Author Topic: [IC] - Matias 60% ALPS keyboard with Cherry-compatible PCB  (Read 204547 times)

Offline dante

Re: [IC] - Matias 60% ALPS keyboard with Cherry-compatible PCB
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 08:31:20 »
This may be the only GB we end up doing, so we want to learn as much is possible from it,

I'm very anxious to try the new lower profile / minimalist design and give feedback!

Offline Luminair

« Reply #301 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 08:04:08 »
I also want to add that this is very much an experiment for us, so we're going to make it as open and flexible as possible.  We're setting aside some of the normal MOQ requirements for some of the options, and just see where it leads.  This may be the only GB we end up doing, so we want to learn as much is possible from it, giving it the best possible chance of success, with as few limitations as we can manage.

This sounds to me like businessperson who cares about enthusiast customers, and knows the value that they can bring to product development. A very wise businessperson, indeed!

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 07:10:33 »
Wow I haven't been on in a while. How's this IC running?

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #303 on: Fri, 07 November 2014, 07:37:03 »
Thanks for all the positive vibes...    :-)

The web pages are done, and we're just setting up the order page before going live.  It should be up tonight.

Offline dante

« Reply #304 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 11:13:24 »

The web pages are done, and we're just setting up the order page before going live.  It should be up tonight.

Well where is it?  Stop being such a tease!

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #305 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 17:22:52 »

Well where is it?  Stop being such a tease!

Sorry...  :-)

We did everything our end, but our online store service provider didn't get it updated in time on Friday.  Should be up on Monday.

Will keep you posted...

Offline dante

« Reply #306 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 22:14:57 »
Looks like it's up!! http://matias.ca/60/pc/

Offline dante

« Reply #307 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 22:25:44 »
Matias, I urge you to contact MassDrop to get more units out there.  In the last few months they have sold over a thousand Poker II MX Clear keyboards.  The headache might be worth the sales of several hundred keyboards at the very least.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #308 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 22:36:14 »
What color is the aluminum case?  Do the PC layout plate and caps support a full right shift like the Mac?

Offline dante

« Reply #309 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 22:38:38 »
Matias initial question(s):

1. The $5 PCB option - I assume it includes a list of parts to purchase?
2. Isn't a 200 pack of switches a little overkill for a 60% board?
3. The blank keyset option is $30 - but doesn't differentiate between PC/Mac and ANSI/UK/etc.  Is that an additional charge on top of the printed set?
4. Do the plastic and aluminum cases provide the same typing height?  In other words is one lower profile than the other?
5. Can you provide any info on the dampened linear switch?  How many grams - how smooth - maybe your comparisons between it and older Linear Alps / Cherry Linears?

I think that's all ... thanks! ;)

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #310 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 00:02:34 »

Looks like it's up!! http://matias.ca/60/pc/

It is and it isn't...  The pages are up, but the store hasn't been updated, so you can't order yet.

I was going to hold-off posting the link until everything worked, but oh well...

Matias, I urge you to contact MassDrop to get more units out there.  In the last few months they have sold over a thousand Poker II MX Clear keyboards.  The headache might be worth the sales of several hundred keyboards at the very least.

We probablly will, but I want to see how many orders we get from our own channels first.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #311 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 00:18:46 »
What color is the aluminum case?

Anodized aluminum like Apple's stuff.

Do the PC layout plate and caps support a full right shift like the Mac?

The PCB does, but the plate doesn't.  We didn't get enough people asking for that option.  However, it's still possible to build it.

Matias initial question(s):

1. The $5 PCB option - I assume it includes a list of parts to purchase?

Yes, we'll post a BOM list.

Yes, but it's our standard size.  There are other sellers that you can buy smaller quantities from.

3. The blank keyset option is $30 - but doesn't differentiate between PC/Mac and ANSI/UK/etc.  Is that an additional charge on top of the printed set?

No, the blank set includes all keycaps for all layouts.

4. Do the plastic and aluminum cases provide the same typing height?  In other words is one lower profile than the other?

Yes, same height for both.

5. Can you provide any info on the dampened linear switch?  How many grams - how smooth - maybe your comparisons between it and older Linear Alps / Cherry Linears?

It's approx. 50 grams.  Internally, it's very similar to the quiet click switches.  It has a clickleaf, but it's been flattened to remove the tactile bump.

