Author Topic: [IC] Ellya a premium keyboard based on the Alice layout(Linear/Tactile)  (Read 9218 times)

Offline whezil

ELLYA - Linear/Tactile Keyboard

260275-0

I would like to introduce you to Ellya, a premium keyboard based on the Alice layout.
Just like switches I would like to offer two different variants of Ellya, one Tactile and one Linear.

The Tactile Variant which will include the horizontal ridges across the board
And the Linear Variant which will have a smooth surface finish.

Ellya - Tactile Variant

(Note: This was a version 0.1 prototype of only the top plate.)

260277-1

260279-2   260281-3   260283-4   260285-5

Ellya - Linear Variant

(Note: These are renders I do not have a prototype of this variant yet.)

260287-6

260297-7   260293-8   260291-9

First IC form: https://forms.gle/3pygktRM5vNCAkwKA

The Build:

Mounting: Gasket Mount
Colors: TBA
Plate Material: Waiting for feedback from IC Form
PCB: Not yet designed-
Waiting for feedback from IC Form but will include a USB C daughter board, ESD protection and will be QMK configurable
Rotary encoder/s: Waiting for feedback from IC Form(see below for more details)
Hot swap: Waiting for feedback from IC Form (Soldered version/hot swap version)
RGB: Waiting for feedback from IC Form (No RGB/ Per key)

Rotary Encoder/s:

260295-10

In the design of the PCB I plan to allow for a switch or rotary encoder to be soldered into place - you can choose if you want to solder a rotary encoder in place or not
PCB Design Option 1: 1 Optional Rotary Encoder positioned at 1 indicated in the picture above.
PCB Design Option 2: 3 Optional Rotary Encoders positioned from 1 - 3 indicated in the picture above.

Extra Info :

Length: 180mm/7.087inches
Width: 400mm/15.748inches
Peak Height: 27mm/1.062inches

The markings on the Tactile Variant are not steps, they are ridges and are not sharp so they will not cut you.

Images of the Tactile Ellya Variant: https://imgur.com/a/nDDtGvP
Renders of the Linear Ellya Variant: https://imgur.com/a/j9VvASj

If you have any suggestions please fill out the IC and let me know what you're thinking.
If this IC does well then I will do a limited once off GB, no R2, one run only.
If I have any updates/changes to make, I will be posting them here.

If you would like to support my IC you can copy and paste this into your signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110802][img width=275 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/HXLUDGl.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 February 2021, 02:55:08 by whezil »

Offline Baka Bot

Re: [IC] Ellya a premium keyboard based on the Alice layout(Linear/Tactile)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 05:00:59 »
Interesting design

Offline whezil

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 10:59:40 »
Interesting design
Thank you, I wanted to make something that does not conform to the norms but rather pushes the limits of a design and what can be CNC machined.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 11:11:42 »
What are my eyes seeing.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 13:00:38 »
i like the innovation but i cant say i like the board. glwic anyways

Offline Havattack

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 14:13:36 »
Pretty cool design. You should make it not Alice though, you know.. so it's not Alice....
I kid, I kid, it's awesome, and i'm sure the peeps that like Alice will love it :thumb:

Looks like a Mayan pyramid, a shape i was weirdly obsessed with as a young child for some reason.... My mom has like a hundred drawings from when i was in kindergarten, that i did of them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 January 2021, 14:16:24 by Havattack »

Offline whezil

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 18:54:48 »
Pretty cool design. You should make it not Alice though, you know.. so it's not Alice....
I kid, I kid, it's awesome, and i'm sure the peeps that like Alice will love it :thumb:

Looks like a Mayan pyramid, a shape i was weirdly obsessed with as a young child for some reason.... My mom has like a hundred drawings from when i was in kindergarten, that i did of them.

Thank you. I am hoping they will like it too!
It is similar to a pyramid however I would like to clarify that the horizontal lines you see on the Tactile Ellya Variant are ridges/grooves and are not steps/squared off. This can be seen best from the side angle view.

Offline powwu

• Discord
[IC] Ellya a premium keyboard based on the Alice layout(Linear/Tactile)
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 22:43:53 »
I remember seeing this somewhere a while back, have you posted this before?

It's an interesting design, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes

some more things: I think if you keep the ridges horizontal the whole way, itd look like a cool gazebo. the vertical ridges on the side throw it off, they should look like steps
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 January 2021, 22:45:41 by powwu »

Offline whezil

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 15:10:53 »
I remember seeing this somewhere a while back, have you posted this before?

It's an interesting design, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes

some more things: I think if you keep the ridges horizontal the whole way, itd look like a cool gazebo. the vertical ridges on the side throw it off, they should look like steps

I posted it on r/customkeyboards and a few discord servers a while back but nothing on geekhack.

Thank you for the feedback!