kb modders think is one of the best reasons to take this group buy over another?  What sets it apart from your run of the mill board on the custom keyboard vendor sites?  Just curious... thanks! (sorry for all the questions.. heh)

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #327 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 02:11:36 »

AAhhh interesting... thanks.  I was wondering if the resistors were completely necessary.  I am just hoping I get this worked out how I have it in my mind without any huge mistakes... I am the type that would get every switch soldered in and find out after that I did it upside-down or something foolish.  :-[ 

I have never done a GB before and I am sure it will be well worth the wait.   I was thinking it came all put together at first, (embarrassing) but the fact that I can really make it mine makes it that much better.  I selected the Octagon because it looked extremely nice and well made along with how many key layouts it offered.  Being new I wonder what would you experienced kb modders think is one of the best reasons to take this group buy over another?  What sets it apart from your run of the mill board on the custom keyboard vendor sites?  Just curious... thanks! (sorry for all the questions.. heh)

There aren't many 75% custom cnc'd aluminum keyboards on the market, so that alone sets this GB apart.

Additionally, you'll soon find out the definition of "wallethack". Gotta collect 'em all ;)

Offline Data

« Reply #328 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 09:18:25 »

What can we expect from the pre-installed resistors?  I was wanting to use LEDs I got from AliExpress.  These, actually:  http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/High-Quality-and-High-lightness-100pcs-2x3x4-Rectangular-square-type-sky-blue-color-led-beads-brightness600/629743_2022772817.html

They're rated at 20mA current and 3.2 Vf.  I'm guessing I would need a 100ohm, 1/8W resistor for those, but I understand there's some wiggle room.  I'm not exactly sure how that works.  Just don't want to screw it up...

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #329 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 09:42:00 »

There aren't many 75% custom cnc'd aluminum keyboards on the market, so that alone sets this GB apart.

Additionally, you'll soon find out the definition of "wallethack". Gotta collect 'em all ;)

Yep, I generally solve the decision-making process by buying everything. :)

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #330 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 02:02:35 »
Is there a certain driver or software package made for use with this keyboard?

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #331 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 02:09:00 »
Should be the same one as lightsaver and viper/eagle/

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #332 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 02:23:24 »
I hope these ship quickly I'm so eager to get it! Anyone know how long it usually takes for stuff to get to the US from Korea?

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #333 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 02:31:08 »
like 1 week on average since we paid for EMS shipping =)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 19:39:35 »
Is tracking going to be updated via paypal?

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #335 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 22:16:27 »
Depends. Sometimes he just gives it if you ask for it but either ways, its 1 week shipping.

Offline snipars

« Reply #336 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 03:50:00 »
holy **** this keyboard looks amazing. wish i had found this groupbuy before it ended
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #337 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 06:07:18 »
I'm sure you can pick up some extras from people if they do decide to drop their build.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #338 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:04:52 »

I agree with Zeal on the 75% CNC part.  Aside from that, ducks cool side windows look awesome, I'll find and link jaccow [i think] made a guide about diffusing them with sand paper.

holy **** this keyboard looks amazing. wish i had found this groupbuy before it ended

That's how I felt about duck lightsaver. I've owned three now.
Best of luck to you. :)

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #339 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:52:54 »
[...] Aside from that, ducks cool side windows look awesome, I'll find and link JaccoW [i think] made a guide about diffusing them with sand paper.

:D

Here is the link. ;)
The coarser you can get your sandpaper the more diffused it will look. I used grit 400 but some people even used grit 100.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:58:58 by JaccoW »
|||My other keyboards :
More
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #340 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 13:02:42 »
Thanks for beating me to it. It should be stickied in ducks sub forum. I'm gonna link it in my signature too.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #341 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 13:11:29 »
awesome tutorial. quick question, Elton posted an image above of a translucent insert and an opaque one

what difference will sanding the solid insert make, if any?

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #342 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 13:31:41 »
The opaque one was sandblasted I believe
|||My other keyboards :
More
x

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #343 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 13:42:21 »
Sanding the transparent insert with increasingly coarser sandpaper should result in a similar look. I have some spare inserts, I'll run to the hardware store next week and get back to you guys in a while.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #344 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 14:42:08 »
Any shipping news? 

I want to build these so I can start selling my other boards.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #345 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 14:48:01 »
There were some delays and problems from the sticker maker and they won't produce our peronsalized stickers. So now Duck is not going to include personalized stickers instead the sets will include  kbdlab, octagon, and their "X" logo stickers..

Very sorry about that.  Because of the stickers, the shipping is delayed a bit. I was told they will be shipped tomorrow or  in a few more days..

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #346 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 14:51:11 »
I guess the sticker was a..... sticking point then.

dealwithit.gif

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #347 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 14:52:02 »
There were some delays and problems from the sticker maker and they won't produce our peronsalized stickers. So now Duck is not going to include personalized stickers instead the sets will include  kbdlab, octagon, and their "X" logo stickers..

Very sorry about that.  Because of the stickers, the shipping is delayed a bit. I was told they will be shipped tomorrow or  in a few more days..
That is fine with me. I prefer those than my username haha

Offline elton5354

« Reply #348 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 14:52:31 »
Sanding the transparent insert with increasingly coarser sandpaper should result in a similar look. I have some spare inserts, I'll run to the hardware store next week and get back to you guys in a while.

The one I have is not sandblasted. I was told they're 3form acrylics?

http://www.3-form.com/materials/chroma/chroma_vapor/

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #349 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 15:01:11 »
Oh wow, I love 75%.  Sorry I missed this