Offline hjkl_over_wasd

« Reply #312 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 01:42:41 »
Matias - You don't write anything about the dip switch settings on the GB webpage. Did all the features you confirmed in this thread make it to the finished product?

Offline Norwegian

« Reply #313 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 01:55:41 »
Hi Matias,

I see no "PC - ISO Layout" under the 60% Keyboard with Clicky Switches. Does this mean you won't sell this keyboard pre-assembled with ISO layout... ?
Ducky Shine 2 Green LED MX Brown | Filco Majestouch2 91 TKL MX Red | Model F 5150 XT | Model M 52G9658 | Leopold FC660M MX Green | HHKB Pro2 PD-KB400W

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #314 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 02:04:14 »
[The linear switch is] approx. 50 grams.  Internally, it's very similar to the quiet click switches.  It has a clickleaf, but it's been flattened to remove the tactile bump.
How does the linear switch’s spring compare to the other switches’? Is it identical, or is it longer/shorter and/or softer/stiffer?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #315 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 05:54:17 »
Oh gosh.  Party has started.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #316 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 07:09:21 »
Damn I want one. Matias, till when is the GB open?
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline pasph

« Reply #317 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 08:17:37 »
No ISO layout with Quiet Linear switches?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline dante

« Reply #318 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 08:48:35 »

Yes, but it's our standard size.  There are other sellers that you can buy smaller quantities from.

That's ok.  Maybe I can track down someone locally who is willing to split an order of switches.

No, the blank set includes all keycaps for all layouts.

Would you be able to update the page to allow blanks as an option when ordering complete boards?  Otherwise it's $290 + $30 on top of it.  If not  I might just order everything DIY.  Not complaining - you've done a tremendous job breaking this all out as it is.  I just had planned on buying multiple boards and am trying to cut costs where I can so my wife doesn't smother me in my sleep.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 November 2014, 08:50:13 by dante »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #319 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 09:37:23 »
Interesting project.

I had hoped that the Mac version would include an option for a short Right Shift, so that I could reprogram the adjacent Del key as Fn.

Does the Fn key in either the Mac or PC version send a scan code? That is, can it be remapped in software? If not, then the Fn key(s) will be wasted space for me.

Can I get extra Mac keycaps if I order the PC version?

Too bad about no PBT in the initial run. The odd-size bottom row will make it difficult or impossible to get replacement keycaps.

It would have been great to have been able to get a HHKB layout with Matias switches. As it stands, I am not sure it would be worth trying to retrofit the 60% Matias to some semblance of a HHKB. I regret that I will probably need to pass on this opportunity and stick with my HHKB.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #320 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 09:47:15 »
Matias - You don't write anything about the dip switch settings on the GB webpage. Did all the features you confirmed in this thread make it to the finished product?

Yes, everything I confirmed will be included.  Which one in particular did you have in mind?  Several are mentioned on the web page... 

"The Matias 60% keyboard GB has many unique features that came at the specific request of users -- including swappable Ctrl / Caps Lock keys, Fn-layer triggers for system-side macros..."

"both keyboard layouts can be set to either PC or Mac, via a DIP switch setting -- so you are free to purchase whichever model you prefer."

I see no "PC - ISO Layout" under the 60% Keyboard with Clicky Switches. Does this mean you won't sell this keyboard pre-assembled with ISO layout... ?
No ISO layout with Quiet Linear switches?

You can get those if you assemble them yourself.  If you don't have the soldering skills (or inclination) to assemble it yourself, we can probably hook you up with someone who can do it for you for a fee.

[The linear switch is] approx. 50 grams.  Internally, it's very similar to the quiet click switches.  It has a clickleaf, but it's been flattened to remove the tactile bump.
How does the linear switch’s spring compare to the other switches’? Is it identical, or is it longer/shorter and/or softer/stiffer?

It's identical to the spring inside the Quiet Click switch.  You can get a close facsimile by opening a Quiet Click switch, flattening the leaf bumps with a pair of pliers, and then reassembling the switch.  Here's what the Linear Leaf looks like vs. the Quiet Click Leaf...

81592-0

FYI, we did 5 different designs and this one was picked as feeling the best -- the other 4 designs were spring only (no leaf).

