Author Topic: need DIY DK83 Firmware / replace potimeter  (Read 4688 times)

Offline nani70

need DIY DK83 Firmware / replace potimeter
« on: Thu, 18 May 2023, 10:54:59 »
Hello,
I messed up and flashed the wrong Firmware (DK75)to my DIY DK83 Keyboard.
Can you help me and find it, or is it hopeless and I have an electronic brick now?
btw: Does this manufactorer have an official website?

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 May 2023, 06:04:57 by nani70 »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Im in dire need for the correct firmware flash tool for my DIY DK83
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 May 2023, 12:35:01 »
If you flashed the wrong firmware how to fix it will depend.

Does the system see anything when plugged in?
If it's just a variant, or semi compatible (I.E. firmware meant for the same or similar chip but different board) then there's two ways this can go. It's possible the pin you short to trigger a re-flash changed, figuring this out could be tricky but would let you flash like normal if you can figure it out. It;s also possible you just need a low level tool to flash it, I'm not sure what tool to use, but I've done it for bios and gpus.

If nothing happens when plugged in then you need a hardware based programming tool as you (probably) wiped out the bootloader. You can build one from a Raspberry Pi, possibly an Arduino or buy one for about $10 or so. These either clip on or get soldered to the chip directly and flash it that way and that would restore it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline nani70

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 May 2023, 12:57:42 »
A taobao seller gave me a link with software and firmware for different DIY Keyboards.
https://pan.baidu.com/s/16mrEcwl5ogTd9JPI9pVhNg Password:2022
He told me he has no Firmware for DK83
But there is only Software no Firmware for DK83 Keyboard. By accident I flashed DK75 Firmware. It still works. But if you press the knob there is no function anymore and LED control is not working properly.
This tool was so stupid just flashed the keyboard automatically without asking for conformation.

So there is nothing I can do?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 May 2023, 20:33:28 »
It's possible the firmware is the same and those are just no longer configured.. Which is what it sounds like and since it still works, that's a good sign.  More on this in a moment.

Before we get to that, you should read this in it's entirety.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/sqgbey/next_time_75_boards_warning/

With that out of the way...
This appears to be a white label keyboard (sold under many names) so it's very possible that it actually is a DK7 (or at least the PCB is) and those keys and such are just not properly configured. If you want to know for sure, try messaging someone with a similar board (or look for disassembly pictures) and look for pcb numbers. If they match, great, now you just need the appropriate software from one of the many clones.

When/if you get it going, please post how and everything so anyone else in your position can also find answers. Good luck.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline nani70

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 May 2023, 00:29:36 »
It seems the DIY brand build next time clones. They look very similar but they are not the same. Housing looks slightly different and nextime have white PCB while DIYs is black.
Also its not the same software look at the files in the folder they are completely different: (btw the virus is probably just an false positive due to macro functionality). Also I can get the DK83 Software to work by changing a number in the config file but the problem with LEDs Settings persist so its on the firmware site. I guess I have to return it, it is not my fault when they build such software that mess up your firmware in a blink. I'm so annoyed because somebody will have the flash tool. Taobao sellers are also not willing to help if you not bought from them which is understandable. I just don't understand why it is not possible to find contact information from the manufacturer:

There is some information present in the config file but it leads to nothing:
      <tc_support_url>www.beying.com</tc_support_url>
      <tc_update_url>http://120.79.47.78/update/</tc_update_url>
      <tc_spr15>@2021 QGAM Co.,Ltd. reserves all rights.</tc_spr15>

The software of almost all DIY boards:
Maybe somebody recognize the screenshot of the update tool?

