Author Topic: [IC] Alpha65 - Gasket Mounted 65% (Project Retired)  (Read 38947 times)

Offline Esheu2

[IC] Alpha65 - Gasket Mounted 65% (Project Retired)
« on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 08:18:57 »
Alpha65

I have decided to retire this project

More
Hey guys! I would like to present to all of you a project that I have been working on for the past couple of months.
Because this is the first board that I have brought to the public eye, I decided to name it after the first letter in the Greek alphabet.

Wolf art on the weight because I like wolves.
Fun fact: The idea that the alpha in a wolf pack is the strongest and commands submission from its pack is a misconception. The wolves in charge of packs are usually just the oldest and most experienced of the pack.

Details
  • Isolated Gasket Mount
  • Anodized 5052 Aluminum for the Top and Bottom Case
  • Sandblasted Brass Weight and Badge
  • 6.5 Degree Typing Angle
  • 17mm Front Typing Height
  • Centered USB-C daughterboard
  • QMK/VIA compatible PCB
  • Pricing: TBA

I chose to go with a relatively low typing angle at 6.5 degrees and front lip height of 17mm for my own comfort. I have found that my preferred range for typing angles is between 5 degrees and 7.5 degrees.
Any lower feels awkward. Any higher results in strain on my wrists. Similarly, a typing height of over 20mm results in my wrists losing contact with my desk, forcing me to keep my hands floating. I find this tiring so I made the typing height as low as possible.

I decided to use Poron for the gaskets for its damping qualities.

Supported Layouts

First and foremost, I designed the Alpha65 and its layout around what I find the most aesthetically pleasing and functionally suitable for my own use case. As such, it will feature a forced Tsangan bottom row. The board will support standard and stepped Caps Lock as well as standard and split backspace options.
The original design I had made almost two years ago called for a Winkeyless bottom row. But as time moved on, so had my tastes. I no longer like the aesthetics of WKL bottom row on 65% boards. As such, I got rid of that option to simplify logistics.
The reason that I will not be supporting more layouts is that I want to avoid having a swiss cheese PCB and plate. A (mostly) fixed layout will avoid crooked keys and provide a better typing experience. So please do not ask me for ISO, standard bottom row, or support for whatever else.

Plate

The plate will be the standard 1.5mm thickness. I have placed relief cuts around the larger keys for a more consistent typing feel.
There will be a few choices for plate material:
  • Carbon Fiber
  • FR4
  • POM
I had originally planned on providing aluminum and brass plate options, but I was extremely underwhelmed and dissatisfied with how metal plates felt in isolation gasket mount boards. They made for a very stiff and dead typing feel.
Instead, there will only be plates made from composite materials and plastic. These are materials that have more lively typing feels and are balanced by the damping characteristics of the Poron gaskets.

The FR4 plate option will be perforated to allow it to be easily half plated it if desired:

Colors

A preliminary list of colors:
  • Black
  • Burgundy
  • Navy
I would like to stress that these colors are not final. There may be more colors or there may be fewer.

PCB

This beauty was designed by Trifelife. It has the following features:

• QMK and VIA Compatibility
  • ESD Protection
  • Universal Daughterboard

Click for pictures and videos of older revision:
More

More pictures in the build log: https://imgur.com/a/bXkVIVn

Click below for old specs and information:
More
Details
  • Isolated Gasket Mount
  • Anodized 6063 Aluminum for the Top and Bottom Case
  • Sandblasted Brass Weight and Badge
  • 6.5 Degree Typing Angle
  • 16.5mm Front Typing Height
  • Centered USB-C connector
  • PCB Compatible With QMK
  • Pricing: most likely mid-$300's (tentative estimate)

I chose to go with a relatively low typing angle at 6.5 degrees and front lip height of 16.5mm for my own comfort. I have found that my preferred range for typing angles is between 5 degrees and 7.5 degrees.
Any lower feels awkward. Any higher results in strain on my wrists. Similarly, a typing height of over 20mm results in my wrists losing contact with my desk, forcing me to keep my hands floating. I find this tiring so I made the typing height as low as possible.