Would you be able to update the page to allow blanks as an option when ordering complete boards?  Otherwise it's $290 + $30 on top of it.  If not  I might just order everything DIY.  Not complaining - you've done a tremendous job breaking this all out as it is.  I just had planned on buying multiple boards and am trying to cut costs where I can so my wife doesn't smother me in my sleep.

Okay, don't want to imperil your marriage  :))  so just order the model you want, but do NOT buy the blank keycaps.  Instead, just write this in the special request box...  "Please assemble with BLANK keycaps instead."

Offline pasph

« Reply #321 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 10:27:43 »
In "DIY Component Parts" "Plate + Stabilizers" what kind of stabilizers do you ship MX, ALPs or both?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #322 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 10:34:20 »
Is there a DIP switch setting to swap Backspace and Backslash?

Offline Norwegian

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 10:48:35 »
Matias,
You can get those if you assemble them yourself.  If you don't have the soldering skills (or inclination) to assemble it yourself, we can probably hook you up with someone who can do it for you for a fee.

My interest in this keyboard will vanish 100% (and not just 60%) if I have to assemble it myself (not only do I not have a soldering station, I haven't soldered anything before), and if I cannot get an ISO version of this keyboard. I own far too many US layout keyboards as it is already, and don't need any more of those.

You say you can "probably" hook me up with someone who can do it for a fee, but I'm not onboard with "probably", because I'm not going to be ordering parts that won't be assembled. So please offer a guarantee or I'm out.

And with regards to the fee, what would be the estimated price for this?

I really do like the idea of this keyboard, and would like to have it, but not in parts.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 November 2014, 10:50:19 by Norwegian »
Ducky Shine 2 Green LED MX Brown | Filco Majestouch2 91 TKL MX Red | Model F 5150 XT | Model M 52G9658 | Leopold FC660M MX Green | HHKB Pro2 PD-KB400W

Offline dante

« Reply #324 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 10:50:42 »
Deskthority has a lot of UK members who could probably help you assemble one.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #325 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 10:53:16 »
I really do like the idea of this keyboard, and would like to have it, but not in parts.

Depending on where you are Norwegian, there are builders who can help if you choose not to go through Matias:

UK: Margo Baggins
US: dorkvader, tjcaustin, TheChemist, LastPilot

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #326 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 11:17:02 »

It's identical to the spring inside the Quiet Click switch.  You can get a close facsimile by opening a Quiet Click switch, flattening the leaf bumps with a pair of pliers, and then reassembling the switch.  Here's what the Linear Leaf looks like vs. the Quiet Click Leaf...
(Attachment Link)

Thanks for the diagram of the leaf spring!

I was also wondering about the helical spring. Is it the same as the helical spring in the tactile/clicky versions?

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #327 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 11:56:37 »

(Attachment Link)

Thanks for the diagram of the leaf spring!

I was also wondering about the helical spring. Is it the same as the helical spring in the tactile/clicky versions?

It's the same helical spring that's in the Quiet Click switch.  The louder Click switch has a different spring.

And with regards to the fee, what would be the estimated price for this?

I see that a few other posters offered suggestions.  I'm flying to China tomorrow and this will be one of the things I hope to arrange.  If we can find someone there willing to hand assembly these, for special requests, it will simplify things tremendously.

In the mean time, I would hold-off ordering until this is resolved.

Is there a DIP switch setting to swap Backspace and Backslash?

Yes.

In "DIY Component Parts" "Plate + Stabilizers" what kind of stabilizers do you ship MX, ALPs or both?

Both MX and ALPS stabilizers will be included.  You can see them both in the gallery photos...

http://matias.ca/60/pc/viewer/5.jpg

http://matias.ca/60/pc/viewer/6.jpg

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #328 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 12:19:45 »
Interesting project.

I had hoped that the Mac version would include an option for a short Right Shift, so that I could reprogram the adjacent Del key as Fn.

The PCB supports it -- it's the same PCB for all models.  So if you're building it yourself, you could get the PC version, and cut the little crossbars in the nav cluster, then solder the full height Mac modifiers instead.

Does the Fn key in either the Mac or PC version send a scan code? That is, can it be remapped in software? If not, then the Fn key(s) will be wasted space for me.

Fn does not send a code.

Can I get extra Mac keycaps if I order the PC version?

