Author Topic: Type of keycaps to fit Ajazz AK33?  (Read 8624 times)

Offline Row009

Type of keycaps to fit Ajazz AK33?
« on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 16:29:45 »
Hello,

So I used to have an Ajazz Ak33 which I gave away a while ago...
I just ordered a new one and remembered that the two different sets of keycaps that Iv'e tried on it did not fit properly (because of the keyboard's aluminum plate which is mounted above the PCB).
Would anyone happen to know which type of keycaps I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Offline Tactile

Re: Type of keycaps to fit Ajazz AK33?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 16:43:53 »
It's the keycap sizes which will cause a problem. I'm not aware of any sets which will cover this one.
196087-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline Row009

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 17:01:50 »
It's the keycap sizes which will cause a problem. I'm not aware of any sets which will cover this one.
(Attachment Link)

I'm actually just looking to replace the letter keycaps...
If I remember correctly the problem I had last time was the height of the keycap's "skirt", it simply required longer travel distance than the board can allow (due to the raised aluminum plate above the actual PCB).

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 17:20:36 »
I don't know how the plate could cause a problem. That type of assembly is quite common. Here's a very popular keyboard, the Poker 3, and folks have no problem swapping keycaps on that one.
196089-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline Row009

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 17:49:58 »
I don't know how the plate could cause a problem. That type of assembly is quite common. Here's a very popular keyboard, the Poker 3, and folks have no problem swapping keycaps on that one.
(Attachment Link)

You got me thinking, and it might have actually been a different keyboard and not my Ajazz (I did have a similar Chinese one at the time) I was having that problem with... However, it was indeed the problem I've described.
The plate was raised way above the switches and mounting "normal" keycaps was possible but it would not actuate due to the "skirt" hitting the plate and preventing further travel of the raised stem.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 18:02:02 »
If just replacing standard Alpha's or 1u keycaps, should be minimum issue. The funky 1.25/1.5u keys and right column nav key profiles will be trickier to match. Best bet for whole set replacement will be uniform profile like DSA, XDA, or 3SA, and most likely blanks will have to be involved.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 18:07:58 »
You got me thinking, and it might have actually been a different keyboard and not my Ajazz (I did have a similar Chinese one at the time) I was having that problem with... However, it was indeed the problem I've described.
The plate was raised way above the switches and mounting "normal" keycaps was possible but it would not actuate due to the "skirt" hitting the plate and preventing further travel of the raised stem.

I don't know what keyboard you're talking about but that sounds really weird...

Most keyboards have plates, even if they're not a floating key design where the plate doubles as the top housing they're still there.  MX switches (assuming they were MX switches...) are designed to mount into plates in only one position.  If they somehow positioned things so that the plate was above the normal mounting point then the plate wouldn't actually be doing anything because it wouldn't be holding the switches in place.

So either:
1. It was a super-thick plate that extended significantly higher than a normal plate.  But why would anyone do that, especially cheap Chinese keyboard makers since it would increase material costs with no real benefit?
2. They weren't MX switches at all (could still have an MX-compatible mount though).  But even then most switches are designed similarly so I don't know what they would be...
3. You're misremembering something.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 00:31:20 »
Unless you had a prototype of the Vortex R4ce with low-profile cherry switches (still unreleased) that still doesn't make sense.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline Row009

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 12:57:59 »

I don't know what keyboard you're talking about but that sounds really weird...

Most keyboards have plates, even if they're not a floating key design where the plate doubles as the top housing they're still there.  MX switches (assuming they were MX switches...) are designed to mount into plates in only one position.  If they somehow positioned things so that the plate was above the normal mounting point then the plate wouldn't actually be doing anything because it wouldn't be holding the switches in place.

So either:
1. It was a super-thick plate that extended significantly higher than a normal plate.  But why would anyone do that, especially cheap Chinese keyboard makers since it would increase material costs with no real benefit?
2. They weren't MX switches at all (could still have an MX-compatible mount though).  But even then most switches are designed similarly so I don't know what they would be...
3. You're misremembering something.

Unless you had a prototype of the Vortex R4ce with low-profile cherry switches (still unreleased) that still doesn't make sense.

I guess I'll just have to wait until it arrives. By the way, the other keyboard I referred to was a LINGBAO something (although it's obviously an OEM with many generic brands).

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 15:07:38 »
(Attachment Link)

I'm actually just looking to replace the letter keycaps...
If I remember correctly the problem I had last time was the height of the keycap's "skirt", it simply required longer travel distance than the board can allow (due to the raised aluminum plate above the actual PCB).
Ajazz has a different bottom row

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 01:09:55 »
I found this topic via Google while I'm looking for full set of keycaps for Ajazz AK33.

Anyways, seems like you said that you're only looking for keycaps for letter. So I created this account to reply your topic. Hope that bump 3 months old topic isn't against the rules here.

I switch my Razer BlackWidow(2012)'s letter keycaps with AK33 and it's seems to fit perfectly (like you can see in the pictures). A bit bigger in width/height and thinner than AK33's button, but still fit. I think you could try the same thing by buy letter keycaps for BlackWidow and replace it on AK33.

« Last Edit: Tue, 31 July 2018, 01:11:45 by insensitivecoconut »

Offline killyou

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 10:24:59 »
There are various 60% and 65% options including aforementioned Pok3r, which you can buy as low as $70-80. I managed to buy a new one for $80. It comes with very good aluminum case, programmability, PBT keycaps and it's all standard saving you the headache of mismatching keycaps as you can fit anything there. I own two and I can't recommend them enough.