I have not yet decided on the material that I will use for the gaskets, but I have narrowed down my choices to two options:
  • Polyurethane (like Poron)
  • Silicone
I am currently leaning towards Polyurethane. I have decided to use Poron for the gaskets for its superior dampening qualities compared to silicone.

Supported Layouts

First and foremost, I designed the Alpha65 and its layout around what I find the most aesthetically pleasing and functionally suitable for my own use case. As such, it will feature a winkeyless bottom row.
The board will support standard and stepped Caps Lock as well as standard and split backspace options.
I am not yet entirely sure whether or not I will have a winkey version, but if I do, it will be a Tsangan-style bottom row. WinKey will be an option.
The reason that I will not be supporting more layouts is that I want to avoid having a swiss cheese PCB and plate. A (mostly) fixed layout should avoid crooked keys and provide a better typing experience.

Plate

The plate will be the standard 1.5mm thickness. I have placed relief cuts around the larger keys for a more consistent typing feel.
There will be a few choices for plate material:
  • Aluminum
  • Brass
  • POM Plastic
Personally, POM is the material that I am most interested in trying out for this board.

Colors

A preliminary list of colors:
  • Dark Gray
  • Red
  • Blue Gray
  • Pink
I would like to stress that these colors are not final. There may be more colors or there may be fewer.

Prototype Pictures

FAQ

Q: Any ISO avail?
A: No

Q: Can you switch the alpha symbol and the wolf art so that the wolf is on the badge and the alpha is on the weight?
A: This is not possible. The badge is too small for something as detailed as the wolf to be properly machined into it.

Q: Even blockers pls?
A: No

More Information and Updates
The best place to contact me about information and updates regarding this board will be on Discord
Discord Server Invite: https://discord.gg/pYVsseU
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 April 2021, 16:34:06 by Esheu2 »
Ojou

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
Re: [IC] Alpha65 - Gasket Mounted 65%
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 08:27:08 »
Hey man, cool design.

One thing you might want to be careful of is that side profile/giant fillet -- it may be not practical to actually machine.

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 08:28:40 »
I would be in if there was a WinKey edition! Very nice

Offline rrsurmeier

• Attachments
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 08:29:35 »
We need iso support.

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 08:36:21 »
Hey man, cool design.

One thing you might want to be careful of is that side profile/giant fillet -- it may be not practical to actually machine.

Thanks! The manufacturer that I've been talking to has said that it shouldn't be an issue. So, hopefully it's ok.
Ojou

Offline kidpid

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 08:53:17 »
Interested in a WinKey version.

Offline trg1234

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 09:02:55 »
Very interested. The reason for the wolf art on the back made me laugh. :p also interested in winkey version
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 July 2019, 09:13:09 by trg1234 »

Offline KTM25

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 09:17:56 »
Very interested in this. Love the wolf design idea!

Offline toastyAU

• the breadcat
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 09:40:52 »
Will be following this very closely! That blue grey makes me feel some kinda way wew.
Please run this gb not for a few months now I need time to save up

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Dolphin v3 | En Dash | Hyphen | Isla | Zenith | Jules | HHKB Pro 2

Offline evorus5

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 09:47:16 »
Nice nice nice, any chance on Polycarb?

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 09:50:31 »
Looks nice! I like the white pom plate on the black board with that little touch of gold on the badge

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 10:01:28 »
Complaints from ISO people coming in 3, 2, 1...

Offline Marutks

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 10:03:53 »
I am interested in winkey layout,   I use a mac and I need command key.