Yes, we'll have those available as well.

Too bad about no PBT in the initial run. The odd-size bottom row will make it difficult or impossible to get replacement keycaps.

Just to be clear, the bottom row will be PBT.

How many more end up being PBT depends on which MOQ level we achieve (650 or 1k pcs).

We'll be offering replacement keycaps.

It would have been great to have been able to get a HHKB layout with Matias switches. As it stands, I am not sure it would be worth trying to retrofit the 60% Matias to some semblance of a HHKB. I regret that I will probably need to pass on this opportunity and stick with my HHKB.

Okay, let me know what you ultimately decide, and why.  We're hoping to learn as much as possible from this project.

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 November 2014, 12:22:29 by Matias »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #329 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 14:54:27 »
If I end up liking these linear switches more than the linear greens that I spent so much time and money harvesting, I'm going to be pissed at you Matias.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #330 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 20:39:13 »
I have been following this thread for a long time, and I'm really interested in this keyboard.

Unfortunately the GB options do not do me any favor.

I want this keyboard, but I need it to be in AZERTY.

I understand I'm a minority, so I have to adapt.

A solution for me is to purchase it in DIY, install Cherry MX switches on the top part, and put AZERTY keycaps on these switches.

However I still need to purchase the Matias switches for the bottom row, of which I'll only use 14 out of 200, as well as the Matias-compatible keycaps, of which I'll only use 14 out of 68.

It's a very inefficient solution.

Matias, can you sell me AZERTY keycaps? I don't care about the modifiers and navigation keys, I would just want the letters, numbers and punctuation keycaps to match the AZERTY standard.

I see on the Keyboard Company website that the Quiet Pro exists in AZERTY, and I suspect a keycaps set from this model would fit the 60%.

This way, I would simply order the 60% fully assembled and switch the keycaps.

Is it possible?
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 November 2014, 22:25:32 by spiceBar »

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
AZERTY workarounds
« Reply #331 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 20:55:55 »
Another way, would be if Matias could sell you just the bottom row keys, and you source the switches through 7-bit or MK or whatever.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline SacKRoll

« Reply #332 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 21:24:40 »
this keyboard + aluminum case + all pbt keycaps would be awesome.

later i'll solve a doubt about that international shipping.

Offline belac

« Reply #333 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 21:30:54 »
I am so excited about this board. The PC US layout is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  Thanks Matias  :thumb:

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
Re: AZERTY workarounds
« Reply #334 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 22:34:49 »
Another way, would be if Matias could sell you just the bottom row keys, and you source the switches through 7-bit or MK or whatever.

You are right, but I would prefer to buy everything from Matias. It's not that I have a problem with the other sellers, it's just that it feels right to purchase everything from the initiator of the GB, from a moral point of view. Don't laugh, I'm serious.

I would prefer to have a Matias keyboard full of Matias switches, and even Matias keycaps, all purchased directly from his company. That would be my first real Matias keyboard (I have a Matias folding keyboard, but that doesn't count).

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #335 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 23:03:10 »
If I end up liking these linear switches more than the linear greens that I spent so much time and money harvesting, I'm going to be pissed at you Matias.

Well, I don't know which you'll like more, but I can guarantee that the new switches feel different from greens.  :-)

Matias, can you sell me AZERTY keycaps? I don't care about the modifiers and navigation keys, I would just want the letters, numbers and punctuation keycaps to match the AZERTY standard.

I see on the Keyboard Company website that the Quiet Pro exists in AZERTY, and I suspect a keycaps set from this model would fit the 60%.

Is it possible?

Absolutely yes.

Simply buy the UK or German layout, and then replace the keycaps with AZERTY.  The AZERTY caps that The Keyboard Company is selling are ones that we had made, in part to service this GB.  We had planned to sell them ourselves, but The Keyboard Company bought up our entire inventory of AZERTY.  I encourage you to purchase from them.

Sorry for the confusion.  Other ISO layouts not on offer can be serviced in the same way.  Let me know if there are any requests.

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #336 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 23:15:35 »
I am so excited about this board. The PC US layout is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  Thanks Matias  :thumb:

Great!

And I'm happy to report that the order page is now functional, so we can start taking orders...

http://matias.ca/60/pc/#order

I probably won't have time to post the GB notice until after my flight lands, so feel free to spread the word in the mean time.

