geekhack Marketplace > Bingecap Archive

Lets talk shop~

<< < (8/9) > >>

Melvang:

--- Quote from: mkawa on Tue, 03 November 2015, 07:32:37 ---I want to expand on the ASME standard for pressure vessels. What this means in factual terms is that the welders involved in making the pressure vessel have ASME certification. The facility manufacturing the vessels must also have ISO and ASME certifications. Finally a comprehensive visual and usually x-ray inspection is performed for every finished unit. It is not a guarantee that the unit will not fail. However, it is about the best that we have available. Finally, The vast majority of of ASME certified vessels are made in the USA with traceable sources of steel. I emphasize this because steel and aluminum sourced from overseas is often very high in impurities. These impurities can lead to catastrophic failure despite a sound vessel design.

--- End quote ---

Just to provide an anecdotal experience with Chinese "steel".  Couple years ago I was involved with a very large plant expansion project at a foundry.  The company that John Deere bought the equipment from was based out of Italy.  This company sourced all their steel from China.  One of the iron workers was preforming a vertical weld on some ~1.5" thick steel, and a 3/4" ball bearing falls out of the steel.  It wasn't thrown at him, there was a void the exact size and shape of the bearing in the beam.   

Moral of the story, don't trust Chinese building materials of any fashion, all the way down to sheet rock.

There was a Florida based general contractor that had gotten a batch of drywall from China because it was pennies on the dollar compared to what could be sourced here.  Come to find out the drywall was loaded with arsnic and was leaching fumes into the homes to the point where people had to gut brand new homes and insurance wasn't covering them.

Binge:

--- Quote from: Zorberema on Wed, 04 November 2015, 17:14:48 ---
--- Quote from: Binge on Wed, 04 November 2015, 16:44:27 ---
--- Quote from: Zorberema on Wed, 04 November 2015, 16:37:52 ---
--- Quote from: Binge on Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:59:15 ---
--- Quote from: zlittell on Wed, 04 November 2015, 13:04:25 ---What do you generally use as your casting resin?  Do you personally use aluminum molds or silicone.  Have been talking to a buddy with a degree in industrial design who has experience with casting stuff.  He seemed intrigued by the subculture lol

--- End quote ---

I don't want to share this kind of information because you will not benefit from me telling you to buy a product.  You will benefit from reading about casting and talking to your chemical manufacturer of choice about their products.

--- End quote ---

I've been looking around for quite a while for improvement of my current resin, but still haven't found any good manufacturers that ship to Sweden/ Europe... Do you know of/ could you recommend any? Been reading through the thread, really usefull information coming from experienced artisans! Thank you very much for sharing, it really helps a lot!

--- End quote ---

What is the issue with your resin?  I doubt the resin is the issue.  It is probably environmental during the cure.

--- End quote ---

I've been trying out many different methods to inprove my casting; mainly to reduce bubbles/ improve details. The problem I've been having is that the caps, as many have pointed out, have the texture and looks of "candy". I've seen several other artisans having this look while beginning making caps, such as katzenkinder in his first sales. I've very recently invested in new sculpting materials which greatly improves the texture/ details of the caps; I haven't made any molds using these though. I will see how this looks soon, but I doubt it will fix this specific problem, as the same texture still applies to for example blanks. I am aware that I have merely begun making caps, and that I'm miles away fron most other artisans, but I still need to know if this specific look is due to me doing things wrong or due to the resin itself! Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this specific problem?

--- End quote ---

It's likely due to the colorants you are using.  If you use colors which resemble the opacity and color candy the keys will look like candy.  I am very careful with what I use to color my keys.  You will have to source a good polymeric colorant supplier like Milliken Chemical and see to whom they distribute in your country.  This goes back to my earlier comments about talking with your chemical supplier.  They will have much better resources than any of the artisans on GH due to their knowledge of the product they are making/selling.  They need to make things that people will use, so a lot of times they have to answer questions like the ones you are bringing here.

As for what's on topic... bubble management and details can be improved with the right shop tools for your chosen RTV/platinum cure silicones and resins.

Zorberema:

--- Quote from: Binge on Wed, 04 November 2015, 17:34:54 ---
--- Quote from: Zorberema on Wed, 04 November 2015, 17:14:48 ---
--- Quote from: Binge on Wed, 04 November 2015, 16:44:27 ---
--- Quote from: Zorberema on Wed, 04 November 2015, 16:37:52 ---
--- Quote from: Binge on Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:59:15 ---
--- Quote from: zlittell on Wed, 04 November 2015, 13:04:25 ---What do you generally use as your casting resin?  Do you personally use aluminum molds or silicone.  Have been talking to a buddy with a degree in industrial design who has experience with casting stuff.  He seemed intrigued by the subculture lol

--- End quote ---

I don't want to share this kind of information because you will not benefit from me telling you to buy a product.  You will benefit from reading about casting and talking to your chemical manufacturer of choice about their products.

