Author Topic: [GB] GMK Necro | Available on Originative.co  (Read 158678 times)

Offline fendent

• * Maker
Re: [GB] GMK Necro | Available on Originative.co
« Reply #600 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 20:54:38 »
the greenish alphas still dont explain how the mods were transferred from gray to a purple?

"grey" really isn't a colour all its own (in most cases that you're dealing with since you typically want to have a grey that matches with the rest of the colours) and is subject to the same principles as other colours are. Different lighting produces different looking results depending on how much of the base colour is refracted.

This isn't an explanation of what necessarily happened here, but it's why you can see a variation between what's supposed to be "grey".

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #601 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 03:21:12 »
Mm gonna be interesting mixed with GMK Mint Dolch. Will post results on arrival :p

Offline the_mihalich

« Reply #602 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 13:33:30 »
Pixel XL gen 1. Grey British morning weather/light. Pretty hard to take colour accurate photo.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Could you make a photos of keycaps on the box (which they came in) in different places - like in your room, near open window with overcast light - and with flash?

I think I can welcome everyone into nice and happy world of color matching

You can read this post https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98240.msg2681543
And some more on metamerism http://reilley4color.blogspot.com/2015/12/metamerism.html

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #603 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 20:19:49 »
Just FYI, I emailed originative co today and they plan to ship out this week after they are done raffling artisans.

Offline Starius

« Reply #604 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 15:17:09 »
I got a email from Originative.
I assumed it was a tracking invoice.  It was not. 

So mysterious. So unexpected. So expensive.

I bought it.
😳

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #605 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 02:19:15 »
Did the collab with Bro ever happen? Or did the direction change to ETF?

Offline jessica

• Formerly CuteDreamsOfYou & Brazzers
  • HHKB is the only good layout
« Reply #606 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 16:34:25 »
Did the collab with Bro ever happen? Or did the direction change to ETF?

Bro is making artisans too :) Last I heard a few weeks ago, he was doing the colour matching process with the caps I sent him. No idea on the ETA, though

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #607 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 18:57:45 »
did ETF get caps to match too?  I have a feeling these are gonna be neat

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #608 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 23:56:53 »
I just got this Necro set. My honest two cents....

If I never read a word of this thread I would’ve opened the box, taken one look, said "cool" then mounted them. I don't see Navy or Purple or wildish Green or anything inciting a three-alarm panic. Nor would I be so thrown-off from what I was expecting that I would have studied them under different tungsten, studio, and daylight conditions. To me, real-talk, in my office, they just look like what I ordered. You may disagree.

I don't mean to post these photos to incite riots (unedited, iPhone7). But casually speaking and to me they're just --- fine. Sure, I was secretly wondering if it would be the Handarbeit of muted greens and blues, but it wasn’t. Looking forward to what others think when they get theirs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2018, 10:49:32 by japanesehorrorwriter »

Offline JubJubCity

« Reply #609 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 00:55:56 »

If I had never read a word of this thread I would’ve opened the box, taken one look, said "cool" and mounted them. I don't see Navy or Purple or wildish Green or anything inciting a three-alarm panic. Nor would I be so thrown-off from what I was expecting that I would have studied them under different tungsten, studio, and daylight conditions. To me, real-talk, in my office, they just look like what I ordered. You may disagree.

I dont mean to post these photos to incite riots of comments (unedited, iPhone7). But casually speaking to me they're just --- fine. Sure, I was secretly wondering if it would be the Handarbeit of muted greens and blues, but it wasn’t. Looking forward to what others think when they get theirs.
Evil80 Brother in arms

Offline freespam

« Reply #610 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 22:50:25 »

If I never read a word of this thread I would’ve opened the box, taken one look, said "cool" then mounted them. I don't see Navy or Purple or wildish Green or anything inciting a three-alarm panic. Nor would I be so thrown-off from what I was expecting that I would have studied them under different tungsten, studio, and daylight conditions. To me, real-talk, in my office, they just look like what I ordered. You may disagree.

I don't mean to post these photos to incite riots (unedited, iPhone7). But casually speaking and to me they're just --- fine. Sure, I was secretly wondering if it would be the Handarbeit of muted greens and blues, but it wasn’t. Looking forward to what others think when they get theirs.