Thanks to all who contributed to the discussion that ultimately led to this day!  :-)

Offline hjkl_over_wasd

« Reply #337 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 00:37:19 »

Yes, everything I confirmed will be included.  Which one in particular did you have in mind?  Several are mentioned on the web page... 

"The Matias 60% keyboard GB has many unique features that came at the specific request of users -- including swappable Ctrl / Caps Lock keys, Fn-layer triggers for system-side macros..."

"both keyboard layouts can be set to either PC or Mac, via a DIP switch setting -- so you are free to purchase whichever model you prefer."

I was thinking about the advanced Caps-lock/esc feature, where the caps key gets assigned a dual-role behavior for esc when tapped and ctrl when held down. With this setting freeing up the esc key, the key to the left of '1' becomes a pure `~ key.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 November 2014, 00:39:17 by hjkl_over_wasd »

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #338 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 08:08:53 »

Is it possible?

Absolutely yes.

Simply buy the UK or German layout, and then replace the keycaps with AZERTY.  The AZERTY caps that The Keyboard Company is selling are ones that we had made, in part to service this GB.  We had planned to sell them ourselves, but The Keyboard Company bought up our entire inventory of AZERTY.  I encourage you to purchase from them.

Sorry for the confusion.  Other ISO layouts not on offer can be serviced in the same way.  Let me know if there are any requests.

I have contacted the Keyboard Company and they tell me that the keycaps sets are going to be added to their listing in a few days. I'll be able to purchase an AZERTY set directly from them.

This clears the last hurdle for me. I'm going to order my 60% now.

Mmh... I'm thinking about ordering two, actually! :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 November 2014, 15:37:13 by spiceBar »

Offline Norwegian

« Reply #339 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 15:03:02 »
Matias,

I will wait til you have news from China (about pre-assembled Clicky ISO), and then take it from there.

Offline vernonlloyd

« Reply #340 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 18:41:29 »
Finally!

If we order now, what's the ETA? :-) (feeling excited...)

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #341 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 19:12:12 »
Finally!

Why don't you read the product's page? The ETA is written over there.

NOTE: you are going to feel less excited after reading it.

Offline SacKRoll

« Reply #342 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 20:55:25 »
matias, will this order time be up only for a month?

Offline SacKRoll

« Reply #343 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 13:47:43 »
matias?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Matias 60% GB thread in the Matias subforum, now.
« Reply #344 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 16:49:41 »
While I haven't seen a response to this question, I'd like to point out that Matias has its own sub-forum, and
a GB thread was started there. You might try re-asking your question in the GB thread.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #345 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 17:04:31 »
Sorry for the radio silence...

I've arrived in China and had a bunch a vendors that needed an early visit -- so I've mostly been away from email / Internet for a few days.  Going down to breakfast now, and will post answers and an update when I get back.

Offline SacKRoll

« Reply #346 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 18:20:45 »
thank you very much, AKmalamute and Matias!

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #347 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 05:12:53 »
Matias,

I will wait til you have news from China (about pre-assembled Clicky ISO), and then take it from there.

Okay, I've confirmed that we can pre-assemble small quantities with the various switch types, so I'll be updating the order form, and will let you know when it's up.

Finally!

We plan to start development after CES in January.  It shouldn't take longer than 8-12 months to finish it -- though we're officially saying 8-18 months to give ourselves some extra wiggle room.  However, this is a fairly straightforward design, which should not pose any problems, so I'd say closer to 8 months.

The plan is to keep it up until shortly after CES, which is about 1.5 months.

If we're close to the next MOQ level for a PBT upgrade, we'll run it a little longer so that we hit that upgrade level, and everybody who ordered can benefit.

We break even at 250pcs, so we're hoping we sell that amount at a minimum.

Let me know if there are any other questions...

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 November 2014, 05:20:33 by Matias »

Offline hjkl_over_wasd

« Reply #348 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 08:13:13 »
Matias - Can you confirm the implementation of dual-role caps-lock (esc/ctrl) along with a dedicated `~ key in the firmware?

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #349 on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 08:56:47 »
Matias - Can you confirm the implementation of dual-role caps-lock (esc/ctrl) along with a dedicated `~ key in the firmware?

Yes, this is in the spec.  Will include it.