Offline skrunk

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 10:18:01 »
Definitely interested in that POM plate option!
Past Keyboards : LZ CLS, Unikorn, Noxary X65, KFE CE, HHKB Pro2, Realforce TKL

Current Keyboards: FC660C, HHKB Pro1, GSKT-00

Offline Vov

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 10:20:38 »
Also interested in the board along with a POM plate!  :)
1.2 og | 2.0 add | Fallacy | Alpha65 | Ojou | Orion v2.5 | Kei | FMJ Poker | GSKT-00 | Unikorn 2.1

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 11:43:06 »
I think the top corner logo would look nice with a small version of the howling wolf. Might help unify the look between the bottom weight and top blocker. Nice to see POM plates too, my singa with a pom plate sounds so nice!

Offline probablyautistic

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 12:50:49 »
This looks great! Looking forward to seeing the group buy

Offline Marutks

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 14:29:13 »
Complaints from ISO people coming in 3, 2, 1...

LOL  I don't want ISO and I hate "universal" plates with huge cutouts to accomodate ISO enter.

Offline Cresc3nt

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 16:02:43 »
Add in white please  :D. That red looks amazing in the render though and I've never been interested in red boards.

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 17:13:39 »
We need iso support.

Sorry boys, probably no ISO avail.

Nice nice nice, any chance on Polycarb?

I want to keep the number of options for this board low so that I don't have to deal with the logistical nightmare of a Group Buy with a bunch of options.
HOWEVER, I will be open sourcing the plate files. So you can get a PC plate made if you want.

Add in white please  :D. That red looks amazing in the render though and I've never been interested in red boards.

I am by no means an expert, but I believe that white anodized aluminum is not actually possible to make. Sorry!

Interested in a WinKey version.

Seems like a bunch of people want winkey. I'll probably get around to making a winkey top later this week.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 July 2019, 17:36:00 by Sinapanis »
Ojou

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 20:15:32 »
OOOOOF. Any chance for a sick wolf logo option on the top where the 'a' is? O.O

Offline supernova

• discord channel
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 23:49:07 »
look nice

Offline DT.Heart

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 23:53:37 »
really nice. :)

Offline endler3117

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 00:18:40 »
this is dope i want 5..I'd love to see this get rolling

Offline papa

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 00:59:26 »
Fox lab leaf ?

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 01:43:51 »
Very nice ! Interested in winkey - thumbs up on tsangan.
Two questions :

- are you planning on any leds on the side ( above  the curve on the bottom piece ) like fusion 60? Would be dope,

- is this going to be a limited gb ?

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 02:42:10 »
That looks really nice ! Interested in the WK option :)

Edit: I like the board how it is, and I like the logo - my only change (except for the WK) would be to make the logo differently, as it is, I feel the inside of the alpha letter should be the same color as the board, if possible. If not, I'm happy with the way it looks :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 July 2019, 02:46:31 by JSaintS »

Offline papa

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 09:27:30 »

Offline Vireca

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 10:38:13 »
If you are going to have 2 blockers at least make the blockers equal. One bigger than other its really aesthetically ugly

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 11:53:35 »
Very nice & right up my alley! The main layout is exactly how I am gonna be setting up my E6.5, WKL with split BS & stepped caps. The design with those fillets on the sides is very striking & attractive to me so I hope that can be done as rendered. The only change I'd make is to have the howling wolf symbol on the top of the case & the Greek alpha letter on the brass weight. Awesome work here sir!

Offline courtcodes

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 15:14:29 »
And here I was thinking I'd already found my endgame 65% and then I see this...

Tooooo many awesome keebs being designed!

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 15:29:32 »
Very nice & right up my alley! The main layout is exactly how I am gonna be setting up my E6.5, WKL with split BS & stepped caps. The design with those fillets on the sides is very striking & attractive to me so I hope that can be done as rendered. The only change I'd make is to have the howling wolf symbol on the top of the case & the Greek alpha letter on the brass weight. Awesome work here sir!

OOOOOF. Any chance for a sick wolf logo option on the top where the 'a' is? O.O

This won't be happening. The badge is too small for something as detailed as the wolf art to be machined. I already had to make some changes to make it feasibly machinable on the weight.

In other news, I've made the winkey top in fusion360. I'll try to make some renders and post them later.
Ojou

Offline Ljit0

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 19:54:28 »
looks nice definitely in.

