Author Topic: StarCraft II with GeekHack  (Read 164932 times)

Offline Crypt

StarCraft II with GeekHack
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 21:16:49 »
Sanzenith has been my favorite player since the first time I saw him lose.

Manzenith fighting!

http://i.imgur.com/5IeQG.jpg

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #251 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 23:06:55 »
Quote from: manfaux;303160
ownd.

The up/down matches this season is gonna be like Code S semifinals, lmao.

Yeah :(  My liquibet is probably one for 16 or something over this season's GSL.  It's awesome to see a lot of players really stepping up their game since we last saw them.  Definitely closes the skill gap in Korea.

It also forces a lot of the top players who got eliminated to step up their game and not bank on just their past performances and ability.  They need to practice more, as those lower level players must have been practicing for-freakin-ever to get to where they are this season as opposed to previous seasons.

Closest analogy I can think of is BJ Penn from the UFC in his earlier days: one of the most skilled, talented fighters to ever step foot into the Octagon.  His only problem?  His lack of will to train.  Because he was such a gifted fighter, he could show up and win without having to train hard.

I don't know if you guys have been watching the IEM, but ST_Ace has been destroying everyone in his group.  5-0, never losing a single game.

Thing is he's not even in Code A anymore after being eliminated in the first round.

IdrA went 4-1, his only loss being to Ace.  It didn't appear like he had a tough time with the group either and just breezed on through.

I think with these results, as well as the surprises in Korea, it's safe to say that Korean players are just on another level as compared to the foreigners.  I clump IdrA in with the Koreans for this example as he's been a consistent Code S finisher every single season until he left.

Looks like IdrA made the right decision to leave Korea and join the foreign scene, the quality of competition is much lower.  Should lead to easier paydays for the Gracken.

Quote from: Crypt;303201
Sanzenith has been my favorite player since the first time I saw him lose.

Manzenith fighting!

http://i.imgur.com/5IeQG.jpg

No more SadZenith!

Time for him to be the face of NSHoSeo.  I am going to laugh so hard if he ends up winning this season's GSL.  Tastosis is going to have a lot of butt kissing to do :biggrin:
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline manfaux

« Reply #252 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 23:46:26 »
Quote from: sawedust;303236

Looks like IdrA made the right decision to leave Korea and join the foreign scene, the quality of competition is much lower.  Should lead to easier paydays for the Gracken.

definitely, but one less foreigner in GSL :(

seriously though, the foreigner SC2 is going nowhere(just like bw),  IEM invited the best European pros out there, i mean, tarson, morrow and whitera, plus qxc and idra, that's a westerner dream team right there, and guess what, STace roflstomped through the group 10-0. Ten-****ing-zero?

Squirtle is playing tomorrow and I expect nothing but domination just like ST ace.

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #253 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 02:42:53 »
Two more events going on tonight!  Definitely a wonderful time for SC2 to blossom.  It's unfortunate that some of us may not be able to watch it because of time differences, but for me I'm going to stay up to watch these games until my biological clock tells me to shut down.

We'll start off with GSL Code A!  Round of 16.  Because of all the KOs we've seen in the Ro32 in the Code S tournament, it's much more important to finish in the top two of Code A as you get to handpick your opponents.

GSL Code A Round of 16 - 1800 KST, GMT +9.  Your time may vary.
Best of 3 format.

IMLoSirA (Z) vs. ST.August (T)
Liquid`HuK (P) vs. TSL_Revival (Z)
ST.Virus (T) vs. GanZi (T)
ZeNEXCoca (Z) vs. LeenockfOu (Z)

HuK fighting!  For all of that showmanship (albeit for Kelly) in his victory ceremony in his last match, he has to pull through.  GomTV has Huk as an underdog against TSL.Revival for his next match.  It's not all bad though; it's been a horrible time for Zerg players right now, with Protoss finding ways to easily roll over them with a Deathball.  Even Artosis and IdrA referred to the deathball as imba.

Picking LoSirA, Huk, GanZi (so good in his last match against Haypro), and Leenock.

Intel Extreme Masters
Round robin play.  Top three advance.

dignitas.Sjow (T)
ST.Squirtle (P)
attax.Socke (P)
FnaticMSI.Fenix (T)
FOXMoon (Z)
FXOmOOnGLaDe (Z)

In my previous post, I mentioned that Koreans are clearly on another level over the foreign scene.  With that said, I expect Squirtle to roll over this entire group.  He even knocked out arguably the best SC2 player right now, IMMVP, in the GSTL.  Granted MVP got knocked out of Code S too, but many still think he's one of the best in the world right now.

