Author Topic: Kinesis key well  (Read 7217 times)

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
Kinesis key well
« on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 04:07:16 »
Did somebody say kinesis sells the key wells separately?
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Jim66

Kinesis key well
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 07:54:12 »
You sure can, one or two members have order members have ordered key wells with red switches.

I think that you need the part though.

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
Kinesis key well
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 08:33:36 »
Interesting - what does that include, the curved striped PCBs with switches and keycaps? If I would have thought of that I'd have fixed up some old Kinesis that had died from overly affectionate use. Maybe better though, you'd be surprised what 10 years of an engineers hand will do to plastic. That's why I get the Advantage Pro with it's nice shiny durable paint.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline Jim66

Kinesis key well
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 09:07:34 »
Quote from: Architect;493998
Interesting - what does that include, the curved striped PCBs with switches and keycaps? If I would have thought of that I'd have fixed up some old Kinesis that had died from overly affectionate use. Maybe better though, you'd be surprised what 10 years of an engineers hand will do to plastic. That's why I get the Advantage Pro with it's nice shiny durable paint.

Yeah, it includes everything apart from the keycaps (I think). You give them your model number (different models have different mounts ect) and they send you the correct keywells.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Kinesis key well
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 10:38:50 »
I've done this. Everything is the same except there are 2 pin outs (I believe SN#40,000 is the change over). They supply the keywells, sans keycaps, and they are plug and play, no other parts, and are held in with 3 screws each.

If you order the red Cherry keywells, they can also send you the red switches for the thumb clusters. You can desolder/solder them, or just change out the stems with no soldering. (EDIT---This is an additional cost)
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2012, 14:59:14 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
Kinesis key well
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 12:55:24 »
Just thought one might just order those for the split kinesis project and make some housing for them, then you just need the controller..
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline Lanx

Kinesis key well
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 13:25:23 »
having taken apart and cut a kinesis in half and even played around seriously for a few days trying to place kinesis keywells inside a microsoft ergo 4k, i can say it's difficult to position the keywells in any shape or form without the assistance and help of the case, since the curved round bowl shaped nature of the keywells just doesn't... sit properly.

fossala

Kinesis key well
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 13:41:22 »
The red key wells are $90 for the pair and $15 for 15 switches for the thumb clusters.

Offline sordna

Kinesis key well
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 13:51:45 »
Quote from: input nirvana;494063
If you order the red Cherry keywells, they also send you the red switches for the thumb clusters

Are you sure you got the thumb switches without paying extra for them ?  I don't think $90 covers both the wells and the thumb switches, I was told they are separate items.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

Kinesis key well
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 14:57:59 »
Lanx is very correct. I've spent way too much of my life looking for the perfect situation, and at this point it's 95% using the existing case top. The other 5% can and will be done someday in metal or exotic wood (by ME!) but is a very serious and time consuming challenge. It will look like a Transformer when I'm done.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 January 2012, 15:00:26 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Lanx

Kinesis key well
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 15:47:42 »
also if you handle the keywells for too long, your hands start to hurt, cuz of the damn solder pins pricking into your skin lol. I mean i honestly played with and held 2 keywells for hours thinking... "how the heck am i gonna mount this inside a ergo 4k). Then i looked at my hands all roughed up.

Offline Input Nirvana

Kinesis key well
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 January 2012, 16:20:39 »
Been there brotha! And when I saw and read your mods, I KNEW EXACTLY what you were going through :)  heh heh

Offline boli

Kinesis key well
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 02:51:03 »
Quote from: sordna;494207
Are you sure you got the thumb switches without paying extra for them ?  I don't think $90 covers both the wells and the thumb switches, I was told they are separate items.

I did get a couple of red switches for the thumb cluster for free, together with 2 LF key wells ($90) plus shipping ($9, standard mail to Switzerland). Then again I ordered an Advantage LF in September 2011 ($325 plus $85 UPS), maybe that makes a difference.
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

fossala

Kinesis key well
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 02:54:00 »
Quote from: boli;494684
I did get a couple of red switches for the thumb cluster for free, together with 2 LF key wells ($90) plus shipping ($9, standard mail to Switzerland). Then again I ordered an Advantage LF in September 2011 ($325 plus $85 UPS), maybe that makes a difference.
What the hell, I got quoted this to the UK.
Your shipping cost came to $52.11 for UPS Expedited shipping which is their cheapest
option. This price does not include any duties or taxes that you will be responsible
for upon delivery.
That was for 2 keywells and 15 red switches.

Offline boli

Kinesis key well
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 January 2012, 03:13:09 »
UPS is very expensive, the original shipping quote two Switzerland was a whopping $70 (including their company discount) for shipment of two LF key wells and a couple switches. As I wasn't in a hurry I took the snail mail option, which was quoted as "less than $15" - it turned out to be $9.

As for the free switches, maybe they were in Christmas mood, it shipped December 23rd. ;) Or more likely the fact I purchased a full LF keyboard not long ago.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2012, 03:16:07 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com