Do you mind taking a shot with the light blue keys...do they make the alphas look greener?  The set looks a ton better here.  I told myself I'd just have to wait for my set to arrive to see how it turned out, but the last few pics have looked encouraging!   :thumb:

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #611 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 22:58:48 »

Thank you for sharing your perspective and nice matching you have going on with that Murray  :thumb:

Offline jessica

« Reply #612 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 23:38:40 »
did ETF get caps to match too?  I have a feeling these are gonna be neat

ETF did get caps to match! Posted on the OCo Instagram earlier today.

Happy to hear, hope you enjoy the set :)

Offline Eric404atx

« Reply #613 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 14:22:02 »
Any idea when the rest of the sets are going to ship from originative? I still have not received an 'order shipped' email for my keyset yet.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #614 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 14:23:35 »
Anyone heard anything from Oco at all?

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #615 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 14:25:02 »
I received a shipping email but it's still in pre shipment for me.

Offline crashkaboom

« Reply #616 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 15:18:46 »
I was notified of my shipment on Dec 6th, and I received it yesterday, Dec 10th. I'm on the US east-coast.

My feels (mostly) align with japanesehorrorwriter's
  • The colors aren't that far off from the renders. I suspect that some of the more controversial photos were intentionally oversaturated HDR shots
  • In my opinion, the colors are slightly more saturated than the renders - the grey modifiers being the most egregious, since they seem much darker
  • Technically, it's not the colorway that I thought I was ordering, but it's still a beautiful GMK set

I'm going to try and fall in love with the keycaps that I received, but moving forward, I'll probably steer away from group buys where controlled samples and/or Pantones aren't utilized by the artist/organizer during the process.

* edit: typo

Offline Starius

« Reply #617 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 19:17:14 »

I have a tracking number and it appears to be in the hands of the USPS now. 
(Hasn't yet progressed enough for me to get a ETA.)

Offline Sissy

« Reply #618 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 19:20:56 »

same, I expect it not till January knowing the speed stuff arrives to me, still cant wait to see it in person and the ETF I won.

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #619 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 19:43:53 »

same, I expect it not till January knowing the speed stuff arrives to me, still cant wait to see it in person and the ETF I won.

Whelp, I am concerned. I have yet to hear anything yet...
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 December 2018, 19:45:53 by urbantheii »

Offline MajinGoten

« Reply #620 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 20:28:38 »

Whelp, I am concerned. I have yet to hear anything yet...

I haven't heard anything yet from Originative either.  The order is still marked as unfulfilled with no tracking number; being shipped to Canada.

Offline crashkaboom

« Reply #621 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 08:54:43 »
I haven't heard anything yet from Originative either.  The order is still marked as unfulfilled with no tracking number; being shipped to Canada.

Have you tried reaching out to Originative? Wendy was very responsive to emails when I had concerns.

Offline Eric404atx

« Reply #622 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 14:11:52 »

Have you tried reaching out to Originative? Wendy was very responsive to emails when I had concerns.

I sent an email the other day but no response yet

Offline MajinGoten

« Reply #623 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 14:38:03 »

I received a response from Wendy:
"Sorry about the delay. Choosing winners for the Nightcaps raffle caused a bit of delay, but we should to get to your order in the next couple days!"

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #624 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 18:31:12 »

I received a response from Wendy:
"Sorry about the delay. Choosing winners for the Nightcaps raffle caused a bit of delay, but we should to get to your order in the next couple days!"

Can confirm. I got a winning raffle email today, paid for it, then everything shipped this afternoon.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #625 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 23:44:37 »
Got my shipping today, currently fasting while I wait for eat the food.

Offline Jb8893

« Reply #626 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 19:03:43 »
Just got mine in the mail today, here's a few pics.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2018, 19:12:54 by Jb8893 »

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #627 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 19:27:12 »
That looks real nice!

Offline nineleveno

« Reply #628 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 20:24:32 »
Apparently I was a winner in the Nightcaps raffle... I have to admit, I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't get the appeal of ETF's artisans sometimes.

Offline freespam

nice!
« Reply #629 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 20:59:58 »

New wave of pics looking much much better!!!  Thanks for posting one with the light blue mods  :thumb:  I'm really excited to get mine now!