Wondering how Sjow will do.  He talked a lot of smack about how foreigners can compete with Koreans, and how he could do well in the GSL if he had a spot.  Next big tournament he enters, he doesn't even make it past group play.  This is going to see if he's learned his lesson and backs up his talk.

Lots of fanboys for Moonglade out there!  Also hoping he'll do okay.  Haven't really gotten a chance to watch him play, but apparently his style has earned him a lot of fans.

Overall, I think Squirtle is a lock to advance.  The rest is up in the air.  I don't know if Moon is going to do well.  He may be Korean, but his Zerg is subpar at best when compared to others at his level.  He was a beast at WC3; it's a shame to see it hasn't carried over into SC2.  Perhaps a race change is in order?

Quote from: manfaux;303244
definitely, but one less foreigner in GSL :(

seriously though, the foreigner SC2 is going nowhere(just like bw),  IEM invited the best European pros out there, i mean, tarson, morrow and whitera, plus qxc and idra, that's a westerner dream team right there, and guess what, STace roflstomped through the group 10-0. Ten-****ing-zero?

Squirtle is playing tomorrow and I expect nothing but domination just like ST ace.

Completely agree.  Foreigners can't really compete with Koreans right now unless they're there.  Really Jinro and IdrA are the only ones who've shown they can hang with the big boys.

For qxc to go 0-5 was really shocking.  I thought as one of the best NA Terrans he'd easily win a few games.  I was extremely mistaken.  Not the best showing at all.

Morrow advanced, but not convincingly.  I think it's because Zerg is limited as a race right now.  We know he chose to play Zerg over Terran because of the challenge, and IdrA said if Morrow ever won a tournament as Zerg he'd never state the game was imba ever again.  To this day Morrow still hasn't won anything major as a Zerg player.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2011, 02:58:33 by sawedust »
QuanticGaming.com

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #254 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 03:23:58 »
Squirtle is out it seems, shame really as I liked his play. Then again, most of the players are interesting, so I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #255 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 03:47:35 »
I bet on the same guys sawed, though I only voted HuK cause he's a foreigner.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #256 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 04:44:51 »
Quote from: vun;303296
Squirtle is out it seems, shame really as I liked his play. Then again, most of the players are interesting, so I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Not yet, they're still in the round robin phase.  Without spoiling anything, Squirtle is still in the running to make it to the next round.

To prevent spoilers, we usually refrain from posting results until three days after.  Thing is, most people care more about the GSL than the IEM, so maybe we can talk about it here freely.  Up to everyone else yet.

Quote from: speakeasy;303303
I bet on the same guys sawed, though I only voted HuK cause he's a foreigner.

Those were some crazy PvZ games we just watched!  An even better interview following that, LOL.

Excited to watch GanZI play now.
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Crypt

« Reply #257 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 04:55:47 »
Qxc hasn't gotten much practice since his move to Spain.  There's an IEM replay pack up somewhere.  I watched a few of them...no impressive Terrans for me to study, though.  :P

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #258 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 04:57:51 »
Quote from: sawedust;303320

To prevent spoilers, we usually refrain from posting results until three days after.  Thing is, most people care more about the GSL than the IEM, so maybe we can talk about it here freely.  Up to everyone else yet.

Oh, sorry about that. I'm used to discuss SC2 wit some of my friends, so spoilers etc. has never been an issue. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Also, did Blizz and KeSPA kiss and make up yet? I heard KeSPA pulled a lot of good Korean teams from all tournaments until they reached an agreement with Blizz about tournament fees and stuff. Not sure what the status on that is now.

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #259 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 05:15:54 »
Quote from: Crypt;303321
Qxc hasn't gotten much practice since his move to Spain.  There's an IEM replay pack up somewhere.  I watched a few of them...no impressive Terrans for me to study, though.  :P

That's too bad.  He was a great player earlier in the year, but there are other priorities I guess.  Hard to find good replay packs now days.