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 May 2023, 00:39:43 by nani70 »

Offline nani70

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 May 2023, 06:02:23 »
btw: I have never seen such a potimeter. Is that standard? It looks very inferior and the knob mount is plastic. I would like to exchange it is that hard?

on the left cheap DK83 potimeter on the right better metal DK75 potimeter

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: need DIY DK83 Firmware / replace potimeter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 May 2023, 14:45:22 »
White label stuff comes with options.
Just because the case is different or the pcb color is different means nothing, companies do this all the time. Small housing changes, somewhat major housing changes, pots, knobs, are all pretty easily changed for a small fee. Electronics in particular have been getting swapped lately as companies have had to scramble to replace harder to get parts due to shortages (Asus in particular has had a hard time with it).

As for the false positive, that was my initial thought as well, but it appears at least one file did have a trojan, and most importantly, don't be downloading from a random file link given to you. A quality company will have an actual website, not a Dropbox or Google Drive or similar. This too screams white label, they have no software team because they have no team, it's a generic file the OEM manufacturer gave them and they can't even be bothered to create a website around it (or make sure it's compatible).

I'm not saying white label is entirely bad, lots of major companies make and sell white label stuff, including brands like LG and Samsung but it can be a problem when someone buys a batch to sell of as a random "company" and disappears as soon as the batch is gone or someone needs help. It is crazy easy for people to do this (email and a credit card) which is why it happens, especially in China where you can start and fold a company in seconds with little recourse especially from overseas buyers. This is also why you can't get much support for it, the company is just a reseller, they aren't designing or making anything, has no department to deal with it, it's likely just one person and they just placed an order. They also may have no support, the "OEM" also may have been a shell company who closed up shop by the time the buyer received their product.

If all this sounds sketchy, it can be, for you and the seller.
If you can, while ordering a white label product (if you know it is one), focus on companies who put effort into it (like Eppomaker and Red Dragon) and at least bother with a website where you can contact them, they're a lot less fly-by-night and much more likely to help when there's an issue.

I hope you get it fixed.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline nani70

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 May 2023, 14:54:57 »
Yes I agree, but Epomaker sold the Nextime keyboard with the infected file and that was never fixed. Also, there are reviews on amazon about Epomaker keyboards that the hotswap sockets are poorly made and solder joints break.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 May 2023, 23:57:52 »
Hot swap switch sockets are made by 2 companies, Kailh and Outemu.
Honestly, bad solder joints on them is probably better than the alternative, ripping the pad off the pcb which is also prone to happen when people force the switch in. The recommended method on any of these is to disassemble it and put your finger under the socket before installing a switch just for this reason but no one does and few companies tell you this.

As for Epomaker and the file, it doesn't surprise me, look at all the phones coming with malware and such. It's bottom of the barrel Chinese manufacturing and basically a turn-key business, even the OEMs are stealing (or "borrowing") software left and right and not caring where it comes from. Work in I.T. for a bit, this stuff is super common, and frankly nothing compared to some of the other things we see, it's why I try and use open source and open source compatible stuff as much as possible these days, that way, you always have an alternate source of software/firmware to what the manufacturer offers.

Don't get me wrong, China can make good stuff it's just that they can also make stuff suuuuuper cheap and everyone from suppliers to the OEM to resellers and drop shippers are trying to skim a buck from anyone and everyone and they all know there's little recourse when it goes wrong, and they don't care. You would be amazed at how creative and bold they can be about it as well.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline nani70

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 00:12:07 »
somebody asked me for uploading the software which I cant do:
its possible to download from baidu here without account
https://oneleaf.icu

for some reason I cant send an PN

Offline INEEDDIYFIRMWARE

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 00:25:55 »
I managed to download without oneleaf. I am now being watched by chinese spyware :cool:
 Here is a reupload to dropbox for anyone who still needs it.  https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/54za9pqxxyippqqbp1dm7/h?rlkey=hr6ql41ga8warzxszrt2v84tt&dl=0

In the meantime what do you think of my build? https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/16xf01k/dk75_build_im_in_love/  ^-^ ^-^ :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 October 2023, 00:30:59 by INEEDDIYFIRMWARE »