Author Topic: Ducky 6 key switch or New Ducky 3  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Prozac1964

Ducky 6 key switch or New Ducky 3
« on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 21:18:51 »
My first post about my boards.

In 2010 I bought my first mechanical keyboard a:  Filco Majestic with MX Black key switches.  Had a lot of fun with that board gaming, typing, writing fiction, etc. then it finally died in 2014.

Next I got a Ducky Shine 3 with green backlighting and Cherry MX Black switches. It was my favorite!  Tons of gaming, but still a  lot of writing. It had the best most bright lights. Every key was so bright and clear, but after too many spills (beer, coffee, Gatorade and even food) it died to! 

Anyway, I purchased a Ducky Shine 6 in 2018.  I was so pumped to get it but when it arrived I was pretty disappointed in the backlighting and the letter engraving.  All the letters were so thin compared to the Ducky Shine 3.  The keys could never produce enough light.  My vision is poor so you can see how that would not be good. 

Recently, I put some of my Shine 3 keycaps, (number pad keys),  with full height on my 6.  But it didn't work because the shaft of the key switch kept the keys at half mast - lol.  So now I'm screwed.  Should I just put the Shine 6 keys, back together and buy a new Ducky Shine 3 board, since it's my favorite???

I want to cover as much backlight between the keycaps, in the Shine 6, but I don't think it's possible. 

SO:  1. I can reinstall Shine 6 keys or
        2.  Buy a new Ducky Shine 3
Am I missing anything here, I am a noob, but I'm very teachable.

Thanks for your time,  Prozac

**I have photos of both boards how should I post them??? Or am I allowed to?
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 January 2019, 22:05:59 by Prozac1964 »

Offline seville57

Re: Ducky 6 key switch or New Ducky 3
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 06:14:09 »
My first post about my boards.

In 2010 I bought my first mechanical keyboard a:  Filco Majestic with MX Black key switches.  Had a lot of fun with that board gaming, typing, writing fiction, etc. then it finally died in 2014.

Next I got a Ducky Shine 3 with green backlighting and Cherry MX Black switches. It was my favorite!  Tons of gaming, but still a  lot of writing. It had the best most bright lights. Every key was so bright and clear, but after too many spills (beer, coffee, Gatorade and even food) it died to! 

Anyway, I purchased a Ducky Shine 6 in 2018.  I was so pumped to get it but when it arrived I was pretty disappointed in the backlighting and the letter engraving.  All the letters were so thin compared to the Ducky Shine 3.  The keys could never produce enough light.  My vision is poor so you can see how that would not be good. 

Recently, I put some of my Shine 3 keycaps, (number pad keys),  with full height on my 6.  But it didn't work because the shaft of the key switch kept the keys at half mast - lol.  So now I'm screwed.  Should I just put the Shine 6 keys, back together and buy a new Ducky Shine 3 board, since it's my favorite???

I want to cover as much backlight between the keycaps, in the Shine 6, but I don't think it's possible. 

SO:  1. I can reinstall Shine 6 keys or
        2.  Buy a new Ducky Shine 3
Am I missing anything here, I am a noob, but I'm very teachable.

Thanks for your time,  Prozac

**I have photos of both boards how should I post them??? Or am I allowed to?

Have some Ducky Shine 2 ISO/Nordic layout, 3, 4 and Ducky One (ANSI layout) but  after the ugly "Bigfoot" Shine 4 design, no more Ducky Shine keyboards for me.

1. I have  some keycaps sets and sometimes I replace the Ducky orginal keycaps with something more colorful set, as Ducky have standard bottom row (Ctrl, Win, Alt and FN/Menu size = 1x1.25 and Spacebar size = 1x6.25) 99% of all sets (Cherry MX) fits (read the text before buyin).

2. Ducky don't make Shine 3 anymore or do you know a shop who still have them in stock?

I can't show any pictures now, at work but later when got home I can post some bad pictures.

Standard bottom row link: http://www.maxkeyboard.com/mechanical-keycap-layout-and-size-chart.html

The Ducky, Das row in the link showin a standard bottom row.

Note - some keycaps sets are not Backlit.

« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2019, 07:41:52 by seville57 »

Offline Prozac1964

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 08:12:47 »
Thank you so much for your reply! :)  Yep I knew Ducky Shine 3's were pretty much gone, but I've seen a few here and there.
Heck, if I could just remove the Shine 6 key caps and replace with anything that gives more light through the cap and much less
light between the caps, it would be my main board.

Thanks for the pics you will post later, I'm interested. :)

I've got to learn how to post pics here at geekhack, so members can better see my problem.
Anyway, I'm sure the image info posting guide is somewhere. :D

Thanks again for your advice!

Offline Prozac1964

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 08:31:10 »
I think I found the image thing. :)  Here are 2 cell phone pics of the Shine 6 with Shine 3 Number Keys installed.
You can see how crappy it looks.  Hope this helps.

Offline seville57

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 09:11:54 »
Yes, looks no good.

Here is some bad pictures.

My Ducky One RGB YOTG, Cherry MX Black. Orginal keycaps.

With the RGB on.

With Jukebox SA keycaps set. The 2 orange pumpkins don't belong to the Jukebox set.

With Tai - Hao Miami set and matchin cable. This set is/was only 104 keys.

1 of my Ducky Shine 3 with Royal Navy keycaps set.

My Ducky Shine 3 the "Butterboard".

My ISO/Nordic Ducky Shine 2, Cherry MX Brown. The pink keycaps are original.

With the LEDs on.

All keyboards are still workin.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2019, 09:55:49 by seville57 »

Offline Prozac1964

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 10:32:03 »
Dang!  :eek:

Nice boards!!!  But what if I want lights?  Are there any good key sets out there for me?
Essentially, Shine 3 keycaps on a Shine 6 board....

Crap, I should just go in search of a Ducky Shine 3 again... :D

Offline Prozac1964

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 10:34:43 »
btw, thanks so much for the nice photos, and  info
(i'm still a noob here LOL)

Offline seville57

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 15:42:31 »
btw, thanks so much for the nice photos, and  info
(i'm still a noob here LOL)

You're welcome.

Dang!  :eek:

Nice boards!!!  But what if I want lights?  Are there any good key sets out there for me?
Essentially, Shine 3 keycaps on a Shine 6 board....

Crap, I should just go in search of a Ducky Shine 3 again... :D

Very good question about the lights, sometimes there are keycaps sets GB:s (GroupBuys) on Massdrop but most of the sets are non Backlit + most sets are only 104 keys sets and you have to join the GB + wait some time before you get it. Right now there is a GB on a 108 keys Rainbow or a Blue Backlit set: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/backlit-doubleshot-gradient-pbt-keycap-set

A picture of the Rainbow set.

« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2019, 16:32:28 by seville57 »

Offline Prozac1964

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 18:41:12 »
Wow!  Thanks for the link!  :eek:  :thumb:

When it comes to everything about mechanical keyboards I have so much to learn.
I'm glad I found this site!  Thanks again for all the help.