Quote from: vun;303323
Oh, sorry about that. I'm used to discuss SC2 wit some of my friends, so spoilers etc. has never been an issue. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Also, did Blizz and KeSPA kiss and make up yet? I heard KeSPA pulled a lot of good Korean teams from all tournaments until they reached an agreement with Blizz about tournament fees and stuff. Not sure what the status on that is now.

No problem!  Glad we're on the same page!  I myself have had to hold back on results seeing as how everything gets posted instantly on TL.

Nah, I don't think they've made up yet, nor do I think it's going to happen soon.  Just going off what I've heard and read.  Not a BW player so I don't have much experience with the backstory, but I heard it was a huge mess.
QuanticGaming.com

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #260 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 05:23:03 »
I read a lot about the KeSPA vs Blizz when it all started, apparently KeSPA didn't like Blizz charging for tournaments with rewards above a certain amount, so they pulled all the teams they control out of any official tournaments. Or at least that's what I got out of it.

On a side note; Blizz said that with SC2 the online experience would be so smooth and good you would never ever need LAN.
10-15 minutes or so ago one of the players disconnected in the GSL. Not the first time that's happened, there were connection problems during one of the IEM tournaments as well. I can't really say whether or not it's Blizzard's fault, but it looks sort of bad.

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #261 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 05:28:19 »
WCG might not have any Blizz games either due to the issues with KeSPA.

KeSPA and Blizzard are both jerks. Neither should have a monopoly on broadcasting Starcraft gaming, it just hurts the growth of the scene.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 05:35:16 »
True, a lot of people are siding with KeSPA because "ActiBlizz is now a huge evil greedy corporation" or something along those lines, but KeSPA is just as greedy. Still, as if SC on TV wasn't far enough away, charging for tournaments has, as far as I've gathered, killed the possibility outside of Korea.

Also, I would still like a LAN option. Not a big issue, but I'd rather have it than not.

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 05:37:01 »
Quote from: vun;303327
I read a lot about the KeSPA vs Blizz when it all started, apparently KeSPA didn't like Blizz charging for tournaments with rewards above a certain amount, so they pulled all the teams they control out of any official tournaments. Or at least that's what I got out of it.

On a side note; Blizz said that with SC2 the online experience would be so smooth and good you would never ever need LAN.
10-15 minutes or so ago one of the players disconnected in the GSL. Not the first time that's happened, there were connection problems during one of the IEM tournaments as well. I can't really say whether or not it's Blizzard's fault, but it looks sort of bad.

Good to know.

Just having LAN play available could prevent all of this.  I know they want to get more money by forcing everyone to have a license in order to play online, but having disconnects during major tournaments is unacceptable.

Quote from: speakeasy;303329
WCG might not have any Blizz games either due to the issues with KeSPA.

KeSPA and Blizzard are both jerks. Neither should have a monopoly on broadcasting Starcraft gaming, it just hurts the growth of the scene.

Yeah, I also heard SC2 may and probably will be absent from WCG this year.  Why can't they just all get along?  It hurts the viewers and fans of e-sports in the long run.

For a game that's close to making a mark into the western world, I would think that Blizzard would want as much exposure as possible.  NASL and MLG will make SC2 recognizable in the US just for the prize pool amount.
QuanticGaming.com

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 05:50:13 »
Ideally for me, KeSPA would just fade away from relevance, and Blizz would loosen their stranglehold on the game, but it's not gonna happen. ActiBlizz has the SC2 scene by the nuts and isn't gonna let go. I just hope Korean leagues will form that ignore Blizz's TOS and force Blizz to capitulate. Or perhaps now that China has now legalized SC2, someone there will reverse engineer Battle.NET lol.

Younger players just starting out aren't gonna be playing BroodWar, and once a steady stream of new players isn't there to replace the retiring BW progamers, we're gonna see a reversal between SC2 and BW. Whereas now you see former BW scrubs looking for success in SC2, Broodwar is gonna be the game that those who can't cut it in pro SC2 play.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 06:12:25 »
I would really like to see more BW play, I'm not too good at BW but it is so fun to watch with good casters.

Also; this is an interesting read.

Edit: This is also relevant.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2011, 06:31:04 by vun »

Offline Qwerty

« Reply #266 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 08:03:29 »
Man I've been waking up late and only being able to catch the GSL an hour into it...

Something occurred to me today though... Kelly's the only person there who doesn't go by a handle name. In fact she's really the ONLY face in starcraft 2 who isn't using a handle...