Offline Slimjim095

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 20:53:43 »
The side profile reminds me a lot of the leaf 60. You should try to be a little more creative with the side profiles. Otherwise it’s a nice board and I’m interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ÐREAÐ

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 03:37:23 »
The dark red version of this would look insane with GMK Sparta

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 15:07:39 »
Added an FAQ section for some of the questions that seemed to be popping up the most.
Ojou

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 17:08:50 »
If you can price this below $300, it would be an insta buy, else I'm going for Polaris @265 shipped

Offline Ljit0

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 23:41:16 »
If you can price this below $300, it would be an insta buy, else I'm going for Polaris @265 shipped
If he goes with a good factory it would be literally impossible to make it below 300, even the designer of Polaris doesn't have faith that all the boards will come out well.

Offline Asai

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 02:55:52 »
[...] even the designer of Polaris doesn't have faith that all the boards will come out well.
Really? Can't seem to find that part of him saying that (or am I just not attentive in the forums?)  :))

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 03:26:14 »
Interested for sure! :)

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 05:16:46 »

Polaris is able to hit that price point because it leverages the high quantity price breaks that KBDFans is able to hit.

This board would likely be a limited quantity run to make it easier on myself. As such, it would be unlikely that the price would be below $300.
I am VERY TENTATIVELY estimating a price in the mid-300's.
Ojou

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 07:20:46 »

Polaris is able to hit that price point because it leverages the high quantity price breaks that KBDFans is able to hit.

This board would likely be a limited quantity run to make it easier on myself. As such, it would be unlikely that the price would be below $300.

Will there be any Proxies? Do you know something about that already ?

because shipping to eu + eu taxes would estimate the total price (if 350$) to about ~440$ which is not favourable... i guess.

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 06:18:39 »

Will there be any Proxies? Do you know something about that already ?

because shipping to eu + eu taxes would estimate the total price (if 350$) to about ~440$ which is not favourable... i guess.

More likely than not, I will be fulfilling this by myself (assuming this goes to GB phase). Though, the GB would still be quite a ways off, so anything can happen.
Ojou

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 07:15:16 »
I see, thank you for the reply!!

I am none the less interested in this keyboard, it looks very appealing!

Offline Jetstream

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 18:10:37 »
whoa! This looks real nice. Hope it goes into GB

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 05:04:04 »
I have had a couple prototypes machined. I will wait until they get anodized before I post any pictures.
Ojou

Offline Zeldris23

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 21:27:46 »
Im in on this, hopefully it goes to GB

Offline ilemondrop

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 21:38:47 »
Super interested, I'm new so I've been looking for a clean 65% board for me to join. I like the thickness of the bezel, just enough to properly border and show off some colour.

Offline Esheu2

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 05:41:23 »
My manu sent me some proto pics!

The pink is a tad darker than I had anticipated and the red has more of an orange hue than I wanted. Though this may also be affected by a combination of lighting and camera quality. I might ask him to anodize small blocks of alu for color matching and testing from now on.
Still, the machining and finishing looks good. I'll reserve ultimate judgement for when I have the boards in my hands.

Note: That blue board is not an Alpha65 prototype. It seems to be the dude's own board. Thus, it is also not indicative of what the blue gray might look like.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 August 2019, 05:50:43 by Sinapanis »
Ojou

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 05:48:31 »
My manu sent me some proto pics!

Show Image

Show Image

The pink is a tad darker than I had anticipated and the red has more of an orange hue than I wanted. Though this may also be affected by a combination of lighting and camera quality. I might ask him to anodize small blocks of alu for color matching and testing from now on.
Still, the machining and finishing looks good. I'll reserve ultimate judgement for when I have the boards in my hands.

Note: That blue board is not a prototype. It seems to be the dude's own board. Thus, it is also not indicative of what the blue gray might look like.

Love seeing progress on this. I’m eyeing the dark red board, so I hope the manu gets the colors you envisioned next time.