Offline repuls0r

« Reply #630 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 21:09:41 »
Very keen on the Fugthulu. If any winners wants to let theirs go pls hmu.
Matrix 8XV1.0  |  FMJ 80  |  SKOG  |  TGR Jane CE  |  Orion V2  |  Mech27  |  LZCP  |  TXCP  |  CPSQ  |  TX1800

Offline juntheboon

« Reply #631 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 22:55:12 »
Apparently I was a winner in the Nightcaps raffle... I have to admit, I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't get the appeal of ETF's artisans sometimes.

If you don't want it, I'll give it a good home! :)

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #632 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 23:48:23 »
Just received my set safe and sound, albeit much greener and much darker greyblue than I could have imagined in my wildest dreams :P Gotta ask, what happened to the dark blue color for the accent key legends? The pic on Originative shows a color code for dark blue but the legends are regular old black.. ETF seems to have went with the plan and included dark blue accents on the artisans. Sorry in advance if I missed the update, but were we supposed to have another custom color in the set?

Edit; welp I'm an idiot. Flipped the keys over and you can clearly see its a very dark blue.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 December 2018, 01:01:26 by lakeboredom »

Offline nineleveno

« Reply #633 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 01:12:52 »

If you don't want it, I'll give it a good home! :)

I've gotten a few PM's about this -- ultimately I sent OCo an email declining the invoice they sent, so I'm guessing they'll just pick someone new. $80 is a bit too steep for me to spend on something that I would just want to resell, especially when the prices for ETF's artisans seem to be all over the place. Hopefully it'll go to someone who will appreciate it much more than I would have.

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #634 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 04:11:15 »
I just realised the new pics actually look quite close to the renders, but at the same time, they don't really carry the "spirit" that the renders convey. Maybe it's something to do with the oversaturation (or lack of "muteness"), and in MY opinion, the end result is pretty unspectacular.

This is my very personal (and outsider's) view. If I had ordered and received this set, my reaction would have been close to when I first got the GMK Plum...
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #635 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 04:21:30 »
Still no news from zFrontier  :( :( :(

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #636 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 09:26:07 »
thx jessica! caps looks great! im so glad i finally got this set. u know i must say though that the only true necromancer is Jesus. when life has beaten me up, and my heart gets sad, angry, and hard, He resurrects it back to life every time. in fact, His amazing love always makes me wonder if i even had a heart to begin with and why i haven’t been using it all my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #637 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 14:23:08 »
Just got my set.
While I'm fairly happy with it, I think the gray is much darker than what is represented in the renders, even taking color correction into account.
I feel this creates a higher contrast across the set and detracts from the washed-out and "dead" vibe.
Definitely don't regret getting it but I think a lighter gray, basically the gray that is used for the word "Necro" on the box, would have made this set perfect.

Offline Starius

« Reply #638 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 12:33:48 »
Just got my set in the mail today. 
And wow, I see what people are talking about now because this is is very difficult to photograph accurately to what you see with your eye!
I gave up with my iphone, so I may try again later with my D800. 
But it's not just the kecaps themselves, but also the Originative Mystery artisan and even the GMK Necro box itself....they all showed up differently in my iphone pics compared to what I was seeing with my own eyes.  So I don't even want to share them at this point. 

All that being said, I agree with Elfick above... the set doesn't have that "washed out" look we were expecting, but its still a good colorway. 

I may try putting them on my black WASD keyboard later before I try photographing them properly. 

EDIT:  Also, I hope the Novelkeys Necro Deskmat is still in the works!

Offline freespam

« Reply #639 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 12:53:36 »
Got my set today!  I agree with most of the comments so far.  It loses some of the spirit of the renders, but it's nowhere close to the impression I got from Emir's pictures.  I can see what Jessica meant now about the grey blue mods.  In person they look much grayer and less blue than they do in my phone pics.  But anyways it's a great looking set...I really like it!

One small complaint is that the light blue keys have different text colors...when mixing and matching the light blue arrows and novelties that stood out to me a little.
light blue novelties - text color is the color of the regular mods
light blue mods (arrows, enter) - text color is darker than the novelties

The G is from SA carbon for comparison:

Offline jessica

« Reply #640 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 02:18:19 »
One small complaint is that the light blue keys have different text colors...when mixing and matching the light blue arrows and novelties that stood out to me a little.