Any ideas for what a good handle might be?

Offline manfaux

« Reply #267 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 10:58:19 »
Quote from: Qwerty;303374
Man I've been waking up late and only being able to catch the GSL an hour into it...

Something occurred to me today though... Kelly's the only person there who doesn't go by a handle name. In fact she's really the ONLY face in starcraft 2 who isn't using a handle...

MsMumblR

Offline manfaux

« Reply #268 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 10:59:18 »
Quote from: vun;303296

didn't even know Moon is at the IEM, another 5-0 sweep, lol, fail europeans.

Squirtle is having a bit of a downfall recently, he'll be back though.

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #269 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 13:44:35 »
Quote from: vun;303341
I would really like to see more BW play, I'm not too good at BW but it is so fun to watch with good casters.

Also; this is an interesting read.

Edit: This is also relevant.

Thanks for the links, gonna check that out fully when I have time.  Just took a quick glance.

Quote from: Qwerty;303374

Kelly does have a handle, it's KellyMilkies.  Much easier to say than Kelly Ong Xiao Wei.

As for good handles...

Quote from: manfaux;303473
didn't even know Moon is at the IEM, another 5-0 sweep, lol, fail europeans.

Squirtle is having a bit of a downfall recently, he'll be back though.

Epic, epic showdown to claim that third spot.  I went to sleep while they were still in the group stages some seven hours ago, woke up and found out they were still playing a three-way playoff to determine who ends up getting that third spot.

Definitely gonna have to go back and watch some VODs.  Not from Husky though, I want some real casters.
QuanticGaming.com

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #270 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 16:02:31 »
hehehe, a good number of those troll names are me :) I even made a guide on teamliquid about how to get your question asked in order to troll GOMtv forums last year.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

Offline Crypt

« Reply #271 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 16:06:03 »
Regarding the disconnect in GSL, the players aren't playing on Battle.net if they are still using the system that they claimed to be using before (from what I heard.)  Supposedly, they claim to be using their own private server to have GSL games on.

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #272 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 16:10:32 »
Yeah, I heard that Blizzard sets up their own private servers for the GSL and gives everyone an account on that server. You can tell they're not using their laddering accounts cause everyone's portraits is the noob default portrait.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

Offline Qwerty

« Reply #273 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 19:59:47 »
Quote from: speakeasy;303628
hehehe, a good number of those troll names are me :) I even made a guide on teamliquid about how to get your question asked in order to troll GOMtv forums last year.

Are you poopfeast420?

Will you sign my keyboard?

Offline Kelsin

« Reply #274 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 20:32:31 »
I found this site while looking for keyboards for sc2. Bought my first filco in the classifieds and then the second today (on amazon). Great site.

Can add me to the sc2 list: Kelsin.935

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #275 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 21:50:58 »
Quote from: Qwerty;303845
Are you poopfeast420?

Will you sign my keyboard?

nah, poopfeast420 was my inspiration early in season 2 though. I can't remember all my names, but I was SlayerSBoneR, MichaelGrackson (supposedly Day[9] mentioned this one in a state of the game podcast or something), MikeHawk420, TSL_Drugdealer, BigBaDonk420 + some other ones with 420 in them. I stopped in season 3 though because everyone and their little brother was doing it. Plus it's not the same now that it's John doing the interviews, since he was in on it.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #276 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 22:30:18 »
Quote from: Kelsin;303872
I found this site while looking for keyboards for sc2. Bought my first filco in the classifieds and then the second today (on amazon). Great site.

Can add me to the sc2 list: Kelsin.935

List has been updated.

Again, if you aren't on the list, please let me know. I'm kind of in and out of here at the moment and just a lot going on that has pulled my interest from SC. But I would like to make sure I am keeping everything updated so everyone can find each other and so on.

I also really need to invest in a season ticket so I can watch more of these matches; body simply cannot take staying up late often to watch these games right now.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #277 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 01:57:44 »
GSL Code S Round of 16 tonight!  2310 HST, your time may vary.

