Author Topic: cutting double-sleeved cable to add aviator connector?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline jackrabbit

cutting double-sleeved cable to add aviator connector?
« on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 12:40:52 »
Does anyone know if it would work to double-sleeve a cable, coil it, and *then* cut it where I want to add the aviator connector? Or would it be too much of a pain, i.e. to cut the techflex back further than the cable in order to get some wire exposed for soldering, etc.

Trying to decide whether to cut the cable, paracord, and sleeving before putting anything together, or just assemble it and then cut it in the middle. Thanks!
"I like my keyboards thunderous and my plates stiff." -Maledicted

Offline nevin

Re: cutting double-sleeved cable to add aviator connector?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 12:51:14 »
i would assemble as you go (connector by connector)
you could use a string to get an idea of how short you want the short end to be if you're unsure.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Fabi

Re: cutting double-sleeved cable to add aviator connector?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 14:09:43 »
I wound my USB cable first (without heading it) to get the length. Then I sleeved it (fixed it with heat shrink tube) and soldered the connectors. The real coiling came last.
Cutting the cable and sleeve after coiling might work but could be a pain in the ass.