--- End quote ---

I've been looking around for quite a while for improvement of my current resin, but still haven't found any good manufacturers that ship to Sweden/ Europe... Do you know of/ could you recommend any? Been reading through the thread, really usefull information coming from experienced artisans! Thank you very much for sharing, it really helps a lot!

--- End quote ---

What is the issue with your resin?  I doubt the resin is the issue.  It is probably environmental during the cure.

--- End quote ---

I've been trying out many different methods to inprove my casting; mainly to reduce bubbles/ improve details. The problem I've been having is that the caps, as many have pointed out, have the texture and looks of "candy". I've seen several other artisans having this look while beginning making caps, such as katzenkinder in his first sales. I've very recently invested in new sculpting materials which greatly improves the texture/ details of the caps; I haven't made any molds using these though. I will see how this looks soon, but I doubt it will fix this specific problem, as the same texture still applies to for example blanks. I am aware that I have merely begun making caps, and that I'm miles away fron most other artisans, but I still need to know if this specific look is due to me doing things wrong or due to the resin itself! Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this specific problem?

--- End quote ---

It's likely due to the colorants you are using.  If you use colors which resemble the opacity and color candy the keys will look like candy.  I am very careful with what I use to color my keys.  You will have to source a good polymeric colorant supplier like Milliken Chemical and see to whom they distribute in your country.  This goes back to my earlier comments about talking with your chemical supplier.  They will have much better resources than any of the artisans on GH due to their knowledge of the product they are making/selling.  They need to make things that people will use, so a lot of times they have to answer questions like the ones you are bringing here.

As for what's on topic... bubble management and details can be improved with the right shop tools for your chosen RTV/platinum cure silicones and resins.

--- End quote ---

Not sure why, but haven't thought about the colors doing this at all, but when you say it it makes sense. The person that recommended the colors to me have got the same texture as me, but I just assumed that he used a similar resin. Didnt't know the colors could do so much to the texture! I'll definitelly look up the different options that suppliers got in store; thanks for giving a name to use as reference in my search! :)

MaNiFeX:

--- Quote from: Binge on Wed, 04 November 2015, 12:14:24 ---
--- Quote from: MaNiFeX on Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:54:36 ---My question is about bubbles.  Many new cap makers have little bubbles when they first start out.  I understand pressure is a good way to get rid of this, but as someone who has done traditional metal casting, this seems a little daunting to take on at first.

Can you use a shake table or some sort of non-disruptive agitation to rid yourself of bubbles?  Or is resin not viscous enough.  Thanks guys!

--- End quote ---
So many different kinds of resin... all with different viscosities and surface tensions.  The surfactant would help bubbles escape.  As to agitation the standard methods of degassing are far more effective because they cause less kinetic energy conversion to heat.  Most people seldom consider the catalysts cause a thermal reaction which can be enhanced with kinetic forces.  Vibrating tables will cause your thermoset reactions to catalyze more quickly.  They are much better suited for silicone degasing on a budget.  Ultrasonic is more superior for silicone and resins, but the cost for a large unit can be equal to the industrial casting aids, pressure/vac chambers, in which we dabble.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the insight.  I love all the artist/industrial comparisons with regard to methodology. 

That's really great that your company has gotten funding enough to get to that level.  Love the caps, BTW,really impressive.

MaNiFeX:

--- Quote from: bcredbottle on Wed, 04 November 2015, 11:02:47 ---
--- Quote from: MaNiFeX on Wed, 04 November 2015, 10:54:36 ---My question is about bubbles.  Many new cap makers have little bubbles when they first start out.  I understand pressure is a good way to get rid of this, but as someone who has done traditional metal casting, this seems a little daunting to take on at first.

Can you use a shake table or some sort of non-disruptive agitation to rid yourself of bubbles?  Or is resin not viscous enough.  Thanks guys!

--- End quote ---

I think Binge is right. I've tried almost every method to stop it. I'm just gonna have to either get pressure (or vac) or just accept the bubbles.

This only applies to clear resin. If you have bubbles with white resin your problem is just in the way you cast generally (mixing the resin too violently, usually)

--- End quote ---

The only time I've used a vac chamber was to remove butane from an organic material.   ^-^

How does this work with casting?

*mod edit*  Keep my threads safe for work.

*MaNiFeX edit* OK, apologies.  It's not been an issue where I live/work for a loooooong time.  I forget.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version