Match 1
Set 1: oGsMC (P) < Terminus RE > ZeNEXByun (T)
Set 2: oGsMC < Xel'Naga Caverns > ZeNEXByun
Set 3: oGsMC < Tal'Darim Altar > ZeNEXByun

Match 2
Set 1: Liquid'Jinro (T) < Metalopolis > HongUnPrime.WE (P)
Set 2: Liquid'Jinro < Tal'Darim Altar > HongUnPrime.WE
Set 3: Liquid'Jinro < Xel'Naga Caverns > HongUnPrime.WE

Match 3
Set 1: ST.July (Z) < Xel'Naga Caverns > TSL.Clide (T)
Set 2: ST.July < Crevasse > TSL.Clide
Set 3: ST.July < Scrap Station > TSL.Clide

Match 4
Set 1: CheckPrime.WE (Z) < Shakuras Plateau > oGsNaDa (T)
Set 2: CheckPrime.WE < Crossfire SE > oGsNaDa
Set 3: CheckPrime.WE < Crevasse > oGsNaDa

So many of my favorites fighting tonight!  Definitely cheering for MC, as he is my Protoss hero.  In my honest opinion, it's either Jinro or MC winning the entire tournament.  Both are playing very well right now.  It's too bad that both Jinro and MC are on the same side of the bracket; I would have loved to see a third GSL match between them in the finals.

On the other side of the bracket, Nada seems to be the favorite out of everyone else left.  He's been performing the best out of the eight on his side of the draw.  But as we have seen this season, previous successes in the GSL mean absolutely nothing in March's event.

Picks to win: MC, Jinro, Clide, Nada
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Crypt

« Reply #278 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 02:43:00 »
So, "funny" thing happened to me today in 2v2.  I had ~44 marines in a vortex.  The opponent had 3 hellions in it, also.  When the vortex expired, my marines instantly died.  It was a little upsetting, but I don't take team games too seriously, so it's okay!

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #279 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 03:40:55 »
IEM Quarterfinals going on as well!

(But who's going to watch that right now when you have the best players in the world fighting on GSL?)

2230 HST
EG.IdrA (Z) vs ST.Squirtle (P)

0045 HST
FXOmOOnGLaDe (Z) vs. mouz.Morrow (Z)

Both matches are best of five.
QuanticGaming.com

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #280 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 05:52:46 »
It is nice to live in a strange time zone, since GSL live is on when I wake up in the morning.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 10:01:58 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;304067
It is nice to live in a strange time zone, since GSL live is on when I wake up in the morning.

Same, this is awesome.

Also, regarding Blizz setting up special servers for the GSL, I'd say it's even more embarassing with disconnects.
Do they do that for IEM as well? Because I've seen disconnects there, too.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #282 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 10:27:18 »
They need a LAN option. Seriously. This "everything through B.Net" system is stupid.

Are they just afraid of piracy or something? That seems like a bizarre paranoia, given how SC1 sold (and still sells) like hotcakes despite being easily pirated.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #283 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 10:32:38 »
Removing LAN to fight piracy is stupid. Everyone knows pirates will find a way around most anti-pirating measures. Haven't really heard of anything that's worked so far. Only thing that will put people off pirating is making it a hell to install, like GTA4. Gamespy comrade and all that jazz, but that makes it a hell for those who pay for it as well.

Offline manfaux

« Reply #284 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 14:16:27 »
Quote from: sawedust;304041
IEM Quarterfinals going on as well!

(But who's going to watch that right now when you have the best players in the world fighting on GSL?)

2230 HST
EG.IdrA (Z) vs ST.Squirtle (P)

0045 HST
FXOmOOnGLaDe (Z) vs. mouz.Morrow (Z)

Both matches are best of five.

IEM is officially ruined by the koreans, all 3 making to the top 4 lol.

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #285 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 14:50:22 »
Quote from: manfaux;304416
IEM is officially ruined by the koreans, all 3 making to the top 4 lol.

Ruining it?

Naw.

Showing the world that even third-tier Korean SC2 players (not even in Code A) are better than top-tier foreign players?

Hell yeah.
QuanticGaming.com

Offline wongster

« Reply #286 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 17:06:00 »
It's ridiculous how good Korean players are.

How's the Filco treating you in SC2, sawedust?
CM Storm Cherry MX Red Tenkeyless - Black Engraved PBT, SC2, Novelty, RGBY, Red Esc Doubleshots
Leopold Cherry MX Brown Tenkeyless - Stock
IBM Model M #1390120 - March 11 1986

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #287 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 18:05:24 »
I've also noticed that Koreans are more prone to cheese tactics compared to Euro players, I might be wrong though as I don't have time to watch all the tournaments etc.
But to me it seems like a Korean BO3 is like this; 1. game is safe, next two cheese. Rarely see European players go stuff like one base Roach.