Hi!
I'm happy to hear you got your set!
Though, I am curious what you mean by the accent colour legends, as they are both meant to be dark blue (on both the novelties and regular icon mods such as enter and arrows)

The legend colours are as intended in my sample set I got from GMK, so if you wouldn't mind taking pics of the keys (the top legends, as well as the underside of the key to show the doubleshot colour clearly) so that I can check it out? Because if the text colour on some of the blue keys is gray like the mods, that is an error on GMK's part and we'll go from there.

Thank you, have a good weekend!

Offline jessica

« Reply #641 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 02:25:23 »
Just got my set.
While I'm fairly happy with it, I think the gray is much darker than what is represented in the renders, even taking color correction into account.
I feel this creates a higher contrast across the set and detracts from the washed-out and "dead" vibe.
Definitely don't regret getting it but I think a lighter gray, basically the gray that is used for the word "Necro" on the box, would have made this set perfect.

Thanks for the input. This is one of those things I didn't account for unfortunately, which I 100% take the blame for.

Basically, I didn't consider that when the full set is together, rather than single keycaps like my samples, lighting plays entirely differently with the keys, making them look paler individually but more vibrant as a whole.

Same colours, different quantities, different results. It's incredibly frustrating, since it's something that seems so obvious to me now.
I do hope you all can enjoy the set in spite of this oversight

Offline freespam

« Reply #642 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 12:32:25 »

Hi!
I'm happy to hear you got your set!
Though, I am curious what you mean by the accent colour legends, as they are both meant to be dark blue (on both the novelties and regular icon mods such as enter and arrows)

The legend colours are as intended in my sample set I got from GMK, so if you wouldn't mind taking pics of the keys (the top legends, as well as the underside of the key to show the doubleshot colour clearly) so that I can check it out? Because if the text colour on some of the blue keys is gray like the mods, that is an error on GMK's part and we'll go from there.

Thank you, have a good weekend!

Here you go:

Offline nomoneyx

« Reply #643 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 20:41:17 »
I received my kit today.  All of the colors look good to me.  I was expecting the light blue caps to have more green in them, but I am still happy with how the set looks. 

209013-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 December 2018, 20:46:25 by nomoneyx »

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #644 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 09:32:52 »
Here are some pictures under various lighting conditions

Outside:

Inside with Flash:

Inside no Flash:

LED Bulb:

So while I do like the colors, I really wish everything was a lighter and more washed out color palette and more similar to the renders. I'll buy round 2 when it comes out and has the appropriate tweaks should such a thing ever occur  ;)
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #645 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 08:03:25 »
What was the name of the artisan you got (I am new to this area)?

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #646 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 12:03:38 »

Nighcaps Halfshell V2

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #647 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 12:59:22 »

Nighcaps Halfshell V2

Thanks!

Offline Nzo

• wish I was back in CA
« Reply #648 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 10:05:59 »
Received my set yesterday. The accent (teal) and mods (gray) look good. I really wish the gray was a bit more washed out like the renders, but atleast they’re not navy blue in person which some photos suggested.

The alphas on the other hand ruin the entire set. They’re green. Light mint green and nowhere near acceptable deviation from the renders which were cream with a very slight hint of green. Lesson learned I suppose to never join a GB without color codes since what was showed to us did not align with the designer’s vision. In hindsight, the reason for not wanting to share color codes should have been a red flag to me.

Going on mechmarket if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 December 2018, 10:09:39 by Nzo »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #649 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 11:41:44 »
Received my set yesterday. The accent (teal) and mods (gray) look good. I really wish the gray was a bit more washed out like the renders, but atleast they’re not navy blue in person which some photos suggested.

The alphas on the other hand ruin the entire set. They’re green. Light mint green and nowhere near acceptable deviation from the renders which were cream with a very slight hint of green. Lesson learned I suppose to never join a GB without color codes since what was showed to us did not align with the designer’s vision. In hindsight, the reason for not wanting to share color codes should have been a red flag to me.

Going on mechmarket if anyone is interested.

Yes, pretty much my exact feelings. The mods and accents are completely OK to me, I can live with them - but unfortunately the Alphas were waaaay to off to be acceptable to me.

For everyone that that received their sets and claim the render is accurate to what you got; look at this photo, then look down at your keyboard.