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #288 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 18:33:53 »
Quote from: wongster;304532
It's ridiculous how good Korean players are.

How's the Filco treating you in SC2, sawedust?

It's amazing.  In SC2, out of SC2, just typing, it's a joy.  Absolutely recommend a mechanical keyboard for anyone who really cares about comfort and performance.  Only thing is it's a little loud at night when everyone's sleeping.  I still tend to bottom out during games, but outside of it I've trained myself to thread lightly (har har).

Quote from: vun;304578
I've also noticed that Koreans are more prone to cheese tactics compared to Euro players, I might be wrong though as I don't have time to watch all the tournaments etc.
But to me it seems like a Korean BO3 is like this; 1. game is safe, next two cheese. Rarely see European players go stuff like one base Roach.

If you watch a lot of the VODs, historically those who play standard do not get very far in the GSL.  Standard works well on ladder and what not, but there are different strategies to be had in a BoX series.

Mental warfare, throwing your opponent off his game, these are all things that Korean players take into account.

As we've seen from IEM the three Korean players who aren't even in Code A beat all the highly acclaimed western players like QXC, IdrA, Morrow, WhiteRa, etc.  They don't need to resort to cheese to beat them, they can play regular and just ROFLstomp due to their greater talent and skill level.

But in Korea where standard isn't good enough because everyone knows how to counter standard play, you have to come up new tactics and gimmicks.

Imagine losing to something like a roach bust in game one of a Bo3.  You're one game behind and to think that you lost against something so cheesy can and may put you on tilt.  This little brain ninja action may or may not hinder your ability to play well in the next game, which decides your fate in the tournament.

Thus the reason why we see more cheesy play in Korea than in other places.
QuanticGaming.com

Offline TechWonV

« Reply #289 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 19:26:33 »
this is true
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #290 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 20:15:26 »
I can see the reasoning behind it, it's pretty solid actually.
I'm just speculating what impact it has on the difference between EU and Korea. Seems like the fact that they take StarCraft dead serious has a lot to say, I think someone said that to be able to compete with Koreans you had to be there. Which is probably part of the reason why IdrA was able to compete with them, think he moved back to the states recently though.

I'd say that if European players, and foreigners in general, wanted to raise themselves up to Korean level they need things like proper team with player housing where all the players either live together or at least spend a lot of time together practicing.
Small problem though, as far as I know that isn't going to work out financially in the long run. If there were a huge SC2 fanbase and dedicated TV channels we probably could, but it's not a big enough deal for that to become a reality as it is now.

Offline manfaux

« Reply #291 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 21:21:33 »
Quote from: vun;304652
I can see the reasoning behind it, it's pretty solid actually.
I'm just speculating what impact it has on the difference between EU and Korea. Seems like the fact that they take StarCraft dead serious has a lot to say, I think someone said that to be able to compete with Koreans you had to be there. Which is probably part of the reason why IdrA was able to compete with them, think he moved back to the states recently though.

I'd say that if European players, and foreigners in general, wanted to raise themselves up to Korean level they need things like proper team with player housing where all the players either live together or at least spend a lot of time together practicing.
Small problem though, as far as I know that isn't going to work out financially in the long run. If there were a huge SC2 fanbase and dedicated TV channels we probably could, but it's not a big enough deal for that to become a reality as it is now.

I think eating kimchi has a lot to do with being good at starcraft, I went to a local Asian supermarket and picked up some of those bottled kimchi's.

Now I eat a little bit of kimchi every night as an appetizer before dinner, and got promoted to Masters in no time!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #292 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 21:51:48 »
So basically you just need to stuff yourself with kimchi and you're golden?

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #293 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 23:43:34 »
For the kimchi, when I was in college I got much better at Broodwar when I would spend some Friday nights at the Korean foreign exchange students' apartment eating kimchi and playing with them.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #294 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 03:18:43 »
GSL Code A is on!  2310 HST start time, please adjust for your own time zone.

TSL_Rain (T) vs. ZeNEXJjun aka Destination (T)
SlayerSAlicia (P) vs. MvPNoblesse aka Cute (T)
oGsSuperNoVa (T) vs. TSL_aLive (T)
SlayerS_Jjob aka M (T) vs. TSL_Killer aka Sangho(P)

So maaaany aliases tonight.

Winners of all four matches get to play in the Up and Down matches to try and get into Code S.  Gonna be really tough this season when you look at all of the top-level names who have unfortunately been relegated to playing for Code S status.

Picks: Rain, Alicia, aLive, and Sangho.  Really wish M and Sangho were playing other people, I really like both of them.
QuanticGaming.com

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #295 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 03:47:33 »
IEM Semifinals will be on later!  0045 HST start time, please adjust for your own time zone.  All matches are best of five.

0045 HST
FOXMoon (Z) vs. ST_Squirtle (P)

0430 HST
FXOmOOnGLaDe (Z) vs. ST_Ace (P)

Two PvZs coming up!  Supposedly easy mode for Protoss as once they make it to the mid-game, Toss can just play with a deathball and 1a move for the win.  Perhaps we'll see some archon toilets as well? :)

Cheering for both Squirtle and Ace for a PvP final!

EDIT:  The winner of the IEM World Championship takes IdrA's spot in the GSL Up and Down match for a shot at making it to Code S.  What's great about it is no matter what, the person who wins the IEM gains a Code A spot.

All four of them lost in the first round of their Code A matches, so it's awesome for one of them to earn a spot with a tournament win.

Source.  WARNING: Spoilers for GSL Code A included.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 March 2011, 04:56:54 by sawedust »
QuanticGaming.com

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #296 on: Fri, 04 March 2011, 23:07:58 »
GSL Code S is on!  Early start tonight, we begin at 1910 HST.  Please adjust for your own time zone.  All matches are best of three.

Match 1
Set 1: NSH.San (P) < Scrap Station > oGsTheWinD (Z)
Set 2: NSH.San < Tal'Darim Altar > oGsTheWinD
Set 3: NSH.San < Xel'Naga Caverns > oGsTheWinD

Match 2
Set 1: TSL.Trickster (P) < Tal'Darim Altar > sCfOu (T)
Set 2: TSL.Trickster < Terminus RE > sCfOu
Set 3: TSL.Trickster < Scrap Station > sCfOu

Match 3
Set 1: oGsEnsnare (T) < Terminus RE > FOXLyn (T)
Set 2: oGsEnsnare < Shakuras Plateau > FOXLyn
Set 3: oGsEnsnare < Metalopolis > FOXLyn

Match 4
Set 1: anyproPrime.WE (P) < Terminus RE > ZeNEXKyrix (Z)
Set 2: anyproPrime.WE < Shakuras Plateau > ZeNEXKyrix
Set 3: anyproPrime.WE < Tal'Darim Altar > ZeNEXKyrix

Protoss players have been stomping Terrans easily in both Code S and Code A this season, so I expect Trickster to move on over sCfOu based on that fact.  sC is a very good player though, could he be the first Terran to win a TvP this season?

San is also fighting!  His amazing play against Nestea in the round-robin section made him a player to cheer for the rest of the tournament.  Hopefully he can pull a win out over TheWinD and move on!

As for the other games, I'm cheering for Ensnare and anypro.  Don't really care who wins in those matchups.
QuanticGaming.com

Offline manfaux

« Reply #297 on: Sat, 05 March 2011, 00:14:34 »
SadZenith is going to win this GSL.

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #298 on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 21:55:04 »
GSL Code A will be on tonight!  Start time is slated for 2310 HST, please adjust for your own time zone.  All matches will be best of three.

IMLoSirA (Z) vs. Liquid`HuK (P)
ST.Virus (T) vs. LeenockfOu (Z)
TSL_Rain (T) vs. SlayerSAlicia (P)
oGsSuperNoVa (T) vs. TSL_Killer (P)

All eight players will be moving on to the up and down matches for Code S, which means we may see a lot of new faces this upcoming season!  Or maybe not, now that I realize we have ballers like MVP, MKP, BoxeR, Fruitdealer, etc. in the up and down matches too.

Cheering for all the Protoss players tonight, and Leenock in his match against Virus.  Leenock is really a Code S player IMO, just had everyone picking on him in the up and down match last season alongside nerves and age.
QuanticGaming.com

Offline manfaux

« Reply #299 on: Mon, 07 March 2011, 11:29:28 »
Today's Code A was kinda boring, expected better games from TSL Rain :(